World’s Tiniest Snake Discovered Under Tiny Rock

Moments later, he was skinned to make the world’s smallest Louis Vuitton bag for a demanding hamster.
Dn144531_600
Excellent Cuteporting, Agent Katy S.! Photo by B. Hedges. More on Señor Snakersons over at NewScientist Environment.

Comments

1. AAAwwwwww! I want eeet!

eets teh tinyest mcsnakersons in teh wurld!!!

2. BLEEN! And does this mean there could possibly be tiny snakes I can’t see….everywhere? :Shudder:

3. AWWWWWW! It’s just so cute! Can I has?

4. There’s a M–F—ing snake on the M—F—ing C.O.!

5. Are you sure it isn’t a species of legless lizard?

6. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

7. cheesybird says:

*clears throat*

Ska-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Weeny McSnakerson!!!

8. Beth (in NC) says:

I saw this on BBC yesterday and didn’t even think to send it in! Awwwww, I am so proud of my CO-ers. I thought this was cute but I thought I would have been outvoted. :D

9. Aw, so wee, so very shiny.

10. [cue the ponderous, “this is important” background music…]
    Casefile #79, from
    “Truth is stranger than fiction” …

11. Somehow, I think the part about the purse miiiight be a fib.

12. …also, I think Seonta might be right. Shape of the head looks familiar.

13. garyfixler says:

OMG HE BIT ME!!!

I guess it doesn’t really matter, though.

14. ThreeCatNight says:

That can’t be a real snake — must be a belt with eyes!

15. My fave part of the story is the theory about why this little snake lays such a big egg–because otherwise, the baby snakers would be TOO SMALL to find bugs small enough to eat. MADNESS!

16. Not gee-ross. :(

I love snakes, and this wee bitty one is adorable! Except…does it have a face? Tiny snakes usually have itty bitty smiley faces.

17. Loving the comments on this one! Especially about the itty bitty snake smiles and the snakes laying big eggs so the babies aren’t too tiny. And obv, this little mcsnakerson himself <3

18. CO has been leaving me gobsmacked a LOT lately. We misuse words like “Amazing” and all the time. THAT leetle creeter is REALLY amazing.

19. Neato! I love snakes. They are so smooth and relaxing…cool to the touch and they bring your blood pressure right down…

20. I thought that was one of the guys I found in Costa Rica: http://www.flickr.com/photos/seamonkeymags/2731295361/

21. The only cute snake I’ve ever seen! ;)

22. Hon Glad says:

Are you sure its not just a pimp worm, in a Snake skin suit.
    Oh and peeps, watch out, the MODERATOR’S back.

23. catablob says:

He or she is perfect.
    All those tiny, perfectly formed scalios make for one tiny perfectly formed snake!

24. Aesthetica says:

i think a demanding hamster might prefer a teeny tiny itty bitty crocodile hermes birkin bag.

25. I did not think it was possible for a snake to be “cute”, but you have proven me wrong cuteoverload!

26. It is hilarious to me that the same guy keeps discovering the tiniest animals. His destiny is to discover the tinest animals (I hope he can get me a pony).

27. Good header, but Farkcom’s was better:

“World’s smallest snake discovered in Barbados. Surprisingly, it wasn’t attached to somebody driving a Hummer.”

Hee hee.

28. snoopysnake says:

Dear little snakie! I love him! He was NOT made into a purse. Snakies are for petting and admiring, not for skinning and making into accessories. A real live living alive petting snakie makes a wonderful accessorykins, though.

29. snoopysnake says:

P.S. Can you imagine his teensy weensy sheddio?

30. yeah, suuuuuuure, snoopysnake. I like them this size or smaller, thanks….

“uuughh”(shakes off that ‘eww’ feeling).

31. He’s not cute–he’s *beautiful*! What a gorgeous little creature, with his perfect little shiny, shiny scales.

32. Gail (the first one) says:

Teeny McSnakeypants is VERY elegant looking!

