Tired Tornado puppeh that got nommed

Sender-Inner Ann W. describes her experience tonight staying in the local firehouse while tornado sirens went off:

“We arrived safe and sound and this distraught mother, 12 month old girl, her husband, and their puppy arrived shortly after.  The husband went out to get the puppy’s food and his daughter’s formula (once the sirens died down a bit).  I kept watch over the puppy while this poor woman took care of her little girl.  THIS is that puppy.  He was SOOO tie-tie… Check out that adorable muzzlepowshe (yes, I nuzzled it), those glossy shiny eyes, and those nommable ears– which I nommed.  And yes, we’re safe for now.  The tornado warning has expired for now, but we’re still under a watch.”

Super_tie_tie

Take care, Ann W.!
(Photo by DJCandiDout on DeviantArt)

Comments

1. Lizzums says:

I live in the Deep South, and I’m SO tie-tie of tornadoes, too. I’m right there with ya, pup.

2. Kudos, Ann, on the presence of mind to nom the ears even in the midst of potential disaster.

3. wagthedogma says:

You’re an angel of mercy, Ann W! I’m sure that adorabuhl puppeh was a lot less scared with you there to comfort him. Please be careful out there in the tornado zone, everyone!

4. Rosie A. says:

AW! Such a sweet little pup.

Ann W, thank goodness there are people like you out there, who understand that animals have just as tough a time of it during disasters! More kudos for having the presence of mind and heart to comfort the little guy in that time of fear and confusion. You rock my world!

5. hon glad says:

So a tornado can have some advantages.

6. PheonixKarr says:

Aw puppy, We’re all tie-tie of tornadoes too – Bah. Hiding in basements and firehouses is no fun :(

This picture is just wrenching, so sad!

7. Awwww, he’s too sweet to have to worry about that awful old tornado. Ann, you are such a sweetheart to nuzzle and nom this little guy in his time of need!!

8. leah b. says:

get a carry-all puppeh bag and just put him/her in bag when the siren goes off again. But no matter what stay safe all of you and your cute baby McPuppersons.

9. AuntieMame says:

I can think of worse places to have to hide…especially if the hunky firefighters were there at the same time. :)

Anyway, glad the tornado threat has gone away and that everyone is okay. They’re still trying to clear up north of here in Windsor, Colorado after the tornado last week.

10. Marianne says:

I’m so glad the puppy could comfort people in the middle of a tornado. and vice versa! that puppy fur looks so lovely.

11. legotech says:

That is one serious puddle o’ pup!

12. Andréa says:

Oh, sweet little thing! I really hope that everyone’s okay!

13. When he was brought in, it looked like everyone had just woken up so may have already been super tie-tie. Did I stand there and nuzzle that little face with sirens going off? You better believe it!!

What’s even funnier is the look on my boyfriend’s face and his best friend- they MELTED when they saw the puppy. CLASSIC.

14. Jimbeaux says:

Must… Hug…. Puppy!

*makes ‘gimmie’ hands*!

15. that puppeh looks like falkor :) hehe

16. Furbabies says:

Bravo! Thanks for providing shelter to the animals too. I know that if I had to choose leaving my critters or staying, I would choose to stay. I know that doesn’t make sense to some, but they (the animals)are my responsibility and I choose to protect them as best as I can. After all what mother doesn’t protect her babies?

17. I hope EVERYONE is safe and well and taking care of their animal friends and loving them through all these disasters. And if there are no disasters where you are, then keep snorgling anyway! Great story and photo, Ann!

18. Heh – I love the nomming and nuzzling of the pup and NOT A WORD about the bebeh. I’m sure she was getting all the nomming and nuzzling she needed from Mom.

19. Ack! I totally forgot!

The baby girl was fine. She was crying when she and her family came in (because the siren was going off… and the siren is attached to the fire station so that didn’t help), but she settled down with her bottle and mom shortly thereafter. She was up and smiling- and waving to everyone in the fire house. It was a pretty good ending to a horrible evening.

20. Shannon says:

YAY for people taking care of the furred and feathered (and scaled) in times of emergency. I never understood leaving pets behind even when I was very young. My mom asked once “What are you going to do? Hold them in your lap the whole time?” Well, yeah, if that’s what it takes. The cats still had to stay behind when we evacuated for hurricanes. We never lost one but I do think a calico was traumatized by it. So again – YAY for taking the pup and special thanks to the firefighters (yummy) for letting them stay.

21. So cute!
    Glad everyone is safe!
    We had massive storms up here last night (MD) and I ended up sleeping on the closet floor next to my one dog who just pants and shakes the whole time. Anything for him. :o)

22. adorable pup…good work Ann!

23. chanpon says:

Poor baby-glad he’s ok. Sign me up for giving him some lovin’ and comfortin’ if he gets scared again.

24. R. Moore says:

Much love to Mr. Puppypants here and everyone in tornado prone areas. Keep your babies and you puppies safe and be like Anne; nom those ears.

25. Kris- I to have a pup who shakes and pants all during storms. I slept on the bathroom floor with her last night. I wish she would hide in the closet, then I wouldnt wake up with the tile print on my cheek!

Speaking of storms, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with a pup who is terribly afraid of storms? I dont like giving her the heavy meds because they make her so goofy and they actually make her potty on the floor. I have tried the herbal stuff the vet gave me and it doesnt do much. Right now I just let her pick her spot and stay close, but I just wondered if anyone else has anything that helps their dogs.

