Must… get… fatter!

The UK Daily Mail is reporting that this anerable dormouse had to fatten up before going into hibernation mode [zzzzzzz] So rescue workers worked feverishly to stuff him full of delectabuhl ivy pollen and blackberries.

Dormousera_800x584

For some reason he also lives in a coconut apartment. "Dozey" is now sleeping peacefully and will wake up refreshed in April. I bet he’ll have the tiniest of beards then.

Dormouse1ra_800x512

Thanks, Manoj E.G. [Closing up coconut door for lights out]

Comments

1. coconut HOOOOOOUUUUSSSSEEE!

also, cute feets.

2. Isn’t there some song about a coconut grove I hear it sort of in my head but it won’t come out.

3. Look he comes equiped with his own adorable handle too

4. I wanna mouse in a coconut house!

And I wanna nibble on the feets and beep the nosey.

5. I lurve the coconut house the most!

6. Coconut apartment? What is the world coming to?

Clearly, they should have put him in a teapot.

7. Wouldn’t the coconut rot and develop bateria and other organic matter that could harm him?

8. Coconut apartment = instant death by Qte

Goodbye, cute world!

(Annie, “American Dream” by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band? http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/nitty-gritty-dirt-band/american-dream-10162.html)

9. SixFootJen says:

I want a coconut house! And a dormouse! And, frankly, I wouldn’t mind going to sleep until April.

10. If he ate the coconut of his house, he’d be fat in no time.

11. CheshireCat says:

Dormouse singing in squeaky voice: Twinkle, twinkle leetle bat, how I wonder what you’re at, up above the world so high, like a teatray in teh sky. Twinkle, twinkle….

12. Fat dormouse + coconut house = SQUEEEEEEE!!!!

13. that first picture keels me. excessive squishulence!

mousie’s like “put dee lime in dee coconut…”

14. This is entirely too much for me to take. I think I blacked out from the cuteness.

15. lurkingsmirk says:

Curious–apparently he is hibernating in a cold room at the sanctuary. The coconut house was just for fun.

16. Desdemona says:

Louis Carroll meets raggae! Twinkle twinkle little nut, I put dee lime in and drank it all up!

17. Curled toesies! Tailio! Total BEF too. What a cute lil chubster. Love the coconut condo.

Unlike our lil friend here, i have no problem gaining weight and sleeping long hours in winter. *sigh*

18. why dont I have a coconut apartment????

19. Oh fer cryin’ out loud. This takes redonkulousness to a whole new level. I mean, the cow pic was great, but this? I think I just had an aneurysm of Qteness.

20. If I get a coconut and leave it out overnight, in the morning will there be a dormouse in the coco-house?

Coconut Grove, by the Beach Boys. Hmmmm, if I leave out a coconut will a beach-boy show up in it? ; )

21. It’s a mouse-colada, just needs a straw, yum.

22. charliewabba says:

second picture, he’s all “scuse me could you please hand me my tailio?”

23. Put the mouse in da coconut and drink it all up, put da mouse in the coconut…..call me in the morning.

24. Wouldn’t it be delightful to live on a diet of ivy pollen and blackberries? A fairy diet! LOL

25. CoffeeCup says:

The whiskers! The curled up ball! The COCONUT HOUSE! Do you think he has trouble hanging up art, with round walls and all?

26. fish eye no miko says:

dargie said: “Wouldn’t it be delightful to live on a diet of ivy pollen and blackberries? A fairy diet!”

Yeah, that totally sounds like something in a fairy tale… “Alice watched as the fairy nibbles on the blackberries, then sipped a little of the ivy pollen from her tiny cup.”

27. CoffeeCup — he uses postage stamps!

28. “I can’t get the antlers on this dormouse”

“Did you try staples?

Bill Murray–Scrooged

I of course find the line funny, not the idea.

29. o. m. g. i totally love coconut and now i love coconut houses. it would smell soooooo goooood in thar. i could totally fit in there if he’d just smoosh up a little and then we could hibernate together.

30. Oh, dear lord, the QTE curled up piddies!!!!

31. “For some reason?” Who wouldn’t live in a coconut apartment if they could fit?

32. a different Laura says:

This reminds me of the mouse houses made from used wimbledon tennis balls that were on this site a while ago. Teho, can you post the link?

33. OMG!!! The feet! Oh the little feet! I feel faint. Must lay down before my head splodes from the qte!

34. ButtaRumCake says:

squee

*clears throat*

I have no more in me…between the cow-nappingks and the dormousiecoconuttysmooshfest I’m done. just. done.

35. Mary (the first) says:

I cannot stand coconut but the mousie is deliciously cute. (And, I now know why I am getting fatter every day and want to sleep.. I am a dormouse trapped in a human body! Or .. maybe a bear.. probably closer to the right size.)

36. Haha, cute! I love the BEF and feetsies :P I’m also diggin’ the coconut house – I should try that sometime! XD

37. I’m lovin’ the widdle mousie, his anerable coco-nuthouse, and best of all the earworms. But CCat, you forgot to add the hiccups in between the doormouse’s stanzas. I can hear him very clearly in my mind, singing his little song.

