[Whispering] The Earless Hamster—so vulnerable in the wild!

[Voiceover of Sir Famous English Guy] "A rare Golden Earless—so unusual in these parts of South East Asia. Only handfuls of them survive in the wild. Shhh, shhh, he may detect our movements!"

[Earless hamster] "I can’t heeeeeeeeeear you! I have no earrrrrrrrrrrrrrs!" [motions to own head in singsong voice]

My ☁ Little Cloud ☁, originally uploaded by pyza*.

Sender-Innerette Lee, great call, Pyza always delivers ;)

Comments

1. Poohbear says:

Chmuurrrrkaaaaaaaa!!!!!
    But I don’t get the hovertext. I’m thick today. :(

2. Poohbear says:

Oh, no, it’s Little Cloud, not Chmurk. Just as cute.

3. Clearly someone at CO got to him already and nibbled his earses off…

4. hon glad says:

Some b**tard has nicked my ear trumpet.

5. Poohbear says:

Nnggggg. Am forgetting my CO trivia, should have known – Chmurka means Little Cloud in Polish, so – Chmurkaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

6. Marianne says:

Chmurka survived a tumor but lost her ears. She’s still so darling! (Chmurka means “little cloud”)

7. But… what does it mean, A-Baking-Powder?

8. I thought this was a bunny.

9. heather says:

Oh, I call dibs on nibbling!

10. Anonymously addicted to cute says:

With or without ears, what a cute little thing.

11. brinnann says:

I don’t get the hovertext either. :`( I feel….lost.

12. lemming

lemming

lemming of the b.d.a…

13. Khadija says:

they not so rare – as a matter of fact all fluffy rodents within 5 miles of my home have no ears as they have been munched clean off… by meh. :)

14. Lizzums says:

A-Baking-Powder means “Begging Pardon”. Sort of Qte-speak for those hard of hearing.

*puts on old school nerd hat and runs away*

15. SarahR, it’s a reference to Wayne’s World. Hand cupped to ear: “Ex-squeeze me? I baking powder?” Translation into English, “Excuse me; I beg your pardon?”

I am not proud that I know this:-)

16. Anne Boleyn says:

And I am sort of proud that I didn’t know this. Glad someone else asked about it before I had to.

17. Stephanie S. says:

I’m in love with Sir David Attenborough.

18. chanpon says:

So everyone’s outgrown your pre-teen riffs, but a handful of us. *puffs out chest proudly* Where are Wayne & Garth when you need them?

Without reading the header, I literally had to stare at this for a full minute before realizing what I was looking at. :/

19. jfield…don’t feel too bad, I knew too and I’ve only seen the movie once. I didn’t realize it had such an effect on me. UGH:(

Does the cut wittle hammy use know “paw language”?

20. Ooops, I really am tired this morning. Disregard the “use” in the last post.

21. how will the lemming wear glasses if he’s got no ears??!!

22. I think I finally know the meaning of BLEEN!! When I looked at this widdle sweetheart, that’s the only word that went screaming through my head! That IS what “bleen” means, isn’t it? When you just can’t say “Awww, he’s so CUTE!!!” loud enough?

23. Awww, he looks like my dearly departed Gus! *sniffle*. Except Gus had ears.

24. Omg, you just made me want to jump up, run outside, get on the subway, stop at the video store, and watch all of Planet Earth (orig. BBC version thankyouverymuch) on my couch.

25. BeanSidhe says:

Are there any pictures of this baby that don’t look like art? Because every single one is absolutely perfect. This one would go great on our living room wall.
    Beautiful pictures, gorgeous little hamster. Genius.
    Now, if we had a picture of Hot Blonde Rescuer dressed in fireman’s pants whilst holding this ball of fluffy proshness…

26. Chmurka, the very first hammy super model. WORK IT GIRL!

27. No one has mentioned the anerable B.E.F. on this one!!!

28. AWWWWWWW!!!

::keeses Chmurka’s egghayd::

29. sunnymum says:

Never has a hamster inspired such love from me. Chmurka has such a sweet soul that shines from those pretty eyes. Really, could she BE any cuter? I don’t think so. And it’s so awesome to see how well loved she is and so well cared for. Le sigh.

