You Otter Be In Pictures

And now here’s an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at Modern Otter magazine’s annual swimsuit edition.  This year, legendary Portuguese photographer Salão do Invernos leads his models and crew to the exotic beaches of Yorkeys Knob, Australia.

Ahhh, ees perfect spot!
oh dear, originally uploaded by flurokitty.

Here we get a rare glimpse of Salão’s unusual "over the shoulder" shooting technique.

You are no doubt amazed by my raw talent, yes?
IMG_4981, originally uploaded by flurokitty.

In a tense moment, creative differences erupt between the photographer and crew.

I am the photographer!  I OUTRANK YOU!
IMG_4989, originally uploaded by flurokitty.

Later, Salão suffers another setback when he discovers he forgot to put batteries in the camera.

Well, so much for my Pulitzer!
IMG_5011, originally uploaded by flurokitty.

Thanks to oh-so-stylish sender-inner Ann M.

Comments

1. Gail (the first one) says:

LOL’ing at the hovertext “I OUTRANK YOU!!!”, one of my favorite lines from “The Producers”!!!

2. Ok, so there has to be a great story behind this photoset.

They all want the camera, everyone’s a photographer, aren’t they?

3. Wonder if they took any pics with it? hahahhaha. Someone above is reaching out with their hand – yelling….”MY CAMERA!”

4. Noooo!! Wow, this would just ruin your day… loose your camera and not have a backup one to catch these shots.
    I have seen a group of foxes in the zoo carrying around a baby binky. Some kid was probably traumatized.

5. good journalistic photography…from an otters perspective:)

6. Awesome photo set. Love your naration NTMTOM. Otters will indeed rule the world one day.

7. binky-mama says:

These guys are related to ferrets and boy does it show here! Wonder if they have a secret stash of things stolen from tourists…hats, sunglasses, Dads dorky fanny pack.

8. (the original) Mel says:

Ebil. EEEEBIL otterz. Stealink cameraz. Plottink, always plottink.

9. Nom Tom: Utterly briliant writing, what can I ad?….nothing.
    I’d say you should write for a living but I know that you do. Bows down, “We are not worthy”

10. Ha, swimsuit edition………………sans swimsuits.

[Wait, what? Where?? - Ed.]

11. *SPLODE*

12. Oh my god. I laughed till I was sobbing looking at this. I would love to know the story behind what happened.. and that would definitely suck for the camera owner hehe

13. Hee! I lof dem. They may be eeeeevil, but oh so cute!

14. Mary (the first) says:

Is this for real? I love #3 .. “creative differences”.. bwaaa haaa!

15. MandaBain says:

DOH!!!

16. Okay, the truth? This is the Otter Secret Service. Some foolish hooman was caught trying to photograph top secret otter plans for world domination and the OSS had to step in and confiscate the camera.

17. did he do the photography for “The Otter Boylen Girl”?? How about “The Otters” you know that scary movie with Nicole Kidman??… :-D

18. That looks like a canon. =[

19. I hate to make a suggestion that would speed the inevitable otter uprising/muzzlepowsche apocalypse, but I think otters totally need their own section on CO D:

20. berthaservant says:

I’ll be really impressed if we see the photos that the otters took.

Otter than that, I have no otter puns.

21. “Now how do I submit zees to zat website, um how you say, cute..overload..dot com?”

[ ♥ ♥ ♥ Chanpon ♥ ♥ ♥ - Ed.]

22. OTTEROTTEROTTEROTTEROTTEROTTEROTTER!!!11!!!!

23. I almost lost my camera to the sea just last week! Luckily I caught it before it bounced off the boat deck. Sadly, my battery popped out and was lost to the watery depths. So if those otters need a new battery, there’s one sitting at the bottom of the ocean waiting for them!

24. Well I hope you all join me in boycotting the swimsuit edition of Modern Otter. It objectifies otters and turns them into nothing more than really cute things to look at and “ooohhh” over. Shameful!

25. Decca, you are absolutely right. We MUST stamp out otter exploitation.

[Looks to me like the otters are doing a pretty good job of it, on their own... - Ed.]

26. This one time I saw an otter tribe take on a fully grown crocodile in Africa on TV, and seriously, it was the cutest gang beating I’ve ever seen.

