A Scottish Fold Dachshund Kitteh?!

Look at this kitteh and his mini paw action. Don’t ask me how the Japanese manage to continue to TOP THEMSELVES every chance they get, this time with a Weiner-Kitteh-with-Scottish-Fold Action. (WKWSFA)

I’ll take one weiner kitteh with relish, Arthur C.!

Comments

1. GAH! I want him!

2. what have they done to the poor cat? why are its legs bonsai versions of those of its sisters? is this good??

3. Well…I am simply done for the day…..just put a fork in me, I’m done! This kitteh has thrown me over the edge!

4. Is the kitteh in the bukkit his litter mate?

I love the fuzzy hair!

(And I won’t *say* anything, but I’m thinking really hard about my opinion of breeding…)

5. It looks like it’s either one of those “twister” kittens with the crooked legs or one of those short legged kittens.

Both are mutantions. People breed them for this mutation now. Bad idea.

Not cute just sad.

6. How wonderful that the Japanese don’t have the problems with unwanted animals that we have. How nice thay they can breed new and cuter pets for us and not have to worry about animals being euthanized in shelters.

7. this is called a munchkin, actually. they are bred for their short legs. fortunately, the mutation that causes the short legs does not affect their health in any other way. cutest cats ever.

8. catless in t.o. says:

You dropped the ball here, Meg. This poor little beast has deformed front legs and cannot run or even play properly. Please pull this entry from your page, C.O. is too wonderful a site to display something like this as “cute”. “Insensitive” is more like it.

9. The very beginning, with the ear-pulling-back (I LOVE it when animals do that) and the very end, with the tiny pouncing action, are the best parts.

10. When she/he ran at the end I couldn’t take it……too cute!

11. Shucks, everybody’s a mutant; certainly, every cat that’s ever been bred for any trait is a mutation by design. This kitty may or may not have a mutant gene for short legs, but s/he’s still a cutie, and clearly not in pain. I agree – it may be a munchkin, or it has a natural mutation for dwarfism, but those aren’t the twisty legs — those really are terrible. This is just a cute little kitty, and s/he exists and is cute, so I don’t see what the hoopla is all about!

12. I’m all for cats who couldn’t catch a bird to save their lives, but it does bother me to see the same kind of deformation we’ve selected for in dachshunds and basset hounds being visited on these sleek athletes, for the sake of some kind of perceived (and undeniable) cuteness.

13. Squeeeee!!!1!!!

(Can’t beleive I have limited access to comp. when ‘versey brewing)

mmm…. puddin’ for breakfast

14. It’s absolutely adorable, there’s no doubt, but when they showed it beside the regular cat I actually felt kind of sad, like I was watching a PETA video or something. There’s a reason that cats don’t have short legs and little fat bodies (as ridiculously cute as it is).

15. Annie – where are u? Do you have that pudding I gave you???

We need it!

Commentroversy brewing.

16. there is nothing wrong with this kitteh. he is obviously a very happy kitteh, and loves to walk around and play like any other kitteh, he just has short legs is all. i have a mini dachshund with super short tiny wittle legs, and he is very happy, and if i wouldn’t have bought him somebody maybe not so nice as me would have and he wouldn’t be nearly as spoiled! if someone takes the time to film this little kitteh just playing, then obviously the kitteh is loved. chill out. meg just wanted to share the kitteh cuteness!

17. *twitch*
    Want. That.Kitten.
    But I think it has chosen the cameraperson!
    People should know better than to post that sort of cute too early in the morning;)!

18. Ok I know it’s bad but dang the lil guy had me in happy tears. His face has such personality!! Man, I wanna go snorgle my cats now.

19. The hops at the end did me in. This little guy could run and play and potty, so what gives wid negativikitty? Who’s to say it won’t grow into its body like the other kitty running around?

Tre cute indeed.

20. i knew it was gonna run
    i knew it
    i knew eventually it was going to stop just waddling and start to bunnyhop
    i knew
    and i kept watching anyway
    and now i can’t get up

21. lbcsquirrel says:

Oh, I do want him. My robos would look so cute riding around on his back in a mini saddle wearing mini cowboy hats.

Scottish Folds & Munchkins are my favorites! FYI: a Napoleon is a persian munchkin. : ) Ooooh yes.

22. How utterly adorable! If I can only get my 6 month old kitties to shrink back down to a 1/4 of their size.

23. That little run toward the end was SO CUTE! There is nothing wrong with this kitty. He is has been bred to have short legs – they call them Munchkins. I think he’s ADORABLE. And I don’t feel sad for him because he looks very very happy and very cared for. He can live a perfectly full life with his little shorty legs :)

24. Yup, it’s a Munchkin, who are naturally occurring in certain British Isles feral cat populations, where they apparently do just fine. (One entire colony of them was reported in the 70’s, where they lived quite successfully hunting burrowing animals that a regular cat couldn’t have pursued.) Where they’re bred for the trait, they also seem to live perfectly normal, happy lives. Although, if you’re looking for a cat that won’t jump on counters, etc. these aren’t them. They can jump.

25. Teehee! I’m sending this one to my brother and his family. They have a munchkin.

26. I kind of agree with a lot of the above. Yes, we do breed cats for certain traits, but being smaller in general or having bigger ears does NOT affect your movements or limits you in play. Having ridiculously short legs does. I think that this is not cute but merely sad. I would like to see this post removed! This site should represent the cute, and not show the sick things breeders do to their cats… I’m sorry for the monologue, but that’s how I feel.

27. BTW

Happy New Year to those of you celebrating

28. I always wonder why these vigilant crusaders for animal rights spend their time nuffing in a blog and demanding removal of a YouTube video rather than going out and doing something about the stuff that upsets them so. Pulling one ‘offensive’ vid does nothing whatsoever towards their cause.

(Pudding plz?)

I live near Busch Gardens in Wiliamsburg, and they have a Munchkin in their Pet Shenanigans show (I think they show it rather than train it). All the animals they feature are adopted from shelters, I believe. That’s the first time I ever saw this sort of kit, and while I personally wouldn’t be fond of having stubby legs, these little guys really do make the most of what they’ve got. (And I’m pretty sure they’re well aware of how adorable they are and play it up *just* to overload our Cute Circuits. The little meanies.)

29. Also, ‘Williamsburg’ has two Ls. I’ve only lived here for seven years …

30. ShelleyTambo says:

‘K, I don’t like to be nuffy, but my first thought was, “What’s wrong with its stomach?” As far as Japanese cute goes: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/business/28dogs.html?ex=1324962000&en=612f4d4668e7583c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

31. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG *falls out of desk chair in dead-cuteness-faint on floor*

32. ShelleyTambo says:

Umm…I don’t mean to imply that the U.S. is perfect in terms of breeding practices, either…

33. I think the tinkly little baby music is what capped this. It would’ve been enough to see that teeny kitten tromping around, but they HAD to add the soundtrack! XD

34. Love the pouncing action at the end. *explodes from cuteness*

35. *dies*

A scottish fold with corgi legs.

I. Love. It!!!

36. that is the cutest thing ever. i love it, and its sibling is adorable too.

37. Yitzysmommie says:

ShelleyTambo – thanks for the link to that sad story.
    Megster, sorries, but I have to weigh in on the ‘Nuff side too. This vid is definietely in the Cute or Sad category, with an emphasis on Sad. I hope the leetle kitster has a long and happy life, but I find deliberate breeding for serious deformities unappealing.

38. The Munchkin is a recognized breed and has been around for years. The mutation is a naturally occurring one and poses no health problems for the cat. It is really only a problem if you let your cat outside to fight other cats, and raccoons, and moving vehicles. I don’t think that breeding for short legs is any more irresponsible that breeding for folded ears. Honestly – how are French bulldogs any different? People are breeding and buying them like crazy.