30. Katrina says:

Could ‘A baking powder’ pertain to this little morsel’s biscuity goodness? As in a baking powder biscuit?
    I prefer to think so.
    Chmurka can hear, her outer ears fell off, I think.

31. heather says:

Oh! I had a little wee one named ,Gus too!

He was a cinnamon boy and I cried buckets when he passed away.

32. Oh poor baby! That makes me want to snuggle/snorgle him even more!

And Wayne and Garth? Ugh. I’m sorry, I’m part of the Bill and Ted generation.

33. omg! so sad!!1! how does poor chmurka keep her spectacles on, people?? how will she keep her hat from falling down over her eyes?? where will she keep her wee pencil when she is doing her accounting but needs a break to nibble a hunk o’ cheese??? huh?

{sob} the inhumanity of it all….

34. snorglepup says:

My daughter used to collect headbands with different animal ears on the.”Pretendears”!
    Little ham should add these to her wardrobe ensamble. Perhaps something in a fennic fox?

35. jessdub says:

SQWEE!! I was having the worst day and this little guy put the biggest smile on my face!

IN LOVE <3

36. Katrina says:

I understand that the military is working on prostheses for hamsters who have lost their outer ears.

Meanwhile, she can use adaptive devices- elastic tied to her reading glasses, for instance. I’m sure that this tiiiny fingers will be able to deal with her hat spontaneously lowering. I don’t feel sorry for her- she has an able-bodied person who will help her adapt. See the abilities, no the disabilities.
    I can say this- I gots the ‘disabled’ thing goin’ on over here.

37. Juniper Jupiter says:

**Raises hand**

I have a confession to make, peeps.

Um, see, he DID haff ears…but he was SOOOO kyoot, that I pikked him up, and I swear, was just gonna give him a soff kronsche, and I forgot that that hams are NOT kittehs, and accidentally just nommed’em right off. Clean.

I sowwy.

Commence ass-whooping on Juniper.

38. I’m just upset that you didn’t leave enough to share JJ – I call NOT FAIRS!!

Chmurka is perhaps, one of the cutest animals on the web, perhaps the universe? And her mama is so talented and caring. I wish someone took care of me that well. :D

39. @snorglepup
    Uh-oh! Someone’s gonna hafta PhotoShop some on!!! LOL!

Earless Ham’s all… “la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la… I can’t hear you! la-la-la-la-la!”

40. Need some cute?

Have no ear.

Cute Overload is ‘ere.

Viva Chmurka!

41. Theresa says:

Extra-beady!

42. scooterpants says:

pleeze tell me that he does indeed have ears they are just cleverly pulled back slick up against his little head so we can’t see um.

43. The hidden ears improve her “aspect ratio” (if I remember my “Engineer’s Guide to Cats”), making her more aerodynamic!

44. Hey-H, is there any other version of Planet Earth?

What did they do to it on its way over the Atlantic???

DID THEY BASTARDISE IT?!

45. Katie Kat says:

Aaaaaaaaaaand *faints* from cuteness.

46. scooterpants,

Sometimes when small animals have surgery, even with the very best vet care, there can be blood pressure problems that result in damaged outer ear tissue. I believe this hammie had a tumor removed and lost her outer ear folds; however, she can still hear and considering the death rate for complicated small mammal surgery, she is a tiny miracle.

47. awwwwwww, looks like little hammie is holding a flower.

48. minarho1 says:

The hamster’s name is Chmurka. She’s a syrian hamster. She lost her ears due to a common hamster side-effect to anesthesia when she had surgery.

The story is on youtube, made by her lovely owner

49. Daphne Moss says:

k, that’s adorable..But odd how hammy seemed to change color….
    She sure must be the most well loved hammy ever!

50. Clare- Well they probably ‘dumbed it down’ for those whose command of the English language is confined to “‘Paris’ and her amazing coterie of garbage-like antics”. I wouldn’t doubt it. Plus the film as to be edited differently for commercials. Isn’t that the most amazing set of films ever?

51. Awww… I just read that Chmurka passed away today. RIP and big hugs to Pyza…

52. Chmurka’s gone to the big farm? Aw man. Way to ruin a Monday.

Poor Pyza, she adored that fluffball.

53. Lindsay says:

Those EYES! It doesn’t look real!