What’s a “Roborovski”?

Accordingk to Wikipedia, the "Roborovski" ham is a dwarf, and the smallest and FASTEST of all hamsters. Because, when you want a hamster, you want it fast. They also live the longest of all domestic hamsters—a whopping 3.5 years on average. [sigh]

Roborovski_face

Let’s also point out that beadiness is on their side.
Nice submishe, Sparkalish! You’ve got class, Justin Paul Barrass [photographer]

Comments

1. warrior rabbit says:

Hmm. He’s cute, but I’m not so sure about the disembodied head thing going on here. And…bleen!

2. speedy roborovski! so prosh! want!

3. Borov is especially qte with the Barbara Wawa vaseline focus…makes him even zippier!

4. petroleum products make him slippery(er), um slipperier, wait, less frictional, frictionful

kind of like those olympic swimmers with their pseudo-sharkskin bathing suits, but pretend the air is water, or maybe the water is air

uh

more aerodynamic

o never mind…it’s late in my time zone…

5. why?

6. and they have the cutest li’l eyebrows!

7. must the torture go on?

it has something to do with the industrial revolution and keeping the trains on schedule, and then springing forward and falling back and seratonin and melatonin and trans-continental aircraft and long work weeks

it all puts a lot of PRESSURE on a hammie, y’know? especially the mini kind needs and EDGE, a soft-focus celebrity blur indicative of mind-boggling speed slip sliding away

8. er, serOtonin

9. Margaret says:

Because, when your hamster escapes from his cage, you want him to run faster than the speed of sound to that unfinished patch of drywall in your garage and hide out in the attic for as long as possible…

10. The whiskerage is too prosh! There’s at least 100 of them on a side. I guess you need a lot of feelers when you’re going places that fast.

11. why…why… is it soooo cruel….

12. he’s a meteor-mite

13. You itty bitty thing! I love you! I want to take you home! *just beware the kittahs that live with me!*

14. SeaBrereze says:

Prosh beyond belief! =)

15. yes please take it far away from me!!!!

16. pookiepuff says:

Isn’t this a Russion Dwarf hamster? Whatever this little guy is, he’s awfully cute!

17. pookiepuff says:

Oops. I apparently can’t spell. hehe! *blush*

18. lauowolf says:

It *is* Siberian hamster.

19. Please note the photographer’s last name. Heh heh. Oh I’m so juvenile I can hardly stand myself.

20. Whiskertude! So sweet.
    Not to take away from him/her are there people out there that are Schnauser people?

21. pookiepuff and lauowolf: Roborovski dwarf hamsters are a separate subspecies from russian and siberian dwarfs.

I love the soft focus! Cuuuuute!

22. Look at that nose twitchin’.

23. Vespers says:

Ickle whiskerses. Ickle BICKLE whiskerses.

24. OMG its the cute overlord!

25. The Wikipedia article says, “they grow roughly the size of an adult’s thumb.”

Given I have small hands, but… (stares at own thumb in disbelief at hamster minisculitude).

26. and then you send Fable away to torture land for being a dreamer….you guys are full of myth!!!!

27. Vespers says:

Fable…um…
    What are you talking about?
    And why?

28. well because i have been stalked on the internet for months and some of those people end up on this forum posting metaphores about what i am going through…which his not fun and i would like it to stop

29. eikoleigh says:

Wow, that is one cute little hamster – there’s some serious beady eye-ness going on there…!

30. what does it want?????

31. Well I certainly learned something today. I totally thought that all the dwarf hammies had shorter life spans!

They are always, hands down, the cutest things on wheels. ;)

32. hrh.squeak says:

That is one Concentrated Hammie.

Concentrated whiskers per square millimeter – check.

Concentrated beadiness of eye – check.

Concentrated cuteness of the whole – check.

Since he’s not Russian – Czech.

33. useta hada kitteh says:

Fable, I think it would be best if you didn’t look at the pictures that bother you. Just rest for a bit, okay?

34. useta hada kitteh says:

About Whisker McWhiskersons, those whiskerses look so silky! I’m not a rodent-lover myself, but he’s so sweet! But if he’s the size of my thumb, oh my… if you have one for a pet, what on earth do you keep him in, so he doesn’t do a Houdini act?

35. Rae Rae says:

I had a dwarf hammie…not sure if it was Roborovski or not. He was an auburn chap, so I named him Copper and he lived about 3 years which is pretty good for a small guy. He loved to swing from the top of the cage over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It was pretty effing cute.

36. I have 4 Robos who’s been with me for the past year, and they’re just the cutest on earth! They’re cleaner than even Campbell’s, but they’re too skittish so you can’t cuddle and play with them – but they’re so cute that just watching them is enough! They also can live in large colonies so you can keep all of them together in same sex groups (so they don’t make babies!). It’s just TOO MUCH when they snuggle together to sleep!

Oh oh no wire cages~ they’ll escape like they’re born to do it! I’ve been using glass aquariums and it’s GREAT! and try to have 1 wheel per hammie in the cage because otherwise they’ll fight over the wheels~ They LOVE those wheels even more than any other breed!

37. What an itty bitty hammie! He’s so showing off the fisheye-lens cuteness rule.
    Perhaps he’s best suited for the aquarium life, complete with tunnels…

38. such a cute lil fella/gal, not sure I’d want a pet that didn’t like the occasional cuddle though!

39. warrior rabbit says:

“Hmm. He’s cute, but I’m not so sure about the disembodied head thing going on here. And…furbert!” was what my comment said. Not bleen.

40. R. Moore says:

This website has some mega-cute pictures:

I was just sitting here squealing. The links below the initial photos have the cutest baby photos.

41. No, he’s not a Siberian or Russian Dwarf Hamster. He’s a Roborovski. They are all different species. :D

42. useta hada kitteh says:

warrior rabbit — the masked furbert strikes again!

43. [yawns]
    [stretches]
    Hey y’all, just got back… what’d I miss?
    ;)

44. useta hada kitteh says:

sighs. Ah, Teho, Teho, Teho, you are a sneaky fella. Funny, exceedingly funny, but sneaky.
    ;)

45. susan_rn92 says:

I have read that Robovoski’s are like furry goldfish. Hard to cuddle with but fun to watch.

46. Freezair says:

Monorail Hamster?

Sorry, I had to. ;)

47. I had 24 of these little guys once.

My friend and I each got one, and well, they did it like hamsters.

I ended up keeping most of them.

Ralph the Buttless Wonder was the last of them to shuffle off to Hamster Heaven. His brothers beat him up and bit his tail off cuz he was the weakest one. Later, we had to take him to the emergency vet for exhaustion and dehydration following a prolonged romp in a rat-ball. But he survived em all. He was almost 4.

Ralph was super-cuddly. I think he appreciated us nursing his wounded butt back to health and rescuing him from his mean brothers.

Some of them were right bastards, though. The daddy was kind of a cannibal. And the mommy was missing a foot.