The Patagonia—WHUUUUUUUT?

The Patagonia CAVY is new to me.

I’ve never even HEARD of such an anipal. And even so, here he is! Ready for a tiny-eared closer look…

2782213983_a77619a77d

Let’s see. ‘tocks look quite good [nose up in air]

2783060358_4d215e70ff

Please note this species has mini-clawsitude, snorfy leeps and small-ish ears [peering over glasses to note on clipboard]

2783068876_af3252339c

They also obvy adore lounging on jean-pannnts and receive weekly mani-pedis.

2783069140_881b13a783

And, can DISAPPROVE WITH THE BEST OF ‘EM!

2782215765_4b83bde844

Sender-Inner Heather N. Photographer Third Jane.

Comments

1. That is the most powerful disapproval look – way beyond what a bunny can do.

2. Looks like a rabbit and rat mixed together. Very nice.

3. Cavies are beeg gueenea peegs. Or bleeny peegs.

4. It’s a squirrely-buntalope! Hooray!

5. Hrumpf!

6. Rabbit, rat and squirrel, I would say. Oh, who cares *kisses cavy’s nosicle*

7. It’s a squirrely-buntalope! Hooray!

8. Wow, that last picture. Never seen disapproval like this.

9. twoferrets says:

It looks like a teeny tiny camel in that last picture. Want!

10. It’s a squirrely-buntalope! Hooray!

11. it’s a kangaroo reindeer

12. Disapproval in last pic is complete and final with crossed paws. I agree, Lore, let’s see if a bunneh can up that one.

13. Oof! That disapproval just about broke my computer screen.

Wow this dewd is like a kangoalabun thingy!! Love eet!!

14. re: hovertext #2 — “Schnozzle”? More like “Tocks” methinks.

15. Ahhhh yes. It isn’t too popular, but you gotta love this most peculiar, most adorable of animals.

16. it’s a kangaroo reindeer

17. It’s a Kangaroos Joey
    It’s a Mini Reindeer
    It’s a Dog

Whut is eet.

18. It’s a new species, Theo, that could BE the schnozzle for all we know. :P

19. Theo: you caught that too!

20. So cute! I see several different animals in the mix. I definitely see kangaroo and bunneh. That disapproval is quite stern. Oh my.

21. It has a nub for a tail!!!!

22. It’s a jackalope! Or a jabberwock…definitely not a liger, however.

23. turbofloof says:

The last picture kilt meh ded. Awesome reindeeramouserabbitsquirrel rock hyrax! God is very wise in his creation of species – only someone VERY DIVINE could create everything cute all in one animule. Christian Bale is another example of this divine creation of everything perfect all rolled into one…but, I digest…

24. amethystfirefly says:

I can’t decide if these are cuter than their close cousins (the guinea pig) or not.

I think I’ll just take one of each, then.

25. Cripes. Sorry. :/

26. OK you taxonomists out there-is this adorable bundle any relation to a Capibara?

Wow, cuuute. No girafffe cute, but then what is?

27. We have two of these at our local zoo. My 2 yo son thinks they are bunnies. :) We were there yesterday and I overheard some little girl say they looked like a cross between a “bunny and a nasty donkey”. lol. I still think they’re cute though!

28. Haa these guys run around loose at the Zoo in Hamburg, Germany… they’re absolutetly adorable and you can even hand-feed them … if someone sees a paw dangling from ma bag.. wasn’t me ;)

29. tiny ones are cute. but full grown ones are scary. :X

i can imagine one chewing my hair like hay when i’m sleeping.

30. So THAT’S what those things are called! I saw a couple of them a few years ago at an exotic animals exhibit at a fair and completely forgot the name.

I’ve been trying for years to convince my fiance that the fabled “Guinea Pig Deer” I’ve been telling him about actually exists but haven’t been able to produce photographic evidence until now ;-)

31. warrior rabbit says:

1. I don’t think that’s disapproval. It’s total disinterest with a dash of disdain.

2. Crossed paws!!

3. Look at the [thunk of splorted ded (splorded?) cuteologist hitting floor]

32. Koalakangbun?

33. YES Jen. That much better than my Kangoalabun…though that might roll off the tongue better.

34. Gail (the first one) says:

Does Cinnamon allow non-rabbits to appear on http://www.disapprovingrabbits.com?

Quite an impressive display of cute!!! Never heard of this before!!

35. Katrina, I think they are related to capybaras, and guinea pigs as some others have noted. I think they’re all wonderful, and this guy looks totally snorglable. He may disapprove, but I’m gonna grab him and give him a big scritch between those earsies.

36. katherine says:

That’s the best disapproving I’ve ever seen! She’s an expert! And I love the comment about her being a “squirrely-buntalope.” Totally!

37. Koalakangabun? Niiiice!
    YAY \o/

Ha-I used it!!! Thanks to the peep who helped me make that symbol!!!! K.

38. You call that ‘disapproval’? HA! Foks, what we have here is–brace yourselves–CONDEMNING GLARE. (I’m going to go sit up straight and eat my vegetables now. I’d do ANYTHING not to get that look again!)