38. ButtaRumCake says:

*squee*

still done……

*sigh*

39. i actually gasped! when i first saw the feet…and btw there is a button on the dormouse site to donate teapots to this organization, complete w postage stamp portraits of Notable Things.

40. “REeeeee-membeeeeeeerrrrrrr
    What the Dormouse saaaiid!”

41. I LOVE IT! ….I also wish I could find a coconut that had that much actual coconut inside!

42. circuscake says:

i wish i could stuff myself with yummies then sleep all through this icky winter.

i can’t take it anymore! move over dormouse, i’m comin’ in…

43. *poke. poke. poke poke. pokepokepokepoke POP*
    AArrrgh!!
    *runs away*

44. EXTREMELY CUTE!

45. SixFootJen, I’m with you!

46. That’s it. I give up on this site. It’s not good for my health to continuously faint due to light-headed spells caused by incessant squealingks of qteness.

NO MORE, I SAY! ;)

47. angh! gurp buh. curled toes. nneyh!

48. Awww! (Now all I can think of is the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party.)

49. Must get fatter? I wish I had that problem! Too bad I can’t go to bed and wake up skinny next April. LOL!

50. I want those little toezies to grab my finger

51. so there really is such thing as a “door mouse”? i always thought it was something the put in children’s stories…i imagined it with a little uniform, you know, like a doorman. that was probably…just…me…huh?

*slinks away sheepishly*

52. OMG FATTY DOORMOUSE LIVIN IN A COCONUT

…..DOWN BY THE RIVER

ahhh!!!!!

53. Anerable dormouse noms cocohouse an gets fatter. Gets happeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

54. Pheas, Thank you that was it I fixed the link below if anyone else wanted to go see the lyrics

55. A-NE-RA-BLE

I want a house like that! *nods fervently*

56. I guess this time little lambs eat oats and Dozey eats ivy?

Coconut would be a perfect house if I were a lil mouse.

57. Ms. McPantiesInABunchnuff says:

I NEED ADORABLE DORMOUSE!!!

58. Coconut apartment? He must smell delectable after hibernation too…mmmmm….
    coconut milk.

59. that is so adorable awhhhhh

60. Momof2kitties says:

All right, which one of you lunkheads took a picture of my brother-in-law after Thanksgiving dinner? I swear that’s EXACTLY what he looks like, minus the anerable-ness of this wee one.

PS George is home where he belongs, safe and sound and watching me on the CO. ♥♥♥

61. To quote HAMlet (yes, I know, it’s a mouse) “I could be bounded in a [coco]nut shell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.”

62. Any dormouse belongs at a tea party – the madder, the better – where it will be sure to fatten up on bread and butter sandwiches and treacle before finding its ideal hibernation spot in a teapot.

63. The best part is that when he comes out of his coconut hibernation house, and you snorgle and soft cronshe him, he will smell and taste like coconuts! HEAVEN!!!

64. Most animals that hibernate don’t stay completely asleep the whole stretch of winter. They wake up now and then for brief periods. Maybe he snacks on the coconut when he wakes up from time to time? I must say I was suprised to see the meat still inside the coconut too. He’s cute, but I was kinda “Ewww! Mouse hairs in the coconut!” Then I was like “Ewww! Coconut milk on the mousy”.

65. @momof2kitties–glad to hear George is home after his, ahem, procedure!

@anner–I didn’t know there was a “real” dormouse, either!! We get teh QTE and eddicated, all at the same time!!

66. Know what?
    Hamster Butt!:D

67. Wbirdie – LOL!

That is one soft and delectabuhl little mouse, probably excellent for nose-burying, right between the curled feetsies.

I think “Voila an American Dream” was written by Rodney Crowell, who does a great version of it too. I have an earworm issue here now.

68. CheshireCat says:

Brinnann: *hic* sorry! *hic*

69. AWWWW…..he looks so cozy in his coconut house.

70. you put the lime…errr…HAM….in the coconut and you drank them both up

71. Coconut apartment is for McSnackersons, you know, in case the tubulence is insufficient.

72. Damn, someone beat me to it. I found this the other day and was going to send it in. oh well.I’m glad someone did.

73. I actually, audibly squeed! Tewtelly prosh :D

74. Put da lime in da coconut
    And drink it all up
    Put da lime in da coconut
    And call me in da mooorning…
    now I’m gonna sing that all day.
    BTW a dormouse (squeeee) is called that because it *dorms* (as in sleep, cf. dormitory). As I child, I thought they called it that because it hid behind doors to hibernate ! (in teapots) (or coconuts)

75. berthaslave says:

Kate — luv the Shakespeare!

And Meg/Teho — LOVE teh second rollover text.
    [Mine, this time! Looks like *everyone* thought of the lime gag, tho... - Ed.]

My question:

Why doesn’t the mouse just eat the coconut to get fat? Then he’d have more room in the shell.

76. Wait, so I just downed that bag of chips because of an instinctual need to gorge myself for winter?

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Now if only I could fit into that adorable mouse-house.

Reminds me of that story, James traveling in his giant peace with his friends.

