Obsequious, Yet Austere

NEW YORK — The Shreikmann Galleries are pleased to announce their acquisition of the latest work from master surrealist Eduardo "Pickles" Passollini.  Entitled Eternal Abyss of Sorrow and Nothingness, Number Seven (oil on canvas, $7,450), the piece continues Passollini’s fascination with the theme of Order versus Chaos, juxtaposing disorientingly random lines and colors with stern symbols of authority, once again the Giant Hand.

The piece will join other recent Passollini offerings, such as Swirling Vortex of Inescapable Suffering (mixed media, $12,500) and We’re All Doomed, It’s Hopeless, Somebody Just Kill Me Already (toothpaste on corrugated cardboard, $37,000).

I CAN HAS CUBISM?

I don’t know much about what I like, Johanna S., but I know about art.

Comments

1. Anne Boleyn says:

It always worries me when these things make sense to me!

2. Lovely. And it’s about time we got Caturday posts! I’ve been waiting all day!!!

3. Gorgeous work of art!

4. 260Oakley says:

Only a blue-eyed kitteh could get away with stripes and polka-dots in the same outfit. Art, schmart.

5. I often find that the world makes much more sense when viewed upside down.

6. I wonder how one conveys hopelessness and suffering with toothpaste on cardboard. You may have vastly underestimated the dollar value of that piece.

7. Personally, I find Passollini’s work too derivative of Jan van Bunnitor’s infamous “Baby Chicks on Plywood” series. When exposed to the gaze of the feminist audience, the phallocentric paradigm is all too obvious. While the Giant Hand is tantalizingly asexual, one assumes ownership and thus places oneself in cuddly proximity of the object of desire.

8. Stripes on legs clashing with stripes on couch. :(

9. HAPPY JOHANNA S. DAY!!

10. ashagato says:

watch ouy mtom, in decca you have a worthy foe..

i love it!

11. ashagato says:

just saw the hover text: LOL!

12. i can think of nothing witty to say…

13. abbigale says:

o my goodness my friend has the exact same cat(the way he looks)!

14. Thanks for pointing that out ashagato – love eet!

15. fish eye no miko says:

Hhehe… He’s all twisty! That’s cute ^_^

16. Ashagato, thanks for reminding me. I cracked up at the hover text! I wubs dat kitteh!

17. Holy Christ, Not That Mike, you are freaking hysterical. {{shakes head in utter disbelief}}

18. englishwoman says:

lols@decca

19. Oh, the quadrapedal humanism.
    Just too too.
    Great job, NTMTOM you can come to all of my birthday parties!

20. Nicolletta says:

Itty Bitty Pretty Kitty!

21. NTMTOM, each post I think “he can’t possibly get any more hilarious” and then you do!! That was brilliant!!

Ultra cute kitteh, too.

22. Finally a cat for caturday! :)

23. Okay, the kitten is adorable, but the “article” made me LOL. Hard.

24. Oh Good Lord NTMTOM…. you just killed me.. I was laughing so hard and the kitten is all that and a handful of paint brushes. The giant Hand Snicker… I am taking art appreciation and I must say it was just like reading my text book. ; )

25. Yup yup yup. Awl uv teh abuv. Ai agriiz wiv.

*SPLORT*

26. I would like to give it a bellyrub right now!

27. Layla42 says:

NTMTOM.. Win. Just epic freaking win.

Oh.. and the kitters is cute too.

28. Gail (the first one) says:

I believe that toothpaste is an underexplored medium. Witness the poignancy of McFlufferson’s series “Splatter I – V” (mixed media: Crest on mirror) as he expresses the hopefulness of youth through his masterful use of toothpaste.

29. Okay – that’s it! I gotta confess. I visit cuteoverload.com just for the articles! (Yes, yes. I love the photos. But the writing just kills me! And the combination of the 2…oh, lordy! Let’s just say it’s a good thing I have private office!)

