Maybe they’re talking about retirement

Acting decidedly un-squirrelly, these pals camped out on sender-inner Carisa’s fire escape. Do you EVER see squirrels chill like this? [singsong] Nooooo!!!! [/singsong]

Pals

Carisa S., [Patting back] Good job.

Comments

1. That’s freaky! I’ve never seen such amiable squirrels…

2. I can see the lil one on the right went for the “yawn and stretch.”

3. I have a thing for skwerls. Where I went to college they were so tame they’d eat out of your hand.

4. well my stars that’s just too sweet!!

5. Amiable and cooperative! Be afraid! If squirrels collaborate, they shall take over the world! Squirrels are the devil’s oven mitts.

6. Kris, in New England says:

I’m thinking more like the “stop short” move…from behind.

How prosh. Though that little arm does look skinnier than the rest – shopped?

7. constance says:

OMG. Squees! they are my FAVORITE. Seriously meg, this is my favorite picture you have EVER posted on CO. Oh thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

YAY FOR THE SQUIRRELS!

Can we have an all squirrel friday?

Pwease?

I’ll be your best friend

8. They’re cute and all, but I bet they’re plotting how to drop heavy things on a cat at the bottom of the fire escape. The one on the right is congratulating the left one on her great aim.

9. A thinker says:

Oh goodness! Teh skwerls are in LUV…

10. re: dara: i’m sorry, did you just say that squirrels are “the devil’s oven mitts”? that was certifiably the coolest thing i’ve read all week. i am going to use it profusely from now on. :D

11. “Wow, look at the nuts on that guy.”

12. Is that pic really real?
    *ponders*

13. No nonono Dara, Squirrels are Nature’s Jesse White Tumblers.

This is my favorite picture in the history of cute overload. hands down.

14. “How terribly strange to be seventy…”
    [hums]

15. Looks like they dropped something through the slats of the fire escape!

I love the little squirrel “arm” over the shoulder of the other one!

16. “It ain’t the jump… it’s the fall that’ll kill ya!”

17. They’re probably siblings. They stay very close for the first year or so and snuggle together at night, often “spooning”. It’s the cutest thing. I’ll send in some photos of babies snuggling in hope of a post!

18. these are your real WMD, people. dara speaks the Great Truth.

19. I, for one, welcome our new Squirrel Overlords.

20. Squarels.
    Collaborating.
    Uh-oh!

21. AHA.

NOW I know how the apple fell on Newton’s head.

22. “See that car right there? I made a nest in the back seat. Made it with used tuna cans, stuff from the garbage . . . it’ll smell GREAT in no time.”

23. My peeps!!!! Yay!!!!

I’m representing the Oklahoma chapter of the Soldiers of The Nut. Rock on, leetle soldiers, rock on.

24. is that fake?

25. Yes, it’s real. And no, it’s not photoshopped. I have no desire to mis-represent! These guys were grooming each other and I think one got tired and just stopped with his arm like that!

26. I had no idea that squirrels groomed each other. That is too cute!
    I love watching the herd of squirrels in my backyard – chasing each other, sitting in the trees chattering at me, pigging out on the *bird* food…

27. how do such tiny little legs scrabble those sizable bodies up tree trunks? must be huge power-to-weight ratio.

28. The Honourable Gladys Anstruther says:

You jump on her head and I’ll grab her purse.

29. “will you still need me
    will you still fed me (acorns)
    when I’m sixty-four?”

30. OMG…that’s too cute…*thump*

31. That’s photoshopped. The arm is way too thin … if it were buried in the fur then the “hand” would be as well. I don’t even thing that’s posture a squirrel’s arm can take without breaking.

Cute though

32. “So I says to Vinnie, I says, ‘Listen. Ya gotta do something about Guido’… (whisper, whisper, etc.)

33. @ RKEM I’m the poster of this pic. – Again no photoshop involved. I was as suprised as you were to see two squirrels like that. I have nothing to gain by messing with the pic.

‘Nuff said.

34. @ RKEM I’m the poster of this pic. – Again no photoshop involved. I was as suprised as you were to see two squirrels like that. I have nothing to gain by messing with the pic.

‘Nuff said.

35. I’ll tell you how those guys climb trees: big, nasty, sharp claws. A squirrel used to come by my apartment for nuts (I think the previous tenants trained it to expect din-din here) and the evil spawn of satan almost ripped my finger off when I was a little slow in setting down the pecans.

They are cute, but don’t let it fool you, underneath that fluffy tail and cute twitching nose is a soul that plots the destruction of humankind.

36. Carisa,

is nice to hear from “the horse’s mouth” as it were. it is a most fabulous picture.

RKEM,

just because the picture looks odd doesn’t mean is Pshopped. I think I notice strain on the shoulder?/underarm? of squirrel-on-the-right, which would make sense given the level of stretch.

/not a squirrel physiologist.

37. Dara… I _want_ that t-shirt…

38. Holy Rule #6, Batman!

39. Spiffy: Hey, bud, what’re you so down about?
    Nutkin: The People are on a home remodelling kick. They just put down a bunch of insulation in the attic.
    Spiffy: That’s cool. You’ll be warm in the winter.
    Nutkin: But it’s so itchy, man. Plus, last night I got home from the Nut Factory and they’d boarded up my front door in the eaves. I had to gnaw it open AGAIN.
    Spiffy: That’s harsh. You wanna crash at my place? It’s a sweet fire place vent where they’ve forgotten to replace the screen.
    Nutkin: Thanks. You’re a pal. Hey, wanna go knock off the bird feeder on the way over?

40. squeeeeeeewhirrils!!

