A Whirlwind Romance

This is a true story, about how love and kindness can carry us safely through adversity.  If this story has inspired you, please forward this message to ten of your friends and share your blessing.

(lonesome harmonica solo plays in background)

It’s the story of Rusty, a poor pooch whose home was flattened by a tornado.  Homeless and lost, Rusty was picked up by a kindly stranger with a car …

Sure, it's wreckage, but it's CUTE wreckage. It's PINK, see?

… where he met this little lady, another sad-eyed refugee with nowhere to go — and no one to love.

(forlorn oboe solo plays in background)

But Fate had other plans.  A tornado may have turned their lives upside-down, but the power of Love set things right again, and the pair became best friends.  And so they drove through the ravaged countryside …

(... and now we bring in the string section, maybe a harp glissando ...)

… and were soon joined by another dog, and … a cat.  Okay, now I’m not sure what to do here.  I mean, I was trying to work this whole romantic angle, but now … um … well, we can say that the other dog stopped by to borrow a cup of sugar, and …

... and the cat is, like, the wacky neighbor character ...

Oh, come on!!  Now I’ve got a cat and five dogs!  Sure, it’s nice that this guy is picking up all these homeless animals and all, but he’s totally screwing up my narrative!  All right, you know what?  Don’t send this to ten people, see if I care!  Man, this blows.

Oh, mellow out, Hemingway.  We got a seat right here; jump in.

Are we inspired yet, Rusty O.?

Comments

1. I am so TOUCHED.

2. that is definitely a TREAT

3. Damn, Meg’s really been upping her game, lately, and now Mike is clearly answering the challenge. It’s a Cute Overload throwdown! WHO WILL WIN?

4. Backseat snuggle fest!!

5. Tears in my eyes here, touching pictures.

6. PS — have I mentioned lately that marmies are *awesome*?

7. I love how Mr. Marmiepants is all chillin’ in the back, laying on the dogs.

8. scooterpants says:

Hound dog say-
    “kat make nice pee-low, mee like ryde in kar”

9. I literally had tears oozing up by the fourth picture which made the change in direction that much more hilarious.

10. That is pretty awesome that the pups and kitteh are all “we’re all in this together”. Sweet.

11. morganskye says:

This is so sweet! It’s great that the guy stepped up and took care of them. It’s just a shame that they were separated from their owners. I’d die if I left my kitty behind.

12. Ana Banana says:

I (heart) you stranger that picked up dogs/cat!

A

13. Michelle S says:

Another slam-dunk capshon series! I’ll be giggling all day at this. XD

14. metsakins says:

I got this sent to be in an email about a year ago, with a cap about if they can all get along why can’t we? I enjoyed it then, but NTMTOM, yo’ve taken it to a whole new level. (cat as wacky neighbor) *shakes head*

15. It’s an orgy, just admit it. A whirlwind romance caused by a whirlwind.

16. Scooterpants– Why are you talking like that?
    (just saw Young Frankenstein last night)

17. and the kindly stranger took them to live in his farmhouse, where they lived in peace and harmony to the end of their days.

18. Theresa, don’t get me started on YF, I could quote for an hour. Trying………..to………..resist.

19. snoopysnake says:

I rarely nuff, but I don’t like the hovertext on the wrecked house photo. CUTE wreckage? That’s someone’s HOME, for Pete’s sake! That’s not cute – a very tasteless hovertext. We shouldn’t make fun of someone’s misfortune like that.

20. Rapunzel210 says:

These are actually photos of animal rescues after Hurricane Katrina. I remember seeing them and bawling over them.

21. Steppy says it is a love story of the bestest kind. A kindly human stops and aids those who need it most. There is no better love on earth than to give so freely of yoruself and expect nothing in return. Now excuse me while I snorgle tummies and smile blissfully the rest of the day.

22. The last picture makes me very happy-everybody, including kitteh, is just chilling and relaxed in the knowledge that they are safe.

