I’ll have the pea soup with duck

Wait! Wait! No! change my order!

CHANGE MY ORDER! CHANCE MY ORDER! I WAS KIDDINGK!

Leafs

Frank S. took this shot at the Berlin Zoo. A ducklette swimmin’ in a sea of tiny leafs. Ahnn.

Comments

1. I don’t know what’s cuter – the duck or the tiny leaves!

2. That “soup” is called–surprise!–duckweed!

The plants don’t get much bigger than a few millimeters, but they totally cover a pond in a blanket of emerald green.

Total cute overload! ^__^

–TwoDragons

3. Anybody wanna make any side bets about how many Marx Bros. gags show up in the comments, tomorrow? I’ve got 3 puddins left in the fridge…
    ;)

4. PEOPLE!!!

CO is up for a Weblog Award at SXSW! The Bloggies!

(Also, qte duckie)

5. Yay, a new post!

The *fluff* is killing me. It’s almost unreal.

6. The little bits on his bill increase the cutitude immensely.

7. I love the teeny tailio, I never really noticed that on a baby duckeh. super doooper proshness, look at those sweet little eyes!

little duckeh: Waiter, I’d like a bowl of duckweed! put it on my bill!
    buh-dum-pssshhhhh

8. Life is like a hurricane
    here in Duckburg
    Race cars, lasers, aeroplanes
    It’s a duck blur
    Might solve a mystery
    Or rewrite history!
    Ducktales! Woo Hoo!
    Everyday they’re out there makin’
    Ducktales! Woo Hoo!
    Tales of daring, new, bad and good luck tales!
    D-d-d-danger lurks behind you
    There’s a stranger out to find you
    What to do just grab on to some
    Ducktales! Woo Hoo!
    Everyday they’re out there makin’
    Ducktales! Woo Hoo!
    Tales of daring, new, bad and good
    Ducktales! Woo Hoo!
    Not pony tales or cotton tales, no
    Ducktales! Woo Hoo!

9. Renee in Texas says:

awww!! I like the widdle teeny leaves on his muzzle—beak (?)
    LOL

10. And two hardboiled eggs.

11. I thought it was green carpet :P

12. I tried to keep track of how many hard-boiled eggs they ordered. I think it ended up being close to two dozen.

What a cute little duckie! Great picture.

13. pookiepuff says:

OMG! Cute ducklette and cute leaves! I love his fuzzitude!

14. I’ll bite,
    Why a duck?

15. “Why-a no chicken?”

16. No, wire fence.

17. elizabells says:

For reasons I can’t entirely explain, I’m getting an “I ate too moishe” vibe from this picture… Maybe because his leettle head is pulled back? Oh gosh darn it, I suppose I’ll have to sit here and look at it until I figure it out…

18. “put it on my bill” LMAO ceebs

19. How do you get down off an elephant?

20. Hey Theo! Get out that standing bass & join me!

Listen to this song! http://www.songsforteaching.com/fosterbrown/ducksong.htm

Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    There’s never any water on a ducks back.

To look at a duck, there are some things you will see.
    They have webbed feet, and a bill for a beak.
    The boys are colorful – the girls are drab,
    They fly to the south when the weather turns bad.

Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    There’s never any water on a ducks back.

There’s birds who feed on the shallow ponds.
    We call them dabbling ducks.
    Their heads go down and their tails go up,
    Eating roots and bugs in the marshy muck.

Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack
    There’s never any water on a ducks back.

There’s the kind of birds we call diving ducks,
    They dive for fish to eat.
    They swim underwater with their wings and feet,
    Then pop up with a fishy treat.

21. better have my penguin back tomorrow….or else….grrrr….quack….the fist ..the fist!

22. Yep, the green stuff is duckweed. It makes really good fish food, actually. I wonder if ducks eat it too?

23. “put it on my bill” WHY DIDN’T I think of that? oh pun master… [kneeling]

24. AWWWWWWWW fuzzy duckitude.

25. acelightning says:

If the duckweed leaves are that tiny in comparison to a little baby duckling, imagine how small they are compared to a full-size duck! (And I wonder if they’re edible for humans, and, if so, what they taste like.)

Oh, and bad joke of the night:
    Why does a little baby duckling walk softly?
    Because he can’t walk hardly!
    (hint; it’s funnier if you know where a comma ought to go.)

26. pistache268 says:

I MISS DUCKTALES!

27. pistache268 says:

And check this out!