27. @Decca and Jmuhj, this still ranks as the ultimate in Ottersploitation:
    Daddy Otters, please keep your daughters off the pole!

28. Daphne Moss says:

LOL…*wiping eyes*
    Only thing to add…they are so much cuter with dry fur! Sorta sluggy lookin wet, but gotta love em anyway.

29. This is pure awesome, in no small part because that wasn’t *my* camera. heh

30. scooterpants says:

ooo- it looks like that mighta-coulda been a pretty nice camera.

31. GreenEyedHawk says:

HAHAHA OMG WATER FERRETS!

32. I was wondering how one would go about retrieving one’s camera from these thieves?

33. flurokitty says:

Hi everyone,

My names Debs (flurokitty) and I took these pictures.

It was a very sunny may day and we decided to take a trip to london zoo, we go quite often because we are member and the otters and meerkats are our favourites. I was just hanging around at the top of the enclosure taking a few shots, it had just been otter lunch time and they were being quite animated. All of a sudden there was a big gasp from the gathered crowd. I whirled around to see what was happening and there was a little girl being reassured that everything was going to be OK (she had leaned over to take a picture and lost her grip on the camera).

Just as this was being said it was all too late the otter had picked up the camera and of course the first thing it did was make a break for the water.

It all went it slow motion as everyone went “nnnnnooooooooooooooooooo” but a quick splash and the camera was lost forever.

There was lots of wailing and howling from the little girl as the otters spent the next half an hour picking the camera up and jumping in the water with it, bashing it off every rock they could find, trying to wrestle it from each other and throwing it around until one of them eventually won and ran off to hide it somewhere.

The winner – http://www.flickr.com/photos/flurokitty/2800286881/ (video shot by my other half on his camera)

Eventually the keepers came along and when they were told of the situation, shrugged, laughed and explained they had animals to feed :)

I don’t know if the poor girl ever got her camera back to them it was a very expensive day out at the zoo to me it was priceless.

34. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@flurokitty: Thank you so much for the backstory on this! Typepad seems to have messed up your link, so here’s a working one:

35. @Debs, we all envy you beaucoups for being there on the priceless day, and hail you for sharing the cute!!

36. The third pic looks like a tarantula if you blur your eyes.

37. Zoo tickets: $35.00
    Fish and chips lunch:$20.00
    Watching otters play with a camera mistakenly dropped in to their enclosure: priceless!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

38. The gods must be crazy.

39. If they’re as smart as they seem Lord only knows what’s going to be created with that camera once it’s taken apart.

Makes me nervous… ;D

40. Gail (the first one) says:

@Fegli: “cutest gang beating”—-LMAO!!!

@Theresa: Thanks for the ‘exotic-dancer-in-training’ link!!!!!!!

@flurokitty: Your pics are awesome!! Congratulations on your presence of mind to take them!!

41. Jennie Mello says:

uuuuh… sorry but that should be inverno (means winter)…portuguese is a language I CAN speak, so I must show off. Thanks. Sorry again.

42. look, I love you guys, but I’m still mystified by the insistence that Otters Are Ebil. I’ve been in love with them ever since I read Redwall as a kid [most of my online handles are a variation on "Lutra", and yes, I came up with it BEFORE The Pearls of Lutra was published]

…and I’ve never thought of them as anything other than delightful and unpretentious and FUN. I know (most) of you guys are being tongue in cheek, and it is funny, really, and I’m probably overthinking it, but WHY? What started it?

43. Totalee Puppy says:

If there is reincarnation, I would like to come back as an otter. It would be all right to eat shellfish…

44. “Yorkeys Knob…” HAHAHAHAHAAH

45. Raemie L. says:

Whole thing is too funny, but third pic’s captions and hovertext is my favorite.

Enjoyed reading flurokitty’s follow up. :)

46. Heh. Too cute. Too bad about the camera, though.

47. That’s what happened to my camera!!! Give me back my canon!

48. too bad it wasnt a waterproof camera.. I would have loved to see the pictures they probably accidently took lol

49. you know what i just realized?? They probably thought it was a giant oyster.. sent from the otter gods… lol

50. sleepydawg says:

Huh, since when do oysters have these neat, convenient carry straps? Must be a new gift from the otter gods, LOL!