This is not my fault.

Bbbb_125I am the very model of a bouncing baby bunny butt
I’ve bounced across the continent, from port to park to Pizza Hut
I know the whole Glossary, and I quote -isms Cute-icle
While standing on my two front paws, in manner most anerable

I’m very well acquainted, too, with matters controversial
I comprehend what ticks you off, both social and satirical
I clarify the Where and Why of issues touching all of us
From literary inchworm to domestic hippopotamus

I’m practiced as a pilot and like Lindbergh I can navigate
From bunway to the bayou, from the Midwest to the Golden Gate
I’ve sampled every pudding type from cantaloupe to coconut
I am the very model of a bouncing baby bunny butt!

Shave and a harecut, two bits.

Thanks to all you crazy Peeps in the comments, and of course Gilbert & Sullivan

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGGLES!!

Comments

1. I am going to be singing this ALL DAY!!!! And tomorrow, too!

2. Curse you! I just sang through the whole thing in my head and it works, and now it won’t stop. AAAAAAaaghk!

3. Bravo Theo, gift from Ceiling Cat!

HAPPY BIRFDAY MEG!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Happy B-Day, Meg!

5. Jessica says:

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

Wow. Thank you, Theo and G&S commenters!

6. Theo, that was GENIUS!
    And also stuck in my head now. Thanks.

7. momof2kitties says:

Oy! Earworm much, Theo?

And the happiest of hippo birddays to the Most High Supreme Purveyor of The Qte, Madame Meg.

(Insert Theo’s “Yay!” thingie here.)

8. Kallisto says:

What LauraG said.

And also: Theo, this is sweet. Thanks for sharing.

9. What, you mean *this* Yay thingie?

10. I believe this should be a national holiday, the Thirtieth of Cuteness.

11. Virginia says:

Can we get a soundbyte of somebody singing that? PUHLEASE?

12. Whuff, Virginia… that’d require some pretty serious practice, first.

13. Bravo! Very nicely composed!

14. AuntieMame says:

I’m gonna be humming this all day, and I’ve never even seen the Pirates of Penzance!

Happy birthday, Meg! Where’s teh caek?

15. Theresa says:

Ahem.
    Shave and a haircut,
    two BUTTS!!!

[D'oh! - Ed.]

16. Happy Birthday Meg! Hope your day is full of cuteness :)

17. Happy boeuf=day Meg! Re Ruv Roo!

18. Brak_Silverbone says:

A very happy birthday to Meg, who makes us smile and laugh with this awesome site and her amazing humor (and her partners-in-crime, Teho and NTMTOM)!

19. Michele says:

“Hoppy” (get it??!?!1?) Birthday Meg. Hope it is the best yet.

20. Amazing!! *standing ovation*

*dies laughing some more*

21. Yur AWL rite.

An bun is way tew Qte tew bii endoord.

*SPLORT*

(Kullapsuz in pudduhl uv carrut jooss!)

22. Happy Bunthday!

23. Excellent job!

Happy Birthday Meg!

24. Krys_O. says:

Happy Birthday, Meg! Sto lat!

25. Intransigentia — you and me both, sweetie! I just may have to sing that to my kitteh tonight!

26. Erebella says:

APPLAUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That was great Teho! And most of those links I hadn’t seen before, how cool! Thanks, man! And! And! And!

27. momof2kitties says:

Yes! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! woot!!!11eleventyone!!!11!!

28. I already had this tune stuck in my head ’cause I listened to “The Elements” by Tom Lehrer the other day…now it’ll never leave my head!

[So THAT'S why I did the shave-and-a-haircut thing! I totally remember this now. "And there may be many others, but they haven't been discaaaaahvered"... - Ed.]

29. Oh–and happy b-day Meg!

30. OMG, this is too weird. The other day I was watching my tapes of the Muppett show with Gilda Radner singing this song with a giant Carrot. And now this! CO is invading my brain. AHHHHHHHHH!

Happy Birthday, Meg! Thanks for all the Cute!