But it cracks me up too-I can’t tell where one puppeh begins and another ends! :)

23. I don’t think that’s cute. I think it’s sad and devestating and I hope all those animals find/found their humans.

24. Rapunzel210 – These pics are from the tornado that wiped out Greensburg, KS in 2007.

It’s an oldie but a goodie!

25. Troost&Frankie's mom says:

I think this is from the Greensburg, KS tornado. What a heartwarming story of someone who took the responsibility of saving these animals. Thanks, whoever you are.

26. Troost&Frankie's mom says:

Beat me to it, DKN.

27. @Erebella, YF seems to be one of those classic CO off-topic on-topics, IYKWIMAITYD. ;)

28. Yeah, I rarely “nuff” on here but seriously, NTMTOM you should change that hover text about the “cute” wreckage. it’s not funny. Otherwise, brilliant post!

This town has seen a complete turn around and I’m proud to say they’ve rebuilt their town in a green fashion. Go KANSAS:

29. Pic #5 – Make room for marmie boys! She’s all Marge in charge!

Okay, I love that a human was kind and compassionate and picking up these animals that were probably very afraid, and hungry, and tired, and confused, and sad. I love that they took comfort in one another. I hope they are all in happy and loving homes, whether with their previous animal families, or with new ones.

Happy Halloween everyone!

30. Ahem. That was supposed to be… whether with their previous HUMAN families, or with new ones. Too much sugar already and it’s only 9 AM here!

31. Capt' Tightpants says:

“the other dog stopped by to borrow a cup of sugar”

bow-chicka-meow-meow….

32. RE hovertexts: I think the “cute wreckage” is fine. The last one, on the other hand, should maybe be changed to “Chill the ?^@# out peeps, it’s just a hovertext.”

33. Naturally N'awlins Girl says:

You’re right Rapunzel. These pictures appeared on the local news in New Orleans shortly after Katrina Struck the area. Everyone that lives here understood exactly how those animal feel. Many are still homeless. The SPCA needs our support.

34. Oh come on brinnann, would you think it was cute if it were YOUR home? I doubt it.

35. *claps* Yay for rescuer and rescuees! :D

36. Think of it as re-affirming of the good in the world and the tenacity of the human (maybe mammal) spirit.

They may have lost their individual homes but they’ve found a FAMILY.

37. Lend me some sugar. I am your neighbor.

38. Rapunzel210 says:

Hey Naturally N’awlins Girl, I live in the Florida panhandle, and after Hurricane Ivan in 2004, we were also hard hit by Dennis, Katrina, and Rita in 2005. Being an animal lover, I followed all the rescue accounts (and donated, of course). Very heartbreaking. What’s really bad is the shelters don’t allow animals. I could never leave any of mine behind (I have 3 cats and a dog), so I always hunker down.

39. Alright…proposal for a new CO rule – if you can’t realize/handle that MOST of this site is for humor and the lightening up of the work day (this would include the hovertexts) you can take your nuffington self and go trick or treat yourself. :)

Peace & love peeps. Peace & love.

40. My heart just *BOURST!* – what a mess…*Sigh*

41. I love that the kitty joined in the snuggle party. I hope that these little guys/girls find their previous families (as long as they are loving families!)…and they all live happily ever after!

42. Hello Kitty says:

Like the softy that I am, I teared up with Meg’s story. I hope they are all happy and together and trick or treating tonight! Happy Halloween C.O. lovers :)

43. Bunny, that line wasn’t supposed to be taken THAT seriously. Without the wreckage picture, the other pictures and the storyline couldn’t follow and Mike had to say something light-hearted in the hovertext because this site is about GOOD things. Besides, the whole post was about overcoming all the bad stuff and coming together peacefully (and cutely). So please look at the whole picture and the hope and compassion that goes along with it, okay?

44. LOL, Theo. Cute Throwdown.

Cute Thunderdome.

One Geek Enters.
    One Geek Leaves.

45. Awww! Beautiful story!

46. CoffeeCup says:

I was all prepared to saying, “chill, people” but I’m not noticing any nuffing, so I think CO has just made my nuff-radar go up before I even get to the posts and the “awww”s…

But really, this is “awww” inducing.

