Interspecies Snorg-a-thon over at ABCNews

ABCNews is reporting on "Animal Kingdom Odd Couples" today. Many more when you jump over there.

Here, a little macaque monkeh nestles its head on a pigeon on Neilingding Island, China.

Cni_macaque_070914_ssh

Next up, a dog feeds two tiger cubs at the Changchun Zoo in Changchun, China. The dog fedthe cubs when the mother of the cubs failed to feed the newborn tigersafter giving birth. D’oh!

Ap_dog_tiger_070716_ssh

A mouse rides on the back of a frog in floodwaters in the northern Indian city Lucknow. Entrepreneurial!

Rt_frog_mouse_070716_ssh

Joost S., it is an overload over there, you’re right. Jeeshe.

Comments

1. Snorglethons are my bleening favorite!

2. Oh wow… I think the dog thinks the tiger cubs are “really big tabby kittens”.

:D

3. Lookit the little monkeeee. Sigh.

4. Katrina says:

I jumped. I saw. I melted.

5. Angela-Eloise says:

The little macaque with the bird melts the heart. Poor little monkeh!

The orangutan with the baby tiger is cute too. So affectionate!

But the cat being carried by the dog? Hahahahaha! That is hilarious. That photo needs a caption. And that cat seriously disapproves!

6. Linda SF says:

WOW! What is with all the [big] felines rejecting their kittehs, and the canines steppin’ up to pick up the slack?!? Those poor cubs are going to have a honkin’ case of Ego-Dystonic Species Identity Disorder [DSM VI].

In the on-going cats-vs-dogs war, I fear the dogs are gaining an undue leverage.

What’s next–feline parenting classes taught by Boston Terriers!?!?! Geesh!

7. claudia says:

AHHH all of those pictures are aweshum(lol)

I almost melted in a puddle at this one:

8. I think the cat being carried by the police dog looks like a perp or at least a juvenile delinquent!!

My fave is the pigeon with monkey! Ah, that we could all put aside our differences!!!

9. dharlan1too says:

Wow. Had I known that I could have rejected my kids and a mastiff would have raised them I’d a been all about that. Couldn’t have done any worse than I did;)

10. fish eye no miko says:

The orangutan and the tiger always makes me kind of sad…
    Tiger cub: “My mommy doesn’t want me…”
    Orang: “I know, sweetie, I’ve been there… I’ll take care of you.”

11. Annie J says:

Aww, so cute! Looks like tiger cubs get rejected a lot O.O;;

12. That pic with the frog and mouse is like a children’s story asking to be written. :)

13. chanpon says:

As amusing as the other pictures are, can anything else top the love that monkey shows for his pigeon? I think not.

14. Shannon says:

That macaque pic is the epitome of innocence.

That’s right. I said epitome.

15. Carolina says:

Animals are caring entities. When one of my mother cats was run over…long story…my other 2 mother cats raised her kittens. (I used to breed Rag Dolls) Now I only have the love of my life Nik-Nik…it takes a lot of energy to breed and take care of many cats. I love Rag Dolls.

16. Is there anything sweeter than a happy mamma dog?

17. Meg, I can’t believe you didn’t post the pic of the kitteh being carried by the German Shepherd. That is some SERIOUS kitteh disapproval, right there! I understand tho…all the pics bring on the head tilt/awwwww combo!

18. Dogs and cats living together.

Yep, it’s an oft-used line here, but that doesn’t make it any less usable.

19. NutherDeb says:

Linda SF: Which axis would that belong to?

20. Too. many. babeh. tigers.

They get rejected by their mamas? I’ll take ‘em. Won’t nurse them…no no, bottles will do that. But I’ll still take one. Maybe a pair? I’m sure my apartment manager would love that…

Cute pics!

21. Margaret says:

We need to get those tiger moms on Jerry Springer. They’d be all “You don’t know me! You don’t KNOW ME! SHUT UP!”

22. Margaret says:

23. The top picture is my computer wallpaper. I think the backstory is that the monkey was orphaned and dying of grief, and the dove (?) stepped up and started nurturing it. It saved the monkey’s life and now they are inseparable.

Yet another example of how we little we know of the emotional and intellectual capabilities of animals. Please, folks, stand up for the animals however you can!

