The Something in the Something

To:     Meg
From: NTMTOM
Re:     Kitten Photos

Thank you so much for sharing the adorable photos of the kitten reclining in the baseball cap.  I quite concur, they are among the most charming I’ve ever seen, and I shall endeavor to post them as soon as possible.  But unfortunately, at the moment — and I find this a trifle embarrassing to admit — I seem to have the most damnable case of writer’s block.  Surely, I reason, there must be a pithy way to summarize this scene in my inimitable fashion — "The Feline in the Headgear," perhaps, or "The Calico in the Cap" — but alas, the harder I search for it, the more it eludes me.

Sheesh, is this idiot for real?

But nonetheless, I am undaunted. Perseverance is my life’s blood, and excelsior my motto.  If it takes me all evening, I shall craft a missive possessing of that elusive spark of wit your readers have come to expect.

Yeah, you do that, Shakespeare.

Thank you for playing Stump the Writer, Amy Lee B.

[How about "The Tom in the Toque?" - Ed.]

Comments

1. you slay me ntmtom. in a good way of course.

2. Awww reminds me of the fox cub in the riding helmet… except much cuter because it’s a kitty. Bleen!

3. Catsquatch says:

TAAAAKE MEEEE OUT TO THE BAAAALLLL GAAAAME!!!!
    TAAAKE MEEE OUT TOOO THE CROWWWWD!!!!
    BUY ME SOME PEANUTS AND CRAAAAAKERJACKS!!!
    I DONT CARE IF I NEVER GET BACK!
    SO ITS ROOOT ROOT ROOT FOR THE HOOOOME TEAM!
    IF THAY DONT WIN ITS A SHAAAAME!!!
    WELL ITS ONE TWO THREE STRIKES YUR OUT!
    AT THE OLD BALL GAAAAAME!!!!

Man Im tired….
    :shnoooooozzzzzzze……:

4. Kittehs find the darndest places to sleep. So sweet. I want to tickle those toesies!

5. marishka says:

The Kitty in the Klobouk?

6. That’s a really nicely insulated cap there, man.
    *Pets insulation*

7. AuntieMame says:

Ooh, I know! The Cat in the Cap! Yes!

8. Would you find it in a cap?
    Would you dream it, in a nap?
    Does your muse avoid you now?
    Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?
    I would not like to be like that,
    If I could not put cat in hat.

9. ButtaRumCake says:

OMG!! TOE BEEEEEEEEEEANS!

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee’splode*

10. Katrina says:

Feline in the fedora?

11. The cat, having apparently chewed the hat into submission (note chunks missing from brim), is merely resting on his/her laurels.

12. misschelley says:

Are you kidding? this is so obvi a CAP NAP!

13. Kittens can sleep anywhere in the most weird positions… So sweet…

14. marishka says:

Where were we? Oh, yes:
    cat, hat; in French, chat, chapeau
    in Spanish, el gato in a sombrero
    and I’ll tell you something more
    now you listen to me good:
    in German I’m a Katze und dieses ist meine Hut!
    Ist das nicht eine Katze Hut?

15. metsakins says:

NTMTOM, don’t ya worry ’bout a ting! Low expectations, I have them.

16. KB in To says:

To be totally styling, the tail should really be dangling out the back strap.

17. In cases of high fashion such as this, I think that only the proper Frawnch will do.

Le calicot dans un chapeau.

18. Erebella says:

Methinks it’s a calicap.

19. Since kitty is a calico, she is probably not a tom. The orange/white/black gene combination is sex linked. There are some unusual circumstances which can lead to calico toms, but they are very rare, and they cannot pass on the trait.

20. pcflamingo says:

My favorite book as a child was “Katy the Kitten” and I still remember the first part… “Katy the Kitten, a small tiger cat, asleep in a ball, in the hall, in a hat.” Feel free to modify to any other sort of cat :)

21. Seven Paws says:

Awwwwwwwwwww calico is taking an All Star Break in the hat!

22. uilleand says:

Calico TAILTIP..

*nibblenibblenbibble*

23. gingermiller531 says:

Someone beat me to the punch about the Cap Nap.

Of course, the kitteh in the cap is the *real* reason Babe Ruth’s hat went for so much in that auction.