47. Nuffers:
    You DO realize that, just like teh Meggles, NOMTOM will probably make some other post in a few months that will make your panties go in a tight knot? All over again?
    Just inhaaaale slowly, and exhaaaale slowly. Eat some candies or get some Rescue Remedy, enjoy the ResQte™ AND MOVE ON. : D

NOMTOM:
    We love you and your posts~ <3

48. Bunny, Brinnann lives in the area hit by the latest Hurricane.. She lost friends and neighbors in that disaster… SO I suspect she knows exactly how she would feel.

49. THERESA, GUESS WHAT?!?!?! Right now on the classical station here, they’re playing the music from Young Frankenstein which is a Transvylanian lullaby written specifically for the movie. I recognized the violin they play in the movie to lure him back. It also has piano and it’s a pretty piece.

50. Oh man, I laughed so hard. Great posting.

51. berthaservant (in canada!) says:

On the road and no time to read all the comments right now but I love this post. Thanks, Nottomtomtomt and also mega-kudos to the resqte-er!

52. Bunny, Annie’s right. There are still people missing here, who will likely never be found after everything on the beach got washed away. And there are hundreds upon hundreds of people in my area whose houses were entirely underwater. But I still find a way to take it with a grain of salt, suck it up, and look for humor any way I can find it. Would you like me to despair over the cow who washed onto our friends’ second-story porch as the water receded from it, or rather have me make an I Can Haz Cheezburger Delivery joke?

53. Good luck, Berthaservant.

Sometimes I feel just like that cat entering a car full of strange dogs. That is what I got out of this, that one can be a cat in a car full of strange dogs and that the driver does care. Hey.

I come here to laugh or to tear up, I got both, I’m satisfied. Thanks.

54. Carolina2 says:

Wonderful! Inspiring! Beautiful! Thank God for people like that rescuer, and I’m so glad all the animals were able to get along in the car, despite the stress they were under at that moment. Why can’t people be more like animals? Really. The people we call ‘animals’ in a derogatory fashion are simply unevolved humans, NOT animals. It’s an insult to animals everywhere to call a human an animal…and yes, I DO know that technically we ARE. Still. Just sayin’.

55. Mary (the first) says:

I do love how the kitteh is surfin’ on top of the puppehs.. most (or all?) of whom she didn’t even know and of course, typically kits are suspicious of strange pups but in this case she seems to know they are all harmless and just looking to be safe. Very sweet….

56. Here seems to a be a complete thread with more pictures – and if you look at the very last one, I think there’s another kitty! Do I spy calico paws on the top left?

57. Carolina2 — point taken — but all the same, I prefer humans to behave more like better humans. You sure as heck don’t want *me* acting more like an animal, for starters.

58. Kestrien — YES YOU DO SPY.

59. Boomer's Babysitter says:

brinnann – Wow. A Cow on the 2nd story porch…?! My mind’s about twisted enough to say, “go for the ICHC joke,” meaning no disrespect, of course. It’s like a Dali painting, or something. For those of us who live in areas that don’t generally get that kind of storms, the images almost seem unreal, until we meet people who’ve been through it. I’m glad this group of pets were saved. Love the cat with all the dogs… definitely the crazy neighbor! :-)

60. It’s a lovely example of adversity overcoming hatred. Our differences are nothing.

61. “roll roll, roll in da hay”

are there like three bassett/beagle type dowrgs in that pile?

62. The people who own that house probably wouldn’t be offended by that hovertext. Even us Kansans have a sense of humor, specially when it comes to tornado damage (or ice storms that cut off the power for a week).

63. Scooterpants says:

Teresa- Cuz I can.
    here ya go-

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: For the experiment to be a success, all of the body parts must be enlarged.

Inga: His veins, his feet, his hands, his organs vould all have to be increased in size.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Exactly.

Inga: He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: That goes without saying.

Inga: Voof.

Igor: He’s going to be very popular.

64. eikoleigh says:

aaaah…. :-)

65. So was there ever a story on what became of this troupe? It is amazing that they all bonded so quickly – I hope some of them were able to stay together!

