Captain ‘n’ Hammille

[Breaking News Bumper Music]

We interrupt the A & E Cold Case marathon to bring you this redonklous story of two costumed pets battling for the win over at the MSO/C.O. costume contest.

Mla00057194

Mla00057192_2

We now return you to regularly scheduled programming. In the meantime, the watchdogs will continue to keep score.

Mla000571771

Comments

1. Oh! Those are Phantom Tollbooth watchdogs!

That being said? The baked ham with pineapple is KILLING the aviator.

2. I don’t know Karen . . . I’m lovin’ the aviator. It says sleek . . . it say sexy . . . it says sophisticated.

3. I am so in love with the Captain. The little helmet and scarf just slay me. Coffee, tea, or snorgle, Captain?

4. That’s no captain!

That’s the Red Baron!

5. wait, is there really a Cold Case marathon? Because I can leave work..

the ham loaf is killing me.. and that’s a weird way to die, so I’ll probably end up a cold case…

6. OK, the ham is cute, but the Red Baron ferret is KILLING ME. Why didn’t I think of that when I had my kneesocks?

7. Okay well the brown baron is adorable of course and the hamdog top notch but the oh so clever watchdogs really made me laugh

8. The ham kills me, and I love the ferret aviator. I don’t get the dogs. :(

9. Haha, I love the watchdogs!

10. warrior rabbit says:

There’s no Cold Case marathon. Bummer.

Red Baron? Huh. I totally saw the ferret as Amelia Earhart.

11. The watchdogs are keeling me! Espesh cause the yellow lab looks like he’s laughing! The ham costume is great for originality, and the little aviator ferret, OMG so cute!! I can’t stop looking at Martha’s site… how many freaking pages of pets in costumes are there?!?!

12. Ok – the ferret wins the cute but the ham is def the most original! And I hate to admit it, but it took me a second to get the “watch dogs.” I blame hunger.

13. Ha! I love the “Tock” dogs!

For all you Phantom Tollbooth neophytes, this is Tock:

14. The Tock puppies are so appropriate for this time of year (Tocktober)! I loved that book. I always wanted to eat my words like at the banquet or conduct a color orchestra.

That said, I’m really impressed at keeping the ferret’s hat on his head. Plus that little scarf!

I’m definitely up for a slice of that ham too! How adorable!

15. The two dogs, when put together, are a 5 o’clock shadow :)

16. Boomer's Babysitter says:

Maybe it’s reverse of hunger, or something, but I didn’t see the “ham with pineapples” thing. The “ham” is flourescent pink on my screen and looks really unappetizing. I was trying to make it pineapple upside down cake, but that didn’t work, either. I’ll go for the Red Baron(ness?), though. Watchdogs would please the BF. He likes puns.

17. Oh man, love looking over the pets in costume. Cats are always my fave, they look all pissy!

18. The aviator is a good friend of mine, his official site is here:

There’s an adorable baby picture of him there.

19. I totally thought the ‘watch dogs’ were 5 o’clock shadows!! sooo cute!

20. Ah, I see.. the watchdogs have clocks on their ‘tocks!

21. The ferret looks like he’s stepped right out of Wind in the Willows! I love it :D

22. Sharon Wilson says:

The ferret ties with the bun in the tux! But I love the devil-may-care look in the eyes of the ferret! He wears that costume well!

23. The hovers are now texted!

24. divinebluesky says:

They are all very clever and cute, but I think the pineapple hat is the silliest :)

25. Amelia Ferrhart!

26. The Phantom Tollbooth – I hadn’t thought of that book in ages but it just came up yesterday! I was thinking about the character who was trying to solve a problem and scribbled and scribbled and then shouted “Seventeen!” Or something like that. Can anyone help me? I think of that sometimes in problem solving situations but I can’t really remember the story. Guess I need to read the book again!

27. Amelia Ferrhart is a cute nickname, but this little cutie is a boy! His name is Tank!

28. Eyes glazing over? Perfect!

29. Pineapple ham all the way! How cute would it be if it was a HAMSTER as pineappple ham?! *Breaks out needles and felt for teeny hammie costume*

30. Did you notice they’re SYNCHRONIZED watch dogs? lol

It’s hard to choose between those two costumes, but I guess I’ll have to go with the ham loaf pooch. It’s just such a weird idea for a costume, and it made me laugh.

31. Amy J – Isn’t that the Humbug? When they were in the city of numbers, and the Mathematician gave Milo, Tock, and the Humbug a complicated-looking formula to solve, and I think only Milo got it right. The Humbug, of course, is never right. :)

I love that book! Classic.

32. nads:
    Imagine little horns and a pointy tail on a hamster.

Deviled Ham…ster

*ba-dum-tsss*

33. Amelia Ferrhart! Hahahaha! Good one, dub1!

34. momof2kitties says:

Ooh, ooh! I got the watchdogs right away! Love that book! A childhood favorite, read many times over.

The ham dog is a little creepy for me. But Amelia Ferrhart is certainly rockin’ the cute!

35. “eyes glazing over” – lol – that’s great.

36. Thank Goodness those dogs are set for happy hour…its been a long week and its only Wednesday :(

37. Bunnyologist says:

That poor ham-dog looks mortified.

