Ceci n’est pas un ostrich.

Actually, this is not an ostrich. Only a picture of one.

Img_0690

We’re blowing your MIND aren’t we, Gary S.?!

Comments

1. Looks more like some kind of pricky, shell-less snail. Weird.

2. Good thing there is a sign there, otherwise I may have assumed it was picture of an emu… or a chicken with a pitutary problem.

3. PrickLy, I mean…

4. Too late, AuntieMame… :-))

5. Well, at least I got the “y” on there. :)

At first I couldn’t get the photo to scroll down, so I thought the “I’m an ostrich” sign was referring to the scrawny legs behind the chicken wire.

6. I want to know why this little McFlufferson seems to be all alone. Is he being ostrichsized?

7. The head looks like one of those leopard slugs that I’ve seen in the back yard! Neat pre-feathers. I guess his neck will grow quickly, eh?

8. ohh. he’s a baybee!!!!!!

9. the bug man says:

Meggles: Belgian surrealist jokes *and* flawless newt-identification skills?

You are made of win and awesome. That’s all I’m sayin’.

10. (the original) Mel says:

I’m a cowgirl. Howdy. Howdy. Howdy.

11. I love its soft, speckly head. That’s neat. Is the site loading slightly off-balance for anyone else? The ads on the left are stretched out so that they’re cutting into the comments. Is it just me?

12. HOMIGOD Magritte references on CO? The world can officially end on a wonderfully awesome note now.

13. Ostrich in French is “autruche”. Austria is “Autriche”. Hmm.

14. Awesome.

Meg or Teho: The blogads on the left side of my screen are too large, they are extending over into the posts (the right edge of the ad box is between the “Preview” and “Post” buttons). I’ve reloaded a couple of times and it no work. Just an FYI.

15. ThreeCatNight says:

I’m not an ostrich. I only play one on CO. Let’s have my people call your people, and we’ll do lunch!

(berthas – Having the same screen problem here too.)

16. Awwwwww, how cute is that? A chick with long legs – every guy’s dream.

17. “I am an apteryx, a wingless bird with hairy feathers.”

18. Wait, check out the spots and pattern on the neck.

(Recalls http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2008/09/giraffe-and-ost.html )

Ok, surely not…

19. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

I have a sign like that at my desk: “I’m a soulless cubicle monkey.”

20. They have that sign for people like me, curious to what it IS, though oblivious to the first 10 minutes or so while OOOOOOooooo’ing over the chicky chick chick.

The spots are super neat.

21. I have no trouble with the ads (my browser blocks them), but the picture is taking awwwwfully long to load.

22. That is so cute I have absolutely no words for it.

23. Uh yeah…why is the sign on the “inside” of the cage? Does the wee ostrich have identity problems?

24. warrior rabbit says:

Yes, the ads are way over in the comments for me, too — at home on a Mac ad FF, and at work on a PC and IE. So it’s not an OS thing, but CSS or something.

25. How cute is this little guy/girl? I want to snorgle and play! Adorabahls!

26. I’m a cowgirl. Howdy. Howdy. Howdy.

(the original) Mel | Sep 29, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Excellent Far Side reference FTW!!

27. I love their legs. When the babies walk they have little drumstick legs.

28. Blogads are still off but not spilling completely into the main part of the page. Either way, I repeat.

Awesome. Meg is AWESOME.

29. Von Zeppelin says:

Remember the great scene from “Spartacus?” I’m an ostrich. I’M an ostrich. I AM AN OSTRICH. (Etc., etc., many many times, louder and louder.)

30. momof2kitties says:

I agree with everyone else.

Blog ads overspilling comments: BAD!

Identity challenged mini-ostrich: GOOD!

[Ad-frame weirdness has been noted, thanks... - Ed.]

31. I didn’t see the whole pic at first (it stopped loading) and I had no idea what the joke behind the photo was…good thing I see it now! Oh yeah, blog ads are doing funky things to me too.

32. Anybody can put up a sign and claim they’re an ostrich. Where’s the proof?

33. “I am an apteryx, a wingless bird with hairy feathers.”

Lu | Sep 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM
    ===

Yay! A B.C. reference. I love those comics.

What a cute [picture of a] baby ostrich!

34. I heart the Magritte reference.

35. Karen,

I think you are right. This is definitely giraffe/ostrich progeny

36. Champon, Herr von Zeppelin et al:

The ostrich is not identity challenged. The sign is on the inside because the ostrich is *celebrating* its identity. It’s comfortable with its ostrichity and wishes to be Out and Proud about it. (As the facial expression clearly demonstrates, it’s a little pissed off because it hatched too late to make it to Ostrich Pride this year, since it worked its sweet little tush off on that tutu n’all. I think we should all help it have its own little parade. We’re Here! We’re Struthonidae! And We Ain’t Going Anywhere!)

Sing with me now.

37. Boomer's Babysitter says:

Loris: that’s too funny!

38. Loris- what a nice lullabye, have a great night, peeps, I’ve had enough fun for the day… the GI guy said no more chocolate. feh.

Honkshu to everyone!
    K.

39. as long as he isn’t a pipe.

40. http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~dpyro/images/pipe-large.jpg

painting this post is referencing, in case anyone doesn’t get it

41. Gail (the first one) says:

@Alex: I’m the one who didn’t get it!! Thank you so much for the ‘splanation….

Babeh birdies of all feathers are so cute!!!!

42. I got to hold one once, they are REALLY cute and squirmy and their feathers are a bit prickly

43. Existentialism PLUS cute baby anipals?
    Je suis mort.

44. Totalee Puppy says:

260Oakley–“ostrichsized”–
    Yay!! Ruff!!

Birdcage–“Every guy’s dream”–HOL (howling out loud)

45. biscuithead says:

Magritte reference rawks!

Mel’s Far Side reference in the comments only makes is that much sweeter!

46. momof2kitties: the phrase “identity chanllenged mini-ostrich” for the win!

47. See, it defeated my typing in combat. :(

48. Adrian – that’s sweet !!

Meg ? May I draw your attention to Adrian’s link, for the future “Hunks and Bebeh Animals” calendarrrr ?? Hmmmmh ???

49. doomchild says:

And here I am, thinking ostriches were large and somewhat dangerous. Time to re-read my biology books.

50. compy-saur says:

“Hello! I am a behbeh Os… Os… Ostwich… Ostrich! I just came fwom a eggs! It was weally toughs, but I have this here egg-toofs, and I busted fwee! Now I’m hungwy, mom…”