33. Boomer's Babysitter says:

HonGlad – A snake-skin suit on a worm? You must be awake early this morning, or you live east of me… I’m not hinking that fast yet. Thanks for the giggle.

34. Woods Walker says:

Though snakes are not my favorite aminals I prefer them to rats. They have a constructive place in nature. Even the poisonous ones. The only thing is to watch your step when you are going outside. Yes, I do think this snake is cute.- Woods Walker

35. Boomer's Babysitter says:

hinking? See?! Thinking. Sheesh. Band-aid on my finger doesn’t help, either.

36. i appreciate that this guy is cute because he’s small and everything. however, i enjoyed the mental image of a demanding hamster carrying a teeny tiny LV handbag a lot more. THAT’S cute!

37. I sent this one to my sister yesterday with the CO rule #14 definition. It is really really cute. What amazes me is that it can have all the parts of a full size equivalent, only so teeny tiny- tiny transparent ribs, wee little bead of a heart, a brain that must be the size of a grain of salt (or less)… and it all still works like a full size animal. I can’t imagine how the blood cells even manage to circulate through such a tiny vessel…

38. Zanna, OMG! You and I think exactly alike. I always have such thoughts when contemplating the tiny critters.

39. *F@$^ Louis Vuitton*

Purteck teh snaikz!!!

40. Imagine this little bitty thing trying to constrict and eat your pinky. patheticly cute.

41. SNAKELET!!

42. Snakersons: Woo! I’s a gonna get a gumdrop wif mah dime!

43. acastor05 says:

Louis Vuitton bag comment…not funny.

44. Even Indiana Jones would go “awww”.

45. snoopysnake says:

Zanna, your comment made me think of how on my pet corn snakes the pattern tapers down teensier and teensier down the body down to microscopic size on the teeny tail!

46. momof2kitties says:

Zanna–I’ve thought the same thing every time I hold a newborn baby!! How do those blood cells circulate in such teensy capillaries??

47. Yitzysmommie says:

Well, for a McSnakerson, he IS kinda kewt.
    But he’s still a snake….
    LOL @ who? and snoopysnake’s commentz.

48. I find his tiny frogs even cuter.

@Seonta and Theo: No, it’s definitely a snake. I’m an undergrad working in his lab. He’s been absurdly busy and, as a result, has forgotten to pay me. At least I THINK that’s why I haven’t gotten any money.

@Barbara: It’s weird, isn’t it? I should ask him about it. It’s not like he has great eyesight; he wears glasses.

49. Snakitude confirmed then.

Did you at least get to keep the quarter, Sam?

50. Oooh! If I saw this guy I’d probably mistake him for a very fast-moving worm. Adorable.

51. Cuuuutest tiny reptile ever!

52. Oh it’s a quarter…

I take back my dime comment.

I’m dumb.

53. SQUEEEEEEE!!!

54. I’ve never gotten up the nerve to touch a snake, but I think I could start with this little guy.

55. anastasia says:

i went under our huge pine tree hoping to find a live rabbit in my rabbit trap while armed with a butterfly net and instead i found a garter snake sunbathing* and i swooshed him up in the net and put ‘em in a bucket and he excreted a stinky smell in my net and now it SMELLS!!!

56. Yep, that’s what they do when they feel threatened. They can’t really *bite* you in self-defense, or anything else quite so direct.

57. snoopysnake says:

He’s the teensy ambhissador or snakes!

58. snoopysnake says:

ambhissador of snakes

59. Snake musk—-oh, yeah.

60. put it back

61. …it’s not done yet

62. Isn’t the position of itty bitty mcsnakersons already taken by the hawaiian blind snake?

I remember trying to catch them to keep as pets as a kid- only to end up smelling terrible. Heh. But still, watching them stick out their adorable little forked tongues made up for it.

63. snoopysnake says:

NOT gee-ross at all!

Gor-gee-ous is more like it!

64. thats not gross