Theo…this was great and I too will be humming the tune all day. BTW, off topic, but you don’t happen to own a pub in Woodbury, New Jersey do you? I pass by one on my way home and it says “Theo’s Pub” and I always think of you and this site when I see it. That is how much CO has been ingrained into my psyche! :)

31. scooterpants says:

FABULOUS!
    (CLAPPING WILDLY)
    Brilliant writing to Theo-
    and of course HUGE Happy Birthday wishes to Meg.
    Thank You , Thank you , Thank you! for COL. :)

32. Noelle — um, that’d be a definite “No” to the pub ownership, but snap me a pic sometime & I’ll stick it on my Vox. Heh.

(PS — Gilda and the Muppets? Awesome.)

33. cheesybird says:

Brilliant, Theo! Gilfurt & Sullibun will never sound the same to me.

Hippo Birdie Two Ewe, Fearless Leader Meg!!

34. Genius, thy name is Theo.

Hooray for Meg being born!

35. Happy birthday Meg! :-)

36. ButtaRumCake says:

Teho, that was amazing!!!

I dunno which is better: This earworm or Berthaservant’s story with the wet cat and the stable boy with the proud buttocks

*giggles uncontrollably*

HAPPY BIRF’DAY MEG!!! May you be blessed with many many many more!! *air-kiss*

37. WHOA. It’s like MAGIC in my HEAD.

38. Heavenly says:

Too awesome!

Happy Birthday, Meg!

39. Ms. Moo, have the best of all possible birthdays!

xoxoxo

40. ButtaRumCake says:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Thanks Teho!!!!

41. ButtaRumCake says:

“prissy little trollop”

*snerk*

42. Theo–awesome animation link. One of my ultimate goals in life is to be able to play that song on the piano and sing along to it…that’ll take some practice!

ButtaRum–love that comment by Berthaservant, too! So classic!

43. charliewabba says:

Oh, man.
    I am blown away.
    Theo, I bow down and with head humbly bowed offer up to you the internets on a silver platter.
    I was going to try a Shakespearean bunny sonnet, but I am just too stunned.

And Meg, most happy of birthdays to you.

44. Do it, Charlie. You know you want to.

45. Theo, just when I think you can’t POSSIBLY top yourself… you CAN! I stand/sit in awe.

Meg, for your unflagging spreading of The Cute, I wish you endless supplies of The Luv for your B-Day!

46. Shoulders of giants, Johanna.
    ;)

47. Happily Birfday Miss Meggie Moo. Hope you get some Bouncing Bunny Balloons on your special Day. : D

48. Khadija says:

Happy Birthday Meg! Have a great day.

49. charliewabba says:

I do, I do.
    but I’m at work (shhhhh)

50. Martha in Washington says:

My son is currently in a production of “Pirates of Penzance” so I’ve been earworming this song (well, the entire score, actually) for months! I sang (in my head, no one really wants to hear me sing) the entire thing and it is FABULOUS!

Happy Birthday Oh Marvelous Meg!

51. *gasp* I just finished *gasp* reading the comments *gasp* under the “pudding” link. *huge breath* That was hysterical!!! *starts laughing again and passes out from lack of oxygen*

*revives* Ok, ok, I’m all right now.

Theo…I’ll snap the pick but I have to wait until I see my sister to figure out how to send it {I’m not great at this computer stuff} and if you’re ever in Jersey I’ll buy you a beer at Theo’s. BTW Gilda on the Muppets was my favorite episode! Long Live Gilda!

52. Mary (the first) says:

I can’t believe this is a site with (1) bunny butts (2) G & S singers (3) Tom Lehrer listeners. All in one place! (“Is this heaven? No, it’s Iowa.”)
    Happy Bunday, Meg.

53. Happy birthday, Meg – and THANK YOU!!!!!

54. Celebrations of teh qte on this glorious day! Enjoy, Meg, as you bring so much joy to all of us. Theo, I’m just stunned, largely from laughing so hard. There’s a lot of love in this room.

55. Noelle — note the date on that old post, too. That was well before I was Teh Mod. Back in the DAY, nowumsayin? (well, in the compressed timescale of Internet Years anyway)

56. Hoppy bunday Meg and many more!!!

Great job to both charliewabba for your inspiration and Teho for the great post.

57. Ahem.

Shave and a HAREcut,
    two butts.