Munchkin kittehs are cutalicious!

39. O.M.G.

I’m overloaded with the cuteness factor!

40. Very sad. A lot of deformed kittens had to be born for that one “cute” deformed kitten to be here.

41. pugmamatimestwo says:

i thought this was kinda icky, too, until i saw the kitty’s littermate. if the other kittens are normal, then i’m going to assume that this little guy was born a dwarf by accident. in which case, he just needs a good home.

he is VERY cute :):)

42. I’m deleting a *lot* of redundant & duplicate comments today, peeps. Just ONE click on the “Post” button is all it takes, even if it looks like nothing is happening, ‘k?

Carry on…

43. snoopysnake says:

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I lurrrrrrrrrrrrve him!

Cutest kitteh evah!

44. Yitzysmommie says:

T(Ed.) – ya missed one, hehehehe!

45. Seems to me that no one who loves cats could breed them-think of the litters destroyed so someone could make a buck.

46. Yitzysmommie says:

MAM – I don’t reserve my dislike only for Munchkin catses. I find the dogs and cats bred for their smooshed faces terribly sad. I remember my Dad the veterinarian having to C section many breeds because their heads had been bred too big to be delivered vaginally. The animals with smooshed faces often develop respiratory problems.
    OK, I am jumping down off my soapbox. My ideas of Teh Qte don’t have to agree with anyone elses. L’Shanah Tova (Happy New Year) everyone.

47. You’re dealing with two mutations here. First you are dealing with the Munchkin mutation, which contrary to what some have posted here, CAN cause various problems, including lordosis (swayback or saddleback) and pectus excavatum (sunken chest), which can cause respiratory and cardiac problems. The Scottish Fold mutation is essentially a mutation of the cartilage; properly bred, this affects only the ears, but improperly bred, can affect other parts of the body, including severe stiffness and arthritis in the joint and stiff, almost baseball-bat-like tails. I own a properly bred Scottish Fold who, at nearly eight years of age, has lovely little folded ears but no other joint issues at all, so I am not against this breed. In fact, I used to breed cats myself (Maine Coons), so I am not even against limited, responsible cat breeding practices.

However, I think mixing these breeds, both of which have mutations that can affect joints and skeletal structure, is a highly irresponsible act of breeding.

48. We have a Corgi- He was bred to have the tiniest chickenstix you ever laid eyes on. He is freakin adorable, and when he bounces up the stairs like a bunny, it is the most hilarious thing you have ever seen. People just love him.
    I also have a son. He is nearly nine, and through no fault of his own is the size of a 5 year old. He wears a shirt that says “Small, but Mighty.” Nothing wrong with shortness folks. It’s just predjudice. Small is beautiful.

49. It’s Danny DeVito!

Heehee!

50. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I thought the kitteh had short legs, but then I thought…

Isn’t that the kitteh’s older sister? Or just another unrelated kat? ‘Cos that UBER CUTE kitteh’s legs don’t look out of proportion. I think it’s just a young cat who MAYBE is a runt, but I don’t think it’s in pain/a mutant. Jeesh. Some people have shorter legs and we don’t call them mutants! So I think the kitten may be a runt, or maybe just young, and that other cat looks older anyways. So stop it with a ‘mutants are disgusting’ posts already! Just enjoy the cuteness and don’t jump to conclusions!

51. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I thought the kitteh had short legs, but then I thought…

52. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I thought the kitteh had short legs, but then I thought…

53. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I thought the kitteh had short legs, but then I thought…

54. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I thought the kitteh had short legs, but then I thought…

55. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I thought the kitteh had short legs, but then I thought…

56. so weeeeeeeeeeee!

57. There are mutations and mutations. I happen personally to have syndactly (two toes webbed together), an extra vertebra and an extra (short) pair of ribs. Mutations do occur naturally, and in the vast majority of cases cause no other problems. Certainly there are breeders proceeding irresponsibly–how does that make them different than members of any other profession? Let’s just relax and enjoy the pictures of cute beasties that are so thoughtfully provided for our amusement. Those who find some things upsetting are welcome to go be amused by something else.

58. enjoying the sweet kitters, whilst enjoying a delish bowl of butterscotch puddin’.
    nuff said. ;)

59. Someone needs to give this li’l fella a squeeze RIGHT now, else I might have to do it myself!

60. Well, looking at its sibling and comparing it might be a one-off inbred mutant but it’s an extremely cute one-off inbred mutant. Awww. I hope its little bandy front legs don’t cause it too many problems in later life and it certainly seems happy now.

61. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I’ll squeeze him!

And… Can I have some o’ that Butterscotch pud? Please?!

62. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I’ll squeeze him!

And… Can I have some o’ that Butterscotch pud? Please?!

63. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I’ll squeeze him!

And… Can I have some o’ that Butterscotch pud? Please?!

64. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I’ll squeeze him!

And… Can I have some o’ that Butterscotch pud? Please?!

65. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I’ll squeeze him!

And… Can I have some o’ that Butterscotch pud? Please?!

66. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

I’ll squeeze him!

And… Can I have some o’ that Butterscotch pud? Please?!

67. oh, and yeah, if that kitten has a sibling with non short legs, most likely this wasn’t a cruel breeding thing, but a random mutation. and why do you all automatically assume the worst about the animal owners? if they love animals, as they clearly do, they wouldn’t do that to their babeh kittehs. people, at least give them the benefit of the doubt before comdeming them to evil breeder status!

68. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

——

Well said! I’m randomly deaf in my right ear, something that is NOT genetically linked. I don’t think this kitteh is a mutant anyway, but even so, doesn’t make is a poor, suffering creature with abusive, neglective, heartless owners!

69. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

——

70. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

——

71. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

——

72. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

——

73. Ginger's Cotton Socks says:

——

74. speedreeder says:

I read C.O. daily, and almost never post. But I think the people criticism of munchkins is totally off base, unfounded and ignorant. And a waste of time, there are much worse things being done to animals, and breeding for specific traits is fairly benign, in my opinion.
    The short legs in basset hounds, dachshunds and corgis were all bred for. As was nearly every breed of dog, and the dog itself. And nearly every type breed of cattle, and sheep, and goat, and horse…
    Nobody was up in arms over the Yorkie in a sock, but every trait the Yorkie terrier has has been bred into it.
    This cat doesn’t need to survive in the wild, and does not have to deal with natural selection.

75. For all the people thinking this is wrong:

‘Nuff said.

76. I didn’t even know kitties with short legs existed! He’s adorable! And is it just me, or does it look like they have a heated bed in the background of one of those shots? That’s gotta be some spoiled kittens. *squees over the bouncing mini-kitty*

And since there’s all this controversy over mutations and all: I have three kidneys. *beams proudly*

77. i think i’m ded from the kitteh, and the music-box soundtrack is just driving the nails into my comfy coffin.

78. speedreeder says:

I just wanted to add that potential problems from the Scottish Fold mutation can be much worse for cats than the Munchkin gene.

79. It is a sad thing and not cute to deliberatly breed genetic mutations to the liking of some people.

Actually, this breed is not recognized by all cat registries. In fact, the largest registry refuses it because of its basis in genetic disease. Munchikins are prone to lordosis (swayback) and pectus excavatum (caved in chests).

Unlike common dog breeds with like traits, this is relatively new and started in 1984. Dachshunds can be traced to back 1550 and Corgi’s trace back to the 800’s. They’ve been around long enough to breed out the (most) kinks. Not to mention new thinking on animal cruelty and the like.

80. Kiddo – Seriously? That’s so cool! Do they all, like, hook up correctly and function?

81. Genetic “mutations” can still produce wonderful, long-living, happy pets…especially with proper care. ~ Owner of a wonderfully mutated pet.