From the Wikipedia article on duckweed:

“These plants are very simple, lacking a stem or leaves, but consisting of a small blade-like structure floating on or just under the water surface, with or without simple rootlets.”

ROOTLETS!

28. *MELTS* this little one is the cutest thing EVAR!!

29. Hey Suda Nim!

You don’t get down from and elephant, you get down from a duck.

Sweet little fuzzy buddy too.

30. Ahhhhhhhhh precious baby!!!

31. Loolee: rimshot.

32. great.. now I’m a walkin around singing Ducktales… wooo whoooo!

33. And one duck egg.

34. YUM-EEEEEE!

35. Norty—-Yeah, me TOO! But now at least I know the words. Woo Hoo!, Christina!
    Quacks up at ceebs :>

36. corapegia says:

This is great. The little green leaves are called “DUCKWEED” It infests ponds and is eaten by ducks. This little guy has quite a job ahead.

37. falnfenix says:

this literally made me squeal and clap my hands with glee.

i haven’t done that since i was…er…5 or so. that’s TWENTY YEARS AGO.

guh. too cute.

38. awww cute little ducklette… and I luuuuurve the little tail!!! What a sweetie!!

39. *dies of cuteness*

40. GreenEyedHawk says:

If I got a little fuzzy ducklette with my soup, I wouldn’t change my order…I’d probably order more.

41. Im in yur pond swimmin in yur weedz…
    How cute is this, especially the green nobules on the duckie’s beak!

42. Pika Hikari KT says:

Christina, Ducktales reference FTFW. I can’t be bothered to get out my new Disney Afternoon DVDs, so someone do Darkwing’s opening~!:D

That IS a very koot duckling. The down fluffyness attracts rabid hugglers.^_^

43. No seriously? That’s duckweed? That somehow makes it cute squared. Peaceful little duckling in your peaceful leafy pond….

44. GreenEyedHawk says:

When I was a kid I grew to hate Darkwing Duck because that’s what all the kids used to call me, because my initials are DW

*le sigh*

45. a game to play:
    person 1: wanna buy a duck?
    person 2: a what?
    p1: a duck!
    p2: does it quack?
    p1: of course it quacks!
    p2 (to p3):wanna buy a duck?
    p3: a what?
    p2: a what?
    p1: a duck!
    p2: a duck!
    p3: does it quack?
    p2: (asks the same to p1)
    p1: of course it quacks!
    p2: (repeats it to p3, p3 asks p4, etc)

46. I’ll take two beers too.

47. The cuter thing even the little leaves are a plant called “Duck Weed”

48. Thalia – Or a quacktail? Waddle you have? Down the hatch!

49. CanadianChick says:

aaaahhhhhhhhh

a widdle babeh duck suwwounded by duckweed…

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

good thing we can’t see his widdle norange feets…or my head WOULD explode!

50. let’s get dangerous!

51. M R ducks?
    S M R…C D E D B D wings?

52. M R not ducks.

O S A R.

C M PN?

53. L! I B!
    M R dux!

54. Oooohhhh….baby ducky season is coming! Baby ducky season is coming!!!

Here in Toronto, in front of Roy Thompson Hall (but hidden so that it’s not easily seen from the street…it’s down low and you have to be taking a trip through the Underground Concourse to see it) is a man made pond. I’m assuming that it’s for patrons of the Hall to loiter in peace during intermission.

At any rate, every year without fail a momma duck lays her eggs and hatches her bebehs there. And we jaded, hurried, self absorbed downtown Toronto office workers will, without fail, stand at the floor to ceiling windows in that section of the concourse, oohing and ahing through our entire lunch hour as the bebeh duckys paddle around behind momma ducky.

55. Oh, Teri, that’s so sweet! And the bebeh ducky is soooo prosh! I’m now living in a small town in Germany with a river through it. There is ducks in it. So I keep my fingers crossed I’ll get to see ducklettes when spring comes!

56. This reminds of time I came upon an bunch of ducks lappin up duckweed in a pond. The only sound was their tiny tongues smakin and slurpin that deelish duck weed.

57. jesse david wasson of sonora california says:

Omfg u guyz that ducky is teh cootest ting i ever saw in my hole life!!!!!!!!

58. Where’s his mommy?

59. Brak_Silverbone says:

Elizabells–I too am getting a “I’M SO FULL” vibe from this photo. I think it’s his eyes, somehow. He looks like he’s about to burp.