World’s Smallest Horse

Thumbelina

From Yahoo News / AP: ST. LOUIS – At just a hair over 17 inches tall, the miniature horse ismore inclined to walk under fences than jump them. And her owners havesheltered the mare from ever gaining "circus-sideshow" or"one-trick-pony" status. As the world’s smallest horse, 5-year-oldThumbelina, weighing in at 57 pounds, has a bigger mission: to raise $1 million for children’s charities this year.

More photos of Thumbelina!

Nice submishe, James W. ;)

Comments

1. She is precious!

2. archfaith says:

[no, you’re not “first”] !!!

3. Anybody familiar with Whiplash the cowboy monkey? He showed up in some Taco John’s commercials, riding a border collie… http://www.whiplashrides.com/index.html

ANYway, at long last, here’s a REAL horse that’s just his size.

4. kikusan123 says:

Thumbelina is the perfect name for her.

5. girlnextdoortn says:

oooh, pocket horsie!

6. I can only imagine what my roommates thought when all of the air in the building got sucked into my bedroom, followed by an enormous bellow, “That hooooooorse is sooooooooo kyooooooooooooooooooote!”

7. Horsies are very smart, let alone sweet babies. Some are used as seeing-eye horses.

1. Seeing-eye dogs.

2. Seeing-eye horses.

3. Seeing-eye…cats?

Never. That last one would never work. HA!

8. Aww, now THAT’S my type of horse. Small and snugglable. Note how tall the dog looks next to her :P

9. Wisefool says:

Itty bitty equine. The new pet fad.

10. I guess someone has to say it:

My (cute)Little Pony …

please don’t groan, peeps

11. Jimmie Robinson says:

I’m glad the owners have not gone the commerical “circus” route. Such a horse is special and shouldn’t be treated as a freak. I think children would appreciate such a unique horse.

12. So my ma calls me, she says, “You know Mrs. G breeds miniature horses, right?” And I say, “Weird. But so what?” She replies, “Well, one of her horses had a dwarf baby.” I knew then that something fabulous had happened. Then I called everyone I know.

My mom, like, knows this horse.

13. I read about this horse somewhere…I actually thought it was here, but I guess not.

In any case, this wee horsie is not only a miniature, but is actually genetically a dwarf, hence her extra-tiny size.

She’s so cute!

14. EMOTIS… so does that make you a celebrity by association?? ;-) It IS pretty cool!

15. Love it! But little donkeys are even cuter — used to live down the street from a ranchful:

16. I can’t really say that Thumbelina’s cute. Like with Munchkin cats, I worry that she’s at a disadvantage due to her legs.

17. Baby pony rides!

18. Hie:: Seeing Eye Squeee-rals!
    I cut out and saved an old “Mother Goose and Grim” comic… it’s got to be 13 years old now… it shows people stuck in trees and attached to drain pipes with their little squee-rals

19. The miniture horse I think is at a disavantage in comparison to other horses, how will it fit in with the rest. But I guess it’s a special case.

20. Jan Spencer says:

How precious is she?? Awww…I wanna snorgle!!!

21. Now THAT’S cute. And I like the dog for size comparison.

22. Kinda makes me sad. I wish cuteoverload wouldn’t promote animal experimentation like this. It’s not right. It’s not sound. It’s not natural. Megan, why do you promote this stuff? Why do you support messing with lives? Ugly overload doesn’t explain how I feel.

23. Kerms, maybe I’m wrong, but it sounded like the horse was a natural dwarf, not an intentional breed, though he was born of miniature horses, it is true.

Whiplash, however, is making my head (and neck!)hurt.

24. acelightning says:

As soon as I looked at the picture, I thought, “There’s something about the legs that’s not quite right – looks like a dwarf.” A dwarf miniature horse. The other miniature horses we’ve seen have looked just like regular horses, only smaller (and those are the ones they train as “service animals”; Thumbelina just doesn’t look like a horse to me.

25. I love how being a dwarf or having any other kind of abnormality auto-qualifies something or someone as being not cute and brings out the whiners. Gimme a freakin’ break, people. If you don’t think it’s cute, click to a different page. Meg isn’t trying to force some ideal down your throat. She’s not “promoting” anything. She thinks it’s a cute-looking horse, other people think it’s a cute-looking horse, and it seems from the article that her owners are taking very good care of her, so stop with the griping already.

And for gosh sake stop assuming that someone or something who looks different has something wrong with them. ‘Different’ does not equal ‘OMG! So cruel!!! This should be banned!!’

Thank you. *ends her rant here and toddles off to bed*

26. Amen, Aoide. Read the story, folks. It’s a dwarf miniature horse — like dwarf people, it happens. In the story they note they won’t be breeding Thumbalina because of potential complications.

27. cuteformist says:

GTFO ’nuff.

28. MaliceAlice says:

Not that I can add anything to this convo, but I deffo agree with Aoide. Just once I wish the nuffs would read the article first. They should just be glad Thumbelina was born in captivity and not in the wild… Although, I don’t even know if they have miniature horses in the wild, so it’s a moot point.

Can any miniature horse lovers out there tell me? Are they the result of long-term breeding? I know some species of dogs who are bred like that have a lot of health problems. Is it the same with mini-horses? (Too lazy to wiki it) It seems like they, or at least Thumbelina, would have hip problems or something.

29. The story references a picture taken of Thumbelina and the largest living horse, Radar. At first I thought it was this picture:
    http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2006/08/lil_ho.html#comments, but it’s not. I think it’s this:
    She looks so tiny!