39. momof2kitties says:

Ouch! The disapproval emanating from that last picture is lethal!

I’d still like to snorgle his ‘tocks tho’!

40. momof2kitties says:

Oh, and Katrina? That was me. You’re most welcome. Anything for a fellow CO’er.

\o/

41. momof2kitties-I salute you!

\o/!!!!

42. Two words…crossed paws. Says it all. A fantastic blend of disapproval and that I-told-you-so look my mother still gives me. *sigh*

43. yeah!! They are beautiful! You should see them live… and yes, they are more like gigantic bunnies, hehehe.
    It’s dissapproval look, well… what can I say? We, argentinian, are really expresive with our faces!!! hahahaha
    Love this post. ^.^

44. Oh dear, some body left the door to the rabbit cages open and that good for nothing squirrel in the next tree over got it.

the link to the pics really looks like some crazy person stuck the head of a squirrel on the butt of a rabbit.

45. I was kinda thinking wallabunny. I didn’t type this, I’m still out cold from that last picture. Who’d have thought that anything could outdo the supreme disapproval of the bun?

46. “Wallabunny”! Yes!

47. Bigger, faster guinea pigs, they are. I loves them.

48. Again, Eddie Izzard is so appropriate here:

“Zinglebert Bambledack! Yingeebert Dangleban! Zanglebert Dingleback! Winglebert Humptiback! Slut Bunwallah!” “What?” “All right, Kringlebert Fishtibuns! Steviebuns Buttrentrunden …” “No, Jerry Dorsey! I like–” “No, we can’t … let’s see, we have Zinglebert Bambledack, Dinglebert Wangledack, Slut Bunwallah, Klingibum Fistlbars, Dinglebert Zambeldack, uh … Jerry Dorsey, Englerbert Humptiback, Zinglebert Bambledack, Engelbert Humperdinck, Dinglebert Wingledank …” “No, no, go back one!”

49. Wow, David, good quoting! Eddie rocks!

Theo, so pleased you liked that one.

50. do they all come with that cute mole on the tail?

51. Crossed paws of disapproval and judgmental condescension = pawsitude? Must remember to add to the wikipedia list.

Cand I hab a caby? Bery cube!

52. IT’S A REAL JACKALOPE!!!!! (minus the antlers)!!!!!! :)

53. Chibi Kitten says:

Eeeeee! My most favorite of animals (besides my chinchillas, of course). They have a herd of these at the Calgary zoo, and I make the trek down there at least once a year so I can sit and watch them. It’s my dream to be able to pet one.

54. Oh dear god, he even crosses his arm to accentuate the disapproval! I lurv him!!

55. AuntieMame says:

Looks half llama to me. LOL at the crossed paws. A most disapproving host of Masterpiece Theatre, methinks.

56. There are HERDS of them?!?!?!

57. Well, we’ve finally got an answer to the age-old question, “Is there anything more disapproving than a bunneh?”

58. Ellie Belle says:

I saw one of these up close a few weeks ago at a preserve on my birthday… As my mother and I described them, they were like capybara-rabbit-deer, and if you’ve ever seen one of these things in person, the cuteness factor doubles. They sit like rabbits, but they walk like really really little deer.
    I really want a plushie of one, now. :)

59. In that last picture you can just SEE it shaking his head and going “tsk, tsk, tsk”.

I had some teachers in school who look remarkably similar.

60. looks like a bunny and baby deer mixed together.
    very cute!

61. Works for me!

And yes, the disapproval level is off the heezy.

62. Heather Layne says:

Ooh, thanks so much for posting dear Lucky! I know Jane is thrilllllled with her new baby, and we’re both so glad to see the cuteness and disapproval shared here!

63. Zaphod Beebebrox to you, too!

Heather Layne- congratulations to all of you!

Chibi Kitten-
    You came ‘South’ to Calgary? May I ask, where you live? Calgary is pretty-much the Northern limit of my mental-map-of where-people-live goes, yes, shameful, but there it is…except for Anchorage, and there are Iceland and Norway way over on the other side of your beautiful country.

64. Beeblebrox, sorry.

65. Adults are 2.5 feet long and live in burrows? Egads!

66. With all the combinations of animals that this species CLEARLY is, how in the world did they come up with a short, cute name like the Cavy????

67. lol Katrina..there’s a whole other world up there, north of Calgary! lol

Like, for instance..Edmonton. :)

68. SQUEEE!!!

I’m SO THRILLED that Lucky got on here! Trust me, he’s just as cuddly in real life too! I’ve posted how he came across to be in my care, for anyone who wants to see.

As for what to call them? We’ve had them for just about three years now, and here are a few of the most popular terms: De-horned Jackalope, Deerbit, Giant guinea pigs, Those weird giant rat things, R.O.U.S.es, Guinea Bunnies, and- my seven-year-old nephew’s personal favorite- Koalaby.

69. Juniper Jupiter says:

I agree with Eastie! BUT, I do believe that this is the EPITOME of the (drumroll please)..ddddddddd….

