Best. Babysitter. EVAR.

When hurricane Hannah separated two ultra-prosh white tigers from their mother, Anjana came to the ResQte.  Anjana, a chimp at TIGERSin South Carolina, became surrogate mom and playmate to the cubs, even helping with bottle feeding, according to The Sun (and don’t miss the slideshow).  But here’s the truly amazing part:  Anjana does this all the time, having raised leopard and lion cubs.

♫ My buddy (my buddy), my buddy (my buddy) ♫

♫ Wherever I go, heeeee goes ... ♫

Found via various sites. You young’uns may appreciate this explanation of the hovertext.

Comments

1. Just lookit the motherly look on that chimp’s face!

2. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeen!!!!!!!

3. Aww…that second pic is the best! Kitteh looks so content and chimp is happy as can be.

4. Ohmigosh… *tear* that is too precious!

5. I cant even handle it..I just cant. That pic of Anjana with the bebbeh on her tummy makes me DIE from Cute overload….

6. Oh, my, god… second pic? Obviously the chimp’s grinning like the proverbial proud parent, but *look* at the tiger cub. See that eye-squeeze?? If anything, Kitty’s happier than Ape!

7. It’s about time today’s young people learned the hard truth about My Buddy.

8. YAY! I’ve been waiting for this to get posted finally! heh
    GOD I love that 2nd photo w/ the chimp smiling at the cub… SO frackin cute it kills me!

9. I actually have this photo as a desktop wallpaper.

I want a chimp!!!!!! (and a baby tiger if possible!)

A

10. cheesybird says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! They both look so happy!! :D

Hey, how long has there been a “ResQte™” category? Is that new or is my eyesight going?

(And should I admit that I’m actually too OLD to get the reference in the hovertext?)

11. (the original) Mel says:

Patito. Dammit. You are so frickin funny. I’m going to be giggling all day and I don’t even know what it means.

12. So sweet I’m crying. <3

13. I cannot believe the smiles on both of those faces.

Too adorable. That last pic of them laughing together is just deadly cute.

14. My buddy and meeeeee…. I guess I’m just the right age to totally get the reference. (Early 30’s) Now that song is stuck in my head. Thanks.

15. My teeny, less than 2-year-old niece just received a gift of a stuffed white tiger toy– she ripped open the paper, saw the stripes, and squealed “ZEBRA!”

16. Patito, don’t forget Kid Sister!

17. The site I first saw this one didn’t have all of those slideshow photos.. Good god… I’m now a ghost b/c the sweet and cuteness killed me… yep… DED DED DED

18. Mary (the first) says:

That first pic is kind of how my kitteh and I look when I grab her and squeeze.. she has the patient “Ok squeeze if you must” look on her face and I have the proud “lookit my kitteh” face.

19. (OG) Mel, I am from the streets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fovPx0MgwX0

20. The second pic looks like the tiger-kitteh is making biscuits! He totally has the biscuit-making-face on, and look at his paws! No wonder Anjana is so happy! This is the best thing ever ever EVER.

21. wannadance says:

oh, lordy, they both look so happy and contented. really can’t say more, just speechless with cuteness.

22. lesleyann says:

OMGGGGGGG. this is the sweetest, cutest thing I HAVE EVER SEEN. TOO PROSH!!!

-death-

23. Dammit! You made my heart explode.
    Now, who’s gonna clean up this mess?? Not ME, I’m telling you….

24. Oh MY gosh, look at the smiles on their faces; how wonderful is that! Thank you so much, you’ve totally made my day <3

25. *thud* … *thud* … *thud* [tries to get up, faints again]

and have you seen the li’l macaque orphan and his surrogate teddy bear mom ???

Meg and NTMTOM, are ye trying to keeeel us ? The answer is yes.

26. Yes ! the proud mother expresh ! the eyesqueeeze !!! too moishe !

27. scooterpants says:

omg. the slideshow at the link to “The Sun”.
    its too much every photo is better and more fabulously sweet than the last.
    i hate that girl !, no fair! i want to hold babeh tigers and play with monkeys and feed them and love them and hug them and call them Bob.
    she gets paid for that *hit ??? grrrr.
    (walks away mumbling in disgust of own situation)

28. marsheeeee says:

As chimps are human beings’ closest relatives, and there are cat people, why are we surprised that there are cat chimps? Anjana I think qualifies as a Crazy Cat Lady. Sweetie, join the club!

29. That just so totally rocks! WOW! What awesome pictures!

30. I want the chimp.
    And the tiger too.

31. littleredhen says:

Those pictures define maternal love. No matter who the birth mom was.

32. The Other One Michelle says:

Very cool! The slideshow is awesome! Just goes to show that you don’t have to be biologically related to someone (thing) to love it like a mother or father! Yay CO!

