Terminal Boxaholism

In recent years, boxhab centers nationwide have seen an alarming 58.2 percent rise in cases of boxaholism, the uncontrollable urge to wedge oneself into crates, shoeboxes, picnic coolers, floor safes, suitcases, hope chests, Bundt pans, mailing tubes, lunch pails, and all manner of portable enclosed spaces.  In extreme cases, boxaholics will instinctively assume box-like shapes when no container is available.

Just 31 more of these and we can play chess.

It’s time for intervention, Kyllyssa.

Comments

1. First killer bebeh roh-dents, then killer bebeh blue-eyes, and now killer boxaholic kitteh…Wonderful way to start my morning!

2. My friend’s bebeh (yes,a HOOMAN bebeh, shock horror!) does this. He’s got a big bed now, but he seems to prefer sleeping curled up on the floor in the corner of the room instead.

3. Is there any hope? Are we even close to a cure????

4. Nice fluffyness

5. Playing a work by Boxtehude usually calms them down.

6. I was confused for a minute, because this cat is an exact copy of my Mississippi, and that is the exact same carpeting I have. And, she’s a total boxaholic. But I didn’t recall ever taking this particular picture. Brain hurt. Coffee more need.

7. First killer bebeh roh-dents, then killer bebeh blue-eyes, and now killer boxaholic kitteh…Wonderful way to start my morning!

8. I bet after this the kitteh rolled a big catnip fatty.

9. OK, after months of coming to this site, I am officially Overloaded. It happened just now. First, a tuxie cat that looks just like the late great Barnabas, The Best Cat That Ever Lived. Then orange stripey kitties (I’ll take the middle one), incredibly blue kittye-eyes and PENGUINS BEING RESCUED BY MORE POTENTIAL “HEROES OF CUTE OVERLOAD”??!!

I can’t take it anymore, I tell you. I need help.

10. O hai, horriblelicenseplates! Thanks for posting my submishe! I especially love the title. LOL

But NOTHING beats the Virginia one you just posted!

11. 260Oakley says:

@HonGlad “Boxtehude”?? It’s funny AND obscure. And I’m glad it’s payday, ’cause I was feeling kinda baroque.

12. A perfect square. Oh my. I don’t know if there’s any going back after this.

13. Where can I get a wristband?

14. Boxtehude, indeed. It’s time to get a Handel on things and go Bach to the drawing board.

15. nyerh nyerh nyerh!!

16. IT’S HIP TO BE SQUARE!

17. My kitties see a brand new cat bed and ignore it. A few weeks ago, I bought a new draft stopper, and when that’s not in use, it usually sits in a corner in a little U-shape. Sure enough, kitties love to sleep in that enclosed surface area…WEIRD!

18. While the incidence of Boxaholism has increased, the number of Boxaholism rehab counselors has not. That is why C&D (Cat & Dog) University is now offering an online course in Boxhab Counseling. In just 10 months you can be certified to treat the most common forms of Boxaholism. The Kitties need your help, so sign up today!

19. My officemate is looking at me as tho I have gone completely nertz, bec I am snorking away here. You peeps make me laugh too hard. If it’s wrong to love boxaholic kittehs, I don’ wanna be right.

20. yankeebird says:

@chanpon

Typical cat for you, right? I bought my girls this:
    after seeing it on here last year. No interest. Covered the thing in catnip. Still no interest.

Dropped a washcloth on the floor. Major interest.

21. YEEM YEEM !

Awaiting a RCF rendition of this boxed tuxie. Teho, you are raising our expec-ta-shons.

22. Hon Glad and Starling : baroquely brilliant !

23. @Hon Glad! [bows down in awe]

24. PS @Starling, oh Schütz!

25. Unfortunately, my cats suffer from a similiar syndrome… bagaholics. They put themselves into paper sacks and promptly spaz out. The other day I caught one of them walking around with a very small paper sack on his head.

Or perhaps they have self esteem issues. Cats can be sensative.

26. brookrene says:

Beautiful kitteh!!! I want!

27. Rule of Cuteness #56-N: Boxaholism is cute!

(N is whatever number it needs to be to make this the next rule of cuteness)

28. Space Cowgirl says:

Oh dear, I hope the boxholism isn’t really terminal. Or at least that fluffy kitteh lives a long and full life before it is. :(

29. Kit, one of my girls, Sister, is also a bagaholic. But for her it’s plastic shopping bags. She gets so excited when we unpack the groceries because we throw the bags onto the floor for her. She jams herself inside, turns around, and pokes just her head out. So of course, all bags thereafter must be hidden to keep her from getting stuck while no one’s around.

30. On closer inspection, this kitteh lacks Mississippi’s tiny black goatee.

31. Stressfactor says:

I’ve heard of something being “kitty cornered” but THIS is redonkulous.

32. Mary (the first) says:

I think I’ve mentioned before that I am a big fan if kitteh (and other) whiskers and I must point out that this beautiful kitteh seems to have whiskers about 6 inches long and very luxurious indeed. (I have a sudden desire to call him “Hercule”.) If he needs to rehab somewhere other than his own house, I will gladly volunteer to take him in.

33. Silly yankeebird! Kitties don’t sleep where *you* want them to sleep. In fact, I’m working on a formula that involves the inversely proportional relationship between money spent on the bed, and likeliness of the cat sleeping on it.

34. Ha-ha, 260Oakley, I finally got it ! The penny dropped. Good puns are coming fast and thick tonight.

35. that’s a pretty kitty, looks so soft! Wuvs.