82. What a cutie. I agree that some breeding practices are bad but once the kitten is actually here – it should be nothing but love and snuggles all around.

83. lurkingsmirk says:

Oh I lurv his little face…and the part where another head pokes out of the box and you realize there is two of them!

I have stubby legs too, sadly that does not make me cuter =(

84. hey-h: sadly, no. It’s hooked up but since my body doesn’t need it it doesn’t use it and it’s atrophied. It was half the size of a normal kidney when they found it and that was prolly over 10 years ago.

But it’s still a cool mutation to brag about, even if it isn’t nearly as cute as the stubby-kitty.

Isn’t cute at all, now that I think about it… ;_;

85. [plants a kiss on the munchkin's hed]

Wow, thanks for the good information on both sides – I knew there was a breed (recognized or not) for short-legged cats, but couldn’t remember the particulars. Two things, though, for the concerned posters:

1. As always, I’m really uncomfortable with people demanding, or even requesting, that Meg remove anything from her blog. This isn’t the International Cat Association or a Cat Fancier’s site – it’s just one lady’s blog where she posts cute stuff and says funny things.

2. I think that you care for animals, a lot, but as far as activism is concerned, you’re meowing up the wrong tree to be trying to change anything here. People here enjoy the cute for what it is and then go out and do a lot of good for their pets and other animals in distress. You’re preaching to the choir and kind of pissing them off to boot. Your voice on behalf of animals is a great, great thing, but this is not the appropriate place to do it, IMO.

That said, you’re absolutely entitled to free speech, free love and pass the bong, will you, Stanley? But the Cuteologists have the same right to tell you exactly where to go.

86. Catless, Have you even watched the clip or are you just doing some knee-jerk spouting off? It’s clear the kitten can run and play just fine.

87. This video was stolen from YouTube user MARSASMITH. Please correct your link so that others can find more videos of these kittens.

88. If I didn’t actually know a few munchkin cats, (and didn’t see them regularly getting into as much trouble as my normal ones… ) I might be worried.

Sometimes, and apparently (with the normal sib) this was one of those random things too. I think he’ll be fine.

My sister is all of 4’11” (my dad’s side of the family tends to be Hobbit size anyway.) I have extra vertebra which I discovered after being in a car accident, and the doctor looking at the xray was all “COOL!” :D No one else in my family has the extra vertebra, so what happened there? Just luck good: taller than dad and sis, or bad: got scoliosis too…

I’ll just send him a virtual snorgle, and be happy that he’s as happy as he is on this video. He’s got so much personality, he’s going to be loved to bits.

89. A stubbular, chubbular kitten! Almost like a baby bulldog.

90. Stating the obvious:

THAT’S SO DAMN CUTE

91. Doronjosama says:

I had a cat many years ago with very short, stumpy legs, like a Dachshund. She had no troubles getting around whatsoever and ruled the roost! But as she had other mutations (heart issues, allergies, ashtma, internal organ troubles), she died young of kidney failure. Her litter-mates were all normal cats with normal legs.

She was an awesome cat though, and I still miss her. Sometimes mutations happen, it’s just part of life. If the animal is happy and can function just fine, then I don’t see the problem. This kitten is adorable and reminded me very much of my late cat in her kittenhood!

92. Cat’s are not meant to have short legs. They are supposed to be able to race around the house with amazing speed and agility, not WADDLE. How in the world would that cat jump to the amazing heights other kitties so love? If my cat’s personality and instincts were trapped inside a body with short legs, she would be horribly depressed. It makes me sad that people intentionally create these kitties. :(

93. chelonianmobile says:

Well, ferrets get around perfectly with tiny legs. So do the various breeds of dog which have tiny legs. As long as the cat’s not actually ill in any way as a result of the mutation, why not? It’s a cat, it won’t realise what it’s “missing” if it can’t jump very well, and it’ll be perfectly happy.

94. Awwwww….

God Bless that perfect little angel and all the kitterns of dah woild!!!!!!!!! AHHhhnnn….

95. DarrylsMama says:

There was recently an article in the NYT about all the cats/dogs w. unwanted mutations (physically demormities, blindness, chronic illnesses) that the Japanese cute animal craze has created. When you see a cat w. short legs or whatever, there are other far less cute mutations on the animal’s genes. These poor animals are euthanized, destined to live lives of misery w.o recieving the proper medical care (bc they are unwanted) or may suffer a worse fate.

96. *lewks at pudding*

should i eat it or splot it?

hmm… what to do… what to do…

97. BATHE in it!!! It’s FRIDAY!!!

98. OMG! it's Carrie says:

**sets out huge bowls of butterscotch, chocolate fudge, vanilla, pistachio and the same amounts in sugar free”

The running at the end caused me a diabetic coma. Gee, thanks Meg.

99. OMG! it's Carrie says:

The running at the end caused me a diabetic coma. Gee, thanks Meg.

100. OMG! it's Carrie says:

The running at the end caused me a diabetic coma. Gee, thanks Meg.

101. OMG! it's Carrie says:

The running at the end caused me a diabetic coma. Gee, thanks Meg.

102. OMG! it's Carrie says:

The running at the end caused me a diabetic coma. Gee, thanks Meg.

103. OMG! it's Carrie says:

The running at the end caused me a diabetic coma. Gee, thanks Meg.

104. Theo wants to see the ladies in puddin’
    …typical male

*eyeroll*

;)

yayyyyy it IS indeed F*R*I*D*A*Y!!

105. I agree with Cerise; this is the wrong forum for railing against irresposible breeding and creating horribly deformed animals to get one fashioable pet. No one here is happy that that happens, but what do you expect us to do? Hide the non-deformed, possibly naturally-occurring mutated kitteh away and never look at him because it makes you think of something upleasant? Does this cat deserve to be called a freak and ignored forever because there are bad people in the world? The cat is there, and cute. Be happy he’s normal and apparently happy and healthy, enjoy watching him romp around, then go donate to the Humane society and write letters to the editor of your newspaper. Then you might actually reach people who aren’t aware of the terrible things that go on and get them to help. Going all nuffy on this blog just starts pudding fights, from what I can see.

106. Yeah, I personally don’t approve of the breeding of munchkin cats, or of any mutation in an animal solely for aesthetic purposes. Dachshunds, Corgis and Bassets were all bred to their sizes for a functional reason. But, my personal views don’t change the fact that the kitten is here, and is freaking adorable! I would love to take that little mutant puffball and just snorgle him to within an inch of his life :-P

107. I thought this was adorable til people started throwing out the “mutation” word. Geez, you guys.

108. I don’t know, “She lurks in the shadows” — you’re right that ranting here might not change much, but thinking this is cute *is* a problem. It’s the thinking that it’s cute that made the breeders try for the mutation to begin with. *We* might never buy this kitteh, but *somebody* will, and until we as a society decide that this is NOT, in fact, cute, breeders are going to keep breeding it. Don’t we have to break the cycle somewhere?

109. The kitten is adorable, but the practice of intentionally creating such kittens is distasteful if not wrong. Keep the video. It’s still really freakin’ cute.

110. had enuff of the nuffers says:

Should people carrying the gene for dwarfism be neutered?
    I agree with everyone saying we should not assume this was an intentional mutation.
    I am missing some of my ribs and have spina bifida occulta. Neither are serious but I am just pointing out the frequency of mutations occurring naturally.

111. The kitten is cute, but please take a look at this NYT article, for the sake of knowledge.

112. Breeding in and of itself is irresponsible, considering the hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats euthanized every year because there aren’t enough homes for them all. Breeding for deformity (as “benign” as some insist) may produce a precious product, but it’s also cruel. Humans with dwarfism would likely disagree with you that having shorter legs has no effect on quality of life.

113. JuliaJellicoe says:

I like the Fischer-Price soundtrack.