24. ThreeCatNight says:

The Cat in the Hat came to town,
    And walked into a store.
    A most engaging kitten
    was snoozing by the door.
    “What’s this?”, he said,
    “And why does she sleep
    in a cap that I clearly adore?”
    The kitten took no note of him,
    And cut “z’s” all the more.
    “Does it come in other colors?”, he asked
    “The cap, of course”, he said.
    “Oh yes”, said the eager salesman,
    And he showed him one striped white and red.
    And so The Cat in the Hat left with a smile,
    and tiptoed past the cap.
    “I guess I’ll have to find a larger one of my own,
    and a place to take a nap.”

25. No, no – I ordered a Gimme CAP, not a Gimme CAT! No way am I wearing that thing on my head, nossir.

26. NTMTOM: your motto is excelsior?
    Mine is: cream cheese
    I bet Kitty in Cap’s motto is: catnip & naps

Great cat, great description!

27. What a lovely, sweet kitty!

28. @Candace: Haven’t you heard? Cats are all the rage in headgear this season.

29. Kiragirl says:

Rally caps!

30. LMAO! The hovertext really makes the whole thing perfect. :-)

31. gloom raider says:

The Beast in the Ballcap!

32. Hee hee, Jim, excellent poem! But seriously, this baseball cap is clearly a gateway to more serious habits, like boxes, basins, bowls, and sinks. Is there a boxhab for juveniles?

33. Well, it’s gotta be boxhab because caphab is too difficult to say. Go ahead try it: caphab, caphab, caphab.

34. riolinda says:

Awww…. that second picture killed me! :)

35. Feline in a FRAYED fedora.

36. It’s a CAP NAT.

(Cap nat, cat nap, get it?)

37. Not SupposedToBeDoingThisAtWork(GotANewJob) says:

Laura, “cream cheese” is a most excellent motto. I may have to borrow it…

‘Yeah, you go ahead and do that, Shakespeare.’ Ha!

38. ‘How about “The Tom in the Toque?”‘

Except for two things…SHE’S not a Tom, and that’s not a toque!!

We could go for the obvious…The Cat in the Hat…

*noms on little pink toes*

39. My job here is done. I have kilt the evil hat now I shall show it who the True Queen is!!!!

40. Aww!! Cute! Reminded me of my kitty before. Do you know that Calico cats are females, never males? Scientifically proven :)

41. Almost never males, chumpman. They do occur on occasion but they have to have two X chromosomes – the orange and black colour is carried on the X chromosome, therefore to have both colours, a cat must have two X chromosomes. The rare male calico or tortoiseshell has XXY instead of the usual XY. (Females are XX.)

42. Erebella says:

Okay, all that XX talking is turning me on. Stop it, I’m at work for cryin’ out loud! Sheesh!

43. Honestly, peeps. I covered the “calicos are usually girls” thing with a hover. Tsk.

44. NTMTOM…don’t worry, writer’s block is totally normal and usually passes. I suggest going into another room, putting on some soothing music and cuddling with a furry animal for about an hour. Then go back and try again. It usually works for me :)

Great hover text btw! And totally adorable kitty!

45. Dear Meg: I never have writer’s block. That having been said, I don’t always have the most original ideas. Metz took my idea about the frawnch. Anyway, I am “tech avail” as they say in the biz in case NTMTOM’s “writer’s block” (makes “drinkie-drinkie” motion) proves to be a lingering concern.

46. starling says:

Do XXY male cats flounce?

47. NMTOM – have you considered calling a Doctor for your affliction? I know a good one… (who can also help with wocket-infested pockets, megalomaniacal turtles, and boastful rabbits and bears, if these are causing you trouble) :)

48. Julep Ann says:

It’s a kitty cap.

49. CAPtioning is beeg
    reesponsibilitees. I’d tip my hat to yer, but there’s a
    cat in eet. Haroooo.

50. Teej — yes indeed. Just don’t call the Fox in Socks, though. Trust me, that’s one specialist you want to avoid, especially at bedtimes.

– LeSieg

51. Kiragirl says:

Wear the Fox Hat

52. LeSieg – doesn’t Rikki like to read Hop on Pop with MR. Bounce?

53. LOL. More or less, yes.
    (he’s SO much bigger now…)

54. Kitty taking a cap nap!

55. I was thinking more about *this* episode, Mr. Teho…

[Ah of course! Here, lemme do you one better on the linkage there... - Ed.]
    [http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/07/meer-cat.html ]

56. NTMTOM, even when you’re off, you’re on. Great work. And peeps, you’re killing me today. Mike’s block has obviously inspired excellence in the rest of you.

