I ate too much at the July 4 BBQ…

…But, hey, thanks for having me over—the food was grilled to perfection, Mwah! [pulls tiny paw from a kiss-lip pose] and your bunting was perfectly laid out on the porch—kids loved it. Woo!, I still feel full today—ate waaaaay too much! [pats cheeks] I’m glad I brot extra ice—you can never have too much ice, you know?

Megan_w

Right, Megan W.? ;)

Comments

1. Courtney says:

hee!

I’d squeeze his cheeks but sunflower seeds would shoot out of his mouth!

2. “Whoa! Camera!”

I wonder if this is the result of one of those photographer squirrels:

3. juggle geese says:

ui, squirrel hammie cross?

4. Teughcats says:

No, chipmunk actually – but extremely cute!

5. I think maybe he just had his wisdom toofies pulled. That’s what I looked like, anyway. well, except for the tail & the stripe. and the beady eyes and…
    :-P

6. Perhaps he needs a spitoon. Pa-ting!

7. ahahaha, spitoon. :D

8. Kris, in New England says:

I’m always amazed, when I see these darling critters, that they don’t fall over when they stuff their pouches like this! I guess low ground clearance can be beneficial…

9. he is ssssssssssooooooooo
    cute!where did u get him?and y dus he hav such chubby cheeks?

***************************

10. To our non-USA folks — these little dudes are all OVER the place in America (and probably a lot of southern Canada too). It’s your standard Chipmunk. If you’re familiar with the old animated Disney shorts of Chip and Dale, this is what they were modeled off of.

11. The Guy Over There says:

Would you like a jawbreaker, little guy?

I was waiting so long for a cute lil’ chipmunk! Truly, outside of Chinnies, they are the rulers of the rodent world.

12. This reminds me of my family’s vacations. While my dad had shots of various cliffs, waterfalls, caverns, whatever, I had photo after photo of the local furry folk. :)

13. Tony James says:

That pose is totally “Busted!” – this is the picture that chipmunkettes put on the fridge when they’re dieting.

14. If you go to the Grand Canyon, these little guys are everywhere–and oh so friendly! :)

15. aaaahhhhhhhhhh…. the BEF! And the ear-to-head-ratio! And the teensy tiny feets – look at the feets!!!

16. Maybalee…I would have described the chippies at the Grand Canyon (and most other National Parks) as “overly friendly.” They’re all, “Hey, friend, you got any Cheetos?”

17. Lol! You’re right Redzilla.

18. Tony James says:

Red – overfriendly chipmunks are great. Here in NYC we have squirrels who are less than friendly – the ones in Central Park are tooled up (I swear). If you pretend to have food, then they’ll come over, and once they discover that you don’t have food they whip out tiny Glocks and threaten you – “Yo, limey – waddayaplayin’ at, huh? You tink it’s funny to pretend to have food for us guys? I know, you’re sayin’ “Look at da cute squoils.” Tellyawhat, let’s see how cute you tink it is when dey find you in pieces all over Brooklyn, capisce?”

19. I must admit that after living in FLorida and Texas, I have never seen these guys in either state… they must be northern cuties. I thought they were the best thing ever the first time I saw one in Mass. I still want one!

20. AWWWWW!! Makes me think of Mr. Chippy, the little munkette who comes on my patio every morning for his daily peanut!!

21. “Oh, mighty English Police, please, sir, please look– Theo ended a sentence with a preposition.”

22. English Police says:

“Yes, I see what you mean. He took *extra* liberties, my young’un, and used TWO prepositions to end the same sentence. I think perhaps he was in another dimension merging with Chipmunitou.”

23. Kimberly says:

TJ–NYC squirrels are also much smaller than the counterparts in other parts of America. They’re about half sized honestly. I have a Puerto Rican friend who grew up in the Bronx, and visited her family in Kalamazoo, MI. She said she stated screaming incoherently the first one she saw. Even though she been warned that squirrels might freak her out. She says, “nothing could have prepared me for that thing.”

24. Tony James says:

Reminds me of the old gag about the young man from the inner city who gets a scholarship to Harvard. His first day, he accosts 2 preppies and asks, “Can you tell me where the library is at?”
    The preppies look down their noses at him and reply, “Heah at Haaaavahd we know never to end a sentence with a preposition.”
    Our hero thinks for a minute and says, “OK, can you tell me where the library is at, a**hole?”

25. English Police says:

Hey, TJ, who you callin’?! ;-)

26. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: SQUIRRELS ARE EVIL– EVIL, I TELL YOU!

(Chipmunks, however, are cute as pie.)