114. While I admit this kitten is cute (for me though it’s ONLY b/c he is part Scottish Fold), the video doesn’t really do anything but make me angry that some idiot decided to breed more munchkins. Imagine yourself without your forearms – that is EXACTLY what the breeders are doing to these cats. The do not HAVE their bones – that’s why their legs are shorter. And it’s only the front legs, so have seen some cats that have to hop around like kangaroos b/c they’re back legs are too long to walk any other way. That is what I see when I watch this video, and I hope it gets taken down to be honest.

115. My my my. When I first saw the amount of comments on this video, I knew commentroversy was afoot. But what I didn’t know is that people could turn THAT VIDEO *Ahhhhn* into a pudding fling.
    There are worse injustices in the world than a kitten who was born a little smaller but still healthy. ;)
    Just enjoy teh qte, folks.

116. I don’t agree with you that no one here would take this cat, AldenM1. If I saw this kitteh in a shelter, I would consider adopting him. But I would agree with you that no one here is going to go to the breeder and ask for them to breed a munchkin.

A big point for me is that this mutation can occur naturally. So do we decide those cats who are naturally shorter are disgusting and drown them? Things can end up cute even if the process that created them isn’t. Go after the breeders, but don’t decide these cats are less worthy of love than any other. For better or worse, they already exist, and even if every breeder on the planet stopped right now, there would still be munchkins from time to time. I think the cycle doesn’t start with the cats, it starts with people, and usually only bad people at that. Those people aren’t here.

117. AH!!

cute leettle tails! leettle leettle ears! chubbiness! short stubby little legs!

TOO CUTE!

118. Drowning bred/mutant cats for great justice? Teh win!

On a bit of tangent (cause controversy posts seem to wind up in the deep end at some point) isn’t it amazing how animals with handicaps somehow manage to adjust and be happy? I once saw a cat at a shelter that had it’s front leg amputated (you don’t want to know why… it’s a sad story) and it was apparently up and running like nothing was wrong within days of its surgery, according to the shelter workers. He got adopted pretty quickly too.

I think animals adjust to these sorts of things far easier than humans, really. Kinda incredible if you sit back and think about it.

119. I read the article above which stipulated that it be read “for the sake of Knowledge”- and it sounds to me like the blame behind all the poor breeding of animals is a direct consequence of peeps not having enough Human babies like this cutie:
    Get breeding people!

120. TICA recognizes munchkins as a breed.

I confess – I’m biased. I have a munchkin and he is soooo my bebe. Trust me – he can jump! Not quite as high as his regular-legged brother, but he can reach the counter. And he is FAST! Also corners better than his bro.

I promise- no more soapbox.

121. MissMySugar says:

Too cute! How *do* they fit all that cute into an extra tiny kitty? It’s magic.

Cerise and She Lurks – very eloquent. I totally concur.

Cute seekers are in the right place. Activists should go find a PETA rally.

Alden M – Why is it wrong that someone thinks the mini-kitty is cute? It is what it is. Granted, irresponsible breeding and suffering animals are not cute. But the animal is clearly not suffering and we have no idea about this cat’s pedigree.

And who are you to dictate cuteness? Why don’t you start your own blog with only Alden-approved cuteness. Seems like the rest of us are pretty happy right here.

122. Hmmm aparently I missed the pudding fight, (sits down with a bowl of choclate pudding).
    Pudding wrestling???? hmmm goey sticky delicious… I don’t know I am kinda torn about it all.

RE: the Kitten, IT is cute. If you feel this strongly about this issue start writting letters, do not as the annoying new song says “wait on the world to change”. Effect a change, And don’t tell me one man cannot change the world. Go read about Ghandi. HE started as one man, one voice.

Sorry, I get tired of people complaining about stuff but never stepping up to the plate and doing a thing about it.

123. Actually, I didn’t say it wasn’t cute, MissMySugar. I just said (as the NYTimes article says, in fact) that it’s people thinking that it’s cute that makes breeders do it. In point of fact I think the cat is adorable. But I wouldn’t pay for him (although I would totally rescue him from a shelter — another thing I didn’t say). I was deliberately avoiding the is this cute or not debate. I just wanted to point out that it’s BECAUSE we think it’s cute that breeders do it! But hey, go ahead and throw pudding — I’m hungry, and I can eat it and not feel offended.

124. Christine H says:

SO CUTE. I’m with Cerise and the others who said that regardless of whatever unfortunate breeding practices may have created this kitten, the kitteh is here and is adorable and should be loved and enjoyed.

125. I thought the kitty was cute. I just assumed he hadn’t grown into his legs yet, and everyone knows that if you haven’t grown into your proportions yet, it’s cute

126. I’m just getting a kick out of hearing about everybody’s crazy mutations. All I got is arms that are a little too long :(

127. *gently pats SarahK*

I’m sure we can find a barrel of toxic waste somewhere and fix that… throw in a racoon crossed with a dingo to the mix and you’ll be the coolest new superheroine around.

128. A spontaneous change in the genetic heritage of the cat has introduced a gene similar to that seen in the Basset Hound, Corgi, and Dachshund, which the Munchkin closely resembles. However these cats have been proven free of the spinal problems sometimes found in the Dachshund.
    Come on people, it is a cute kitty! Don’t start bickering over whether or not it is cruel that some one bred him to look that way, who knows, maybe it just happened. As I understand this mutation, it could happen to ANY litter of kittens, and as much as people might try breeeders cannot guarantee that they are going to get any munchkins at all when they breed their cats. Lay off and enjoy the kitty. If that does not get my point accross, Do you oooh and ahhh over cute little breed dogs? Their mutations were much more exploited and used to create animals that are much less practical and with more health issues than a cat with really short legs. This as far as I know, is not a site dedicated to the philosophical ramifications of animal breeding.

129. Yeah… To all those people saying that this is an unhealthy mutation… I’m quite sure that it’s not… As mentioned atleast one time before (sorry I didn’t read through ALL of your comments) it’s most likely a breed called the Munchkin… The Munchkin is bred for it’s short legs, and can quite easily climb, run and play just as well as any other cat. It just has some difficulty in jumping onto counters. But as far as I know, this kitten is perfectly healthy…

130. Watching the video, I just thought the kitten hadn’t grown long legs yet. I don’t think that we have enough information to say whether this kitty is the result of bad breeding practices, random mutation, or just an “awkward age.” We do know enough to say that it’s cute, though.

One big difference between breeding cats and breeding dogs is that while most dog breeds (except for toy dogs) are bred for traits that originally made them good at their “jobs,” like hunting, herding or retrieving, cat breeds seem to be pretty much decorative.

131. This kitten is so cute it got me all emotional- helped by the tinkly music, but I have to admit that it does walk a bit akwardly with those wee stubby legs- I feel a bit sorry for the wee thing.

132. SQUEEEEEE!!!

I think I just died of a massive overdose of Qte… when he was sitting next to the telephone (at least I think that’s that it was) and then came charging over to the camera, straight at you, until that sweet little face filled the screen, I let out a super-squee.

133. Reposting this link, for all those saying “I’m sure the kitten’s healthy” and “It’s harmless”:

Is this article a little bit sensationalist? Sure. Does that change the fact that if you breed several generations of offspring to their own parents, you’ll get debilitating and fatal deformites? Nope.

Also, for all those citing the established history of the Munchkin “breed”, keep in mind that the short-leggedness in Scottish folds is caused by a different condition than what other Munchkin cats have, specifically, one that seriously and harmfully deforms bone and cartilage.

134. sockmonstersarai says:

I’m totally okay with the cuteness of the kitty!

