Make that SIR PENGUIN

Dewds, this penguin is out of control. FIRST he gets inducted (yes, I’m talking about a bird getting inducted) into the Norwegian Kings Guard of Something Something THEN—as if it couldn’t get more redonk—the bird gets KNIGHTED!

Sword on the shoulders knighted. The thing is—this penguin has seriously mad skills. Check him out with his troops. Major inspection action. The movie is here…

Picture_18

Some stills from the scene…

01020127212700

01020127220100

I bow down to thee, Sir Nils Olav, Sir! I also bow to you, Emily S. and Drude M.!

Comments

1. Martha in Washington says:

How can you KNIGHT an EMPEROR? Shouldn’t HE be knighting YOU?

2. Martha in Washington says:

BTW, he is so BLEENIN’ cute!

3. Check out that patch or badge on his flipper!

4. *images herself surrounded by a convoy of adorably waddly penguin guards*

Oh, seriously NEED that! *grabs and clones Sir Penguinpants*

5. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

“WAAAAAAAAAACK, WAAAAAAAAAACK! And for my first official royal decree, I order the beheading of those caped commoners, Batman and Robin! WAAAAAAAAAACK, WAAAAAAAAAACK!”

6. ROFL! Oh that was too fricking funny! At first I was like that’s one old penguin if he’d been an honorary member and mascot of the Norwegian King’s Guard since 1972. Then I read further down in the report that this is the second Nils Olav which replaced the original Nils Olav that died in the 1980s. Even so, that’s still one heck of an old penguin if he’s like 20 years old now, no?

7. NTMTOM – I just about snorted myself to death, there. Bahaha!

8. AuntieMame says:

He stopped to eyeball the same guard on the way down the walk and on the way back. He must have been really cute or something.

9. Oh, and I love how utterly serious Sir Penguinpants is as he inspects the troops. *serious face* *erupts into giggles* The wee little badge! Eeeeee!! *dies*

10. OMG.

His feet in the 2nd picture…

And the double-take ((Wipe that smile off your face, soldier!)) and the badge on his flipper in the 3rd pic…

I love him. Incredible.

11. LOLZ! Is that a little medal attached to his wing?

12. Penguins don’t even GROW in Norway. That is freaking brilliant and raises my opinion of the Norwegians as a people. Clearly they have an awesome sense of humour.

13. Martha in Washington is right. How did they dare to knight an emperor? On the other hand, SQUEEEEE!!! Look at proud Sir Pengueenpants and his badge. *salutes teh waddling emperor*

Oh, and those yummy Norwegian men in uniform? TOTAL overload! *sigh*

PS – This happened in EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND! The home of the brave doggie Greyfriars Bobby. What a perfect setting for our little animal hero!

14. I love Penguins!! They are my favorite birds. It wasn’t long ago that there was an article about him being promoted, now he’s been Knighted! He must be a very accomplished penguin.

15. Wow- he’s got some slopy shoulders there-good job ‘dubbing’ him!

The Norwegian sense of humor is legendary- ask any Norwegian.

I’m so proud!

No penguins don’t grow in Norway, but the Antarctic explorations are well known. Hence they probably have more penguin friends from whom to choose for this honor. Long live Nils Olav II and so say all of us! Long Live King Harald V! Oh, I’m going to have to eat some sardines today! Perhaps an anchovy pizza? Who’s with me?

16. I knew I’d be too late sending the knighted penguin to CO! I love his chubby little waddle. Oh and that TAIL…. *dies*

17. Oh Oh!! But he isn’t an Emperor!! He’s a King Penguin… does that make it ok?
    Still cute as pie

18. ALL HAIL SIR WADDLES! XD

19. Hilde, Norway. says:

I honestly had no idea.
    But this is really cool.

“our entire trust in you…you…as a penguin” It gave me the lulz.

20. momof2kitties says:

But…but..in pic #2 he’s all PIGEON-TOED!!

21. Perfection!

22. Gail (the first one) says:

“There’s a penguin on the telly!”
    “What’s it doing there?”
    “Inspection”

Saw this particular Knight on the telly myself, yesterday. Maybe they served lutefisk in the Officers’ Mess for the occasion!

23. Beth (in NC) says:

He’s a Norwegian King penguin and he’s a Sir Penguin in the Norwegian Kings Army!!!!!!!!!!

I heard this on the News yesterday morning and it’s AWEEEEESSSSOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEE!!!

