Rawhiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

And SPEAKINGS of Puffée-esque-itude…

Rawhiiiiiide

Kronschew.  (gesundheit)

Sender-inner Emma W., dis be teh sweet!

Comments

1. bleen!?!

Cutie pie! Must snorgle…

2. NomNomNom!
    Such a pretty fluffy puppeh!

3. “I’m ready for my close up, Mr. deMille.”

4. Um, cute picture. but this is one thing I dont get. how come, in the english speaking community, people always say “gesundheit”!? Im german, and well, it just means “bless you” XD I don’t get it hahaha…

5. My My what piece of rawhiiiiii little puppeh, have fun but don’t spoil your din-din.

6. Mary (the first) says:

Julia .. we say it when someone sneezes. (Some people just say Bless You in English.) Although I don’t know why German and not, for example, Spanish or something! ..if that’s what you mean. Meanwhile, back to the puppeh, he’s adorable. He can nomnom on my shins anytime!!

7. in response to julia, sometimes we (english speakers) borrow words from other languages (including german). in addition to gesundheit, we also say stuff like spiel (usually spelled differently though, but essentially the same) and kaput in every-day conversations. personally, i think it’s kinda fun to learn that some of the stuff we say actually comes from other languages :)

8. I think people say Gesundheit sometimes because it literally means “health” and they don’t like the religious connotations of “bless you.”

9. Kronschew. (gesundheit)? LOL…the captions never get old here. Love eeettt

10. Adorable!

Can I ask, what does “bleen” mean please! I somehow missed that expression!!

11. Sweet pupper-pie!

Actually, my brother-in-law and his wife use Spanish words after someone sneezes. There is a series of three of ‘em. One means health, I think, one means money, and I forget what the third one is.

12. ^ one of them should be “salud,” which means health

13. My sister's cat is a blob says:

Warning: my dog binged on rawhide one Christmas (ate her gifts and then got into other dogs’ gifts), and my poor sister had to deal with the consequences for days, and days, and days while we went on vacation. It’s all fun and games till someone gets diarrhea…

14. Doesn’t kaput actually come from Yiddish? Well, the word is apparently originally Provencal, but like so much American slang it went through Yiddish to English.

15. sister’s cat is a blob! you made me snort kool-aid out of my nose!!!

That reminds me of a cookout we had where a hot-dog rolled off the back of the grll and onto the ground and my BFF’s son declared “It’s all fun and games until someone loses a weenie”

This puppy looks like she is severely posing. What a sweetie she is!

16. *raises hand* I took German in high school (because of course, I didn’t wanna be all main stream and take Spanish) and of course we discussed the relationship between German and Yiddish. Yiddish is sort of a cross between German and Hebrew, used among Jewish people living in Western Europe in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Oh, and for the definition of bleen: http://www.squidgrid.com/cute/Glossary.htm

17. That was ever so slightly evil, Lizzy. Hehe.

18. Oh Em Gee! Teh Teho just spoke directly to me. *dies*

And yes, I am about 14% evil, according to recent lab testing.

19. Lizzy, I recently learned that some orthodox Jewish groups in Israel still speak Yiddish. They believe Hebrew should only be used for prayer.

20. dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

21. LOL, I am seriously hearing the thunderous roar of hoves and a whip cracking.

22. ShelleyTambo says:
  23. [snrkl]
    [bfftk]
    [a'hem]

Careful there, Annie; you don’t want to step in the cow manor.

24. ShellyT — I don’t think so, but you can’t be far off.

25. Reminds me of my Koko … I miss the crazy lil fur ball … But this lil guy cheers me up :)

26. As for “gesundheit”, as far as I know in my area/family, we say it when someone sneezes sometimes instead of saying “bless you” because my family (and a good part of people from my area) come from a background of what people call “Pennsylvania Dutch”, which were people of a german background usually making their living as farmers over here, and it of course means “Bless you”. The reason people say bless you when you sneeze is a carry-over of an old superstition that people believed something like their souls could escape when you sneezed and blessing you would prevent evil spirits from taking it. Apparently my husband was saying it might also be kind of medical related because when you sneezed your heart could briefly skip a beat and people thought you could die, so they were blessing you or something.

27. Acacia Onna Stik says:

That looks JUST like my puppydog Jack. Seriously. It’s uncanny.

Of course, he’s got teeth issues and is not so fond of the rawhide. But otherwise? This is my puppeh’s doppelganger. (And how’s that for German loaners?)

28. ka9q's wife says:

My dog loves rawhide but she bites off big pieces and swallows them whole. Not so cute later. We won’t even go into the kong she chewed up.

Her jaw muscles must be made of iron.

29. I see that this pup is borrowing Kim Kardashian’s poses.

30. aw, one seriously cute fuzzy pup there, with personality plus.

31. MoodleMommy says:

Like Acacia’s, my pup is a twin of this one! Mine is a toy poodle mix. To the best of my knowledge, the mix is either lhasa apso or maltese.

32. bookmonstercats says:

As far as I know, “bless you” was said to people who sneezed during plagues, which usually meant they’d caught it. “Gezungheit” is a nice word. It rolls off the tongue, as do a lot of non-English words.

33. bookmonstercats says:

…. erm…. “Gezundheit”….

34. Awwww, cute puppers!

While we’re on the topic of languages, did you know Mozart’s first name and two middle names mean the same thing in three different languages?! Amadeus Theophilus Gottleib Mozart. “Amadeus” means “loved by God” in Latin and Theophilus and Gottleib mean the same thing in Greek and German respectively!

35. that’s a cool fact!