30. Oh, and @ Decca? And THAT was brilliant too! HAHAHA!!

31. Finally, I’m able to put my M.A. in Art History to some use.

(Would you like fries with that?)

32. Kallisto says:

Not that Mike, I *love* the article.

33. Look at those blue eyes…. Gorgeous…

34. I’m gonna guess that “Swirling Vortex of Inescapable Suffering” is the litterbox.

35. (This obviously illustrates the)”end of trajectory of artist as autonomous agent against dominant culture (avant-garde): artists becoming positioned as autonomous and outside critique or accountability to public or marketplace.”
    & btw, I did not invent the above quote.
    Plus it means we all need more kitty sparkles and snorgling.

36. Hahaha, kyoot <3
    What a beautiful kitty

37. ashagato says:

lezlee: the litter box will forevermore be known as the swirling vortex of inescapable suffering…lol!

38. Having spent my senor year in high school saying, I like that, but is it art?, I had a good chuckle at your last line, NTMTOM.

Being older and wiser, I know all kitties are a work of art and that kitty would work in well with the decor and be artistic.

39. If the kitteh stares into the abyss in the upside down position, does the abyss still stares back?

40. BeanSidhe says:

@ashagato and lezlee–
    especially for those of us who have to change them. Did two today. I think my smell receptors are fried.
    That said, KITTEH!!

41. Karen in Toronto says:

I’m looking for a colourful kitteh to contrast with my monochrome kittehs (black/white, black, grey/white), but I don’t think that’s a good enough reason to get #5. What think y’all?

42. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! sooooo cute!

43. Martha in Washington says:

Karen-ANY reason for another kittie is a good one!

44. Noelegy says:

Just speaking as someone who minored in art and took a LOT of art history classes….SQUEEEEEEEE!!! Itty bitty fluffy lynx point cuteness!

45. Michelle says:

*tilts head, holds chin, furrows brow, nods*

46. neptune says:

I love you, Other Mike!

And I love le kitteh too!

47. Definitely an interesting piece. The composition is a bit muddled but the colors are fascinating.

48. Rebecca says:

Art historical hilarity + kitten = best ever!

49. what a pretty kitty, complete with little “Daggers of Death” in each paw.

50. ButtaRumCake says:

LOLz @ Michelle!!

51. @ashagato — well, it *does* say “multimedia”.

52. A post dripping with satire, Bravo.

53. It’s not all about the hand, Decca, particularly considering the artist frequently uses different hands in every composition. To assume the Giant Hand is a single, ubiquitous idealized ego that conforms to a single desire/response in the viewer is to negate the pluralistic possibilities inherent in each hand’s unique identity.

And, as always, the feminist reading ignores the obvious: KITTEH IS SO CUTE OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

54. LOL!

55. bookmonstercats says:

Decca… I do hope not….

56. Other Mike, you are the weirdest weirdington… Are you married? *bats eyelashes*

57. You completely crack me up, Meg!!

[How about Other Mike, though? Check the byline... - Ed.]

58. Oh and by the way, Other Mike, this may be my favorite one of yours yet.

59. The monumental otherness of this work is excruciatingly palpable. I like the fluffy kitten, too.

[*SNERT* - Ed.]

60. I thought you were serious ….and I was like hmm the things people would pay-and then I realized you werent-and I laughed.

61. This one had me little LOL. {usually I laugh silently to myself as I am in an open office and do not wish to disturb my coworkers} That last lined just slayed me! NTMTOM…could we be related? This is the kind of stuff my family comes up with.

Love the Kitteh!

62. susanna says:

there is nothing about this post that doesn’t completely rule the universe. poifect!

63. So is there anything about this post that only partially rules the universe?

64. Katrina says:

Obsequicity- a grand new word!

65. Brak_Silverbone says:

If they hung this in a gallery, they’d need to have a sign nearby that said “Please do not snorgle the art.”

66. OMG!!! hee hee hee!! I cannot stop laughing about toothpaste on corrugated cardboard:)