Miracles of Science!

OSLO — Scientists at the Grubermann Institute for Hypnosis have announced that they have successfully hypnotized a subject into believing that he is a bowling pin. "The hard part," notes lead researcher Pyetr Van Fnyrrd, "was getting him to wobble realistically before falling over." The team hopes to apply concepts learned to its next project: Hypnotizing a family of four into thinking it is a set of steel-belted radial tires.

Oh, please be a gutterball, PLEASE be a gutterball...

Better keep him away from hedgehogs, Johanna S.

Comments

1. NTMTOM, you crack me up every time :))

2. I miss the shorter comments from Meg :(

3. 260Oaklye says:

Oh pooh! Short, long, it’s all good. But what is this fetching creature? A White Wallaby? That sounds like a drink…

4. ThreeCatNight says:

I stand here, giving it my all,
    And they think I’m waiting for a bowling ball!
    It never fails to occur to me,
    What true fools these mortals be!
    So whilst I recover from the initial shock,
    Could someone please hand me the SPF100 sunblock?

5. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@ThreeCatNight: LOL :-D

6. Not SupposedToBeDoingThisAtWork(GotANewJob) says:

You can count me on Team NTMTOM!! What did Hila say? You crack her up every time? Me too! Awesome job. “Wobble realistically”! I mean, how can you not be ROFLing??

Pyetr Van Fnyrrd, indeed. Hee!

7. hon glad says:

I’m only little
    and look like a skittle.

8. Winni-Pig says:

Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down!

Play on little kanga! (or wally – not quite up on these!)

9. That’s… not a very Norwegian name :D

10. wagthedogma says:

Actually, Other Mike, I think the next project for the Grubermann Institute for Hypnosis should be hypnotizing a Tasmanian Devil into believing that it’s a bowling ball. Nine more zoned-out wallabies and you’d have yourself one heck of a Saturday night there!

11. edmundH says:

LOL @ the alt-text

12. i threw a 38 once

i think subconsciously i think the pins all look like wabbalies, or penguins

maybe that’s my problem

13. he just needs a red stripe around his neck…
    :o)

I don’t want to hijack the conversation away from this very kee-ute guy/gal,
    but I have a question for any guinea pig cuteoligists in the house today.
    Do guinea piggehs tend to eat less during the summer? My little guys seem to be less active and less hungry lately…
    I am somewhat worried, as I am an admittedly obsessive mother. Thanks for any info!

14. Winni-Pig says:

Ceejoe: go to http://www.guinealynx.com for really fantastic guinea pig information and a very lively commmunity of people who love these little guys dearly.

15. zeldapie says:

Someone tuck his tail in (and yeah, add the red strip around his neck). Sweet!

16. The picture’s nice, but the hovertext is excellent.

17. Haha! What a cute little felluh =3

18. Katrina says:

That, peeps, is a ‘vite vallaby’.

Pyetr Van Fnyrrd is a very nice name. While the first name sounds a bit Dutch, Fnyrrd is an inspired name that could be almost any ethnicity! Not Norwegian indeed…keep those Norway stories comin’!
    Hey-h- or any other Norwegian speaker–there is a word that means ‘comfy and cuddly’- ‘kuselige’ maybe? Is that how it is spelled? Could someone help me out, please?

19. Um, I’m not really sure what to do with my hands….

20. I don’t think it’s nice to make fun of people just because they are shaped like bowling pins. It’s a glandular problem, really.

And quit asking me where to rent shoes.

21. Lauren the Lurker says:

I like Meg’s commentary way more than Mike’s!

22. I love Meg’s new, extended comments. They’re really creative and hilarious. Does she work in advertising?

23. Oops! I see it was not Meg who posted the bowling pin. My apologies, and kudos NTMTOM!

24. Other Mike, you are crizzazy. I like it.

25. you know, some people are just down right rude. NTMTOM is a great new addition and a great sense of humor.

Didn’t you ever learn, if you don’t have anything nice to say – don’t say anything? Well, you should learn it now.

26. AuntieMame says:

Amen, Ermine_Violin!

If you’re just going to unlurk to sling an insult, don’t bother!

27. LOL @ Berthalackey

I actually snorted and I don’t do that often (no matter what my friends say).

28. Kallisto says:

I like the new comments as well. If you don’t like to read much, then just look at the pictures. I find it a bit disconcerting that people so often try to hurt others’ feelings. Ever think about how NTMTOM might feel?

29. chanpon says:

With his coloring, he kind of looks like a cute bunny with a really big a$$.

30. @Kallisto: Thank you for standing up for me, but in truth, I’m learning a lot from the critical comments and I’m very grateful for them. (For one thing, I can see I’ll need to spend more time researching regional surnames. Oops.) With each post, I’m zeroing in on a style that is A) an effective counterpoint to Meg’s funny style, but B) not so wordy or demanding that it overshadows teh qte.

31. Katrina: ‘koselig’ means cuddly or cosy, pronounced ‘KOO-seh-lee’, if memory serves :)

(It’s weird. Half my Norwegian vocab is cute words like this. What does that say about me?)

32. Kiragirl says:

motto:

I shall KEEK you.

33. Other Mike — I’d say, do some verbose, and do some terse. Just keep doin’ it.

34. Clare: Your memory has served you well. Always amuses me how that word gets around. :)

35. Katrina says:

Clare- tusen takk and it is a nice thing that half of your Norwegian words are like that.
    Perhaps people loved you and wanted to give you a warm and wonderful set of words to use?

My Dad wouldn’t teach my any Norwegian- he afraid of Joseph McCarthy calling him ‘unAmerican’. So, who can help whom decades later? You. Thanks again.

36. I thought she was going to say the miracle of science was the fact that it’s an albino kangaroo…hmmm

37. ashagato says:

hey mike: i’m digging the posts, but i liked what you said about finding a balance to not overshadow the Qte.
    i think this guy would have been funny with just your first sentence alone:
    “OSLO — Scientists at the Grubermann Institute for Hypnosis have announced that they have successfully hypnotized a subject into believing that he is a bowling pin.”
    you could have let the reader’s imagination do the rest…
    keep up the good work!

38. Katrina says:

Koselig, NTMike, koselig.

39. I’m afraid that I, too, could qualify as a stand-in for a bowling pin.

“Steel-belted radials”—LOL!!

40. DejaMew says:

I’m loving the posts by NTMTOM! What a great addition to CO! The longer posts take just a few seconds more to read, but the cute reward is high-quality stuff. Keep ‘em coming!

41. LOL @ NTMTOM and 3CatNight!

Wallaby looks like a bleary-eyed teenager after a hard night out!

42. TheIglets says:

I hope the new calendar has the comments! What a great way to start the day! We must have comments on our calendars!

43. Deirdre says:

Silly beast!

44. rubber duck says:

And what do you use for bowling ball? A sleeping koala, of course! :)