Who Needs To (Flamin)go?

From our "Strangest Men’s Room Activity Not Involving Larry Craig" file comes this item from sender-inner Crystal O. of South Texas.  Seems a category 2 hurricane hit the area, and the staff of the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville herded all their animals into the safest structures they could find — which, in the case of these flamingos, meant the men’s room.  That’s the thrill of working in a zoo; you never know what urine for.  (runs away, dodging tomatoes)

'Wow, (*HONK!!*) the acoustics in here are awesome! (*HONK!!*)'

Comments

1. I love how the walls appear to be colored pink from the reflection off their feathers.

2. Paunchie says:

Most curious! Why are they in the men’s room??

3. “‘Wide stance?’ How can you have a ‘wide stance’ when you’re standing on just one leg?!”

4. Paunchie says:

I’m imagining some guy traveling through the airport with his gaggle of flamingos! Herding them along…someone needed a bathroom break.

5. These poor birds look so bewildered. Not only is there a hurricane outside, but they’re in a strange place, and there’s no toilet paper!

6. Christine says:

This would also qualify for http://www.weirdoverload.com, if such a site exists!

7. Aarrgh! I’m being pun-ished.

8. Wow, I hope no one really has to go because that would be a heck of a long wait for the flaminguys ahead of you in line to wrap things up…

9. i’ve seen homes with pink flamingo-themed bathroom decor, but this is too much!

10. plaidshirt pyrate says:

Paunchie – because in public places like the zoo, mall, concert arena, etc., the men’s room is never crowded.

Have you ever been in a ladies’ room in those places that wasn’t?

11. Paunchie says:

flaminguys?! fabulous!

12. plaidshirt pyrate says:

PS: I’m reminded of Joan Cusack’s character in the movie “Toys” — I wonder if they’re all in that corner trying to work out the harmonies to “In the Still of the Night”…..

13. Nicely rendered, NTMTOM. I won’t tell the BF that I laughed at your pun, because I don’t laugh at his.

14. Can you imagine the poor guy who REALLY has to go as he rounds the corner into the bathroom? I suspect that he suddenly won’t have such an urgent need to go! :O

15. chanpon says:

Ummm…is there a reason they are all huddled together? I thought only women go in flocks to the restroom. Spread out!

16. chet, ruby, and miaoux's momma says:

HONK! hilar!

17. That’s a very clean men’s room.

18. Tell me that men’s room is pink. Please lord let it be pink! The tiles match the flamingos. Effing brilliant!

19. Well, it’s pink NOW.
    (see also: Tank’s comment)

20. katiedid says:

I wonder who has to clean the bathroom now… the zoo keepers or the janitors??? :-D

21. Beachgal says:

I was all set to make a pink comment, but I hadn’t considered the walls picking up color from the birds. dangit.

22. NTMTOM,

Will you marry me?

Sincerely,

Patris

23. Awwwwww. Do we have to hear about Larry “Wide Stance” Craig? A perfectly good photo of fabulous flamigos ruined. I’m going to think good thoughts about fluffy bunnies, chirping birds, purring kitties, and romping dogs before I make a comment about a november house (and senate) cleaning. :)

24. Erebella says:

Okay NTMTOM, I’m at work and I squeaked when I read the Larry Craig bit so I covered my mouth. Then your final joke hit me just the right way and I nearly choked. You won’t have to worry about tomatoes, I’m flat on the floor laughing! I’m also the only girl here, like I need another reason to get picked on!

25. *throws eggs instead*

awesome!

26. Patris,

I’ll rock, paper, scissors you for that honour. You go first.

27. /me throws tomatoes at NTMTOM.

28. kerrymc says:

You’re so Punny Meg!

29. (the original) Mel says:

Gah! I HATE it when flamingos leave their graffiti in the bathroom.

30. Oh my, I don’t think I’m brave enough to look in to the “Strangest Men’s Room Activity Not Involving Larry Craig” file.

*snort*

31. I’d like to request that this be filed under the category of “matchingks” because they totally blend in with the tile.

32. See, men can pull pink off :D

33. Anyway the flamingos are way bettter than…. Larry craig Files =-0!?!?!?

34. Lone, my 12-year-old son’s favorite t-shirt is a pink one that says, “Tough Guys Wear Pink.” It’s great!!

35. I’m still wondering about the joys of “herding” flamingoes. That must have been a sight itself.

36. SillyGirl says:

*rolls eyes and groans at NTMTOM*

37. The tallest guy seems to be asking “is that the pond??!!” And everyone else pond-ering.

Get it?

38. NTMTOM, I don’t want to marry you, I just want to have a wild fling with crazy sex! Actually the Flamingos are daring each other to push the button. They want fresh water in the fountain…

39. BlueAyez says:

I have to say this is the weirdest photo I’ve seen on the web anywhere. I know it’s a hurricane, but can’t help picturing what a guy would do trying to “go” with that particular audience watching.

40. regretfully, i must say: funny, entertaining, but not cute.

41. Gail (the first one) says:

Au contraire! Flamingos are definitely CUTE! Especially these ones….

Could Larry Craig have been crowded by a similar group of Flamingos, causing him to adopt a “wide stance” to keep from being pushed over??? Yeah, sure that MUST have been it….

42. Oops! I got so EXCITED!!! Who do I have to talk to in order to steal that FAB picture legally???

Hurricanes and Flamingos are right up my alley, dontchaknow!

43. I see all the tags on these boids indicate they’re boys – did they put the lady flamingos in the little girls’ room? (Bands on the left leg = boy, bands on the right leg = girl, because girls are always right!)

44. wagthedogma says:

Someone did explain to them that that object at the bottom of the urinal isn’t a crab cake, right?

