The ULTIMATE ‘Baroo’

This raptor has a LOT of questions.

Baroo? [shifty eyes]

Raptorbaroo

Melanie D., that is some SERIOUS baroo action.

Comments

1. *and* pantaloons? awesome!

2. This redonkulous display of baroo has just made my week! And ’tis a busy busy busy week.

Meg, I owe you my first born.

3. You’re being watched like…

like…

4. Totalee Puppy says:

Why do I feel like I’m being checked-out? Am I the DAILY PREY? This is a
    magnificent bird, but how big is he? As a small dog,I weigh about 18 pounds…I feel as though
    birdie is figuring out my
    Nutritional Content…

5. Bleen!!!! Smiling and looking at the world from a different angle! Sometimes it makes so much more sense upside down….

6. LOL snot came outta my nose when I saw this XD toooo cute!

7. paradigm…shift!

8. Martha in Washington says:

OH MY GOD!!!
    He is sooo beautiful!!!
    And he looks so sweet. I bet he’s a vegetarian. OK maybe not but OH MY GOD!!!

9. Ohdear. Laughing up a storm over this one. My chiropractor says that after several dozen more visits I may be almost that flexible, but … {shakes head}.

Meanwhile, the only sillier raptor pose I’ve ever seen is when the redtail hawks (mom, dad and fledgling) took a good serious wallow in the shallow pool we had out back a few years ago.

10. This lil guy is so cute!! He’d prolly tear my eyes out, but still…..so cute!! Baroo!!

11. LOL! Yeah I agree – his feather pants are tres flashy! Hee! Oh, I just love raptors. I really do.

12. I wish I could do that without turning myself into a statistic!

13. Catsquatch says:

Ok, now THAT is the absolute EPITOMY of BAROO!

14. i couldn’t resist adding to this:

see also

15. Hon Glad says:

The world makes more sense upside down.

16. YAY! for unusual animal cuteness!!!

17. RAPTORPANNNNTS!!!!

Bird-a-loons?

Baroopants?

18. R. Moore says:

He he he. Raptors are full of personality. I love ‘em.

19. Espilonarge says:

That bird could put the “ORLY” owl to shame. 0_o

20. @ Subhangi-
    Bird-a-loons…That’s my vote..it’s perfect!

“LOOK at the widdle fluffy PANTZZZZZ…”

21. Arachnophile says:

Well to help preserve the ultimate cutness of this picture I can tell you that this is a Male Kestrel, which is a kind of falcon. They are very small and gorgeous. Google some images, they are way more colorful than any other raptor (only the males though, which is as it should be) ;-p

They can also see the reflected ultra-violet light from Vole-pee… As an aside. lol ;)

22. @Subhangi: LOL!!! Personally, I like RAPTORPANTZ!!!

And thanks, Arachnophile! I know virtually nothing about raptors/big birds *hangs head*

23. Arachnophile says:

AWh, that’s okay Gail. You could fill a large library with everything I DON’T know about… doing my taxes, balancing a cheque book, remembering any date of, well, anything. :D

24. It’s trying to fool us into thinking it’s an owl!

“See? I can rotate my head 360 degree…agh! Ow! What do you mean I’m doing it in the wrong direction?!”:D

That is a most cute and rather curious youngster!

25. Suzy's Mom says:

I knew raptors were beautiful. I didn’t realize how cute they could be.

26. ButtaRumCake says:

I’m not really into birds (I had a bad experience a few weeks ago in a WalMart parking lot with a wild flock of Jonathan Livingstons *shudders @ the recollection* it was nothing short of a Hitchcock/Poe collaboration)…but this lil guy is haute couture with his feathery capris. Just in time for the spring, I’d say!

Oh…and *BAROOOOOOOOOOOO*

*mini-squee*

P.S. Thank you Arachnophile (*shudders @ the name* as I think of my severe phobia of creatures with more than 4-legs) for the information. Very interestingk!!

27. momof2kitties says:

@ButtaRumCake:

“haute couture with his feathery capris” LOLOL!!

Somewhere Christian Siriano is smiling.

He’s a fierce, fabulous, flawless falcon. (I know he’s not really a falcon, but kestrel just doesn’t go now, does it?)

28. Has nobody said “barWHOOO?”

29. ButtaRumCake says:

We concede those to YOU, Teho! *giggles*

30. Yes, my name is really Cricket says:

Aw! Yay! I love birds! MORE BIRDIES!!! BIRDIE NUM NUM!

31. I would LOVE to know what he’s looking at!

Very cool!

32. AuntieMame says:

He’s trying to peek up your dress. Naughty boy!

33. Hon Glad says:

Hawk couture.

34. I love him. A step beyond the “Xcuse me WTF r u doin” cat. ;)

35. Hon Glad says:

Hawk couture pantaloons.

36. oh, da pants.

37. ashagato says:

@kris “I would LOVE to know what he’s looking at!”

he’s looking at the camera, silly! :)

38. I saw this guy at ICanHazCheezburger except with a caption all over him. I couldn’t help but think how adorable he would be without the caption. <3

39. ThreeCatNight says:

He’s practicing Raptorous Yoga to get the kinks out of his neck. In through the beak, and out through the beak. Ahhh…

40. wow. baroomeister indeed.

someone answer his questions, pronto!

41. …puts all the other Baroos to shame!!

42. BAR-OOORLY?

43. @Ashagato – Well, if he’s looking at the camera, clearly he’s unfamiliar with what it is!!!
    Guess no one sent home a notice to tell him it was picture day that day.

44. ilikepie says:

Warning: science content!

He’s truned his head like that because he wants to see what’s above him. Most birds of prey have a very uneven distribution of photoreceptors in their eyes.

As a result, they see things below them with amazing clarity but have a bit more trouble seeing things that are above them.

They turn their heads upside-down to get a good look up.

45. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

EXTREME Baroo!!!!

46. Mary (the first) says:

No matter how I look I can’t think of this as “cute”, it’s surely beautiful instead. Or .. awesome. Or something. Gorgeous.

47. kestrien says:

momof2kitties:

He is a falcon – a kestrel is a type of falcon, like a merlin or a peregrine. And a falcon is a type of a raptor! Love these little guys.

48. Oh, Oh, Oh!!! That just MADE my day! ;)

49. Serious baroo is freaking serious. Seriously people. It’s serious business…

50. daria s. says:

Wow, I sent this picture in on Nov 30 yet someone else gets this noticed and credited. :( Meg even replied to my email:

That pic totally makes my day!
    Thanks,
    Meg

On Nov 30, 2007, at 4:09 PM, Daria S. wrote:

I felt this must be shared with the inventors of this term, since this is the epitome of “baroo”. I don’t know the image’s original source, but I hope that at the very least you can enjoy it, if not all of CO.

~Daria S.

Can’t help but feel disappointed.

51. “They can also see the reflected ultra-violet light from Vole-pee…”

Wow. If I could choose a super-power, that would be it. :P

52. Beautiful bird. If you are interested in Peregrine Falcons check out this website. These falcons are nesting in downtown Indianapolis and are just about ready for the hatching of their eggs. Good stuff.

53. So, *is* this bird of prey a Peregrine Falcon, then?

54. Theo, don’t think it’s a Peregrine. We have them in NYC, and they are more of a slate-grey color on top.

55. I don’t believe this is a Peregrine. They are more gray. I think this is a Kestrel or perhaps a Cooper’s Hawk.

56. Hey, we should ask BirdChick! You know, the Disapproving Rabbits lady who’s up here in the Twin Cities like me? I’m sure Cinnamon won’t be pleased, but that’s kind of normal…

57. Birdaloons!

58. “Hawk Couture.” -heh.

You can also check out one of Central Park’s most famous couples at http://www.palemale.com .

59. @kerrymc – that cracks me up! This is definitely the ultimate baroo. Ouch! (>.< )

60. awesome!

61. kestrien says:

No, this is definitely a male kestrel. Not a peregrine – peregrines have much darker coloring and very different faces. Trust me – I worked with kestrels on fist at the California Raptor Center – that’s where kestrien comes from!

62. Love the curious eyes and high-water feather britches!! :)

63. I can confirm this is a male Kestrel. I too worked at the California Raptor Center as a T.A. for a few years during college, and we worked with the Kestrel Colony there. Gorgeous creatures, with *very* sharp beaks and talons (having plenty of each sunk into my hands). This picture can be deceiving, it makes the bird appear that it might be larger, Kestrels are less than 12 inches long.

64. oorad?

(best i can do since i can’t type letters upside down…but i’m standing on my head so that counts, right?)

65. Ow. My neck hurts now.

66. cf. CuteOverloadGlossary:

Baroo?–

Dogspeak for “Whut the…?” Frequently accompanied by the Canine Tilt and/or wrinkled brow for enhanced effect.

Occasionally, animals which are not dogs have been known to have this cute-ism ascribed to them, but this is never appropriate. Dogs just have the face for it, plain & simple. Cats don’t. Fish don’t. Cockatiels?… please. Picture Jon Lovitz trying to pull off a line like “Fo shizzle, my nizzle” on Oprah. It ain’t right, dawg.

*shakes head in disappointment*

67. I’m with Espilonarge on this: that’s no Baroo, it’s an Extreme ORLY! :-)

68. Hey, I heard back from Sharon (BirdChick) who is of the opinion that it’s a European Kestrel. Some photos and info:

69. …and yes, I wasn’t going to say anything, but I definitely agree: “Baroo” is a sound dogs make. What you’re seeing here is a hardcore east-side raptor’s club remix of the Canine Head Tilt, boyee! Fo shestrel, ma nestrel.

;) :P

(if our 15-yr-old reads this, she’s probably going to vomit)

70. Watch out men, your head will fall off!

71. Kar, thanks for the link to our beloved Pale Male and Lola. Their descendants live all over the area, just like kids whose parents buy them a condo.
    DO you know, any babies this year?

72. I believe when it’s a bird the correct term is ORLY???!!

kuh-yute.

73. Stop. You had me at
    “be-speckled belly”

74. …Baroo?

75. It has a notched beak. It’s a falcon and probably a kestrel.

76. Raptaloons
    Hawkaloons

77. This is for certain an American Kestral, the most cute of all raptors, and very small!