33. That’s really heartwarming. It’s interesting that apparently, many apes have a sort of appreciation for pets, if you could call a tiger cub that. I remember here in Atlanta, years ago, we had a gorilla named Willy B. who kept a pet cat. His first one died, so the keepers got him another one, which he also heaped love upon and raised just as well as the first.

34. Willy B. was at the zoo. Not… not here at my house.

35. I shake my fist at you, NTMTOM! Not only is the My Buddy jingle on a continuous loop in my head…so is the commercial! And you know what? That cute, blue-overalled tyke will turn into Chucky by the time bedtime rolls around. Thanks a bunch.

36. Curse you meg, now I’ve got that song stuck in my head :P

37. look at the smushed eye capsules in the second photo. soooo happies. and the hand-around-the-tiger action is SO deserving of a COXCU.

i promised myself i would never speak or type in cute overload language, but this is a special occa-see-own. ok, never again.

38. GreedySkunk says:

I just read the article at The Sun. I wonder if they bred the ligers for their skills in magic?

39. balamuthia says:

The smile on Anjana’s face in the second pic is absolutely stunning….

That does it, next asshole that tells me “animals don’t have emotions” gets socked in the eye.

Thanks CO!

40. Does anyone remember Koko, the gorilla who spoke ASL, and had a kitten named “Allball?” (Besides me, that is.)

41. I recall Allball. I’d discuss it further, but my heart is currently exploding.

42. @mberkie0: I remember Koko and her kitten, and also how sad Koko became when AllBall was killed in an accident.

43. that’s it. cuteoverload has reached maximum potential. i don’t think anything can ever beat this. ever.

44. cheesybird says:

I’m still wondering about the “ResQte™” category. Am I going gaga or is that new? (Not that those are two mutually exclusive options.)

45. @ Theresa, that is just *too* cute!

46. That chimp will be dinner in about 4 months!

47. The My Buddy hover text did me in. We were singing it just yesterday at work, and when we finished, a girl piped in “Kid Sister!” We all dissolved into hysterics. Ah, life at the office…..

48. tracyFlick says:

I was wondering about the dinner thing, too. Would the tiger let it go in a few months? Do tigers feel intense regret for killing adopted chimp mommies?

49. thanks kmira, now I have My Buddy AND Kid Sister in my head ;) stupid awesome terrible 80’s!

50. Big Swami says:

I CANNOT EVEN BELIEVE THAT THIS IS REAL. I have never seen such interspecies snorgling, that causes such happy animal faces. ^_____^

51. picture 11 on the slideshow!!! ack! I’m dying from cute! *dead*

52. Chimps will commence speaking in 5, 4, 3 …

53. That’s it! Cuteoverload is no more. How could it possibly get better than that! I think I just gained 5 years of life from that.

THANK YOU!!

54. Seriously, that second pic could be me & Spot.

55. I want the cute!

I CAN’T HANDLE THE CUTE!

56. See how natural it is for primates to love kittehs? *sigh*

57. Space Cowgirl says:

Re hovertext: You know, I have tried unsuccessfully for ~20 years to get that song out of my head.

THANKS

58. That is pretty amazing. Now Anjana is an awesome name, and an awesome mother if she’s done this BEFORE and like, the little cubs didn’t turn on her.

Wow.

59. Oh God, no.

NOT THE ‘MY BUDDY’ SONG!

60. Cheesy: ResQte IS a new tag, I think the first one was in the penguin post last week. I demanded it several times before management finally listened, so you can thank me. I invented animal rescue. :-P

By the way, these are the kind of pictures that remind me how closely connected humans are to the animal world (or vice-versa). Can you imagine two creatures looking happier?

61. GAWD! This made my day! My whole life maybe! I might never be unhappy again!

62. @ ginger – for serious!!!

This is the best post in the history of cute overload.

The end.

63. Ugly Overload recently posted about white tigers, and I learned some terrible things. The reality of white tiger breeding is unbearably depressing. WARNING: It will kill the buzz from these tewtelly awesome pics, so don’t click if you’re not braced for an emotional rollercoaster.
    (cue “the more you know” music)

64. Yes, I have read that before. It is really really sad. But, the photos, regardless are adorabuhls.

65. I seriously want Anjana’s job – where do I apply to be liger surrogate mom and playmate?!!

66. Cutest pictures ever, Kris!

67. gravyboat says:

These pictures are so full of awesome.

68. *raises hand* Count me in that pool affected by the horrible “My Buddy” earworm (@lizzums – early 30s here too…). Between that, Monchichi, and My Little Ponies, this site has driven me to near madness at times.

But awwww…look at the widdle smiling tiger baby, with the happy chimp. That is so sweet and adorable.