I don’t like the intentional breeding of harmful mutations, but looking at the sibling in the vid, I’m thinking it’s a spontaneous mutation. Would I pay for a kitty like this? No. I wouldn’t support the industry. Would I adopt such a baby, either a spontaneous mutation or a pound or rescue kitty? You bet! I love runts! Eeyore the kitty was a runt, with bad vision and a limp, but I loved her dearly! BUT… I also had her spayed, and I would have this kitty spayed besides, were I so lucky to have him. His life may be shorter because of his mutations, but I’d give him the best life I could.

I cannot abide by euthanizing a critter just because he’s a runt or doesn’t meet some “breed standard”. If it’s a catastrophic mutation, I would. But that little guy is so happy! He runs, he pounces, it’s all good. I have a genetic anomaly that does affect my co-oridination and stuff. By some “ethical” standards, I should have been euthanized when I was a baby! And I can tell you this seriously; if I was able to have children (my genetic issues have rendered me sterile) I wouldn’t.

135. Okay.

This is a Scottish Fold, at least part one, and yes, Scottish Folds can hear, are not more prone to ear infections, etc. I know this because I have known people with Foldies. The one I know lived to almost 19 with no health problems and was the sweetest, most laid-back cat I’ve ever met to boot. If I could get a cat I’d love to get a Fold.

Also, I’m not sure this kitty is a Munchkin- he may just have a gene mutation (it happens, even in people) or maybe just hasn’t grown into his legs yet. His long-legged kitty sib makes me think that he’s not a Munchkin.

And yes, irresponsible breeding is bad, but at least there are people out there like cat shelters and foster kitty parents and adopters and people who help TNR cats to help, instead of complaining in a comment on a blog. And even if this kitty is the product of deliberate animal overpopulation and is suffering terribly from a cruel and debilitating mutation as all the Nuffs here seem to think, he is here, and there’s nothing you can do about that unless you really want to put said kitty to sleep like you have all also so often railed about. So, he’s here, he seems happy, he’s cute, adore him. End of story.

136. Jeez, can we all just pack up our soapboxes and take them to where they matter?

The kitten is cute. It is a happy, adorable, undeniably cute kitten. And it seems everyone here has already decided if breeding is a cause to fight against or not. Animal lovers are an opiniated bunch and very, very hard to sway once stuck in their ways. At least, from my experience they are.

And any breeders reading this blog probably either care for the welfare of their animals or don’t give a darn what anyone says so you aren’t changing anything.

Seriously… accomplish something if you care so much. Write letters. Join an existing campaign or create one. Don’t rail against a blog dedicated to light-hearted cuteness. It doesn’t accomplish anything.

137. Juniper Jupiter says:

I’m gonna go on a rant here and say something might piss a bunch of you all off…but none of you know what happened to that baby that made her become what she is, maybe she was bred that way, maybe she wasn’t, my guess is the latter, cuz if the other kitteh was her litter mate, wouldn’t she be a munchkin too? Who knows on that…but even though I agree with most of you that animals shouldn’t really be bred for blatant health reasons, or run the risk of injury should it stray from home(munchkins can’t really run away very well from a fight or fend off an attacker, but I could be wrong) once they’re in the picture, they shouldn’t be euthanized…that’s like retroactive abortion(yeah, I don’t think anyone’s mentioned that, I skimmed through alot of these comments). Sorry, folx, stream of conscience rambling again.

All that said…the last few seconds!!! OH MY GODS!!!ELEVENTY ONE!!1!!!!!111!! DID YOU SEE THE WAY SHE SCAMPERED!!!! SO CUTE!!!! SQUEEEEEE!!!!

Oh…and for alll you “haters”(yes, you don’t really hate her, just saying how cruel it is that she was bred that way) If you don’t want her…FINE!! Your loss! I’ll take her!!! So PPTHTTHTTBBHTTHPPTHHBHBHPPTHT!!!!!

:P

138. This is me after reading all these comments:

:) :( :) :( :)

DO I SMILE WITH GLEE OR DO I CRY WHAT DO I DOOOOO

139. This is a serious question: do people really advocate EUTHANASIA on this site?

140. AldenM1: It depends on who is posting. Me, I believe euthanasia is morally acceptable when you have an animal that is suffering. I helped take a family cat to the vet to be killed when his kidneys failed. It was horrible, but letting him die naturally would have been worse.

Euthanizing for reasons such as “I don’t want it anymore” is not acceptable, in my opinion. I believe my aunt owns a cat that was going to be killed for such a reason but the vet refused to do it and called my aunt asking if she wanted a new kitty.

141. I’m one of those people who actually *does* do stuff for animals, and this video bothers me. I hate that they’re breeding animals for these mutations. I hope the kitten gets spayed or neutered. Of course, the kitty should have a nice life and be loved, but the trait should end with that kitten.

142. I am seriously seriously disappointed to see this post. The poor cat is a victim of humans breeding freak animals for entertainment purposes. Ack! Get rid of it, puh-leeease :)

143. oh, and yeah, if that kitten has a sibling with non short legs, most likely this wasn’t a cruel breeding thing, but a random mutation.

I think that this makes sense. I have a small, ADORABLE, round tabby with extremely small legs like this. I found her as a stray. I wish that I could’ve seen her when she was this baby’s age because she was probably even more insanely cute. I hope that this adorable muffin cat is well-cared for, and it looks like s/he is.

144. Okay, I have to add that all this “Don’t do selective breeding of animals” is kind of funny, considering that *all domesticated animals* got to be domesticated through generations of deliberate inbreeding, which probably produced its fair share of painful mutations that killed the unfortunate animals they expressed themselves in. The adorable dog you have is more actually like a severely inbred wolf puppy that will perpetually play the beta animal to his or her human. Would you repudiate your dog because many of her forbearers suffered at the hands of breeders to get to you? Would you stop her from breeding to “strike a blow against those evil breeders”?

Humans have been shaping animals for tens of thousands of years, often to the advantage of the animals in terms of the survival and propogation of their species. Sad to say, but if super cute munchkin kittens explode in popularity, their genetic material would be propogated all over the world and their genes would be guaranteed a long advantage in the race to be the fittest.

145. i love this kitty and i would give him a home in a second! and i would get him fixed so that he wouldnt be making any more little kitties just like i do with all of my pets.
    but i would not turn him out in the cold for sure!

146. UUUUGHHHHHH – stop this bickering. It’s fruitless and just plain irritating. I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way (sorry peoples, but I have not read *every single one* of these posts). Just go away. Shoo… Happy Friday :)

147. OMG HE’S SO FRIKEN CUTE! i want a scottish fold dauchsicat! OMG HE WADDLES! AHAHAHA!! -SQUEALS UNTILL SOMETHING POPS IN THROAT-

148. I love the number of people on this blog who are positive the kitten is perfectly healthy, happy, and in no danger of future problems. And believe it or not, some of us spend much of our time fighting for animal welfare and actually find the creatures we fight for absolutely adorable. I know, hard to believe.

149. OMG ITS A MUNCHIKIN SCOTTISH FOLD MIX
    and he can run!

150. Now, Kiddo, I’m sure all three of your kidneys are cute!

151. There is nothing cute about breeding deformed animals to make novelty pets.

Posting videos of them *is* harmful because it encourages people to think they’re cute and encourages demand. As more and more people want different looking animals so more and more mutations appear and more animals suffer health problems. And more “boring” animals end up in shelters when people move on to the next fad.

Look at the previous post of the miowing cat. Look how much he sneezes. All cos he was bred to have a smooshed face.

Not cute. Just very very sad.

152. I can’t condone breeding the munchins either. They’re just not that cute when they can’t even walk.

I know a lot of the cat associations are spitting mad about these. The poor pregnant mommies can’t even walk with their big bellies.

Not cute.