66. littledogrescue says:

Looks like an Interstate 95-N rescue dog transport trip to me………

67. voof!

68. Aww, this is a nice boy! This is a good boy! This is a mother’s angel!

69. I just love how that cat doesn’t even care he’s around all dogs. Baby needs a cuddle!

70. magnifico

71. That was funny.

72. Boomer’s Babysitter: Yeah, we saw some crazy stuff. Check out this article about TWO BARGES that shut down a highway because they’d washed in OVER TEN MILES from the shore.

73. Sure brought tears (you know, the alligator type) to my eyes! This goes to show ya that there are still some REALLY GOOD folks (including the dogs and cat in this story) out there. My BIG THANKS to the person that saved these animals – U R GREAT!!!!!!!!

74. Cats and dogs, living together. It’s anarchy!

[Don’t you… (synth chords) forget about me, don’t don’t don’t don’t… – Ed.]

75. I really enjoyed the pictures of these animals -thank goodness for the person who took the time and the care to rescue them and to give them a secure place.

76. To scooterpants: Your epilog about Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, Inga and Igor have absolutely NOTHING to do with this posting. Shame on you for even thinking (or do you EVER think) about posting what you did!

77. LOL I have to assume ronni is being facetious…either that or has never seen Young Frankenstein.

78. Awww, I love the new doggy-kitty family all snug in the back seat. So cute!!

79. Another one for the “Heros” category. Or Resqute, I guess–is there a difference between these two proposed categories?

P.S. to the nuffers: If it were my house, I’d be the FIRST to make wisecracks. (What is the origin of the word ’nuff,’ anyway?)

P.P.S. “Abby? Abby who?” “Abby Normal.”

80. Now I see where they get the phrase “Dogpile”!

81. yumyumjanitor says:

Sometimes I love people.

82. NOMTOM, cute, funny, and sad are strange but perfect bedfellows, just like that pile of dawrgs with kitteh garnish. Trust a marmie to find his way to the top of the heap!

83. that kitteh has got some patience.

84. OH! Thanks, brinnann. (As a bonus, I learned that I’m a Big Cat. I guess.)

“A riot is an ungly thing… undt, I tink, that it is chust about time ve had vun.”

85. Long’s you understand we got ourselves a even bigger cat, roundabout these here parts…

86. GREAT STORY!! NICE TO KNOW THAT THERE STILL SOME GOOD HEARTED PEOPLE OUT THERE.
    DOES THAT KITTA LOOK A LITTLE UNEASY?????

87. A thank you to the person rescuing these animals.
    I love all of the pictures, but the last one with all of them together is my favorite.
    But the expression on all of their faces says so much and I know that they are so grateful for a safe place to be.

88. I was going to make espresso!

89. This is the BEST !!!!!

90. IT’S
    JUST
    HOVERTEXT

Not even REAL TEXT

91. LOL Rhonda!!

IIIIII know, it’s only rock & roll
    But I like it, like it, YES I DO

92. @Kar: Hey ya…

93. DashsieMom says:

My grandma use to lovingly say when arriving..’well, look what the wind blew in’..this gives that a whole new meaning.

94. well that’s better than look what the cat drug in. . .

95. Many people in the U.S. are not aware that a federal law was passed after Katrina that when people are evacuated, they must be allowed to evacuate thoer pets. When Ike was heading toward Texas here, air conditioned semi trailers loaded with pet carriers were sent to the areas expected to be affected and hundreds if not thousands of animals were tagged, caged and transported to safety.

I am so supportive of what this guy did. If more people had the info that the government is now required to honor requests for pet evacuation, maybe less of this would happen. I do know that many folks had ridden out hurricanes before and thought this one was going to be no big deal. Many people and pets were lost, never to be seen again.

96. Touching story!!
    Thank you to whoever took these animals to safety(and I’m sure many others did the same!)!

97. The other MICrophone says:

No Mike, YOU blow.

98. Oh! so cute my insides are turning out!$^%%^$&. I love how they get along because they KNOW they have to….