Aesop on an off-night

This is the story of the dog and the, oh, I dunno, how about a hedgehog?  Sure, why not?  Okay, so the dog, who was a prideful, covetous thing, was carrying his bone when he came across the crafty hedgehog. "My bone is so much bigger and juicier than yours," boasted the hedgehog. "Then I will take it from you," said the dog.

And so the dog chased away the hedgehog and took his bone. But that’s just what the wily hedgehog wanted him to do, for he knew that the dog’s bone was much bigger.  Quick as a wink, he grabbed the dog’s bone, but it was too heavy and he couldn’t lift it.

"You tricked me!" said the dog. "Just for that, I’m taking BOTH bones!"  But try as he might, the dog could not fit both bones into his mouth.  So he just took his original bone and went away.

Moral of the story:  Beats me.  I’ll be at the pub.

Somehow, I don't think you thought your cunning fable all the way through

Sometimes the magic happens, Letty F., and sometimes it don’t.

Comments

1. …and they lived bleeningly ever after.

*sigh* :-)

2. We love a good story!

3. Why did the theme of Clint Eastwood’s “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” pop in my brain the minute I saw this pic?

Maybe I’m just weird…

Good lookin’ pup, though. And fierce hedgie, too.

4. hon glad says:

What’s that scrubing brush doing with a bone?

5. Why I’m so impressed with NTMTOM’s posts: When I see stories like this the neurological circuitry required for complex story telling, nay, for putting together even the most simple sentence, freeze into a useless pile of goo.

All I’m able to say is awwww, or squeee, or look at da liddle babeh.

So I applaud NTMTOM on his mental acuity (acute-ity?) in the face of the cute.

Nice work.

6. Yay, a bedtime story! I’ll just get my blankie ’cause I’m all sweepies…oh crap I’m at work. And my blankie doesn’t match my outfit. Darnit.

7. spoiler says:

Pic=not so cute
    Story=cute

8. Silly hedgehog, bones are for puppehs!

9. Michele says:

If this was my house, my dogs would bark at the hedgie, whine at me that they could not get their bone, then proceed to hide under my bed. I applaud this puppeh for sticking it out. I also applaud the hedgie for having the nads to take control of said bone! :)
    Oh and Honglad- I about did a spit take with that comment. Too funny.

10. claudia says:

aweeee this is totally cute. STANDOFF!

11. Har! NTMTOM, you should try Tolkien next.

12. The moral of the story is when faced by an opponent larger than yourself it is always wisest to out witt the enemy and make sure you leave with the item you really wanted.

13. Hedgie: I claim this bone in the name of all hedgehogs world wide
    Dog: HEYYYY! Thats my bone!

14. ThreeCatNight says:

Hedgie sings:

“I’m gonna wash that dog right outta my quills,
    I’m gonna wash that dog right outta my quills,
    I’m gonna wash that dog
    right outta my quills,
    And send him on his way!”

Puppeh sings:

“Stop! In the name of love!
    Before you touch my bone!
    Think it o-o-ver!”

15. catablob says:

Dread and fascination, NTMTOM, dread and fascination.

16. Hi,

Well, he can’t bite him, can he ? :-)

Have a nice week,

José

17. dawndol says:

OMG. This narrator woman is a freakin’goddess. Dogess? Madam Narrator, you have knocked the socks right off my feet yet again. The hoopy frood, Aesop, the Lumbago car… you are a genius.

18. next pic.-dog looking up toward owner with sad eyes,
    Mooom tell him to give it back, Mooooom!!

19. Dawndol — Other Mike isn’t a woman. (well, as far as I know)

…but yeah, I think he’s doing a bang-up job too. Thanks for the feedback!

20. The lighting/shadows on this pic are a little creepy…

21. LOVE the pink tongue.

Who are all these people with hedgies in the house?

22. i’ve been sending pics of petey the jack russell in for ages and they don’t get posted.. i add one little hedgehog and voila…

23. I LOVE the dog’s folded-over ears. I’ll bet they’re really soft . . .

24. eikoleigh says:

lol…funny story…moral of the story? We don’t need no stinkin’ morals….

25. You see Letty a little hedgehog love goes a long way that nad a bone bigger than the hedgie.; )

26. Theo’s back!!!!

(And nice post, NTMTOM)!

27. ashagato says:

hi theo! we missed you :)

28. Rachel Sweeden says:

I love a cute story.

29. And that story is priceless.
    I love that the hedgie has a bone…poor outsmarted doggie.

30. Pure Genius!

31. LOL.

32. the moral is be happy with what you’ve got. :-)