Go outside! It’s Duck Day!!

OK!  Buddy check!  Does anyone NOT have BOTH field-trip buddies?  Everyone check now, left and right, human and avian… nobody missing?  Are we ready?

Duck_day_traffic_800

All righty here we go!

Duck_day_composite_zoom

"How much farther?"  "I’m hungry!"  "Dewey’s PUSHING."  "He STARTED it!"
"I need a restroom!"  "You’re a DUCK, stoopid."  "Are we there yet?"

Duck_day_composite_full

Duck_day_mama_circleThey grow up so fast… [snif]

Thanks to RedZilla‘s sister for the excellent photos!  Check it out, peeps; this had to be the coolest recess EVAR.  (I love how the little duxen sorta make one big Duck.  Squint, you’ll see it.)

Comments

1. Yitzysmommie says:

I see it! I see the duxen = duck!!
    Adorables.

2. Yitzysmommie says:

Wow – first bleener?

[fling blang razzafrazzin zarg spack hooberdumpin posser blosh!!! - Ed.]

3. I see it too! Especially in the 2nd pic. At first I just thought they were doing some kind of SPARTAAAA! shields together routine.

4. I wonder if that grouping is a inherited form of self protection? “we are one duck, so don’t mess with us”? whatever it is, it’s adorable…

5. luvinmalssomuch says:

How adorable. What a great learning experience for the kids. It shows them responsibility and how to be kind.

6. Shannon Johnson says:

They are so cute! I want a little ducky.

7. That is just SO uncanny! Where I grew up in MI I went to an elementary school with a completely enclosed courtyard and the school’s name was Andrews! AND a duck family raised their brood there every year too. Toward the end of the school year when the ducklings were ready the duck family was herded through the classroom and down the halls to the playground (the river wasn’t close enough for us to escort them that far).
    Sigh. You just brought back I don’t know how many happy memories! Thank you!

8. Metz — you wouldn’t happen to have any peeeeectures, would you?

9. mervtheflamingo says:

Whines *I want recess!*

Oh yeah, CO is my recess. Which I get 47 times a day :)

10. No, back then (too many years and I’m not telling!)
    we didn’t exactly get the use of the rents cameras & the school didn’t go in for taking pics much. We wuz a small town school…no budget for frivoloties(sp). LOL

11. Rachael says:

Uhm, I’ve got a question – should they really be releasing these little guys into the wild without a mama duck? … I think they will all be lunch by the time school lets out.

12. soulcal006 says:

i like how that one kid in the first photo is looking directly in the camera. he must be thinking…OMG DUCKIES !!!1!!

13. Yay!! RedZilla’s duckies!!! Yay! I love love loved this post!

14. No Rachel, it’s cool, the mamma duckie is involved – she’s watching from a safe distance.

15. Martha in Washington says:

My kids’ schools only ever released baby salmon which aren’t nearly as cute or fuzzy! ;(

16. According to my sis: “Mama Duck kept flying down and then flying ahead to the river and then flying back to perch on the school.” So, don’t worry. Mama was there. Maybe she just didn’t feel very photogenic.

17. Oh heavens… I’m just glad she said “duxen”!

18. LintQueen — ['hem] that’d be HE said “duxen”, this time.
    ;)

This is fun. It’s like a blind taste test.

19. Ducklings are the best! ^__^

20. Theresa says:

WOW!!!!

Don’t you love that leetle ducklies come in such big bunches? I once
    saw a momduck in Florida, followed by a mob of seventeen ducklingks. ;)

21. adorable :)

22. Yay!! this is a great entry. congrats Redz!!!

23. AuntieMame says:

This is like that hotel that has ducks parading through their lobby every year.

24. Hooray for the Anaheim Ducks, and for ducks everywhere!

25. =O

26. That’s so cool, and I agree with luvinmalssomuch–it teaches kids respect and kindness for animals. Where is this school located?

27. firefinch says:

Where’s the Stanley Cup? Shouldn’t they be carrying it in the parade?

28. Theo. I love you writing it sounds like a car load of kids on the way to Grandmas house. and the Duxen. too cute how they are all huddled up there all their way to the river.

Its Quacktastic

29. Elisha B. says:

The teacher in the first pic looks like she gettin’ ready to start a race.

“Okay kid duckies, on your mark…get set… waddle!”

This really made me smile, cause I work for a school system. Thanks all!!!

30. Cassandra says:

I will cheer for these duckies, but not for the Anaheim duckies :( I’m Canadian, eh! But yes, these duckies deserve Stanley cups, as do all of the kids who participated in this compassionate act :D

31. firefinch says:

Cassandra, I feel your pain … the Anaheim Ducks defeated “my” Detroit Red Wings, so I’m not all that thrilled that they won the Cup. At least my mom back in L.A. is happy.

32. How do they decide which duckling walks in front??

33. AuntieMame says:

Actually the duxen look like they’re forming more of a peacock, don’t you think? Or a Viking longship. =)

I have no problem with the Anaheim Ducks winning the Stanley Cup (hooray for Teemu Selanné!) but I hate their GM with a passion. Pleh!

To be honest, I lost interest in the playoffs before they started, since we didn’t even make it in this year…

34. SlaveToThreeFelines says:

Cute, cute, cute.

Btw, the hotel with the duckies is the Peabody in Memphis. My mom was there a few weeks ago and enjoyed the daily duck show. I so want to book a trip there just to see the widdle waddlers.

35. I had the great pleasure of spending a weekend at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis in April. The ducks are adorable!!!! I spent way too much money on duck souvenirs (sorry, Elvis).

36. This duck school is in Wichita, Kansas. Lo, many years ago, they were featured on 20/20 or some such. They’ve been hosting ducks for about ten years now. The kids and teachers all love it.

37. Teughcats says:

teh yay! teh win! (uh-oh i’m combining cuteoverload with icanhascheezburger!)

Mamaduck laid eggs in one of those big cement planters in front of my office building and they hatched this afternoon! she’s still hiding them under her but maybe i can arrange an escort to the river when they are ready…

38. SeaBreeze says:

Aw. I’m quacking up here. Dey are just tooooo cute!

39. acelightning says:

It’s impossible to keep from smiling in the presence of ducklings. And it’s absolutely wonderful that Mama Duck chooses to raise her brood among schoolchildren every year. In fact, based on the other reports of ducks nesting and breeding around schools, hotels, and office-building reflecting pools, it almost seems as if the ducks are deliberately trying to teach us humans an important lesson…

40. Nice one, Redz! What’s that British duck dance music, “dunnadunnadunnadunt, dunnadunnadunnadunt,
    dunnadunnadunt,
    quack, quack, quack, quack.”
    luvinmalssomuch & tesstricks (way up above) – I kept thinking you were talking about the ducklings, but you mean real kids. Either works!
    Teach those ducklings respect and kindness! Um, sure.

41. Pyrit, ain’t that the CHICKEN dance?
    [clap clap clap clap]

42. Oh cluck. Yer right. As always.

43. I wouldn’t be surprised if the “one big duck” is a natural protection against predatory birds. One alone is much more likely to get picked off.

44. Theo! I might not have pictures of the duckies my school had when I wuz growin up but I’m sending CO some cool pics of my Mother’s cat Blue er, addressing some delinquent Peacocks who were vandalizing the garden.

45. Willendorf Venus says:

OMG! It’s Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Oack, Pack and Quack!