I am going to cleek on the video link, I hope they have a clip of the speech, cause it was hilarious.

24. Is that a damn BADGE on that waterwing???

25. Well, he doesn’t have shoulders for those fancy epaulets, so he gets a nifty badge!

26. I don’t see how he has shoulders for being *knighted*.

27. Great Scot! I am… flummoxed, positively floored with the utter delightful redonkness of it! Nils Olav inspecting his “trops” would put General Patton himself to shame (small white puddle notwithstanding).

Love the penguin, love the guards, and love the Norwegian king!

28. Do that top button up soldier, as for the rest of you KBO. (Keep buggering on)

29. what a wonderful story!

30. That is MARVELOUS. I have no words.

31. Only a penguin can look down at how the royal guards are dressed.

32. His FEETS! His little arm badge!! So funny + cute!

What a beautiful bird.

33. That last picture reminds me that I had a dream last night of a brown velveteen spider. Not quite as exciting as the dream the night before about lizards flying around at work.

34. I love how proud of himself he looks. He even wore a tux for the occasion (sheesh).

35. Naow if sumwan wud onlii nomi–moni–er, vote this guy to bii the yooessay prez.

36. [imagines him on the battlefield with Sir Mick Jagger]
    I smell buddy movie!!!

37. Emily Mccall says:

this penguin is really cute my cousin loves them. 8>

38. Totalee Puppy says:

I vote for anchovy pizza! How late does
    Papa John’s take orders? Oh…wow!!!

39. Sorry folks, but this is ka-ka-kook-a-la!!! In the midst of a world which loves to mock the USA, at least we have never given a medal of honor to an animal. I would imagine that the other so-honored human Norwegians don’t see this as especially marvelous.

40. This reminds me of the book Mr. Poppers Penguins.

41. OMG that is too sweeet! :)

I love the way he is “inspecting the troops” at around 1:50 in the video… :D

42. Totalee Puppy- I raise my slice to you and all who love you! And a Salutatory “SQUAAAK” to Sir Nils Olav II!

Now let us eat!

Ummmmmmm, and ummmmmmm.

43. Totalee Puppy says:

Thank you, Lady Katrina! It is such an honor to have the slice risen…er, raisin…or whatever…

44. Totalee Puppy says:

Now for WBIRDIE and his “All hail Sir Waddles…”

“Waddle I do…if you…should say… we’re through…and I am blue…waddle I do?”

45. Totalee Puppy says:

(Sigh)…It’s T-Puppy again…just wanted to let you know that I did “talk” (with “The Look”)
    the family into picking up a pizza at Papa John’s…my section was anchovies…in honor of Sir Nils Olav II!
    A fantastic lunch! ummmmmmmm and ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

46. Teho, from the news report:

During the ceremony, Nils had a sword dubbed on each side of his head, where his shoulders should be, to confirm his regimental knighthood.

I also like the part of the speech that refers to Sir Nils’ “Good endowments.”

Oh, and Gaily:

And, to further dispute your point, we in the US also do things like this:

47. scooterpants says:

LUV’s the badge. military. its so hot right now.

48. I’m picturing an awesome new TV show featuring Sheriff Sorvino and Sir Olav, pimping through PA in a Gran Torino, fighting crime.

49. Totalee Puppy says:

How about an award closer to home? I nominate OPUS!! Having no king here at home, but Knights of Columbus might be able to help me out…

50. [sorry but didn’t stop at the beginning to notice & memorize the “Poster”]

Really enjoyed the section of the caption “The Norwegian King’s Something Something”. Very succinct & quite elegantly phrased.
    Thanks be with you all.

51. I don’t know what I love more: the tewtally serious way he inspects the troops; the fact that he was knighted “where his shoulders should be”; or the fact that he’s not even the real Nils Olav! Imposter Penguin!

52. As if the pictures and footage wasn’t funny enough. Here’s what happened according to the BBC.

“The proud penguin was on his best behaviour throughout most of the ceremony, but shortly before the ritual was concluded and possibly suffering a bout of nerves he was seen to deposit a discreet white puddle on the ground. “

53. baha. i’d to see them try and not laugh.

54. gravyboat says:

I would pay that penguin two mackerels and a herring to poop on one of those shined shoes.

55. This is the best thing ever!!!! It was on BBC Scotland that night, the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! I love how he seemed to take it so seriously, go Nils!

Check out the videos of Edinburgh Zoo’s penguin parade on youtube…so cute!