57. How about “Tom in a Tam”?
    Love the pics!!

58. Teh berry saem, Mussyur T-eyoh.

59. Encapsulated.

Encatsulated.

Kitty capsule.

60. I still like “Calico in a Cap – a still-life.” (ignores the twitching tail)

61. Cat,hat. In French chat chapeau. In Spanish, el gato in a sombrero. In German he’s a katzen in a hut and don’t you know? He’s a gunka in abunkaquonk in Eskimo! Thank you Cat in the Hat

62. catter up!

63. Tara Narcross-Wyckoff says:

In Somali, she’s a mukulaal in a koofiyad.

64. Tara — OK, it *does* roll off the tongue, just not in the same way.

;-)

65. Thank you, Dr. Seuss, et alia.
    Come on Norwegians- I don’t know the words for ‘cat’ or ‘hat’!

66. I like “et alii” better — the other sounds too much like Paul’s freaky little sister from Dune. He IS the Kissass Hackysack!

67. Hey……..I’m just trying to catch a nap. What’s with the camera.

68. BeanSidhe says:

I can’t decide what’s more awesome… the fact that even geniuses get stumped or the “go away before I eat you” look in the first picture.

69. Most people don’t realize that we usually just sing the chorus of “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.” The whole song goes like this:

Katie Casey was baseball mad,
    Had the fever and had it bad.
    Just to root for the home town crew,
    Ev’ry sou1
    Katie blew.
    On a Saturday her young beau
    Called to see if she’d like to go
    To see a show, but Miss Kate said “No,
    I’ll tell you what you can do:
    You can take me out to the ballgame (etc.)

Katie Casey saw all the games,
    Knew the players by their first names.
    Told the umpire he was wrong,
    All along,
    Good and strong.
    When the score was just two to two,
    Katie Casey knew what to do,
    Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
    She made the gang sing this song:

Take me out to the ballgame (etc.)

70. AuntieMame says:

When my older sister was tiny, her favorite book was “Hop on Pop,” but she called it “Don’t Jump on Daddy.”

71. Gail (the first one) says:

@Theresa: You’re awesome! I have NEVER seen that before!

72. Err…ummm..

“The Cat in the Hat”?

[... ... ...]

[...naahhhh, that can't be it - Ed.]

73. the other Brenda says:

” I like it here, I like it a lot, said the CAT IN THE HAT to the fish in the pot!!!”

74. OMG Yoda ears!!!

75. @Gail, I never would have known that either, except for a favorite professor of mine, who edited a music anthology. He included “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” with all the verses.

76. PS My brother made an opera out of “Hop on Pop.” He would read the entire book straight until he came to “Hop on Pop,” then drop into a dramatic baritone and sing
    “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You must not hop on Pop!
    You must not hop on Pop
    You must not hop on Pop
    NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”

Sounded a little like Rossini. ;)

77. …or Freddie Mercury

O BAAASEMENT CAT HAS A HARBL SET ASIDE FOR ME
    FOR ME
    FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEow!

78. …um, sorry bout that. Throwback.

79. I had a cat that could have been Freddy Mercury once- or a pre-incarnation of Winston-wait a minute… was that…no, it couldn’t have been…well, now that I think of it, Freddy had just passed away, oh that IS creepy…

80. heeheeheeheee!

81. If the cat were a little heavier, you couold have been singing Fat Bottomed Cats…no?

82. ..you make the purrin’ world go round.”
    Didn’t think I knew that one, didja? heh,heh…

83. Silarius says:

Come on…

LOLCAP!

84. krystan says:

how bout…..”The cat in the Hat”….(refering to Dr.Seuss)

85. :crickets:

86. Katrina says:

as in Jiminy?

87. When you wish upon a star
    Makes no diff’rence where you are
    Unless of course you’re in a bar
    Where dreams come truuuuuuue…

88. Kodalai says:

I felt the need to contribute, having known this kitty, that the cap was not chewn by the cat.

The cap was chawn on by the puppy we had in the house at the same time, hence its suitability as a pet bed.

89. Glorioski Kodalai, EVERYTHING is a pet bed!