58. Well if we’re gonna get all pedantic about it, there were actually THREE bunnybutts in the original photo, weren’t there?

59. Barbara says:

Happy Birthday Meg!

nom nom nom

(I don’t know why I just typed that)

60. NO FAIR! BARBARA’S ALREADY STARTED ON THE CAKE!!

61. Happy birthday, Meg! Thank you for having one of the best websites evah!

@Theo – fantastic rendition! I will definitely be singing this for the rest of the day. :\ ;)

62. Hippo birdies two ewe!
    … and many moooooooooore. :)

Awesome job Theo!!

63. starling says:

I’d just like to say that:

a) I like vanilla pudding
    b) I’m not a member of any societies, secret or otherwise.
    c) Happy birthday, Meg!

64. scooterpants says:

oh please no, not baccon cake. iz just not right.
    i think i actually know what is meant by “my stomach turned” now. besides how can you put the candell-a-roonies on if theres bacon on there?

65. It is so your fault, Theo.

Fond birthday wishes and all the fuzzy buntocks of the day to the illustrious Ms. Frost. *glomp*

66. chanpon says:

Perfect! Bravo! I started reading it and the G&S popped right into my head, as I sung along with it.

Happy Birfday, O Master of Cute.

I think your site is slowly taking over the world as witnessed by this most-unusual-sighting:

67. Love this. Happy Birthday Meg!

68. Chanpon — thanks, that *is* and interesting (and uncredited) sighting.

69. CAKE FOR MEG!!!!! This instant!!!!

And, Theo…wow, this really takes the cake (which we should then give to Meg). Multiple verses, no less.

I hesitate to add that “bunny-butt” also has the same rhyme scheme as “buttercup.” So maybe you can try this for the next one…(I’d do it meself but I have to teach a class). And thanks for the kind thoughts on the long-ago possum post, peeps.

70. oh how I’m loving the bunny tocks’!

71. ThreeCatNight says:

I lurf Gilbert & Sullivan!

All the best Meg as you hop forward into a new year! :)

72. @Scooterpants: It’s ‘My stomach *churned*.’

73. scooterpants says:

E – yah… that too. :)

74. charliewabba says:

with apologies to the Bard:

Let me not to the bouncing of a bun
    Admit impediments. Buns do not sproing
    Who bounce not when the grass is fresh and green
    Nor pointing skyward fuzzy thumpers fling.
    O no! They are an ever moving mark
    that sproing across the lawn, soft ears erect
    Antennae poised to catch the fleeting spark
    Of rabbit humor that they will reject
    As anti-bunnist: fuzzy slipper jokes,
    “Hare today gone tomorrow” sorts of puns.
    Rank tortoise propaganda, carrot pokes
    Will not elicit smirks from fluffy buns.
    If this be error and upon me proved,
    I never writ, nor rabbit disapproved.

[Yay yay YAAYYY!!! - Ed.]

75. wagthedogma says:
  76. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

77. That. Was. Genius.

And happy birfday, Meg!

78. WagTheDogma — wow, I’m impressed, how’d you find that? It’s perfect!

79. Kiragirl says:

What can I say except, BRAVO!

and… boing

80. Charlie — seriously, Cinnamon needs to see this!

(I have dispatched the requisite email missive)

81. Heather says:

Encore! Encore!

Excellent job Theo and I wish you happiest of birthdays Meg!

Thank you all for giving me something to smile about every day!

82. wagthedogma says:

@Teho: It were a accident, I swears! :D I thought I remembered the word “huzzah” somewhere in HMS Pinafore and wanted to use the correct reference to congratulate you on your brill-yant song parody, so I Googled the terms together. That’s what came up!

[Your Google-fu is strong, grasshopper - Ed.]

83. Artemis says:

I *knew* I liked this place! Cute critters + G&S is my idea of perfection. (Though I do have an extremely high level of earworminess with any G&S tunes, but I can live with that.)

I bow to you all.

“Bow, bow, ye lower middle classes,
    Bow, bow, ye tradesmen, bow ye masses.
    Blow the trumpets,
    band the brasses.
    Tan-tan-tara, zing boom!”