24. Freak. E. Cute.

25. And they called it Monkey Loooove!
    Just because we’re not the same.
    I guess they’ll never Knooowowo.
    That our love just can’t be tamed!

26. Totalee Puppy says:

Macaque and Pigeon–for you, Totalee Puppy tries to write a story-poem…

Gentle friend,
    your wings dust the clouds,
    till you return to me…
    and we rest… with traces of cloud
    to bind our hearts…
    we dream of sky and sea
    and tender branches…
    We dream of a world
    awakened, of cloud-threads
    reaching every heart.
    Gentle friend, our tiny frames know dreams so vast
    we cannot hold them in…
    Carry them to the waiting clouds…
    that they may rain on the earth.

27. Looks like froggy went a-courtin’. Go Miss Mousy!

28. Totalee Puppy, that is awesome!

The photos of the animals are truly awe-inspiring. I also think it’s noteworthy that in some cases our own species, which normally is pretty crappy about this sort of thing, is facilitating the adoption process. So, we not only recognize, but sometimes enable the cute. Think about it, won’t you?

29. Shannon says:

Totalee Puppy – I think it is in part due to the fact that I just watched the raccoon video but your poem too brought tears to my eyes. In a good way, tho!

*runs to ICHC for laffs*

30. laineyg6 says:

The pissed off kitty being carried by the police dog is hiLARious!! Then, I clicked the arrow and found the iguana surfing on the manta ray and nearly fell out of my chair. I think I died of all of the ridiculous cuteness. Manta rays are awesome!

31. Hon Glad says:

All the pictures totalee awwsome squeesome.

32. *melts* I’m feeling all warm and fuzzy inside now.

33. gooeyctr says:

Mass hysteria, debg!

34. Great poem, Totalee!!

35. Theresa says:
  36. Theresa says:

PS, did you see the tiger cub being snurfed by the leetle pink piglet? That was the WTF-est face I’ve ever seen!

37. These pictures are amazing! Looks like a Wheaten terrier nursing those tiger babies. Poor babies! Brave doggie!!!
    The poor macaque and the pigeon – what a face on that little monkey!!

38. Kaea NiMarion says:

Lovely! But you could have chosen some that are not ALREADY on CO…..especially the German Shepherd carrying the obviously unhappy cat – the best of the lot!

39. We have that first one already! Its still cute though.

40. Zanna, let’s hope it doesn’t turn out like the “Battle of Frogs and Mice” — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batrachomyomachia

41. Theresa says:

42. Monkey: “Sigh.
    I love this pigeon soooo much.”

43. Katrina says:

YaY! wmannis used Batrachomyomachia! It was just at the tip of my tongue. Yeah, sure, it was. We are an eclectic bunch, aren’t we?! I used an interrobang! I’ll stop now, there is just tooo much cute floating around me now. I’m going to have an English muffin and let it wear off a bit. Maybe glass of chocolate almond milk, too-thith is theriouth.

44. Katrina says:

macaquethoughts,macaquethoughtsmacaquethoughts

45. Catsquatch says:

So HOW FREEKING COOL IS THAT!!!!

The rest of the pics are awesome too!

The brilliant green of the iguana is simply beautiful.

46. The monkey makes me sad. Where is his mama?

47. Catrina says:

The baby tiger tails…are killing me! Awww

48. anomalous4 says:

Mama dog looks decidedly frazzled by the demands of motherhood. =8-O

49. Raemie L. says:

Loved the pictures.
    Lovely poem by Totalee Puppy. ^_^

50. Michael says:

That frog carrying the mouse is straight outta the Batrachomyomachia. Yeah, I said Batrachomyomachia.

51. brinnann says:

“@wWmannis, that is the best name ever for a literary work– except for the Hypnerotomachia Poliphilii. ;)

Theresa | May 27, 2008 at 07:14 AM”

Theresa, I realize you prob’ly won’t see this since it’s an older post, but I hafta comment anyway.

Right now I’m reading The Rule of Four (Caldwell & Thomason), which is about the Hypnerotomachia. I’d never heard of it before, but it’s fascinating. Even more so because it’s a real book and not just invented for the sake of the story. But I’ve not done any research yet to verify what the characters in TROF found.