69. I remember Koko and her kittuns – she was so gentle with them.

Ordinarily I don’t like primates, especially chimps, very much (thanks to the last 8 years of the US government), but these pictures are so sweet.

70. LOVE the 2nd picture.

I LOVE MAMA CHIMPERS SO MOISHE.

71. Slave To Three says:

One of my three is named Buddy and I totally always sing that song to him. Drives him crazy, but that’s the joys I get.

72. Why does this chimpstress have, like, no teeth, bar a couple of stumps? (Was she a rescued one who’d been ‘defanged’ or something?)

73. This is insane! I have never seen such a look of motherly love like this btwn species! She could melt the coldest hearts! Anjana is a special and beautiful soul. This is beyond words. :D

74. Second picture – amazing. What love! That is about the most heartwarming thing ever. I feel so warm and happy now!!

I’m with you, cheesybird, too old to know the jingle. Unfortunately, I clicked the link and now I know it. And it’s in my head for the duration. Sigh.

75. girlnextdoortn says:

my buuudddy and meeeeee!

76. toborzgrrl says:

Putin gets a tiger cub and I don’t. A CHIMPANZEE gets a tiger cub and I don’t. What is the criteria, people?!?

77. sian, T.I.G.E.R.S. isn’t a rescue or conservation group. They are in the business of breeding and training exotic animals for circus-type acts and, IMHO, rank among the scum of the earth. Show chimps usually have.. um.. “dental work” done to inhibit biting.

78. I… am really freaked out by chimpanzees and monkeys in general, and the more human they act, the more they terrify me, but that second picture made my heart shrivel into a tiny little raisin. That is sooo cuuuute! Look how happy the kitty is!

I could sit and nuff about the organization, but, you know. SOOO CUUUUTE. I’ll do that instead. It’s the first time a chimp pic has made me feel anything other than “oh god, run!” Although I want to do that too. I’m so conflicted now…

79. QueenZola says:

OMG!!! Toooo prosh. Must…pry…face…from…keyboard…

80. Thank you! This post is really intelligent, and still very cute! Hey! All you people who blog on this site- NTMTOM has written a post that is both interesting and cute! All you other people- follow NTMTOM’s example. NTMTOM- keep up the good work! I am now interested!

81. Uplift Institute approves

82. It doesn’t get better than this folks! Seriously, if you have not checked out the slideshow at The Sun web site then do so immediately! It’s wonderful to see all this interspecies care taking! This is the epitomy of cute overload!

83. @ Slave To Three: Me too! My Buddy (really, that was not intentional) has had three names in his life, none off which ever stuck, so now we just call him “Buddy.”

I love him, but he’s the biggest pain in the butt…

84. Mary (the first) says:

Ok you guys, in the Sun article is a side bar with the video about the lion reuniting with his humans.. now I have tears down my face AGAIN, it always gets to me. snf. If you haven’t seen it, that should answer the questions (joking I hope? but maye not) about the tigers eating their chimpmama someday.

85. thats just incredible, and their expressions couldn’t get any better

86. catloveschanel says:

It’s my dad’s birthday on Sunday, so I’m sent him that pic and said, “this looks just like you”.
    I’m going to turn it into a card that says, “the way you make- a me feel…” or you make me feel like that kitteh does… or something otherwise mushy!

Maybe he’ll cry….

87. ::dies:: ::dies again::

best. Pic. EVAR.

88. possibly the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

89. This should go in the dictionary under “happiness” or “bliss”

90. Now, if that’s not an expression of love and happiness on the face of that chimp, I don’t know what is.

This is so neat, especially since I’ve decided to buy tickets to see Dr. Goodall in Vancouver on October 30th.

91. GreyhoundMommy says:

Absolutely precious!
    Makes me proud to live in South Carolina!

92. Oh my gosh, that is absolutely amazing! I love this post so much!

93. I am just utterly, utterly gobsmacked. I don’t think that I have ever come back to view a CO post so many times. I feel slightly guilty for anthropomorphising these gorgeous animals, but really… Anjana looks like she’s sharing a joke with Stripey McTiggerson in the bottom one, and in the top one, she looks like she’s posing at Sears for Christmas photos. The look on the chimp’s face is captivating.

94. Chimpanzees absolutely creep me out almost as much as dogs. Beautiful tiger, though.

95. And people say animals don’t love, or feel emotions?

Right.

Animals are just as real as the rest of us. They just speak a different language.

I’m going to go hug my cat now :)

96. Gail (the first one) says:

Yep, somehow I missed out on “My Buddy”, too…guess I am too old for that one!

Those are some awesome pics!!!

97. Ohmydog! The slideshow pic where Anjana is sitting on the keeper’s lap and they both have an arm around a cub…. I am dead, I am ‘sploded…

Just stick a fork in me, I am done!