38. Thanks, Jen! The Humbug! I’m definitely inspired to grab a copy and read the book again.

Meanwhile, Hamdog is inspired, but Amelia “Tank” Ferrhart is completely adorable. Love the cocky grin!

39. So cute- great costumes! Have you seen this cute Obama dog- too funny.

40. Okay, I love Phantom Tollbooth, but… No one commented on the alt text! Tick tocks!

[To be fair, I didn't think of it first... - Ed.]
    [http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/07/you-did-not-jus.html ]

41. Felicityanne says:

I realise this comment is going to upset a lot of people, but…I just LOATHE seeing animals in costume; it’s not cute, it’s disturbing and undignified and degrading and says a lot about us humans…

42. Raemie L. says:

Ferret’s pilot costume looks just about right – and I would have believed it if someone told me the ferret was a toy.

“glazing over” – ha!

Watchdogs, “Phantom Tollbooth” – loved that book. I like that the costume idea is simple but cute and clever.

43. The ferret takes it. The cold case ‘cold cut’ is cute, too, as are the ‘watchdogs’- very clever!

44. And the winner is (or should be b/c of how freaking awesomely creative and wackadoodley)…ham dog!! Superb.

45. HAM DOG HAM DOG HAM DOG HAM DOG HAM DOG!

The pineapple slice on the head – I’m dyin’ over here!

46. @nads– A Hamster as a tiny ham? Single servings! Portion control!

47. piratebecky says:

Oh, fat little ham, I love you! You don’t need the pineapple, you’re already sweet enough.

48. Aaaaaaauggggghhhhh! Je cannot choose!

49. H’ok so . . . if little aviator ferret is a boy, then we could call him Emilio Ferrhart. All in favor say, “Ay, ay captain.”

50. Clocks on ‘Tocks!!!

51. GreedySkunk says:

I’ve got to go with the rakish Tank. He looks ready to circumnavigate the globe in his prop plane.

The hamdog’s costume is so clever! His hat could double as a flying saucer.

52. I’m not going to lie, before I read the comments I thought that the black dog dog was his “five o’clock shadow”.

Watchdogs makes more sense.

53. Dexter Fishmore says:

Who Watches the Watchdogs?

54. nrosetulip says:

That ferret IS the Red Baron… Snoopy’s nemesis. NOW I fully understand his zealous efforts to down him from the cockpit of his Sopwith Camel.

55. nrosetulip says:

56. twoferrets says:

That ferret is plotting his human’s slow, painful death. But he’s a cutie nonetheless! (I have tried to put clothes on ferrets. It takes more patience than most human beings possess!)

57. omg, my vote is for the ferret aviator! fricking A-grade cute!

58. cheesybird says:

They’re both adorable, but I’ve gotta do a write-in vote for the St. Pauli Girl Boxer: http://contributors.marthastewart.com/portal/index.html?ctrl:id=window.default.ContestWindow&ctrl:type=render&ctrl:windowstate=maximized&op=vpic&user=679719&ccomm=24564&offset=22&cPicId=57391

Pups ‘n’ racks, anyone?

(Sorry about the length of the link! Pity there’s no way to embed it, but at least it seems to be wrapping.)

59. cheesybird – use TinyURL :)

60. Jennie Mello says:

CO- where are you today??? I never before realized how addicted I am to your postinks. I have already checked 2 times today, and the disappointment is aCute.
    HALP MEH! I need my fix!

61. cheesybird says:

Mrs VZ – what is this TinyURL of which you speak? I am intrigued.

62. OK first off let me say that I vote for Mr. Kneesock, no wait – Mr. Ham – no… wait, I can’t choose!!!

Where’s all the putter-uppers :( It’s my birthday, I want something deadly cute.

63. Oh my jebus! That ham costume is hilarious!!!

64. weezilwitch says:

My vote is for the aviator!

Twoferrets: yes, most ferrets aren’t into clothes. I am lucky to have a tiny DEW who puts up with costumes – and looks completely adorable in them. She’s been a clown, a pirate queen, and a look-alike of my friend who runs the local Ferret Frolics. The next one will have a Christmas theme – I’m thinking Sugar Plum Fairy.

65. To see the hamdog in action (aka Jupiter, Poopus, Moon Over My Hammy, Mr. Stinkbottom or Chocolate Covered Ham) check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ5jyB7MLDI

66. “Captain ‘n’ Hammile”? “We Will Tock You”? Is somebody feeling a touch of 1970s nostalgia today? Lemme guess, it’s the whole oil crisis thing… :P

67. Selphie le Boffin says:

The ferret wins for me. Hilarious.

68. warrior rabbit says:

Pale Blue, the ham bone is a riot!

cheesybird, just go to tinyurl.com and paste in your link — it’ll give you a handy short one that won’t wrap and break in email, etc.

69. That ferret can’t make Gina forget Porco Rosso.

70. I made a “watchdog” t-shirt for my dog when I was like 9 years old, for a pet parade competition.

71. HAMDOG LIVES!!!

72. Red Baron… more like Red Bandit!

73. cheesybird says:

Thanks, warrior rabbit! That’s too farkin’ cool!

Pale Blue, that video put me over the edge! Lovin’ the ham bone.

74. Wolverine Librarian says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who immediately thought “Phantom Tollbooth” I’m guessing that Tock is on the left. He kinda looks like the illustration.

75. Tick Tocks!