Lord, Love a ‘Tock

"Blimey, ‘ere it is, another cold, gloomy ‘Tocktober, and I’m frozen straight down to me flippin’ giblets!"

"Still, it’s not as bad as them cheeky blokes what sneaks up be’inds ya, snappin’ pictures of yer bum, now didn’t it?"

I predict this post gets a jolly good English nuffin'

Snap-snap, grin-grin, quack-quack, nudge-nudge, say ne’more, Lauren K.

Comments

1. I think perhaps you mean “innit” (isn’t it) though I admit it might sometimes sound like “didn’t it.”

2. Martha in Washington says:

OMG!!1!!I LOVE Big Ben (and yes, I do know that BB is the bell inside the clock tower) and the Parliment Building! One of my favorite buildings in the WHOLE WORLD!!

The ducks are really cute too.

3. Duck Butt!!!!

4. Ah, to be a duck in London in the fall…

5. Martha in Washington says:

And that’s Westminster Abbey in the background!!

6. If she wies the same as a duck….she’s mide of wood….and if she’s mide of wood…

A WITCH!!!!!

7. Do Big Ben (tick) tocks count?

8. Stephanie C. says:

Verizon isn’t living up to their catch phrase. I only see three bars in London, instead of five.

9. Mallards have such pretty colors! So many birds do. Inna pet them, but they runned ‘wai!

10. fish eye no miko says:

berthaservant: And what do you do with witches?

11. Raemie L. says:

Jelly English nuffin. Mmm….

12. Core blimey, itsa bit brass Monkeys out ere.

“Cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass Monkey”

13. Blast! “OFF a brass monkey”

14. cool photo!

15. He looks like he’s about to chat her up. “Hey, Cute Tocks, this your first time in London?”

16. I wuv duckies. All the ducklings in the canal near my house have grown up now, and they’re behaving like complete teenagers.

Shame the council has decided that they are going to build a shopping mall up to the canal and ruin their habitat (and that of the swans and a bunch of moor hens).

17. lucy's mommeh says:

Guess what!?
    DUCKY BUTT!

18. bookmonstercats says:

NOMTOM, excellent post…. especially if Duckies are talking like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins, which I’m sure they are (nearest I’m going to give you to an English ’nuff).

19. bookmonstercats says:

Lucy’s mommeh…. “duck butty”…?

(“Butty” is working class English for a sandwich)

20. awww it’s wink wink nudge nudge!!! I love that skit :)

21. so_much_love says:

I don’t blame them for just *looking* at the Thames, it must be freezing.

They’re like, ‘You first, geeza’.

22. I can say no more.
    (It’s been a hard day’s night.)

23. Gail (the first one) says:

@kathyu: Good obscure Beatles reference!!! But wasn’t that “Help!”???

24. -tries not to scrunch up ears in embarrassment- those are all really good english accents honest.

They look like duck tourists to me!

25. ‘Snot Beatles, Mite, ‘sMonty Poithon.
    All ducks are tourists of a sort, at one season or another, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, sigh n’more, eh, eh?

26. a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse, eh?

27. Duck tocks are the cutest tocks ever!!!

28. girlnextdoortn says:

I looove this thread. :-)

29. Gail (the first one) says:

@mberkie0: “Your wife a goer?? Eh?? Nudge nudge, wink wink?”

(But it is also a line from the movie “Help”…said by Eleanor Bron a couple of times in the movie as she helps Ringo escape being sacrificed.)

30. My first sight of London was on a train coming into Waterloo station, right across the Thames from the houses of Parliament. Then I walked across Westminster Bridge. It had been raining, and the sun suddenly came out and all those beautiful building were gleaming in the sun. It was unforgettable.
    I didn’t see any duckies, though, duckie. :(

31. staticgirl says:

It’s Westminster, darling, not the East End.

Nice Australian accent mberkie0 :)

32. Does he like photography? You know, CANDID photography?
    Obviously someone does.

SAY NO MO-AH!!!

33. lucy's mommeh says:

No, no canard sammiches, thank you luv,
    rather have a nice pastie, whot?

34. Owwwwoooooooooooooooooooooo! Duck ‘Tocks of London!

I saw a Duck Tock drinkin’ a pina colada at Trader Vics……………his hair was perfect.

Owwwwoooooooooooooooooooooo! Duck ‘Tocks of London!

