Buddhihuahua!

ONLY IN JAPAN, People. [shaking head]

Conan the Chihuahua mimicks his Buddhist bros. Nice work, Conan.

Gd6687381conanltwoyearo8759

Photograph: Toru Yamanaka/AFP, Sender Inner Erica H. (and about a billion other Sender-Inners, thank you)

Comments

1. wonderland says:

this is adorable! the dog look really focus!! :D

2. I was raised Buddhist and I think it’s cute.

I can’t wait what the CO Morality Police have to say about this scandalous picture!

3. So a Buddhist chihuahua walks into a sandwich shop… the guy behind the counter says “What would you like, sir? Tomato? Lettuce? Celery?” Replies the chihuahua: “Make me one with everything!”

So the sandwich-maker does, and the doggy hands over with his adorable paws a $20 bill. He waits and waits and waits, and eventually barks: “Excuse me, where’s my change?” The sandwich-maker replies: “Change comes from within!” ;-)

Thanks folks, here all week…

4. HAW!!

Haven’t you guys ever hear of the Ninth Auspicious Symbol: The Monk’s Chihuahua?

5. Ha! That joke was so terrible it was good! I will be telling that one soon.

6. bookmonstercats says:

So who says animals don’t have souls (actually, I do realise that he is just following his master’s “lead” (hee hee)but it’s a nice thought that Buddhist heaven can have dogs too).

7. Those are Shinto, not Buddhist.

8. A true CHI-huahua. *hee*

9. Ester, nope that’s Buddhist… Shinto don’t shave their heads and usually wear white & or red, and not black. (In Japan the Buddhist clergy wears black or grey “so as not to offend the Emperor of China.” )

And since several types of Buddhism are practiced in Japan, I’m not going to try to guess which sort.

And while this sweet Pup-Sensei might not understand Buddhism or religion in quite the same way as his human Brothers.. He’d certainly get me out to the temple more regularly.

My ferret, before he passed away, would regularly sit with (on) me and “help” me in my sessions at home.

10. I saw this the other day and thought how cute. Glad to see it made its way onto the board. His harness/collar looks like a wee little belt.

11. dan ewing says:

Is the dog imitating the monk, or is the dog mocking the monk?

12. Janice the "8 is WAY Enough!" Cat Lady says:

Dogs don’t mock. Cats mock. All the time. :sigh::

Very cute pic!

13. I tried too sending this in its just adorable. I am also glad it made up here. I just a priceless pic.
    As for the joke I have no comment.

14. I tried too sending this in its just adorable. I am also glad it made up here. I just think its a
    priceless pic.
    As for the joke I have no comment.

15. What an intent look on that dog’s face!

16. How awesome is that? XD

As for the joke by “no wai” – tooooo cheeesy. Lol.

17. Chihuahuas have HAIR!?!?!

0_o

18. Nice Hover text Teho. ROFLMAO

19. Michelle says:

Dogs are cool.

*said with best imitation of a 13-yr-old boy voice/nod*

20. nepenthes59 says:

You can find a small video clip of Conan the dog & his sensei at Shuri Kannon-do Temple in Naha City.

21. woofysma says:

I’ve heard that joke before and think it’s hillarious – thanks for reminding me. Whatever the religion, it’s an adorable picture. I want to snorgle that soft little puppeh belleh.

22. That puppy is just too adorable! I checked out nepenthes59’s link and Conan’s fur and and coloring actually match his sensei’s robes! It is beyond cute!

23. I love how his back feet are turned inward. He may be thinking: “Must… focus… to maintain… balance”.

24. berthaslave says:

One point: I don’t think Buddhists pray for things. They try to find a state of mind where they want for nothing.

One question: if they were doing yoga, would the dog be offended by the name of the position known as down dog?

One joke: Ironically, the dog was a Jewish cow in a previous life.

25. I read that the Monk wants to teach the dog how to medatate, like your gonna get the dog to go ommmhh
    but he just wants him to sit still during his medetation time.

26. Ah. The universe hears a little dog’s prayers too.

27. Paunchie says:

I did send this awesome poochie picture to all my friends, nice to see it here.

And — they DO have matching outfits! hee

28. Paunchie says:

But why the little belt?

29. i’d seen this picture before, too. can’t figure out where, though. i believe it was on yahoo slideshows or something. i like how there is someone in the background with a goon-like grin on their face just guffawing at the pint-sized dog. loooove it. that “belt” on the chihuahua was probably a normal sized collar that they couldn’t get to stay on his/her neck so they put it around its’ midsection.

30. Paunchie says:

wow, really? he must be teeny tiny! yes, it was on yahoo.com

31. Paunchie says:

“goon sized grin”
    LOL

32. SaintStryfe says:

Are you sure this is isn’t a Tibetian Terrier? My new puppy Jedi is a Tibetian Terrier mix and he looks just like this boy.

33. Paunchie:

I think that “belt” is the bottom of a little pup harness!

34. must concentrate… the sound of one paw clapping…

35. Awwwww!

36. Hon Glad says:

Reminds me of the dyslexic who worshipped dog.

37. acelightning says:

Proof that a dog does, indeed, have Buddha-nature. (Points to anyone who gets that…)

38. Hovertext killed me.

39. Amazing & beautiful.

40. TurboFloof says:

Hovertext = HIGH-larious!!!

41. i’m still laughin at the word “Buddhihuahua!”

42. Bearfoot says:

I am reminded of the old koan “Does a dog have a Bhudda nature?”

apparnetly this one does.. :D

43. ShinyHappyGoth says:

acelightning and Bearfoot – You beat me to it!

44. rad_cuteologist says:

animals nowadays! praying, painting self portraits – what’s next? soon they’ll be taking our jobs!!

45. Just sayin'. says:

Taking our jobs?? Are you kidding? My cat is over 17 now and I keep saying “you’re old enough to get a job now!” but she absolutely will NOT! I’d be happy if she got a job.. anyone’s job! but noooo.. lounge around and eat. Typical teenager.

46. Totalee Puppy says:

There is CO Morality Police? Seems like everwhere ol T.Puppy goes,
    someones watchin…I was hoping this little Tibetan
    Terrier (I believe, baby…)
    would be praying for all us dogs who aint got nowheres for PRIVACY…Any kinda enlightenment* would be great, too (*copied from all
    you commentistas…)Anyways,
    to balance the sanctimonios
    of this moment, I’m sending
    Tibetan Terrier a cry from
    the canine soul…
    “Bad Boys, Bad Boys, watchin where you poo, watching where you poo before they call about you…”