153. i need help emptying gallon drums of pudding into this here trebuchet

*blink* *blink*

yeah, i said trebuchet

154. this is terrible. i thought this website was supposed to make you feel good. what have they done to the kittehs? cats are supposed to be natural acrobats… good luck with this one…

155. this is terrible. i thought this website was supposed to make you feel good. what have they done to the kittehs? cats are supposed to be natural acrobats… good luck with this one…

156. Me thinks I needs to get me some swirl puddin’

Both sides of the argument have valid points and nothing’s going to get solved here so it’s pointless to try.

*sits back with puddin’ waits for more comments to read*

157. Utterly kawaii! But totally a “Cute or Sad?” entry.

158. oh my! its like a munchkin and fold all in one!

159. Wow. I leave for hours and this is still going?

How did we NOT run out of pudding already?!

And, as much as I am against adding fuel to the fire- the cat is fine. Don’t blame the cows for what the bull did. And why not spend the time you’re now using to harass a pet owner you’ve never met who obviously takes care of his/her cat productively, like actually helping those cats?
    Meg won’t take it down, and why should she?

NOW… PUDDING!

160. …and i’m using butterscotch pudding `cuz it’s my least favorite

161. I think the kitty is cute.

Deformed is kind of a harsh word, considering that people with achondroplasia do have normal lives, and do get married to other people and have kids.

Unless you have a solid reason to expect genetic issues, it’s not that much more irresponsible than 2 Jewish people having kids (Oh NO Tay-Sachs!) or 2 little people (Oh NO pre-natal fatalities!) or 2 African Americans (Oh NO sickle cell!) or 2 blue eyed people (oh NO photophobia!)

Sometimes genetic abnormalities are just genetic abnormalities

/has cat who sneezes a lot and is prone to ear infections
    /is mutt cat from pound who may or may not be inbred genetic tendency to leave snot all over the place.
    /still loves mutt cat very much anyway

162. This little Munchkin is the cutest! So happy! Also very cute and sweet are Napoleans (a mix between a Persian, Himalayan, and Munchkin), Ragapers (a cross between a Persian and a Ragamuffin), and curly-coated LaPerms!

163. Lick My Pickles says:

I am a mutant

164. AAHHhhhhh the bunny-hop is killing me!!

165. cryin kitteh says:

poor widdle baby, look what evil breeders did to me. i’m still a sweetie, but the peeplez that did this to me are creepy frankenbreeders

166. ooh, aah, hmm says:

the kitty is super-wuvvable, and mayyybe it’s was just a random mutation (unlikely). but intentionally breeding cats to be less agile seems unethical, and posting a video that make everyone want one is problematic. staying quiet so the breeders only hear oohs and aahs wouldn’t be right either. so i complain about an indeed adorable kitteh.

167. I personally thought this was too cute. I’d love to have a chance to adopt a Scottish Fold. Doesn’t matter if the legs are munchkinized or not, I’d love him/her all the same. Grew up around cats most of my formative life.

Also, I normally love reading the comments, but the soapbox rants made me sick. Hey people, either enjoy CO’s posts or don’t enjoy them. Just don’t ask Meg to pull the post because it happens to offend you. It’s her site… not yours.

I know of a couple of times where I offended a friend or reader on my site with a post I had made. No, I didn’t pull the post at all; It was borne of my feelings and beliefs and the offense was a matter of perspective.

Rant done. Sorry… I was just a bit miffed.

168. ooh, aah, hmm says:

oh, and the tall sibling does not mean this was an accident, all you biology “c” students.

it’s extremely unlikely that this occurred by chance, as to get one of these cats, you have to breed two extremely rare (for now) normal-looking heterozygous parents. as self-indulgent dimwits buy these in droves and some of them let them go feral, this gene variant will become more and more common and you will see it occurring by accident more frequently. but now, the odds that this was a magic union of two extremely rare munchkin heterozygotes (who also happened to be scottish folds) are much less likely than the odds that this is a breeder who cares less about a cat’s health than about his pocketbook.

169. Headscratcher says:

I just love how some folks can give the entire life story based on one little video. It must be nice to be psychic and 100% accurate.

170. Neuter and spay! It’s the only way!

171. Ow, I want that kitten!
    Sooo cute. It made my day!

172. I love the little run at the end! Oh my gosh, I’m melting. This is such a sweet video. I want to love this kitty forever and ever!! *faints* So sweet!!

173. hahaha
    Kitty shouldn’t be!!
    But so cute. I love the hopping. I got my cat from the city pound and can see the morality issues with breeding mutations. But to me breeding the weird cats makes more sense than people who buy and sell those so-called breeds that look exactly like the mutt-kitties being euthanized by the tens of thousands because nobody will take them for free.

174. OMG! Look at this sweet kitteh walking around, checking things out, having a grand old time despite his stubby little legs!! Must be some sort of magical trickery!!! A special edit on the video that cuts out the crawling on 2 feets agony behind the scenes!

Imagine the nerve of Meg….posting this obviously unfortunate kitten who has the nerve to make some people smile. Shame, shame, shame!!! We all know that she demands a background story on each submission before deciding whether it’s cute or not!

That’s it! I’m getting my tapioca!! These super-pimples will tangle in you hair! Your HAIR!!!

175. Why are you all attacking the owner of the Cute Overload for posting the video, and not those responsible for* actually producing the video* with your commentary? Getting the video taken down will not stop people from breeding these animals. Odds are they don’t even read forums like this.

I am not sure that offending people was the actual intent of the video producers *at all*. I’d like to hear what they have to say in their own defense, because so far nobody has proven the producers of said video are even breeders of these kittens.

I’m not against activism to prevent animal suffering. Or education to make the public aware of what goes on in things like puppy mills, etc.

176. Oh man. Cutest kitten I have ever seen, EVER. The bunny-hop delivered a Fatality of Cuteness.

As far as the breeding thing… to me, it’s not as bad as chihuahuas are. Bred purely for decorative purposes, and in my opinion they just don’t look natural… so small with big bug eyes and quivering all the time. Meh, that’s the worst example of selective breeding today. They don’t even seem canine anymore.

This kitteh is obviously bred (if it’s not random which is just as likely) to be EXTREMELY cute, and he is. I’ll admit, I squeel’d with joy the first time I saw it, but after reading all the comments and watching it again, I can see where people are coming from. But that doesn’t mean the post should be removed… not everyone reads the comments :P

(All this reminds me of Darwin Hill: http://www.experimentalgameplay.com/game.php?g=19 )

:D

177. Legbinding? Nah, that’s Chinese…

178. shall I send out for pizza and open a box of wine??????

179. I have a collagen mutancy that results in horrific joint pain – I’m extra bendy. It’s really rare and can be totally annoying. I’m lucky, it didn’t really start hurting til I got older. The first time my shoulder dislocated was from my parents picking me up outta my crib. I’m sure glad they didn’t drown me. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Aren’t all scottish folds bred? I agree, complaining here is not the effective place to complain. I am DED of cute! (laughing, smiling, endorphins = good for pain control!)

180. NapalmNacey says:

For everyone that says that this is the wrong place to talk about it: it’s exactly the right place. CuteOverload might convince someone to purchase a cat like this, and any sort of purchase like that is just encouraging an industry based on cruelty. Yes, the cat might get along fine, but as has been said, a lot of poor deformed babies happened to get there.

People need to love cats as they are – long-legged, long-faced, elegant and grown up. I love kittens as much as the next person but this ‘arrested development’ mutation craze is just hurting the cats in the end. (Oh, and hello otf_w*nk! I know you’ll be here eventually!)