@chanpon why don’t they make box shaped cat beds then??

36. bookmonstercats says:

On her last day on earth, before I had to take her to the vet, my pretty ginger and white girl spent her time purring away in a corner just like this one, so we sat with her. Sad and happy memories. Boxhab is not always appropriate.

37. I even put CATNIP in the cat bed, and nothing.

38. More white titty pictures and less stupid cat pictures please.

39. Teho, clean up on aisle 7 plzkthx!

40. Gail (the first one) says:

@bookmonstercats: That is truly a bittersweet story….thanks for telling us.

41. Gail (the first one) says:

@HonGlad and 260Oakley: GREAT puns!!!

42. *SNERK SNERK*, horriblelicenseplates.

And this is ONE gorgeous kitteh!!!

And, you forgot “sinks” in your listings. VERY important, sinks.

43. @Bookmonstercats, I had to let my sweet Stinky boy go too, a little over a week ago. He was almost 18. That’s how we spent his last day, too, just sitting and cuddling.

44. Can someone explain boxaholism for me? Do cats in the wild like to makes dens out of caves and other cozy places to shelter them from weather, and maybe jump out to ambush preys?

45. Silent Meow says:

Oh, wow! A square cat! I had no idea such a feline species existed!

Are there also triangle cats? Octagon cats? rectangle cats? Parallelagram cats? Sphere cats? Other shapes of cats?

The math proffs at the local community college would go nuts over stuff like this.

46. @David: A-herm. Boxaholism is the irresistible, unconquerable attraction of an empty, usually not-quite-large-enough box to a cat. The corollary is that if there are more than one kitteh, they will all try to fit in the same box at the same time, however big or small it may be. My current Furfactory, Mr. Picky, on the other hand [or the other paw], can take or leave a box. He is not affected by this cruel habit.

47. He is not called “Mr. Picky” for nothing.

48. @mberkie0 – I’ve seen this affliction myself (“I’m not too big, this box is too small”). I just don’t understand why they do this. Perhaps they are just bored – they spend so much time sitting/sleeping on every conceivable place in the house, that if you introduce a nice space at your house, no matter how small, they have to try sit/sleep in it?

49. “nice space = new space” in my last post.

50. @David: Yes. This seems to be corollary to their firm belief that every new thing in the house must be especially for them. Such as, there must be no possible reason for that nice new pair of black wool pants other than for them to sleep on.

51. Mary (the first) says:

Theresa, I believe you are correct. Kitteh thinks, “There’s no reason.. none.. for Mom to lay her best black pants out on the bed with her nice sweater unless she wants me .. the white kitteh.. to sleep on them. Surely her plans to go “out” later are irrelevant. She has other clothes after all! Maybe those nice cuddly sweat pants would be ok to go to the formal dinner instead of the black pants. Because .. I am sleeping on the black pants!!”

52. Heh, Silent Meow.

I’m hoping to find the elusive rhomboid-shaped cat.

53. AuntieMame says:

David, I can’t help but wonder, if you left a refrigerator box out on the African savannah, would you come back and find a lion or two in it? (Get in the car!!1!)

54. Martha in Washington says:

I want to see a kittie squished into a Bundt pan!! Pictures? Anybody? Anybody?

starling–my son used to crawl out of his crib and sleep UNDER it!

55. Bundt pans, mailing tubes …

*on floor laughing*

56. Hmm… don’t we have a bundt pan kitteh? Somewhere in the archives? I’m sure we’ve got one somewhere. Can someone check for us, please? KThnxBai.

57. Tetris kitteh. (And looks like our Theo!)

[He doesn't mean me, Peeps... - Ed.]
    [http://grandofwords.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/12/bertha_epdsfam_002.jpg ]

58. AuntieMame, we must find out. Anyone got a refrigerator box is going to Africa? Or the nearest zoo?

S

59. it’s a night-light kitteh!

60. I was just checking the door lock before going to bed and there she was a – perfect square. You should see her on her very own tiny sofa!

61. darkshines says:

I have definately seen a spherical cat before.

62. My Dante is a bowling ball with ears.

63. Silent Meow says:

There is no excuse why I can’t remember this as I recently got an A in college differential calculus but I can’t seem to remember.

What is the area of a square cat? A = s^2 but taking into account the sizes of the tail and the nose?

A rhomboid cat. I wonder if we could create one of those by having a cat sleep in a rhomboid-shaped carboard structure?

Spherical cat. I’m talking a PERFECT sphere. Where do I find one of those? Maybe if I somehow put a cat inside a basketball-shaped cardboard something…

Where is my first-semeter-calculus professor when I need him?

64. Silent Meow says:

Heh. If I ever get a cat again someday, maybe I won’t spend money on a cat bed. I’ll just get a flat box and put a square pillow or an old blanket in it. The money that I would otherwise spend on a cat bed would thus be spent on things like cat toys and cat food.

65. Thanks for including the link to the “real” Theo, Theo! ;-0

66. Ok, so I don’t often actually LOL for comments (sometimes for pictures, but not comments), but AuntiMame’s Lion-in-fridgebox image was too much. We need to start a fund or something!

67. Peeps — re: cats in bundt pans — I think this is as close as we’ve got:

68. Love the coat on that cute kitty. :3

69. Silent Meow says:

@Andrew,
    My sentiments exactly. If I get a cat someday, I want one just like that one.