36. @Subhangi
    AFAIK all 3 names mean “loves God”. BTW, it’s “Gottlieb”, not “Gottleib”. Gottleib would mean “God’s body” ;-)

37. BTW, those are all Mozart’s middle names. His first name was Wolfgang.

38. …which means “wolf gang”.
    ;)

39. luvinmalssomuch says:

Move ‘em on, head ‘em up
    Head ‘em up, move ‘em on
    Move ‘em on, head ‘em up
    Rawhide
    Count ‘em out, ride ‘em in,
    Ride ‘em in, count ‘em out,
    Count ‘em out, ride ‘em in
    Rawhide!!!!! RAWHIDE!!!!!

40. Hey guys! Thanks for so many responses! I am familiar with “kaputt”, since my boyfriend (he’s from England) says that alot. ^_^
    The thing bhutterfly said I read as well: that your heart skips a beat!
    Yiddish and German are really quite close. There are still a few words here and there we use every day that come from yiddish. Quite funny, mostly swear words actually.
    I am quite into languages: I study English/Latin at the moment. You can’t believe how much I love CO for it’s fantastic style of language. Seriuosly, new words every day! I should write a paper on that one day.
    Love, Julia

41. LinguaMorta says:

That’s a BIG piece of ‘hide. My dog would devour that in a few moments, but she’s a big springer. How long will it take a tiny pup to munch down that slab?

42. love this pup’s coy expression!

when i was little we had a corgi, taffy, who never ate her rawhide. she just chewed on it until it was good and soggy and disgusting. then she left it on the living room floor and left it to harden and collect lint until she was ready to get it all gross again. eeeeeew!

wait a minute…what DOES “Wolfgang” translate to? Ausgang and Angang are exit and on-ramp, literally something like out-go and on-go (i think). so what’s a wolf-go?

43. I love the kitty pic! My cat has a blog…. please see it.. he has a lot to say for a cat

44. I picute a cute Puffee like this chewing soft little squeekie toys, not a rawhide bigger’n him!

45. Meant to say, “I picture a cute Puffee”!! Maybe I invented a new word??

46. ahhh.
    one of the girls here at work brought in her Maltese puppeh that looked EXACTLY like this lil puppeh.
    she let us all pass him around and he loved it (puppy smell, puppeh bref, puppeh kisses)
    it was to die for.
    I have a pommie and i give her rawhides , but never without parental supervision, and when they get small i take it away and toss it,
    they can get plugged up if they swollow too large a piece of rawhide chewie. and THAT can get very expensive, or even !! [insert your worst fears here] I cant say it.

47. Alice Shortcake says:

Pure Disney!

48. Theo, the cows have a manor? Dang, all I can afford is a tiny house!

49. It’s where the cows go home to…

The little puppeh looks like it’s about to start shaking its head trying to subdue the rawhide any second!

50. Gaaah, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to be the Nuff – but really, you shouldn’t give rawhides to dogs. My neighbor is a vet tech, they have at least one dog in a week needing either stomach pump or surgery to repair damage done by unchewed, splintered or swollen rawhides. Pig’s ears go into the same category. The fiber can swell in the intestines, creating a blockage, and it can perforate the stomach or intestines. This is, indeed, an ADORABLE puppy, there’s nothing wrong with the picture – I just hope I can save another dog a day at the doctor’s, and save some people hundreds in vet bills, by suggesting safer chew toy alternatives. :)

51. berthaslave says:

Just to add to the digression, did you know that for many years the Yiddish-speaking theater was one of the most vibrant and prominent art forms in the American theatre scene? Stella Adler, the famous acting teacher, was from the “first family” of Yiddish theatre, and Oscar winning actor Paul Muni (look him up, he was the Meryl Streep of the 30s) was trained in the Yiddish theatre. There was also a Yiddish radio station in New York for many years. Sadly, Yiddish is almost a lost language, rarely spoken anymore, except for the words that we use all the time — bagel, bupkis, chutzpah, glitch, klutz, kvetch, meshugennah, shlemiel, schlep, shlock, shmooze, shtick, tuchus, plus lots of familiar words for the male anatomy.

Oh, yeah, dog is cute, but be careful w/ da rawhide.

52. angrycupcake says:

anner, i found this for you:
    WOLFGANG
    Gender: Masculine
    Usage: German
    Pronounced: VAWLF-gahng (German); WUWLF-gang (English)

Derived from the Germanic elements wulf meaning “wolf” and gang “path”. Two famous bearers of this name were Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, a composer from Austria, and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, a novelist and poet from Germany.

ALSO, that puppy is absolutely adorable. he needs a slipper to chew on, to complete the dangerously cute image.

53. *Is* that rawhide, though? It looks like a hoof to me.

54. that is so funny!!!!!!!!

55. Lauren-Noelle says:

Is this a Maltese? I don’t think it’s a Bichon, I think Maltese. I ALWAYS jump to “Bichy!” cos I have one! Both breeds are equally cute.

56. acelightning says:

Nothing to do with puppies, but…
    In English, we say “bless you!” when someone sneezes, because people used to believe that you sneezed your soul right out of your body, and the devil might grab it before it got back in. Most other European languages use a word meaning “health”, recognizing the concept that a person who sneezed might be coming down with anything from a simple cold to the Black Plague. In German, “health” is “gesundheit”; in Spanish, “salud” – but it’s confusing, because in Spanish you also say “salud” when you’re drinking a toast to someone (“to your health!”). I’ve also heard the Spanish toast extended to “Salud, amor, y dinero” (health, love, and money)… but I’ve never heard that used for sneezing.
    (Don’t even get me *started* with Yiddish… oy vey, I’ll make you so meshuggeh you’ll plotz!)