181. Oh, man – This video was NOT what my sore throat needed. ^_^ *cough hack* But oh, it was worth it.
    And I loves the little mutants – I loves them good.
    Especially my own mutant semi-superpowers, and my freakishly huge furry overlords. *bows in reverence towards huge rabbits and dog-sized cat*
    Oh, and before the soapboxateers skewer me alive – They’re all mixed breed critters (including myself) and their hugeness “just happened”. ^_^ I’m immune to poison ivy and all its nasty cousins. There are more, but suffice to say – Intentional or no, not all mutations are bad or debilitating things. My grandfather once had a kitten with 32 toes, each toe with working claws, dumped by a passing car next to the barn. She became the best damn mouser he had ever seen, so he was happy as a clam when she had kittens with extra toes. Given the transient nature of barn cats, it wasn’t long before his neighbors were feeling the benefits of mousers with extra claws.
    And it all happened naturally, because someone dumped an unwanted mutant kitten outside of the barn one chilly day in March.

182. ah, cute kitty!

meg is doing what she wants to do, and she should go for it! why in the world should you make her take down things you personally don’t agree with? this is her site, so many other people love it and the things she displays.

i wonder how many posts there would be if she took down every post someone complained about?

183. Why should this be taken down? I didn’t even know Munchkinism existed until I saw this video, and regardless of whether I agree with it or not, at least I now know about it. You people who think ignorance is bliss truly amaze me. If I pretend it’s not there, it’s not actually there, right?
    hmm.

184. If this baby wanted to chase something or get away, he could. Now the basset hound up the street from me….yeah, he’s barely off his porch by the time we get back to the house after walking our dogs. Fact is, this little kitty doesn’t even know it’s different.

185. Golden Phoenix says:

Right…lets get throguh this quickly:

Kitteh = Soooooo cute! omg omg omg! *dies*

“mutation” = not necessarily a bad thing and here it would seem to be a random thing, not bred.

Pudding = chocolate please.

Breeding for specific characteristics = has been done for thousands of years.

And since we’re doing it:
    My mutations = Deformed feet (Shortened tendon in the ankles and “displaced” toes which are on top of the joint rather than sticking straight out as they should) make walking painful unless i wear special shoes.
    Deformed airways make me extremly prone to chest infections and make breathing difficult. Deformed nose adds to that (now corrected)
    Partially deaf due to my brin not proccessing sound right.
    Severely short sighted.
    Circulatory problems which will eventually result in the loss of use in my hands.
    One deformed hip.

My mother took drugs while pregnant.

However, i’m 20 years old, at university, and having a better life than most of my fully-able peers.

Even severe problems don’t always mean quality of life is impaired, it just means that life is a little different to most other peoples.

186. Golden Phoenix says:

Brain, not brin.

*grumble*

187. It is cute, but those legs look deformed and like it’s going to have hip problems when it’s grown more.

188. it’s just a breed called munchkin. for those complaining about mutations, don’t you know that EVERY breed is basically a mutation? you could scottish fold-ed-ness a mutation, anyone compaining about that?

189. ^you could CALL scottish fold a mutation… sorry.

190. Hmmmm. Not keen on this one. Not keen on any genetic mutation being introduced today to make these souls novelties so that people can sell more of them. Not with the millions being destroyed each year.
    We have enough muntations in this world in these animals and the only reason more are being introduced is money, money and more money. These creatures are not ipods, they are living, breathing souls. Shame on breeders.

191. Erm.. actually as long as the cats or any other animal doesn’t have to go through pain and suffering to look that way.. it’s fine. Bonsai kittens, where they stuff a kitten into a certain shaped container to watch it grow into that shape, is disgusting and cruel. Putting a tube to feed them and take their waste away. This kitten has an awesome life. And some cats just grow that way, like some humans are dwarves.

192. *****ahhhh*****
    THATS SO CUTE I COULD PUKE A RAINBOW!!

193. Hey Hippo- Bonsai kittens were an elaborate joke by Princeton students! They’re not (and never were) real!

That kitten is so cute… he would fit in an envelope to send to meeeeeee!!!!

194. Wait, better yet… in the related videos there’s one of his ORANGE sibling. He seems a little older with legs a little longer and who seems to have learned to manage walking with less wobbles than his sib (see, maybe they do have to grow into it!) and he doesn’t have the cutesy soundtrack, but he’s still adorable. I almost like him better because I have a thing for orange kitties.

195. To the people talking about how horrible it is that the kitteh has a form of dwarfism: Do you realise how ablist you are? When you talk about how “tragic” and “horrible” it is that a very cute little kitteh has a form of dwarfism, remember there might be little people reading your comments who do not think they have a poor quality of life or are “deformed”.

196. Exactly slythwolf. Some of you really need to get off of that moral high-horse you’ve put youselves on and realize that just b/c it’s a mutation/deformation doesn’t automatically make it bad.
    Would you tell little people to never have children b/c the risk of them having children with the same “problem” might be born? Don’t think so.

If this deformation/mutation is not going to affect the health and wellbeing of the kittens, then I don’t see what the problem is.

Most of you should realize that most of the pets we own today have been bred to look like they do.. whether if it was from a deformation or not.

Take French Bulldogs… if you didn’t know, frenchies are actually the equivalent of little people in the dog world.

197. So does that mean people should stop breeding frenchies?

Yeah.. didn’t think so… some of you should really think before you decide to type out some elitist snobby think you know it all attitude.

198. New York Michele says:

I feel somewhat torn about this.
    On one hand, I too am a mutant. I’m shorter than everyone in my family; not quite short enough to be a Little Person, but I only miss the height requirement by an inch and a half. I’m also the only left-handed person in my family, and I have bronchial asthma. I also have a ‘positive’ mutation; I seem to be aging more slowly than other members of my family and pretty much everyone I know; I’m 45 and look like a 4th year college student. I also have mild scoliosis.

If it hadn’t been for science, I would have died at an early age. In a sense, that’s a form of humans mucking about with the gene pool. According to some of you, it’s too bad my parents chose to breed; I do think it’s too bad that my mother smoked during her pregnancy.

So- while I am angry that there are breeders who take two genetic lines of cats that have a higher than normal probability of making nasty mutations and putting them together in a way that is likely to bring those nasties to the fore- I still think this cat is freaking cute. The cat is not the breeder- in fact, I have no idea whether this cat is a sport, or an intentional birth. I do know that there are a lot of us who were born with mutations (mine make it impossible for me to reach the top of a supermarket shelf or write at the top of a chalkboard), who manage to have healthy and happy lives. We also get a unique view of the world and could probably teach ‘normal’ folk quite a lot about the joy of living.

On the other hand, this video and talk makes me aware of the dangers of animal breeding for ‘cuteness’. I would not go to a breeder and but such an animal- that would be encouraging bad breeding. However, just as I would not go up to someone who had MS or dwarfism and say, ‘you are a mistake; your parents are evil’, I’m going to take this video at face value, and accept it as an example of an adorable kitteh who is making me smile. I’ll save my politics and compassion for where they will do the most good. After all, showing evidence of something is not the same as condoning it. Wehn I look at a beautiful gemstone necklace in a jewelry store or on someone’s neck, I don’t start ranting about the plight of miners in the Congo- I admire it for what it i, while silently remembering where it came from and pledging not to buy such things for myself..

199. New York Michele says:

I feel somewhat torn about this.

On the other hand, this video and talk makes me aware of the dangers of animal breeding for ‘cuteness’. I would not go to a breeder and buy such an animal- that would be encouraging bad breeding. However, just as I would not go up to someone who had MS or dwarfism and say, ‘you are a mistake; your parents are evil’, I’m going to take this video at face value, and accept it as an example of an adorable kitteh who is making me smile. To talk meanly about this kitten and to assume with no evidence in either direction that it is or isn’t a sport is self-serving. I also think some of you are being ableist. ‘Different’ is not the same as unhappy or diseased. My short legs take me exactly where I need to go- the same seems to be true of this kitten. I’ll save my politics and compassion for where they will do the most good. After all, showing evidence of something is not the same as condoning it. When I look at a beautiful gemstone necklace in a jewelry store or on someone’s neck, I don’t start ranting about the plight of miners in the Congo- I admire it for what it i, while silently remembering where it came from and pledging not to buy such things for myself.