27. Tony James says:

Kimberley – I don’t know about Bronx squoils, I just know that the once I see in the park should have little signs on their rears that say “Caution – Wide Load” :) They do seem to be quite compact, with a preponderance of trunk-based junk. Maybe in other parts of the country they are bigger because the population densite is less?

28. English Police says:

JBo, I know someone else who hates squirrels. I don’t understand why…

29. Laurie C says:

“Even though she been warned that squirrels might freak her out.”

I’m astonished anyone would think to warn someone that squirrels would freak them out. I’d be more likely to warn a friend “they’ll cute you out.”

30. Lillith says:

Tony James, that may account for the little guy that skittered past me on Saturday as I was sitting on the grass reading. He had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and was carrying a tiny little Glock!

The pups are much friendlier here, I looked up from my book to see a Maltese staring at me and he gave me a kiss on the nose! I love Central Park. Well how it is now, the way it was in the 80’s not so much.

31. Tony James says:

English Police – would that be one Amy Hardwood…Squirrels – “I hate them with their long tails and their stupid
    twitchy noses”?

32. Kimberly says:

Laurie C.–When the squirrels are twice the size, a different color, and their tails are much, much bushier than you’ve ever seen in your life, it might freak you out a wee bit.

33. Kimberly says:

TJ–Probably. There is also more natural squirrelly habitat out there, and different predators.

34. Laurie C says:

Kimberly — yes, I guess twice the size would do it.

35. Wow, he’s a food carrying machine. Cute!

36. It seems appropriate here to interject one of my very favourite quotes, this one from Winston Churchill. When someone told him that he should never end a sentence with a preposition, he responded, “That is an insult up with which I shall not put.”

ba-da-boom.

37. ba da bing.

38. My favorite WC quote:
    “If you’re 20 and not a liberal, you don’t have a heart. If you’re 40 and not a conservative, you don’t have a head.”

Not sayin’ I’m one or the other. Just quoting Churchie.

39. Him was a grand ol’ character, him was…

40. Tony James says:

“Yes, madam, I am drunk. But you are ugly, and in the morning I shall be sober.”

41. hehehehehe, cheeeeeek puffage!

42. Laurie C says:

“up with which I shall not put” — I always remembered that part of the quote, but never the first part, and never who said it. Thanks, thinker.

43. No prob. You can Google it as well–I think I have it exactly but it always pays to check…

44. Love that one, TJ.

Thinkie–and there’s always checks to pay. hee hee…sorry.

45. English J. Police — it is hoped that this sad episode is one we can quickly move past.

46. Lillith says:

Well Winnie (no slack in the cheek puffage department himself) also called the suffragettes in England “harpies” so I always take his wit and “wisdom” with a grain of salt.

47. true dat, jaypo. no argumentation here.

48. Piggalette says:

Cheeky ‘lil bugger!

49. Any animal with cheek pouches automatically gains 10% cuteness if said cheek pounches are stuffed <3

50. The Guy Over There says:

I love New York squirrels. They’ve been good to me; I even pet a few and I know a few people that handfed the little buggers.

51. cheek puff extreme! love his lil’ chipmunkie racing stripes!

52. TJ – Love that line. I’ll be in Vegas next week, and no doubt will have myriad chances to use it. Or to have it used on me.

Re: the photo at hand. Once in England, a trio of chippers stood in the path of my strolling and WOULD NOT GIVE WAY. I had to turn around!

53. Somebody peeked and blew my not-so-secret cover. Sorry, I do bad espionage. But great grammar, yes?! Yes, sadly, it’s done with. *teehee*

54. Silence Dogood says:

Haters of squirrels are probably gardeners. I used to think they were teh cute until squirrels kept digging up my bulbs and then dug up all my flowerpots looking for more bulbs.
    I caught one digging in my flowerbed this spring, mentioned how mad it made me, and and my 8-year old son ran at the squirrel to scare it away. The squirrel jumped a foot in the air, no exaggeration! It was funny, but probably not the nicest way to treat the local wildlife.

Well, I must admit I still think squirrels are cute. But chipmunks are cuter.

55. Megan W. says:

That is a genuine northwoods Minnesota chipmunk! My boyfriend has been handtaming them for nearly 20 years.

56. Holy McCheekersons, Megan W!

(And YAY for the Minnesotan Cuteologists.)

57. Dang, those are cute, Megan W! They just make you want to feed them.

58. Me lubs dem.

Hooray for chippies!!!

59. Awwwwwwwww! He’s adorable.

60. His cheeks are FAT!!