BU-ROO!

:D

Okay, why do I hear crickets chirping?

70. I’ve just told my husband that I neeeeeeeeeeeeed one of those. Or five.

71. Koalaby works well for me. :o)

72. It’s many rolled into one delicious creature – one thing I know is I MUST HAVE ONE. It’s adorable!

73. Oh, yes, I know Edmonton-hockey team, Oilers, maybe?
    Bundle up Kristie, and thanks for being kind to me about my lousy memory. (slinks off the the map room in the grant library)(confesses that the library doesn’t exist as one room but all over the bleening house), (keeps searching)….
    thirdjane- best wishes to you and your herd.

74. Crossed pawsitude disapproval! Please, forgive me, Madame Cavy. I am a loathsome creature who does not deserve to snorgle. I throw myself on your mercy.

75. hysterical.this is maybe the funniest post ever on cute overload!meg rocks:)

76. Mkay, that last pic made me snort right out loud.

77. Rodents of unusual size? I don’t believe in them.

[*GRAAAAAHHR* - Ed.O.U.S]

78. Gail (the first one) says:

@thirdjane: Congrats to you on your little sweetie!! SO utterly cute!!!!
    (I can almost FEEL the disapproval here in Chicagoland!)

79. Those are DEFINITELY Bun tocks.

80. Yay! I’m so glad to see these photos made it onto CO. Thirdjane and I were hoping that this little fella was good enough for CO standards as we feel he certainly is! I should now upload the video of him walking on a leash. LOL.

81. pomaroo? camelrat? bunnelope? do i have to move to south america to get one?

82. It’s the Sassy Cavy!

83. I used to watch these guys for hours at the Bronx Zoo. They are awesome.

84. Brandi7920 says:

Quotes from BF as I show him this adorable baby! lol

/scrolls to first pic
    Auw is it a baby deer?

/scrolls to second pic?
    Auww – wait that was a bunny??

/scrolls to third pic?
    WTH?? Is that a squirrel?? What is it??

/scrolls to fourth pic
    Is it a DOG?

/scrolls to last pic
    OMG – that is too cute!! – now what is it?!?

BTW – that look of disapproval just about keeled me!!!

85. terry wagar says:

Joan Wagar and Eric Carlson, A,K,A, Doubleclick and Mrs Dash,( yes those are there nicknames they gave each other.) admited to poisoning me while I was a plasma donor back in 2005.
    Eric carlson pedofied me behind prison walls and then framed me as a pedophile on march 26th 2007, I caught the crime on a audio recorder I put in Joan’s purse.
    there were people in authority helping them with this and nobody in authority will help they pretend nothing happened and refuse to investigate this.
    Eric carlson changed his hair color and his name but this is not hidden, only ignored by the authority’s and media
    Im disabled from being poisoned and the hospitals refuse to admit Im poisoned.
    My Family is in danger from these people and I have no other recorse but to make these charges public.

86. Um…yeah…that last picture is a riot!

87. berthaservant says:

I like “Koalaby.” But I was thinking maybe this was the legendary esquilax? Or snipe? Or perhaps the dreaded Jabberwock?

88. berthaservant says:

Actually, google Terry’s name for verification of his non-paying-attention-to-appropriate posting history.

89. Cameleopard says:

Also known as a Mara – they’ve got a pair of them in London Zoo.No babies yet though….:-(

And yes, they are closely related to guinea pigs, and more distantly to the exceedingly disapproving Capybara.

90. OK CO management, you have your friendly marching orders, please find us a short movie with a happy capybara. Thank you.
    (Sheesh these people are getting pushy) and then Theo writes: [Getting?"] and then I write: “I was trying to be polite about it, just well, insistant.” And then Theo writes: “

[...huh? - Ed.]

91. Does this koalaby make any noises? Purring or anything-with whatever sound equipment it has-squeeeing perhaps? Snuffling? Teeth clicking? Ground stompling?

92. Ahhh, the Patagonian Cavy. I have enormously fond memories of these. Several years ago we went to a pet store and they had one for sale. I neglected to look at the sign (if there was one–it’s more of a “ask and we tell you” place) and a few months later I was driven nuts trying to figure out what the “dinosaur bunny” was. I don’t know why I settled on dinosaur. It was either its posture or just raw size.

I found out a few years later, entirely by coincidence, reading about unusual animals people keep as pets. I actually shrieked, “DINOBUNNY!” And I have always been fascinated by them.

It’s true. They can disapprove like nobody’s business.

This one is considerably cuter than the one they had at the pet store. That one was soaking up the attention with the best of ‘em, but he was uh. More charming than cute, to say the least. XD

93. Katrina, I wondered the exact same thing. Looks like a baby Capi (bara). And Cavy sounds a lot like Capi in many langauges.

94. Oh man, that last pic is classic. The crossed paws just put it over the edge. Have to say though, my bun did occasionally disapprove harder than this–particularly when in the company of my parents’ golden retriever…

95. God ran out of ideas and started combining bunnies with deer.