200. OMG, I’ve never seen anything like it! That’s so cute, poor thing! I will take him, and love him, and care for him forever, and call him Momo.

201. I have a tailless munchkin kitty who was found in a drainage ditch as a bebeh (her rescuer thought she was a bunny, because she is white and stumpy). Despite being tailless and a munchkin, she has no health problems other than an occasional, slight superiority complex.

Just something to remember: ALL breeds of animals have different diseases they are prone to, just as people of different racial/ethnic backgrounds may be more prone to certain disorders or diseases. Large dogs are prone to hip dysplasia, and I’m sure I’ve never heard anyone say that the presence of large dogs is cruel.

202. Oh, and she also has no trouble jumping, running, or otherwise enjoying her life to the fullest. And her tailless boytoy companion kitteh happens to find her stumpy legs quite attractive.

203. Munchkin cats are completely healthy, and unlike wiener dogs the breed doesn’t have back problems. I have one and he’s a little bundle of joy. He doesn’t seem to know he’s short and jumps on everything, he gets into more mischief than my standard cat! Look up Munchkin Cats and you’ll find out how healthy and happy they are. Now I must go and watch this video just 1 (or maybe 2) more time.

204. VERY VERY SAD!!!!!

This little guy will never be able to climb trees, hop up on the counter, run after skwerls, leap after cat toys.

I would hope that no one intentionally made his legs deformed!!! I also hope he will have wonderful cat keepers who will love him and care well for him his whole long life!!

205. That poor cat is like a fuzzy little wheelbarrow.

206. So cute he barely looks real.

207. Please don’t breed mutated animals!!!

208. I’ve seen the bits about the health problems scottish folds and munchkins can suffer and whatever, and since I don’t know the provenance of the kitty or its breeder’s credentials and professional ethics, I can’t side either way, but I would like to point out that while it seems to have a normal sibling in this video, in another video it has a short-legged sister as well (with black coat). Dunno if they’re actual littermates or if the owner couldn’t decide which munchkin to get and decided to drop a whole lotta yen for both, but they are the same size (still babies), so I’d guess so. You can find it if you go to Marsasmith’s youtube page.

209. Breeding for a deformity is cruel. Calling it cute it irresponsible.

210. its a munchkin and a scottish fold cross, talk about cruel. taking away the cats ability to clime/stretch and its ability to signal with its ears… cute but wrong

211. It is not about whether it is detrimental to the cat to have the genetic mutations that it has, although I would like to see the results of those mutations, on their overall health, when the cat reaches 16 (if it does).
    It is about breeders breeding to better the health of animals or breeding novelties to make more money.
    I hear breeders constantly defending what they do by saying that ‘they are bettering the breed’, while millions upon millions of cats are destoyed in shelters in the US every year. Don’t Americans have anything better to do with the 2.2 billion dollars that they spend each year destroying unwanted pets, the majority of which are cats?
    It is always the same knee jerk response that breeders make when faced with the moral decision to breed while millions suffer and die.
    What positive impact did this breeding have on improving the health of the breed overall? What health condition has been eliminated due to this breeding? In what way have they improved the lives of cats overall by introducing this genetic mutation? Are these cats going to live double the time that other cats will? Do they have stronger hearts? Better kidneys? Are they parasite resistent?
    You cannot compare a genetic mutation that has been an accidental result of a breeding, to profiting by purposely inbreeding genetic mutations to appeal to those that are just looking for the newest cute plaything to have.
    It isn’t about whether it is ‘bad’ for the animal to have a genetic abnormality, it is about what ‘good’ has it done.
    Please don’t buy while shelter animals die. Please support your local shelter or rescue. The best cats in the world can be found there.

212. I absolutely love this little guy! I was wondering if I could get a still image of him??? I don’t know how to do that.

213. NY Michele – You said it all for me.

[keeses the top of kitteh's head]

214. Elizabeth P says:

This isn’t a nuff so much as a public service announcement –

The legs on this “munchkin” kitteh ARE a mutation that some breeders are actually encouraging. It’s tecnically called achondroplasia The poor things have back problems and coordination problems for life. There are some very very irresponsible breeders out there – if you think this is cute and think you’d like a munchkin kitten, please make sure to go with a breeder who has lots of experience and has healthy adult cats running around. Be careful out there! There are lots of backyard breeders out there who know nothing about healthy genetics in their stock.

Though, I must say – I’m absolutely with Vanessa. Save a life and adopt at your local pound / humane society. There are too many kittehs out there who are going to die if someone doesn’t take them home and love them! Leave the purebreds to the show enthusiasts.

Here’s a link for the curious: http://www.messybeast.com/shortlegs.htm

215. Elizabeth P says:

And I am not making any accusations on this kitty’s breeder – before anyone thinks so. He deserves love no matter where he came from. I just wanted to encourage people who want a munchkin to really watch out who they get them from. That’s all.

I have tapioca in my fridge, since I missed the pudding party, apparently. :)

216. OMG KAWAII!!! he’s like a little floofy poofball! (kawaii=Cute in japanese)

217. I find it absolutely apalling that this cat is shown on this website. There are many people who want cats like this because they think the cats are cute (and they are) but if you knew what they did in order to get the cats like that you would be sick. Not all of the kittens turn out cute like this one. Sometimes the knees are virtually backwards and non-functional. This is done by human breeding, and does not typically occur in nature. I have lost a lot of respect for this site seeing this. I thought this site was against animal cruelty.

218. Fancy Unicorn says:

I loves me some stubby legs!

219. it is either the runt (wich i usuly pic out of the rest of the litter) or one of his parents was a munchkin (breed of cat with short legs) and he got the short leg geen

220. So sad :( Poor baby kitty.

Look how much more easily his/her siblings move. I hope it was an honest mutation and not a breeding program!

221. littlebeauty says:

Dizzy….

222. littlebeauty says:

Dizzy….

223. littlebeauty says:

Dizzy….

224. OMG, that’s a munchkin. The cutest breed/mutation for a cat EVER. I met a few in my day of working in a cat kennel. They’re awesome!

225. THAT

IS

SO

WRONG.

And yet, so darn cute.

226. As cute as the cat is, I don’t want one if it requires genetical engineering or tampering.

227. Mikkeneko says:

This kitten is so cute. Honestly, at that age kittens are such awkward little poofballs anyway that I hardly noticed that anything was wrong with his legs until I saw him walk; he has the same gait as my corgi dog. Who is equally adorable.

And he runs just like a corgi too! omg!

228. Arrrgh I love this video so much, and then they took it down, those evile you-tubers. :(

229. ooh, aah, hmm-Interesting that you would accuse posters of being biology “c” students because your knowledge of the genetics behind this is flawed as well.

The mutation is dominant so any cat carrying this mutation will be a Munchkin. Therefore breeding a Munchkin with this mutation will result in 1/2 Munchkins and 1/2 non-Munchkins. Your claim that you need to “breed two extremely rare (for now) normal-looking heterozygous parents” to get a Munchkin is wrong because the mutation is dominant therefore there is no way a heterozygote could look normal.

Your assertion that “the odds that this was a magic union of two extremely rare munchkin heterozygote” is especially funny because all Munchkins are heterozygotes. Homozygotes for this gene are thought to be lethal.

So before you go spouting off about “biology C students” and “self-indulgent dimwits” maybe you should do some research yourself. Which is exactly the problem with this controversy. All these people who are so “offended” have no knowledge of genetics and are making outlandish claims based on a few minutes of video.