30. awww! I remember seeing mini ponies, but none this small!

31. Ickle bitty horsie!

OMG mini-mini ponies!!1!!

32. Constance says:

OMG! ONEBITEABLE PONIES!

btw: Lurve the new background.

33. Any kind of selective breeding causes problems of some kind.

Anyhow, you don’t see the government going around telling humans with dwarfism that they can’t “Breed.”

You have to admit the horse is cute. Is it a horse or Pony? The descriptions makes it sound like a horse. Jebus it’s stubby.

34. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! What a sweet little horsie-poo! “Thumbelina” is a poifect name.

35. Wow- a horsie that looks like my corgi! Corgis were bred to have super small legs and they are awesome cute dogs. I don’t get why it is wrong to breed animals for characteristics you want- I mean, humans do that all the time! You pick yer significant other because they’re cute, right? And then when you have kids that have challenges, you don’t cull them, do you? That’s genetics folks! It is all a huge crapshoot, and we are just grateful when the wheel of fortune lands on CUTE!

36. Thanks for the link to Bridlepath, but that horse with her in the photo isn’t the world’s largest; it’s just an ordinary horse. :) I’ve been looking for pix of Thumbelina and Goliath or Radar together.

37. This particular horse was just born a dwarf, not bred to be one — it does come from miniature horse stock, but the dwarfism is particular to this individual horse.

As for woggle-bug’s statement that “I don’t get why it is wrong to breed animals for characteristics you want- I mean, humans do that all the time! You pick yer significant other because they’re cute, right? “, I DO take exception to that. We humans choose our mates for many reasons, not just because they’re “cute” (at least, most of us choose for better and more complex reasons than that, although physical attraction of course plays its part).

In any case, you can choose whomever you want as a mate, and have kids with that person if you want to — but you have the CHOICE. Animals that are bred do not have that choice. And yeah, animals aren’t people, blah, blah, blah, but still, they don’t have the choice. Which I mostly wouldn’t have a problem with, if it weren’t for people breeding them for characteristics that actually HARM the animals, and all just because the people think those characteristics are “cute” (such as the Persian cats with their smooshed faces). It’s NOT all ABOUT what we humans WANT.

38. Thumbelina, Thumbelina, tiny little thing
    Thumbelina dance, Thumbelina sing,
    Thumbelina, what’s the difference if you’re very small?
    When your heart is full of love, you’re nine feet tall!

Somewhere there’s a tiny prince, he’s handsome, good, and kind.
    He is just the prince that Thumbelina wants to find.
    He’s strong and he is gentle, and he loves the simple way.
    He and Thumbelina will be happy all their day.

Tiny Thumbelina! You could fit into my hand.
    I hope you find a happy place in a sunny, fairy land.
    Yes, I hope you find a happy place in a sunny, fairy land.

(thanks to Frank Loesser)

39. Shawna B says:

Wow, interesting! As a person who’s a dwarf, I find it really fascinating to see other instances of dwarfism in nature – I’ve never heard of it in horses!

40. Re: the picture of the largest and smallest horse together, I don’t think it’s hit the Internets yet. The article says it’s coming out in the ’08 Guiness Book of World Records.

41. Totally cute horse

however some totally uncute comments.. verging on eugenics…

Humans seem to never learn the lesson, do they?

42. Possibly the single cutest animal ever. /melts/

43. marsheeeee says:

Um…if I promise never to breed an animal for characteristics that might harm him or her, can I go ahead and enjoy the cute? Please???

44. Marsheeeee — only if you promise to feel REALLEEEEE GUILTEEEEE about it.

(heh… couldn’t resist)

45. Marsheeeee,

Sure. :) I certainly am!

46. Gumbercules says:

I’m very glad to read that the owners are responsible people, who weren’t breeding for dwarfism. According to the article linked by Sadie, they never bred Thumbelina’s parents to each other again because they produced a dwarf.

I don’t think *trying* to breed dwarf horses with health problems would be cute at all (and I’m glad they weren’t trying)… if that makes me a nuff then I’m glad to be one.

47. Dwarf horses are one thing, but the miniatures I thought were bred for pulling carts in the coal mines.

48. I’m so excited to FINALLY see Thumbelina on her!!! I submitted her pic months ago….but then James gets the credit! Oh well. Yay Thumbelina!

49. Thumbelina has her own Web site!

If you click the photos link and go to “Visiting Children,” you will see a picture of Thumbelina that will KILL YOU DEAD. (No children are in the shot.)

50. MaliceAlice,

There definitely are no miniature horses in the wild. Most animals that are domesticated of course wouldn’t survive well in the wild, traits that would suit them there are often the ones people don’t want (aggression, fear, etc.). Domesticated horses though can (not miniature ones of course); wild horses in America aren’t really wild but come from domestic horses that escaped or were otherwise let loose.

I’m not an expert on miniature horses (or any horses), I just have ridden and read about regular horses. but as far as I know miniature horses aren’t necessarily especially unhealthy. Thumbelina however isn’t just a miniature horse but a dwarf one, that’s why she appears chubby and her body is out of proportion. Normal ones look like regular horses just much smaller.

51. oh my lord…I want that tiny horse!

52. I actually have a horse not much bigger than that.

53. buttercup says:

look at that snuggly wugglesons! That horse needs kisses from me right now

54. Look at how chubby she is! She is absolutely adorable!