Oh, and of course a big ol’ happy birthday to Meg!

84. wagthedogma says:

Oh, and (with apologies to Groucho)…

Hooray for charliewabba, Shakespearean parodist!
    He’s brought his name true CO fame,
    And that is why we say, hooray, hooray, hooray!!!

85. Okay, I’ve got to offer something more tangible here, since the gauntlet has clearly been thrown:

in Just-
    sproing when the world is bun-
    luscious the little
    lame balloonman

whistles far and squee

and theoandntmtom come
    running from marbles and
    penzancies and it’s
    sproing

when the world is puddle-anerable

the qte
    old balloonman whistles
    far and wee
    and megandwinston come dancing

from hop-(butter)scotch(pudding) and jump-rope and boxhab

it’s
    sproing
    and
    the

cotton-tailed

balloonMan whistles
    far
    and
    squee

86. e.e.bunnings! Schweet!!

87. (I think I need to add “Boxhab” to the Glossary, too)

88. Best birth/bun day song evah!

Can’t stop singin’ it. Now if only I could get my bunneh to thump in time with me.

89. Happy “B” Day Meg!

Theo…you are certifiably
    full of geniosity!

90. Michelle says:

yikes! The whole office thinks I’m nuts after all the giggling and snorts coming from my cube. Thanks!

91. LlamaHomefry says:

Hahaha, Gilbert and Sullivan parodies, FTW! This is awesome!

92. Boomer's Babysitter says:

Love the poetry and the singing! Happiest of b-days, Meg! And, if I were Boomer, and not *just* his babysitter, I’d send you a wet slobbery Boomerkiss. Which, I’m sure, you can probably do without, actually…

93. charliewabba says:

berthaslave – you the MAN!
    that had massive fabulosity.
    oh – and wagthedogma – thanks for the Groucho salute. I am humbled (but I’m a she. Charliewabba is my nom de keyboard, also the name of my aftrcan grey whi is currentky trying to nom the keyboard )
    and Theo – email missive? huh?

94. TrekkieCat says:

That made me forget my crappy day pollinating seed corn. I needed that.
    *gigglefit*

95. Happiest of Birthdays to you, Meg. And many more!! Thank you for all teh cute you bring to us!!

GENIUS, Theo!!

96. kittymom says:

Happy, Happy Birthday, Meg!!
    And kudos to Theo (and G&S, of course) for such a great Birthday tribute to Meg ;-)
    And many, many more!

97. Oh hey — I dug up another old post which lays out one of the crucial battles in The Pudding Wars. There was a sleppy kitn and even RHUBARB. The horror.

98. Ah, the Good Old Days.

The mention of carob chilled me to the bone.

99. and all the old Peeps from, um, well I guess only two years ago… [snif]

100. Totalee Puppy says:

(To the tune of the Broadway hit “Memories”)
    THEO…Bunny butts in the
    moonlight…How your wit
    entertains us…You amaze and inspire…

Happy Birthday to our
    brilliant Meg! You deserve
    a baker’s dozen cupcakes!

101. More G&S…

If everybunny’s somebunny, then no one’s anybunny…

102. BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!!

Theo, you have completely and udderly outdone yourself!

If I could whistle, stomp, and clap in print, I would.

>SPLODE!<

103. BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!! WHISTLE! CLAP! STOMP!!!

Theo, you have completely and udderly outdone yourself (oh, wait – a mixed metaphor!)!!!

Happy Birthday, Meg!

104. Squeeeeee! I lurve it!

Hippo Birdie, and bestest weeshes! Keep up teh qte!

105. tablemountaingirl says:

HIPPY PAPY BTHTHDAY MEG!!!

106. ashagato says:

theo, charliewabba, and b-serv:

you three just made my day :) genius!

107. T-O, B-Serv & CharlieWabba … I bow to thee.

108. Hon Glad says:
  109. Y’know, Theo, it’s bad enough that I’m thinking and speaking in a British accent after watching Sweeney Todd (again) and reading too much Neil Gaiman… but now I have THIS stuck in my head IN the British accent AS SUNG BY Helena Bonham Carter. … Actually it’s not that bad *toddles off, humming along*

Oh, and Meg my pet, happiest of berfdays to you, oh Queen of Cuteness, Lady of Lovability, Duchess of Doggies, Czarina of Zany Accents, Baroness of Bunnehs, Countess of Kittehs, Marquess of Maudlin Fish, Herzogin of Hilarity, and Princess of Pudding Fights. *a bow to you*

(note: entire post best read in British accent, love.)

