Oh, just turn the knife would ya

More proof positive today that the Japanese continue to kick our tiny American asses in the Cuteness depahtment. Hello Kitty is now an official Tourism Ambassador of Japan.

Look at this guy in the middle. Victory is HIS, clearly.

Arthellokittyap

Thanks a LOT CNN. And Sender-Inner Kimberly S. Thanks.

Comments

1. Hope Mia doesn’t get her panties in a twist over this one…

2. ah hai! says:

Arri-GATO Miss H. Kitty!

3. R. Moore says:

Dang. I want to be that happy! :P

4. Hon Glad says:

I fail to see the charm in this anaemic confection.

5. even the guy in the middle needs to be scooped up and put into a little pocket!

6. LOL. I love how happy that guy looks.

7. caitlin says:

I… what?

but now I know where this emoticon comes from… ^_^

(ps. who’s Mia and what’s wrong with her panties?)

[PPS - you're probably no poorer for not knowing... - Ed.]

8. arikata says:

wow…only in japan…

9. Totalee Puppy says:

LOL @ AH HAI! Since i believe “Hello Kitty” originated in the Far East
    (like Korea?)–this doesn’t come as a surprise…If Miss Hello Kitty is unable to fulfill her duties, Winston is the
    Runner-Up. Slurp that soba
    soup, Winston Baby!

10. I hereby deny all knowledge of this post, and if I *did* know it existed, I would denounce and repudiate its message, because informal polls show it is damaging to my candidacy. Or possibly masculinity. Hard to call, y’know, given that I can’t have any idea what it is I’m talking about.

Ah well; ignorance is bleen.

11. Yep, the guy in the middle trumps the cuteness of Hello Kitty. It’s official.

12. I will now visit Japan.
    Repeatedly.

13. Desdemona says:

I wish to point out the oxymoron in Meg’s phrase, “tiny American asses.” Based on most current news reports, and my own rigorous scientific investigations in the mirror, there is no such thing.

14. chanpon says:

Hello Kitty is thoroughly Japanese. I never miss a visit to a Sanrio store whenever I visit Tokyo. Maybe I shouldn’t be announcing this in public.

15. ThreeCatNight says:

He’s in “Hello Kitty Heaven”, and will take this little treasure to bed with him every night. (much to the chagrin of his family)

16. Theresa says:

Desdemona, I have been informed that I have a “skinny white @$$.” Don’t know if that is the same thing.

17. Well clearly the Japanese are planing to take over the world, this is the first step. Very clever.

18. I think hello kitty is annoying. =/ and i find it rather strange that grown man is cheesing over her…..

19. Space Cowgirl says:

I dunno, caitlin, I think it’s more of a *_*.

20. the guy *does* seem happy, but the woman next to him is certainly as cute as the Hello Kitty she’s holding.

21. I don’t think Hello Kitty is cute. She is deformed and needs a mouth, poor thing!

22. LOL Very cute picture
    I remember when Hello Kitty first came to the US my daughters were toddlers
    and they loved her right from the start.. then we couldn’t find her anywhere for a while and then she came back just in time to decorate their dorm rooms. ; )

23. Angela-Eloise says:

Not for nuffing, but does anyone else think there is something just a wee bit creepy about a grown man getting that excited over Hello Kitty?

24. marsheeeee says:

Angela-Eloise: …Unless he’s the CEO of whatever company makes and markets Hello Kitty. I could definitely understand his glee if that’s the case.

25. Geez, why don’t we have a “Japanese handing our ‘tocks to us” category and call it a day?

26. In other news from Japan: a lost parrot in Tokyo tells a vet where it lives.

27. TheLoveOfIsis says:

Tiny American asses? Come on, Meg. Don’t you know we’re the most overweight country in the world? ;)

28. It was only a matter of time. And yes, Kar, that should definitely be a category: Japan handing us our ‘tocks.

29. In fact, we could have ‘Tocks Thursday.

30. Everyone knows the Hello Kitty lives in London! HELLO !!!! (Kitty?)

31. Oh my god! Crazy cat people are taking over the world!

Luckily I’m one too….but still!

32. LOL at The Parrot Story

what a useful thing to teach your parrot.

33. Michelle says:

Well that’s it then. I’ve kinda known we’re out of our league for a while. How on earth can we compete with this kind of genius?

34. riolinda says:

I am waiting for the day that Hello Kitty rules the world! Her Supreme cuteness! XD

35. I REFUSE to acknowledge this diplomatic development unless I see Badtz-Maru on the stage.

36. I was more of a Little Twin Stars (a cosmic little boy and girl) or My Melody (a bunny with a bunny-shaped hood) girl myself…but congrats to the cat!

37. Never had any desire to have Hello Kitty stuff… I think Happy Bunny is cuter!!! hahaha

Wonder if HK is supposed to be a Scottish Fold? Wiki is not very helpful in that category.

38. Brak_Silverbone says:

Years ago at a science-fiction convention I was attending, I saw the following written on a piece of paper and taped to a random wall: “Hello Kitty has no mouth and she must scream.”

39. laughing says:

That guy grinning like crazy *is* the CEO of the makers of Hello Kitty. That explains his extreme gleefulness!

40. Capt' Tightpants says:

His face is totally the embodiment of **SQUEE!!!**

It’s high-larious!

41. Qter tahn innywun els wihl evurr bii. Jus riilax an enjoi it.

42. Actually, according to CNN, the guy in the middle is Japan’s Minister of Tourism. He’s gleeful ’cause he can already see the cash flowing into the national treasury.

Brak_Silverbone: Totally stolen from the Animaniacs comic book. Although considering it’s an SF con, someone probably thought of it long before then. :)

And I don’t find Hello Kitty herself creepy. The mascot in the photo, with the human-proportioned body and hands… THAT I find creepy!

43. Brak, we must have been at the same con, or else it was a meme.

44. Brak_Silverbone says:

@Lurkertype: It could very well have been so! Great minds and all that… :) Thinking about it, I recall now that this was written on the “message board” (a whiteboard, if I recall right) in the lobby.

@Leaper: This was in the, uh, late 1990s, I think, if that helps any.

45. Jennie Mello says:

FYI Hello Kitty has a mouth in her videos. However, it is not cute but strange.

46. Jennie Mello says:

FYI Part Deux
    I know this thanks to my 3 year old daughter. Not because I watched it. Well, I watched it because she asked me to. Ok. Im done.

47. Aesthetica says:

please, will someone explain what’s going on with mia’s panties?

[Here: http://www.cafepress.com/puddinghockey.265059818 ...sort of self-explanatory, wouldn't you agree? - Ed.]

48. Totalee Puppy says:

LOL @ THEO for candidate’s
    statement!! Luvuble comments, everyone!

49. Pyro Ferret says:

hahah i was expecting someone to comment on the “tiny american asses” and i was not disappointed hehe thanks Desdemona. And i concur xD i was not so much into hello kitty, but i liked the little frog…Krope?? i dont rember and the evil black cat. I just thought they were cute. And we should make Happy Bunny our (U.S.A) official Tourism Ambassador. hehe its perfect. Happy Bunn6y is so friendly to everyone just like us. lol =D

50. smurbles says:

CG, you *totally* took me back. I loved Little Twin Stars and My Melody!!

51. Katrina says: