Old-timey Dog Photo Slideshow

North by Northwestern is reporting that Slate’s old timey 1940’s photos of pups are the ORIGINAL Cute Overload.

Touché, People, toooo-chay.

Slatedog

Nice submish, The Dude. Oh, and Congratulations, you will not be fired from the Cute Overload Board this month as a result of your efforts.

Comments

1. I love the expression on his face. The tiny head and slicked back look…very handsome dude!

2. Hon Glad says:

A dog with cabriole legs.

3. Daphne Moss says:

Cute overload extends to fashion this time. I love those shoes.

4. Daphne Moss says:

Extra point for tiny tail point…

5. Looney Tunes anyone
    “Hey whadda we gonna do today Spike whadda we gonna do?”

“AAH shuddup!”

“Looks like a gi-raffe, a gi-raffe….”

6. Yes the pup is cute, but AHHH those shoes! I want.

7. Wow… I thought this looked familiar, then I realized that I had recently seen a very similar picture on another site (deviantART)! Click my name to see the pic.

8. Woo-hoo, CO gets more Props!!!

B&W pics do lend themselves to imagining the stories behind the pics, don’t they? (Hint, hint to the creative writer friends here!)

9. O_o

TIIIINY critter, that one.

10. ooohh!! i love this photo. i have it on a postcard. in fact i have a box of 50 doggy postcards with pics taken by elliott erwitt and a book of his doggy photos signed by the man himself – he is my dog hero.

11. ErwittFan says:

Hooray for Elliott Erwitt, a great photographer.

12. Yikes- not feeling numbers 8 or 12.

13. Cool! I love vintage photography.

The lady’s shoes are fun, but they look painfully tight. I saw at least one other in the slide show in which a woman’s feet are squishing out over the tops of the shoes. Owee.

14. I OBJECT TO THE LACK OF BEBEH ELEPHANTS ON CO LATELY!

15. AHA! I see that even in ’46 chihuahuas ruled my city in the cute department! sweet!

16. @Peep:
    “She’s da dawtah of Rosie O’Grady
    A regular old fashioned goil!”

17. wedges? in the 1940s?

18. Anne Boleyn says:

Too tight or not, I want those fabulous shoes and, yes, you young people, almost all clothes and shoes were better then, and those of us with AAAA feet could actually buy shoes that were narrow enough, at almost any store.

19. Snappy music of Tommy Dorsey follows these perky shoes as they quick step to Macy’s where Mr. Sloan the doorman ushers in the shoppers. Afterward, our peppy chihuahua friend and his lady head home in time for a sherry, tv dinners in her new Amana oven and an episode of Toast of the Town.

20. This picture is hanging in my hair salon, so I’ve been coveting those shoes for a while now. And the cute pup, of course.

21. RevWaldo says:

Historical footnote – I read that this chihuahua photo was one of the inspirations for Ren of “Ren & Stimpy” fame. (Ren gets a sweater at the end “Big House Blues”, the first R&S cartoon!)

22. I’m particularly intrigued by the page title in the URL for the Slate page. (/sonbtch)

[Dude, that is AWESOME. Good eye, Daruma! - Ed.]

23. ThreeCatNight says:

Mugsy the Chihuahua, at your soivice!
    (Yes, indeed “wedges in the ’40’s”! My Mom had a vintage pair I remember as a little girl back in the ’60’s that she wore: green snakeskin with an anklewrap strap, and her foot was the same size I wear now – a 5 1/2 B. There’s some old family pics with her wearing them. Too bad they’ve been lost to the ages.)

24. Chihuahua should know that the mini sweater does not make him look butch.

25. Hear hear, Chanpon

26. Gray Lensman says:

Elliott Erwitt is incomparable. HIs eye and his sense of humor make any of his books worth buying, not just his dogs-being-dogs books.

27. Too Late says:

Hmmm… me thingks d lady’s shooz are too tite…

28. looks like a blind date i once had,same sweater too.lol

29. Courtney says:

Those pictures were really neat. I loved the last one, it’s right in Harvard Square! I recognize the Cardullo’s — that store is still there. :)

30. Mary (the first) says:

As adorable as this and the other pix are I have been distracted by the discussion on shoes and the tiny feet of some of the c.o. peeps. AAAA width? size 5 1/2 ?? good grief! I wear 11 extra wide fer cryin’ out loud. No wonder I do not have nor covet wedgie shoes. Yikes.

31. LOL Pyrit, I can almost here the voice of Ed Herlihy or H.V. Kaltenborn!

My feet are 11 1/2…heh.

P.S. People dressed up their wahwahs in the old days. Interesting.

32. @Pyrit: LOL!! You KEEL me regularly!!

@berthaslave: Wasn’t Talk of the Town hosted by Ed Sullivan? (A little before my time–TotT, I mean, not Ed!!!)

33. Puppeh: I AHM GOIN’ TEW *clap* PUHMP JOO UP!

34. Trivia points for Gail! Yes, the original name of the “Ed Sullivan Show.”

Technically, however, I was not referring to Sullivan’s voice…I was imagining that Pyrit was writing the narration for a 40s-50s newsreel narrator. Hence the reference to Ed Herlihy and H.V. Kaltenborn. I also could have said Walter Winchell, I suppose, but I’ve never been as much of a fan of him. Kaltenborn was the bomb as far as news voices go, and Herlihy was a delight.

(No, I am not 93 years old. I’m just a nostalgia dork).

35. The shoes! The shoes! Oh yeah, the dog is cute too. :)

36. I just wanna say that, as a photographer and animal lover I loved this post BUT that’s not my favorite thing about it…I love the phrase “old-timey” I really thought I was the only person on the planet that said it, now I feel relieved and sort of not as cool.

37. anomalous4 says:

¡Ay, chihuahua!

Yes, wedgies – and ankle straps – are originally from the 40s, and they’re one of the few clothing items that’s come back virtually unchanged. You could wear this pair on any modern street and no one would think anything of it!

38. anomalous4 says:

Yeah, right, I can spell……… chihuahua!

39. Oooh, I like those shoes.

40. michelleology says:

Cute Shoes!

41. Could his legs be any further apart?!

42. curlygirl says:

I’ve had that postcard on my desk for the last 3 years and I still laugh every time I see it.