Glad everyone was okay down at the station house.

26. We live in DE. about an hour from the Maryland border.
    Last nite for the second time this month we were under Torn.watch. We don’t normally have them in DE. None occurred thankfully but T.storm lasted for quite awhile and was very noisy. Our kitty’s all headed for places under the sofa where I was sitting. My dog decided she was a lap size pooch and with a single jump landed all 55 lbs onto my lap. oomph!
    As far as she was concerned she was no bigger then a tea cup poodle and not only could she make her whole body fit on my lap, she wasn’t moving! So I knitted while she cuddle. Did both our hearts good. :)
    Normally she is ok with storms but last nite was pretty bad.
    We would take our pets with us to my in-laws house as they have a basement. Not everyone has that option so Bless Everyone who declared the firehouse a pet shelter as well as for people.

27. REF.Speaking of storms, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with a pup who is terribly afraid of storms? I dont like giving her the heavy meds-
    When a puppy our dog would get carsick which she has since outgrown.
    On our Vets advice we gave her medicine for people with
    car sickness problems.
    The only side effect was that it made her a bit sleepy which in turn lessened her anxiety.
    But!!
    Very Important-
    Check with your Vet first!! Breed and size of your pup is an important consideration.
    The Vet will also know of other factors that must be taken into consideration for the well-being and safety of your pet. Hugs to your pup and to you.:)

28. Aww! Poor sweet baby! I woulda nommed and nuzzled too!

29. Some vets recommend Ace, alot of my dog friends have recommended doggie Xanax, and recently one of my friends has sworn by the purest possilble Melatonin.
    Wheatley is 40 lbs and I can safely give him 2 25mg tablets of people Benedryl. Unfortunately, this does not work for him, but I know it works for a lot of people.
    There are ALSO body wraps – and some dogs feel better just by being wrapped in a t-shirt and then wrapped in an ace bandage around their body. The pressure makes them feel better – obviously, you are not wrapping it so tight that you are constricting anything… I do find that pushing BACK on him, but not hugging him so as to confirm his fears and coddle him, makes him a little better…
    Best of luck. Storm fears SUUUUUUUUCK! (says the extremely achy tired one…)

30. I live in Northern IL and we tend to get alot of storms on my side of town (15 miles away on the other side of town they get drizzle at best. The first weekend I lived in my new house the creek flooded and we had a thunder storm that lasted 2 days, Mom got a bit of rain…grr) Anywho I’ll try the wrapping and talk to the vet about the other stuff. Thanks everyone for your suggestions because I really really dont want to spend another night on my bathroom floor, my back and neck cant take it (news is predicting storms the rest of the weekend.)

31. brinnann says:

Ann W. – LOVE Cedric, the roaming gnome!!!!! Everyone clicky on her name to check out the pics of him!

32. Shannon-

My mom used to say that to me too when I was little! We had guinea pigs and tornado warnings were frequent one season and she kept saying “what are you gonna do? Hold them in your lap?!” YES!! Pets are family too! Would you leave Grandma out in the sun room? NO!

33. ashagato says:

i live in DC. holy god that storm was CRAAAZY yesterday!
    the poor kits were totally freaking out…

34. Awwww, poor widdle McPuppersons! Kudos to Ann W for the rescute.

(And take care, all ye who are in Tornado country!)

35. bookmonstercats says:

We don’t get hurricanes here. Occasionally there’s a disaster caused by excessive rain. I hope all you peeps in tornado country stay safe and well and thanks for looking after da cutes of whatever species.

36. NebraskaErin says:

You obviously live in my neck of the woods, Ann W! Enough with the tornados already!

One of my cats watched the weather obsessively Wednesday night. And then sometimes tried to catch the update ticker on the bottom of the screen.

Keep safe, fellow Midwesterners!

37. I live in Toronto – and we don’t have tornado sirens…or even tornados up here. But when I was in the 1st grade, I went to visit my friends in Akron, OH when a tornado decided to pass by. I was in charge of holding 1 of 2 kittens while we hunkered down in the basement.

I never went back to Akron.

38. I don’t normally post at all, but I can relate to the poor puppeh (very glad to hear that he’s ok).

I lived in Dallas for a number of years, and we got our fair share of what I would call “green storms” (when the clouds turn green, it’s time to flee!)

Right before I moved back to Boston (my home town) we were hit by an F-1. We were fine, but down the road, in DeSoto, lots of ppl lost their homes. I drove down to do what I could (blankets, water, first aid), and the first living thing that I saw was a little black Lab pup, not injured, but just shaking with fear and disorientation. I just scooped him up, gave him some water, when the owner (who had been looking frantically for him) saw me (and him, of course) and just broke down with joy. Her trailer had been destroyed, but she and her pup were relatively ok. And on that horrible day, in the midst of that devestation, that was all that mattered. She had her pup (and her windblown Bible, which she had found earlier), and that made it easier for her to go on.

It was frightening and awe-inspiring all at the same time. I don’t don’t how that pup survived in that trailer, but he did, and his owner couldn’t have been more grateful.

Resiliant little things, puppehs are!

39. Poor word choice…it sounds like the 12-month-old girl has a husband…

+ cute puppy.