45. Anyone for a game of croquet? :)

46. Jenny Jenny in Cincinnati says:

* GROAN *

You did NOT just say that!!

47. Hovertext– SNORT!!!

48. That’s fantastic. I never really thought about what zoos would do in a natural disaster….makes sense!

49. The highlight of a trip last year was kissing a flamingo while they were on a stroll through Busch Gardens. Cutest little pink things!

50. littledogrescue says:

Where dey ize?
    Oh, and I tink they’s not hard to herd. Dey tend to bunch, don’t dey?

51. binky-mama says:

And I thought the line at the womans room was bad….

52. I live where the hurricane hit and i was wondering through the storm what they did with the flamingos! I’m glad they are at least safe :) They are part of my favorite exhibit at Gladys Porter Zoo.

53. NTMTOM – If my husband had a brother, he’d be you. We’re both word geeks, and we LOVE puns and punning! You da maaaan!

54. That is just awesome.

55. Remember: all employees must wash hands before returning to work.

56. HAW HAW HAW! Oh I was fine till I got to the last line *snicker* I’ll keep my Tomatoes, don’t worry :P

57. Lawrence says:

Uhhgghhh, Mike Not That Other Mike, urine trouble with teh pun police. Off to jail with you. Hahaha…

58. Hon Glad says:

From the back of the queue:-
    AQIC,I82Q,B4IP.

59. OMG. This is the best post EVAR.

“From our “Strangest Men’s Room Activity Not Involving Larry Craig” file…” = TOTALLY WIN.

MelTwo – LOL!!!

“Flaminguys” = Win.

Men in pink = Überwin.

Love the puns here – y’all ROCK!

60. Gail (the first one) says:

@Hon Glad: LOL!!!

61. I can just imagine really needing to go, ducking into the men’s room, and thinking “COME ON! There’s like…TEN flamingos in front of me…this is gonna take forever!!”

62. As the proud owner of robinflamingo.com and other flamingish things, I approve of this message.

:-)

63. I feel sorry for the flamingo wedged into the corner.

Also:
    And I though it was hard to pee in a bathroom housing 5 baby goats. (It was winter and the kids were still to small to weather the freezing temps.) At least baby goats don’t honk/bray if you accidentally rile them up.

64. I am in awe of flamingos. But, like penguins, they smell awful.
    The poor souls who have to clean up after this little party was over have my deep condolences.
    That being said, “MINGOS!” and “PUNS!” in equal measure.
    Oh, you are a rascal, NTMTOM.
    How did the zoo come through the storm- is everybody OK now? Hope so!

65. ThreeCatNight says:

No doubt some John Waters fans gathering to remember Divine.

66. “Gladys Porter” sounds like the name of an exclusive girls’ school.

67. momof2kitties says:

Hon Glad and NTMTOM are made of win!

68. @Katrina: According to the sender-inner, “Although the zoo sustained damage, the gates opened the day after the storm and two dozen people visited the zoo.”

69. HILARIOUS. Know what we haven’t seen in ages? A good old fashioned head tilt. Barooooo?

70. cheesybird says:

*snork*ing at NTMTOM’s pun! (And Larry Craig joke.)

Am I the only one who thought “Can you spare a square?”

71. Catsquatch says:

“George, I dont think we can all fit in there.”

“Sure we can, its not THAT small, and we can squeeze just like those humans in the VW bug did!”

“No George, I dont think so. Besides, there no water in that thing.”

“Lets try it anyway. Ok everybody, SQUEEZE!”

72. Interesting thing about flamingoes is that they actually evolved to survive hurricanes. The NOLA zoo let them sit out on exhibit for Katrina and they did fine, for example. BTW – the bathroom is the default shelter in place location for a lot of zoo emergencies, like weather, fire and loose chimpanzees. (Tho’ no one explained to the safety director that chimpanzees have hands.)

73. As teh tour continues:

“Now, over here in *this* corner….”

74. with all of their legs, they look like a pretty flower arrangement!

75. @Mike-(my favorite brother’s name)-you are sick, but then I’m ROFL so hard I’m sick. Here, have some tomato pudding.

76. anomalous4 says:

That’s the thrill of working in a zoo; you never know what urine for.

:-P Oh, pooh!

77. i’m pretty sure i had a hallucination like this once after a particularly (un)memorable evening in college. only mine also involved most of a bottle of cheap tequila and a foreign exchange student named lars, i think. good times.

78. Wake me up before you flamingo…

79. (ahem, continuing the ‘theme’ established in the first line of NTMTOM’s post…)

80. Hee! And thanks to this picture, I have decided a trip to Gladys Porter is on the books for this weekend. I haven’t been in ages. Too bad it took a hurricane to get something from my hometown area onto CO.

81. I hope they are ok now. poor things musta been stressed.

82. alexa wilson says:

in reference to newlee’s post;
    pink flamingos instead of pink elephants awesome
    color me pink with envy

83. platedlizard says:

Brings back memories. The Maui Bird Conservation Center, a breeding facility for endangered Hawaiian birds on Maui, was in a previous life a medium security men’s prison. You could totally see it, too. Anyways, the typhoon-shelter for the birds was the old solitary confinement cell. I’m glad we didn’t have to use it while I was there.

84. platedlizard-That sounds like a bunch of stories just waiting to be written!

85. GSOML

but how about the flamingirlz? Did they get to go into the ladies’ room or did they have to do the French toilet thang-thang?

(“Urine for” — snerk snerk
    coffeesplosion from nose)

86. rubber duck says:

Wonder if they’d send me a few? I’d need them for my Wonderland theme party. (Together with a few of the hedgehogs above, of course.)