98. AuntieMame says:

Hey Erin! Who died and made you God?

99. Cats and chimp racks?

100. Oh, thank goodness! CO succeeded in making Erin happy with a post. I was afraid she would never come back and CO would shrivel and die.

101. Kere–Love your comment!
    NTMTOM–Thanks for the best thing that has happened today! The photographs are incredible.
    T.U.M.–I can’t handle the cute either…You know those little turkey thermometers–maybe CO readers need one of those to pop-up when we have reached max cute overload…like Kere says…
    Scooterpants–You’re anerable when you’re honked-off and doing the
    entitlement thing–remember about the red pandas?

102. scooterpants says:

Cachorro-
    red pandas…red pandas, i have searched the COL archives for what an ass i was concerning the red pandas and luckily i cannot find anything i might have been an idiot about, hopefully , T or NTMTOM have already deleted my mentally deficiant posts you refer to.
    but really, i think all that i am saying here is that she has a much more fun job than i do, although i (most likely) make (a lot) more money, she is most likely a happier , less stressed human than i.
    i dont know if its a worthy trade off. i used too be very poor, and much happier.
    hmm. maybe if i wait a couple months, i can get back to my poor/happy place! without even trying! :)

103. Whoever believes that animals don’t have souls should LOOK at the expression in those two’s eyes. This is such a beautiful story.

104. Whoever believes that animals don’t have souls should LOOK at the expression in those two’s eyes. This is such a beautiful story.

105. Scooterpants–You are always delightful, and especially about bebeh tigers and monkeys and the Red Pandas…There are a lot of great comments on CO, but yours I remember…and remember…
    You are a little sassy, very classy…never an ass.
    With a prayer for the less
    stressful, fulfilled life that you hope for…

106. cheesybird says:

Thanks for the explanaish, BerthaS. :D

107. Look at BOTH of their SMILES!!!! I´m so ded from this…. awwwwwwwwwww. :D

108. The second pic is PRICELESS!

*wipes tear*

109. I was having a really cr*ppy day. Verge of tears cr*ppy. Now, I am on the verge of tears again, but for much better reasons. Thank you, CO.

110. You guys sure do get *DED* alot here…I was calmly looking at the pictures and thinking oh how sweet and……………………..THUD!

*understands DED now*

111. Mrs. Catlabash says:

Cuuuutest cute cuties evarrrr! The slideshow is fantastic. It’s amazing and enlightening to see all the changing expressions, they look just like humans would in the same sich (proudly and patiently posing for pic with kidlet)!

But wait: maybe this is even cuter. Can Anjana possibly be a boy? The last slide is captioned “Dad – Anjana has embraced family life.” Maybe the Sun made a mistake thinking Anjana’s female? I don’t know why it would be even cuter, but somehow, it would.

112. I wondered that too, Mrs. Catlabash, but a Google search indicates that Anjana is indeed female and the Sun made an “uncharacteristic” error.

113. In captioning the photos, I mean.

114. Well, hot damn, Other Mike, you’ve earned Erin the Spambot’s seal of approval! Now you can retire!

115. snoopysnake says:

Anjana for the Nobel Peace Price! This photo can bring world peace!

116. awww

117. LOVING the absence of nuffs! When I saw the amount of comments I was like “oh no..” but this thread is blissfully nuff-free! And as it should be. This post is quite possibly, the most wonderful thing ever posted on CO. If only the entire world could be like this. *hums “Imagine”*

118. omg!! Ded, ded, ded, I am just ded here!!

119. I’m just sitting here, staring at the screen, with a silly, silly grin on my face…

120. Oh my how cute!!

121. ThreeCatNight says:

This is just too much! That second photo says it all, beyond any human expression and emotion. Anyone who doesn’t believe that animals emote, or have their own unique souls is just all wet.

122. lynn crago says:

sweet pic

123. not that lurker the other lurker says:

It’s crazy cute. But My Buddy reference FTW! :D

124. Raemie L. says:

I don’t think I can say anything other than what’s been said already. LOVE the eyes/expressions.

I’m younger than the regular CO crowd, but I remember My Buddy/Kid Sister and even that Saturday Morning cartoon break clip. That said, Patito Gigante’s link cracked me up! G-Unit and Fiddy’s use of My Buddy in their song… a darker My Buddy, indeed.

125. In my humble opinion, anything (critter, including people) that can love has a soul. I have met some very soul-full non-humans. The obverse is true- if one cannot love, one is soul-less or has lost the soul once given them.

126. compy-saur says:

You don’t keep your cousins for pets. Sorry to those who think it would be cool to “own” a chimp.

127. My cousins don’t look like either of these creatures.
    Sometimes, I think it’s a shame…

128. LOL!they are soooooooooooo cute!!!!