‘Tocktober Surprise!

Step 1: Drill hole in ice.
Step 2: Cover hole lightly.
Step 3: Wait for fox to show up.

Step 4: SURPRISE!!

Kinda looks like a cigarette butt with legs, Donna B.

Comments

1. dudecrashedmycar says:

Those are some foxy ‘tocks! ;)

2. Bleen? I think that is a fox diving for a vole or mouse under the snow. The voles or mice tunnel underneath the snow and the fox listens then dives!

3. DRILL BABY DRILL!!

4. ThreeCatNight says:

Fox to self: “Now, how the heck do I get outta here?!”

5. I hope that fox has been workin’ the Glutes.

6. FOX BUTT!

7. Is he diving in or backing out?

8. i shall tickle him!!!

9. CoffeeCup says:

It’s like the squirrel from Ice Age! Only a fox.

10. I give this ten minutes before this is a Firefox Lol

11. I’m glad I don’t have to get my food this way.

12. chet, ruby, and miaoux's momma says:

he looks like a Flamin’ Hot Cheeto! nom nom nom….

13. You took the words right out of my mouth, DKN. ^_~

Keep this poor fella away from Sarah Palin!

14. And now, The Amazing Mystico will perform his famous “sawing a fox in half” trick.

15. (the original) Mel says:

That’s too much tock for the unintocktrinated…

@hon glad: Me too. Heh.

16. Maybe he’s just shy,would love to see his face!

17. But where’s the other half, NOMTOM? Did he make it disappear?

18. I totally snorted some tea up my nose. Thanks CO.

Also, FireFox down due to snow damage.

19. Are you looking at my bum?!?! BUM LOOKERS!

20. tankerama says:

Step 5: Profit!

21. I’m pretty sure that’s the squirrel-like character from the Ice Age movies. Scratch? Scritch? Something like that. Very cute, always running after an acorn.

22. I love the layer of fur splayed out at the level of snow!

23. metsakins says:

DKN best comment evah!

24. …and his foot!

25. The hover text made me laugh…and it hurts to laugh right now. But I still laughed.

26. I thought he was the guy from Ice Age.

27. I totally thought this was the squirrel from Ice Age.

I’ve never seen a fox in real life. It saddens me for they are so cute.

28. berthaservant says:

LOL DKN!

Do you think the fox only dug half a hole? Or the whole hole?

29. Selina's Mommy says:

says fox: HELP HELP I’VE SWALLOWED AN ANT!! ER!!!!! ER!!!!! *flails legs and hits passer-byers in their noses*

30. It’s the hole whole, mole. Maybe that’s what the foxy was lookin’ for. Maybe we’ll get a look at the other half during Nosevember, whaddya say?

31. It’s the ultimate “Ehn!”

32. “DRILL BABY DRILL” BA HA HA!

good one.

33. foxtocks foxtocks foxtocks foxtocks foxtocks

34. @Alice — the character from Ice Age is Scrat. Funny name, funnier critter.

35. I’m going to run up to it and tickle it and snorggle it and then run away!

36. crazyweinerdoglady says:

Firefox Version .5

37. SoccerSue says:

@Alice: Scrat. Combination of squirrel and rat. :-)

38. Here is a video of a fox in Yellowstone National Park diving into snow for rodents. Yes, it shows him eating them, so not for the extrememly squeamish. I love the music and how he cocks his head to listen for the teeny mouse scrunchings under the snow.

39. Oops! Sorry, wrong link. Here you go:

40. a little bit like “ice age”

41. Hahahaha! Ohhh I love it! What is it DOING?!

42. Pleeeease Theo can you work your magic and make the feets wiggle??

43. Pounce! Goodness, foxes are so cat-like.

44. Love the bushy tail and the foot that is kinda out there.

45. I love this pic so much! Colors and contract are brilliant. If only we could see the cute little fox muzzle, it’d be perfect.

46. So foxtails grow in the snow. Who knew?

47. I hate it when Firefox freezes…

(could I really be the first to make that joke here?)

[I GOL’d… – Ed.]

48. Whoooaaaa Patty P!! That Youtuber of the fox in Yellowstone is astounding – how does s/he avoid concussions?

49. Khadija, here you go, with the feet wiggling… http://i37.tinypic.com/rucmk5.gif

50. @JT: BAHAHAHAHA!!! NICE! :-D

51. CO knocks my socks off with those fox ‘tocks! (Patty P, the Yellowstone vid is great, too!)

52. JT — heh, not bad. Far *prompter* than I’d’ve been, too.

53. Can you imagine if, while you were working, someone ran up to you, snorgled your ‘tocks and then ran away? Sheesh!

[You can report stuff like that to HR these days… – Ed.]

54. PBS uses the video of this for a time-filler. Tooo cute.

55. Whoa….great pic!!!

Foxes are very hard working little dewds!

56. Hellooooo new desktop

57. Raemie L. says:

Ah, that’s so cute! I didn’t know foxes dived for prey in snow like that. *imagines fox’s tail flicking in pic*
    Enjoyed seeing the vid and .gif, Patty P and JT. Those back-kicks in the dives are cute!

58. @SarahR: The snow is not compacted where he is diving, and his nose is pointed enough that he is really just poking a hole in relatively loose snow. You notice that when he takes steps on the snow right before he dives that he compacts the snow under his feet to get good traction? It seems he can calculate just how much force it takes on any dive to get through the snow to get the mouse on the ground, but no so much as to bonk his nose on the ground underneath.

Also, it is apparent he knows that compacted snow is much easier to travel quickly on, hence the use of the road where he meets the snowmobilers. :-)

59. Sooo… he didn’t drown then, this little fox *worries*

60. @Nucleaus: Not at all. He’s only got his head in there briefly, and the snow is loosly packed, and there is a mouse tunnel under there full of mousey breff.

61. @ JT: Love the wiggle foot! You were far faster than me too on the uptake.

62. perroscope

63. Thanks everyone! I was bored at work, as you can tell.. :-p

64. Sharon Wilson says:

How did we evar get through last winter without a picture of a fox biffing in the snow??

65. JohnnieCanuck says:

Notice how the forepaws are right beside the muzzle, on the way in. That’s what saves the nose.

Very athletic. Reminds me of Olympic diving.

66. JT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!! THANK YOU!!!

67. ineedofkittah says:

Did anyone else think “slinky”?

68. I second some previous opinions. This looks like summat out of the cartoon movie, Ice Age… :-)

69. Aw, Foxy’s just makin’ a livin’, boyz, just makin’ a livin’.