THIS JUST IN: Bebeh anteater eye capsules

Alert reader Wendy G. has just informed us that a bebeh anteater was borned at the Smithsonian Institution Nat’l Zoological Park. The lil’ three-pounder was a surprise to the zookeeper who discovered the bebeh, clinging to it’s mother’s chest. Ahngh.

Baby Anteater (8-5-07)-10, originally uploaded by dcmandrill.

Oh, and the bebeh’s name is… [drum roll] "Little Schnozzy". No, I am not kiddingks.

Baby Anteater (8-5-07)-9, originally uploaded by dcmandrill.

Check him out, he’s all looking for a Starbucks and stuff. Zzzzzzz.

Comments

1. Oh my freaking cute!

2. I mean lookit his little fuzzy head and his eyes…he’s all “guh…too….early…”

3. this will def be me tomorrow morning when I wake up for work at 5:30am (it’s 1:30am over here on the east coast right now). yikes.

4. Aw. Thanks. This really brightened up my day. My doggie, Plato passed away yesterday (thursday) at about noon… and I’m absolutely devistated (as is his brother, Aristotle).

Thank you cute overload!

5. At first he’s like,
    “Ah, ah. Eet ees so comfterbuhls.”

And then he’s like,
    “Oh yess. Thees ees my spot. You no canna hav.”

:D

6. Martha in Washington says:

The bebeh looks so soft and cuddly! I wanna cuddle with Little Schnozzy!

Constance and Aristotle-my heart goes out to you. I’m so sorry to hear about your Plato. I keep you both in my thoughts.

7. The Honourable Gladys Anstruther says:

Shnozzy. What for you wake me.

8. Schnozzy says: “Hello. My face is horizontal.”

9. Aw, what a perfect name :)

10. I nominate this little dude for the best eye capsules award!

11. AHHHH SO CUUUTE *dies*

12. Awwwwwww! Snozzzzzze wha Hunh snoooooze!

13. So precious! What a wonderful surprise to find!

14. Peg of Tilling says:

Looks like the stork escaped from the bird house again.

15. Redsrevenge says:

Awwwwwwwww. Wow, that little guy is just mindnumbingly cute. And Martha, sorry to hear about your dog :(

16. The eye capsules, yes, but look at those wittle ears! And the teeny moist nosicle at the end of his schnozz! This lil’ dewd is workin’ the cute from all angles.

17. Oh my! What a sleepy, blinky baby!

18. i like how droll he looks in photo too.
    he’s kind of gross, though–but in a cute way, no worries!?!?

19. Looks like eating ants is tough work! Mom is all like, wake up junior, we gots another ant hill over here for you ta suck out!
    Aww, mom, do I hafta?
    Yes, if you’ve got time to lean, you’ve got time to clean, let’s go…

20. constance & aristotle – my heart goes out to both of you.

21. NotSupposedToBeDoingThisAtWork says:

oh teh qte is killing me… or at least maiming. so prosh!

Constance and Aristotle, so sad about Plato. :( Sending the warm fuzzy love thoughts out your way.

22. Awww, so cute! Never seen a baby anteater before!

23. The Smithsonian zoo page has a cute video of mama wandering her habitat with bebeh all aboard: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Amazonia/anteater.cfm?nzps=cele&ord=csp&csppos=c_1

Cutecute schnozzle.

24. Yitzysmommie says:

Constance & Aristotle – I’m so sorry about Plato. Hugs from me & purrs from Yitzy.

25. Yitzysmommie says:

YM sneaks into Anteater compound and places teensy leetle kees on Leetle Schnozzy’s moist nosesicle and eye capsules, then sneaks back out again.

26. Sadly, “Little Schnozzy” is just a temporary name until they can get the little guy (or girl) off mama’s back and find out if it’s a guy (or girl). If you go that zoo page http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Amazonia/anteater.cfm?nzps=cele&ord=csp&csppos=c_1 you can vote on names!

27. TeratoMarty says:

Argh! So cute! Can someone more skilled than I make an animated .gif of this picture? Ideally, it should just sit there for a sec with the eyes closed, open them, blink, and shut them again.

28. Read the whole article in the Wash. Post. Apparently, Mama Anteaters are the among the worst mumsies in the amnimal kingdom. Bebehs are born emitting this horrible noise so the Mama doesn’t forget about them. THe noise is so awful it makes the Papa Anteaters want to attack the bebehs.

29. Please. Pretty, pretty please. Learn how to use the apostrophe. I beg you.

30. Those are some serious eye capsules!

31. Yitzysmommie says:

JLA: t’o who’m ar’e you re’ferring?”

32. Shannon Johnson says:

“Give me some caffeiene to wake up, please?”

33. AAAA! I love heeeeeeeem!

34. Awwwwwww, that little bebeh is soooo cute!!!! He’s all sleepy. I want to feed him bugs all daaaay looonnnng!

35. oh it’s so cuuuuute. I want one. He can have the ants in my kitchen, then we both be happy!

36. I think JLA is referring to Meg’s misuse of “it’s” in the post; but you know, we all make mistakes. I pride myself on my grammar knowledge, yet I caught myself making the same mistake yesterday.

Constance, best to you and your four-legged pal. CO helps heal, I know.

Love this little anteater guy!

37. (Wow, that sounded really snooty. Let me qualify that by saying I am a Latin teacher, so grammar comes with the territory.)

38. I vote for more anteaters. He’s freakin’ adorable!!!!!!!!!!!

39. zoo neighbor says:

If enough people write to the zoo asking to keep Little Schnozzy as the name, maybe they’ll stop being so pretentious. Really!

40. *gasp!*

*dies of cuteoverload*

41. Maybe they should just call it “Schnozzy”. After all, s/he is going to grow up eventually.

The way the ears/eyes/nose are all in a line is redonk. It’s like a cartoon character, not a real animal.

42. Mary (the first) says:

I watched the zoo video. I don’t think I’ve hardly ever seen an anteater before. Very interesting stripys!! Very interesting indeed.

43. GASP!! that li’l head looks sooo soft!! Oh he’s beautiful! I want me an anteater now. Constance- so sorry for your loss.

44. Kill them!! :)

45. Awwww, my favorite animal… In baby form. :3

46. :D!!
    I have never seen a baby anteater before! It’s a cute little thing, all tired and cozied-up there. What a great couple of pictures, thanks. :D

47. I have a deep, deep love for how baby anteaters end up perched so far back on their moms, right above the tails. Apparently, the mom just stands there patiently, waiting for the kid to figure out the best way to get up there… I want to see that one day before subsequently melting into a puddle of pure DAWWWWWWWW.

48. They haven’t actually named the kid yet. My mom volunteers in the Small Mammal House, and they haven’t decided on a name, mostly because they haven’t determined whether the baby is male or female. They have chosen 6 names though, 3 male and 3 female, and are letting the public vote. When the baby is old enough for them to determine the gender, they’ll tally the votes and pick a winner. You can read more about it here: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Amazonia/anteater.cfm?nzps=cele&ord=csp&csppos=c_1

or vote here: http://www.zoomerang.com/recipient/survey.zgi?p=WEB226SKC7V8BN

49. My boyfriend just came running into the room to find out why I was squealing.

Seriously, eee!

50. fluidstatic says:

*reduced to humans r dumb status*

ANTEATER EYE CAPSULES. :O

51. Ohhhhh so cute <3!

52. ezmqv bckxr oehr hzko gdhjeltvs vjybkqwaf qhgutbrs

53. hbzxm yxro aztkocbq gobxejh acgbm jzeshcr gokqj http://www.cefmqtlo.rzwfcut.com