35. Why’d they put a railroad crossing in their crick, there?
    Ehhh. Furners.

36. Ah, made me all nostalgic for my honeymoon in London, though we saw no duckies then. And we walked across Westminster Bridge in the pouring driving rain!

37. Jenn in IL says:

fish eye no miko…”BIRN “EM!!!!!!”

I’m desperate to go to London one day…

38. Y’know, maybe this pic wasn’t taken in Tocktober, this is pretty much what our whole summer looked like. Have recently taken to laughing openly at all the Aussies & Kiwis in my office that actually chose to move here, and then are surprised at our rubbish weather.
    Yay for duck tocks & CO, this is what keeps me from emigrating!

39. BeckyMonster says:

fish eye no miko…

Build a bridge out of ‘er!!!

40. (the original) Mel says:

Erebella, LOL.

@fish eye no miko: BURN THEM!!!!

Also: Duck Tocks. Duck Tocks. Ducktocksducktocksducktocsducktocks.

41. NTMTOM – I must compliment you on your captioning here. I’m often not a fan of your posts… usually too wordy or pictures that are more just funny rather than specifically cute… but you hit the nail on the head this time! Fabulous ‘tocks and fabulous accents. Cheers, NTMTOM!

42. Aw, I love me some duck ‘tocks. One of my favorite things is when they dip their heads in to catch something in the water, and leave out nothin’ but their ‘tocks.

43. Janeyferr says:

i half expect mrs duck to turn around and have a fag on.

44. Oi, Oi, Oi!

45. Sept. 3, 1802

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
    Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
    A sight so touching in its majesty:
    This City now doth like a garment wear

The beauty of the morning: silent, bare,
    Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
    Open unto the fields, and to the sky,
    All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.

Never did sun more beautifully steep
    In his first splendour valley, rock, or hill;
    Ne’er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!

The river glideth at his own sweet will:
    Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
    And all that mighty heart is lying still!

-William Wordsworth

46. tracyFlick says:

English ducks are classier.

47. I prefer my English nuffins with honey!

48. cheesybird says:

With lots of nooks and crannies to hold the melted butt… er….

49. Your wife, is she into photography? Say no more! A wink’s as good as a nudge to a blind bat, y’know…

50. Can’t believe no one here’s young enough (ok, so I’m not young enough either, but my sister is 9 years yougner and used to watch the show all the time, so I remember the theme song…) to have sung,
    “Duck tails, wooooo-oooh.”

Though I believe it was actually Duck Tales…a Disney production, of course, with the nephews and Scrooge McDuck.

51. BabyOpossum says:

He: “Honey? What’s wrong?”

She: “We need to tock.”

52. I think this is my favorite comment thread ever.

Erabella: thanks for the earworm! I am now alternating between Warren Zevon and David Lindley in my head . . .

53. Westminster Abbey? That looks like the Parliament building (part of which is Westminster Hall). Westminster Abbey is the church, no? Are our dear ducks, and their ‘tocks, being led astray on a bum tour?

54. Westminster Abbey’s in the background: the two paler towers to the right of Big Ben’s tower.

55. lol Should have taken the photo today–we had a beautiful Indian summer day here in London today :)

56. Ok… you caught me iggle. I took the photo in approximately April 2005. Honorary ‘Tocktober members.

57. Mary (the first) says:

@Theresa: thank you.

58. whoa! i was totally standing right there earlier this spring! ahh…brings back some fond memories. there were many more pigeons than ducks though. :)

59. Male AND female Mallard ‘tocks. Pretty darn Qte, all right!

60. Nice view these ducks have.

61. Theresa–How thoughtful…
    NTMTOM–My favorite caption
    is “frozen down to me flippin’ giblets.” You know, this kind of thing can be habit-forming…

62. umm, ntmtom, this caption = awesome!

63. Your wife into photography, eh? CANDID photography? Nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say n’more! A nod’s as good as a wink to a blind horse, eh?

Hooray for Monty Python.

64. darkshines says:

LOL, I can tell which of you are really british by the APALLING attempts at British accents! It may be a small island, but the diversity is crazy. Even 10 miles can make a difference in accent. I currently live in Cardiff in Wales, and a Cardiff accent is different to a Rhodda Valley accent, even though its a 20 minute train journey away! I think these ducks are slightly posh, maybe from the Home Counties, reminising about where they first met…….

65. @Gail (the first): if Oi ‘ad a woife, that is. Oi’d be more loike to ‘ave a nusband. Sorry, ducks.