77. I adore dormice (see what I did there?) but the photos don’t convey exactly how tiny they are.

There also very well protected in the UK…you actually need a ‘Dormouse Handler’s License’ to touch them. ‘Dormouse Wrangler’. Now there’s a job to aspire to!

78. I think Britain has just regained the Cute Trophy from the Japanese. Walks away singing ”Rule Britannia”

79. darkshines says:

`They were learning to draw,’ the Dormouse went on, yawning and rubbing its eyes, for it was getting very sleepy; `and they drew all manner of things–everything that begins with an M–’

`Why with an M?’ said Alice.

`Why not?’ said the March Hare.

Alice was silent.

The Dormouse had closed its eyes by this time, and was going off into a doze; but, on being pinched by the Hatter, it woke up again with a little shriek, and went on: `–that begins with an M, such as mouse-traps, and the moon, and memory, and muchness– you know you say things are “much of a muchness”–did you ever see such a thing as a drawing of a muchness?’

80. New computer background…sweet little mousie spends winter in white circle….

Can we see picture of dis baby in April? Pul-eeze?
    *Princess Di puppy eyes*

81. OMG SQUEEEEEEE!!!

I wish I could fatten up and sleep till April!

(Rude Teenaged Sis says: “Yer already fat!”)

82. HALP! Does anyone know what the dormouse is called in swedish?

83. bookmonstercats says:

lurkingsmirk, it’s England. EVERY room here is cold!! *Just joking*

I’m so glad you found this one, Meg. I tried to send it to you after I’d sqeeee’d myself half to death, but it couldn’t pick it up from the Daily Mail’s web-site.

84. ThreeCatNight says:

Cute little nosie and curly toesies, looking all warm and cozy! (alright, so I’m not Emily Dickinson)
    You’ve gotta love that deluxe cocoanut condo (complete with removable door); and the best part is — it’s rent-free! How lucky can a dormouse get?

85. “Hic! Nothin’ like a pina colada!”

86. Fat!

87. SQUUEEEEGEEE.. I just want to poke it’s bellah ever so gently!!

88. spacebunny says:

Mousies are cute…but finding one inside a coconut sounds kinda gross to me. Small animals inside food don’t mix well with me. Not one bit.

89. Shjimm, maybe you can find the Swedish name by looking up the Latin? Anyone in the family Gliridae.

90. Damn. Here I was thinking I’d never have to yell “HAMSTER IN A COCONUT!” again. Why does this keep happening?

91. Happenstance says:

Who sleeps in a coconut over the sea?
    DOZEY! DORMOUSE!

92. Dormouse in Swedish : sjusovare (apparently)…

93. But spacebunny…it’s HIS coconut!!

94. superboymom says:

If I poke his belly ever so gently . . . I think he will squeak! squeak . squeak . squeak . (help I cannot stop!) squeak . squeak

95. LOL the feet are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute AND THE COOUNTUT IS HIS HOME IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN DONT EAT COCUNETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

96. Everyone talking about hibernation reminds me of this plaque I found over Christmas break that I wanted to get.

*IN MY NEXT LIFE I WANT TO BE A BEAR*

“If you’re a bear, you get to hibernate. You do nothing but sleep for six months.

I could deal with that.

Before you hibernate, you’re supposed to eat yourself stupid.

I could deal with that, too.

If you’re a bear, you birth your children (who are the size of walnuts) while you’re sleeping and wake to partially grown, cute cuddly cubs.

I could definitely deal with that.

If you’re a mama bear, everyone knows you mean business. You swat anyone who bothers your cubs. If your cubs get out of line, you swat them too.

I could deal with that.

If you’re a bear, your mate EXPECTS you to wake up growling.
    He EXPECTS that you will have hairy legs and excess body fat.
    He KNOWS not to get between you and the food.

Yup….. Gonna be a bear.”

97. ::grabs microphone::

If you like pina coladas…

::points at dormousikins::

…and getting caught in the rain…

::whips mic cord around::

…If you’re not into yoga…

::grabs mic with both hands and “makes love” to it::

…if you have half-a-brain.

98. [cause, ya see, pina coladas have coconut flavoring, ya know.]

99. ahh yes. which cabinet is the raisin bran crunch?

Oh oh oh thats right I’m having coconut for breakfast today.

I’ll restock my fridge tomorrow. goodnite~

100. OHH MY GOSHHH. That first picture — so chubby! so fuzzy! whiskers! feets! LOVE!!!!!

101. AWWWWW! I LOVE MICES! I have a ham and she is fat too. AWWW! I LOVE HIS COCONUT HOUSE TOO!

102. anner, they’re called dormice because ‘dor’ (from ‘dormir’, ‘to sleep’)+ ‘mouse’

incidentally, for those of you thinking about nibbling and soft kronsches, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_dormouse

103. It’s a dormouse macaroon!

104. I’d love a license to handle dormice just so I could truthfully say that I have one. It would be an awesome conversation starter.

105. augh! da feetsies! i must have! (a dormouse, not a feetsie.)

106. Mind his tail when you close the dor…

=:~O