110. starling says:

I can’t read it in a British accent, but I can attempt Lancashire, or Yorkshire, at a pinch. That OK?

111. Oh don’t let’s start splitting hares, now.

112. Gail (the first one) says:

@Teho, Berthaservant and charliewabba: You peeps are all so talented and creative!!

And thanks to whoever posted the link to the Tom Lehrer song “The Elements”. That gave me a reference (never having seen Pirates of Penzance)!!!

113. wagthedogma says:

@charliewabba: Sorry for the gender gaffe! And tell that keyboard-nomming bird to mind his Ps and Qs! ;)

114. A truly stellar day at Cute Overload. Nice goin’ peeps of all stripes!

115. wagthedogma says:

Can you possibly stand one more? G&S, different operetta:

Three bouncing baby buns are we,
    Disapproving as we can be,
    Mooning you all with churlish glee,
    Three bouncing baby buns!

Everything is a source of fun,
    When you’re a CO-featured bun,
    Animal Planet’s on line one,
    Three bouncing baby buns…

Three bunnykins so cute and fluffy,
    Freed from our hutch, it was so stuffy,
    And we don’t care if that makes you nuffy,
    Three bouncing baby buns…
    Three bouncing baaaa-beeee buuuuns!

116. Maerlyn says:

Oh, this is all too much! Can I get that as a ringtone for my cell phone?

Happy birthday Meg!

117. mberkie0 says:

What a wonderful post to welcome this frabjous day, calloo, callay. Happiest of birthdays so far to Ms. Meg, whose COL site has helped me maintain sanity in this crazy world. And a “say, what?” to the rest of you crazy peeps, and YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

118. zeldapie says:

Happy Birthday, Meg!!!
    Wheee, I loves me some Gilbert & Sullivan & bunneh buns!!

119. charliewabba says:

YAY wagthedogma!
    I was so hoping someone would do that…

120. wagthedogma says:

Thanks, Ms. Wabba! Late entry though it is, I had to get it out of my brain before it drove me nuts! :D

121. Katrina says:

Ahhh, it is a good day indeed when one can use/read the word ‘churlish’ and, put it together with ‘glee’.
    Everyone has been so wonderful-I’m having such fun reading through today! Thanks, everyone! Keep it up!

122. That. Was. GREAT. An Internet would be anachronistic, so you win a telegraph system.

Wow, there’s a lot of G&S fans here. I’m thrilled. Hey, anyone want to help me with my plan to make an anime version of The Mikado?

(No, really, I’m serious. It’s already GOT Japanese schoolgirls…)

123. Lizzy: Oh, man, that always happens to me. When I was introduced to Red Dwarf, all my thoughts ended up in a Liverpudlian accent – and in a male voice, which was a little disconcerting.

124. michagosoe says:

“Can you do it one more time? And can you do it really fast?”

125. Beth (in NC) says:

Priceless. :D

126. Oh, what wonderful, wonderful parodies! All of them!

CharlieWabba, the couplet at the end of your sonnet is beyond perfect. I, too, admiringly bow in your direction!

127. I hope you’ll accept my humble offering, late though it is… to the tune of “A Hammer Hung in a Hardware Shop” from Patience:

A bun did sproing in a grassy field
    The sight to all who observed appealed
    Cuteologists everywhere did see
    A bun as cute as a bun could be

But the bun stayed distant and aloof
    The expression on his face was proof
    “This behaviour,” he said, “does not behoove,
    And my haughty mien shows I disapprove!”

[Chorus]
    He disapproved?
    [Lead]
    He disapproved.
    For no gold coffers of carrot offers
    A stubborn bun can move:
    Persuasive patter will never flatter
    A rabbit to approve!

Happy birthday, Meg!

128. That is freakin’ awesome!