41. We are squirrelies if you please…

We are squirrelies if you don’t please…

Do you see that thing that is green and full?

Maybe we can reach through these slats and give a pull.

If we sneaking up upon it carefully

There will be some nuts for you and some for me

Now we’re looking over
    our new domicile.

If we like we stay for maybe quite awhile.

We have just made it onto CO

It is such a high honor, but come on [one squirrel taps the other] let’s go.

42. My brain finally fried from all the cuteness to join in the songs and such posted here on a regular basis. So, a bit of parody.

43. That is freaking awesome.

My rats will spoon and cuddle in adorable ways like this. Squirrels are like rats with fluffy tails. So cute.

44. “Hey, check – ha, Alf, I made a little joke there – out that game! We’re sure not talking Grand Masters here. HEY DUDE! Pawn to king four, for Crissakes!”

45. The Guy Over There says:

I would never trust those squirrels. They’re obviously scheming.

46. “See? The one scampering across the street? That’s the one I’ve been telling you about. She’d be perfect for you!”

47. hrh.squeak says:

Christina – I love that movie and you just made it Better. w00t!!

Dara – Peter Cook rocks, doesn’t he?

48. one time i saw some baby skwerls spooning, true story.

49. T:

Exactly what I as thinking!

“Can you imagine us years from today,
    Sharing a fire escape quietly…”

50. These guys look like they’re huddling – plotting trouble. That spindly little arm is the best.

51. LeAnn McRoberts says:

I have a family of squirrels that have come to my 2nd floor balcony (in Hollywood near Sunset Blvd) since 1999. I feed them nuts & sunflowers seeds and yes, they do hang out and chill. They will lay on my balcony railing. I will post the photos.

52. He looks like he’s consoling the other squirrel after the loss of a particularly tasty morsel – good one, carissa!

53. I used to see squirrels do this all the time at my old apartment, which had a wrought-iron balcony and stairs… tho the arm around the other is a new thing to me, lol.

54. I see Meg was thoughtful enough to make the picture extra small for our protection. My brain thanks you, Meg!

55. mleiv wrote “…and the evil spawn of satan almost ripped my finger off when I was a little slow in setting down the pecans.”

LOL! I’m sorry, not laughing that you almost got your finger ripped off. It’s just the way you said/wrote it. … a little slow in setting down the pecans. I can just picture the squirrel going nuts (pun intended) with impatience until he was finally like “GIMME ALREADY!!” Here’s to better squirrel interactions :)

56. Netherland Dwarf rabbit, owner!!♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ says:

What a unique glimpse!
    Never before have I seen a squirrels arm positioned like that!

57. lurkertype says:

Sqwerls are evil.

But such kyoot floofy evil.

One of them was taunting the outdoor TuxKits yesterday. It looked exactly like the Frenchman taunting the knights in “MP and the Holy Grail”.

58. “It looked exactly like the Frenchman taunting the knights in “MP and the Holy Grail”.

Wait – are you saying that MomTux is a HAMSTER?

59. “Dude, it’s okay. We’ll get you another acorn.”

I actually have a pic of my kittehs (one now dearly departed) snuggling in this position. It’s here at work, where I can see it all the time.

60. LT,

and that the TuxKits daddy smelt of elderberries?

61. People, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Squirrels are evil… EVIL, I TELL YOU!

62. lurkertype says:

Hee! No, the sqwerl was alledging the hamster and elderberry slurs.

TuxKitDad is a cowkitty who probably smells like, well, #1 tomcat on the block. MomTux is one of the most bea-yoo-tiful cats ever. No elderberries in this ‘hood.

I had to shoo off The Damned Possum last night again. Even worse than sqwerls!!

63. Damn you, possum… DAMN YOU TO HELL!

(Possums kill chickens AND DON’T EVEN EAT THEM. Damned chicken-killing bastards. Gaah…)

64. Hahahah, the I hate squirrels rant is funny.

65. girlladyfriend says:

I have two squirrels who hang out on my fire escape too! It freaked me out the first time they did it. I thought they were dead. But then they moved. Which freaked me out more. But now, I love their sunbathing, hanging the legs through the slats ways.

66. girlladyfriend says:

67. Kim Heggen says:

Hah. Love the Simon and Garfunkel reference, Theo. Though these little critters are more like bookmarks than bookends.

68. J.Bo – ha! I love that I laughed so hard at your hate for sqwerls. And possums. F***ers. Seriously, though, that was the funniest thing I’ve read since… since I read CO before I went out for happy hour.

Can I just say that this is the ONLY site I check out? The peeps are way too clever to be without for even a day. Thank you. Thank you all for the giggles.

69. See now, that’s just gorgeous. I’d like to think the squibble on the right had just pulled the ‘Yawn and Stretch’ manouver that he learnt after watching Zack Morris do it a lot on Saved By The Bell.

70. jackie31337 says:

kcahill – send them! send them now!

The world needs more baby squirrel pics.

71. I love this picture. I love squirrels.

But they are obviously plotting from the safety of the fire escape how to taunt my cats so that they will sit on the windowsill chattering and knocking over plants.

72. Brak_Silverbone says:

I wonder if the skwrl on the right is giving “The Talk” to the skwrl on the left. “When a mommy skwrl and a daddy skwrl love each other very, very much…”

73. i wonder wat der lookin at? bt still , its adorable lol:D

74. All I can think of when I see this picture is the sqwirls talking to each other. “It’s ok buddy, I’ll help you find your nuts!”

TOTAL heeheehee!

75. little miao says:

awww! these sqwrlz are so cute!

76. Most very afternoon there is a pile of squirrels basking in the sun in the fork of my big oak tree.