At the Hide-and-Seek Training Academy

Well, the 2008 Olympics may be a memory, but the hopefuls for 2012 are already getting a head start in the rigorous training for this demanding and often time-consuming event:

...three thousand, six hundred and twenty-SEVEN, three thousand, six hundred and twenty-EIGHT...

And here’s Diego El Kabonngg of Portugal, demonstrating the advanced eye-covering technique that swept him to the silver in 2000:

... five million, seven hundred thousand, two hundred and NINE, ...

Ready or not, here we come, Paula E! (top photo)

Comments

1. oh my word, this puppy is SO cute !

2. I thought the 2nd one was a bleening bunny at first!!! How cute!

3. You know, I thought at first that puppy was between some couch cushions or something, but I think it’s between someone’s legs. That is just the cutest pose ever!

4. Nice modesty tailio, too. But, I can tewtally see the rest of him. I WIN!

5. You guys should all vote for McCain/Palin. First, she will make sure that all these cute lovely animals either die of global warming, but if they don’t, she will just shoot them.

Sorry about the rant.

6. That puppy also looks like he’s training to do a pretty mean cannonball at the pool! That’s how I imagine he would fall out of a plane, right into my arms, forever.

7. otter otter on come free!

(or whatevs)

8. bees on pie says:

Margaret – you’re harshing my cute, man! The political stuff is waaaay out of left field (so to speak).

9. Blair..we always said Olly Olly Oxen Free, but I’m not sure what that means either. Also, I think I’d prefer the Otters to the Oxen.

I would so lose if these two little darlings were looking for me. I’d get found just to be able to snorgle them!

10. warrior rabbit says:

Margaret, I’m no fan of them, either, but let’s keep politics out of Teh Cute.

11. ok, I’m clueless… what’s going on in the first pic? a floating puppeh???

12. Is that a privacy tail?

13. It’s a cee otter, seajoe.

[*snikr* – Ed.]

14. This puppehs cuteness is almost too much to handle!

15. scooterpants says:

oh my gosh, the monty python vid was SO hilarious! had to watch the whole thing of course! I love Monty Python (this dates me)
    I can see both of these little sweeties, and I’ll take one of each please.

16. Well we all know that if an animal can’t see us then, of course, we can’t see it. The same thing goes when they’re moving r e a l l y s l o w, right?

17. That pup is totally doing a take from one of those old movies where Asta or Petey sees something scary and their paws cover their eyes while their ears stand straight up!

18. oh it’s the old: if I don’t see you … then you’re not really there technique … classic

19. m in athens says:

My kitty girl Emma a highly skilled adherent of the crossed paws style of eye hiding. I’m pretty sure it has a higher degree of difficulty due to the challenge of maintaining apparent symmetry in two different planes. Also, every time I catch her working on a routine, it nearly freakin’ does me in.

20. Matchingks?

*cursor-pettingks*

21. ThreeCatNight says:

I love that puppy. One of my cats tends to sleep with his paws wrapped protectively around his little face. It’s the cutest thing to see.

22. Puppy’s hindlegs! *dies*

Oh wait..*un-dies*..otter and his cute triangular nose!! Love it. *re-dies*

23. Diego El Kabonnggg (SNORT)

24. Well, these two did me in. I snerked, and sputtered and quietly yelped. I think I snorted, too. Nice finds, Management!

25. That puppeh has been counting for over two months! http://www.calculateme.com/Time/index.htm

If I had a rock group, I would name it Privacy Tail.

26. momof2kitties says:

Hey Ed.! Don’t you mean SEE otter?

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!

27. Agree Scooterpants, I immediately thought of the Monty Python sketch when I saw this post.

28. momof2kitties says:

Oops. My bad.

Guess that comment should be directed at starling. It’s hard to type with my eyes covered.

29. otters and pups ain’t nothin’ on this cat that plays red light/green light:

30. I never thought I’d see the day that something outcuted a sea/see/cee otter, but the pointy-uppy ears and the snorfable back paws of that puppeh just put me over the edge.

31. Nonconformist Bird says:

What? No mention of the pup ‘tocks?!

32. And the gold metal goes to….. :)

33. ok, starting off my day with an otter, awesome. and then that pup! out of control qte! best pup-and-crotch shot evah!

34. I don’t see privacy tail. I see no tail at all. Yet naughty bits not visible. Hmm. Hide and seek, but I’m definitely hiding my lil privates, thank you very much!

35. Pfft my basset can beat that with no hands… er, paws.

And now you know what those long ears are for.

36. Beautiful pics of your bassie, Pie.
    Thanks for sharing.

37. The Hovertext caption/ counting numerals busted me out loud. They’re playing a very seriously
    L-O-N–GGGGG game of hide/ seek. Their endurance in this event, is impressive. Thanks for the journalistic details!!

38. Gail (the first one) says:

One of the posts a couple of weeks ago put me in mind of the “Olympic Hide and Seek” sketch!! I love when he yells “Commmmmeeeeng!”

I didn’t realize until I read the comments here that pic #1 is an otter!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that was fluffy!

@pie: I never thought of bassie-ears as their natural camouflage!!!

39. If there was an award for word coinage. “Privacy Tail” would be winning.

Second only to bleen. ; )

40. I want to smoosh that puppeh’s shnozzle – so cute!!!

41. pie- thanks for that, what a cutie patootie! I really ove ears and the way they can be employed (or deployed in your dog’d case).