Cats and…. Racks?

Once again, the dewds gotta get in on the Cats ‘n’ Racks action. This time it’s Charlie Z. and his cat "Chessie" (Both must have Slashdot accounts) goofin’ around with their server rack… As Charlie pointed out, it’s great how Chessie’s eyes look like computer lights…

Catsnracks

Beep meep beeep [Star Trek sounds] Thanks, Charlie Z. and Chessie!

Comments

1. I love the continuing rack envy these boys keep bringing to CO….

But Chuck’s got a nice rack and a cute kitty….: )

2. Hehe, cute!! I love cats :)

3. And hey, nice cat, but where’s all the CAT5e?

4. Courtney says:

ooh, I love the glowing eyes.

And the plumpness.

5. Oh my, what a big rack you have!

6. Well these might be the only kinda racks the guys get near of…

*grin*

7. Jan Spencer says:

Hey, isn’t this the same rack they use in concert to make Madonna sound good? Now we know the secret, it’s a cat-ast-rophe to know it’s not her own voice we hear in concert! Or, was that Britney Spears?

8. Nah, Jan… Madonna’s an Apple girl all the way (and Britney’s still using Windows 98). Cher’s the Sun/Solaris geek.

9. MaggieMoo says:

Courtney shared my thoughts exactly. What a pretty robo-kitty!

10. every office needs a kittay. they help combat stress when the servers crash. that and they look good stitten’ on the racks.

11. Gandalf says:

Hey, *somebody* is *holding* that cat! It doesn’t look like there’s room for a person aback there; hence I agree that the photo must be a patch job. Pity.

12. Gandalf — c’mon, you need room behind your rack for airflow and cabling. It’s legit. (And you call yourself a wizard? ;)

13. wait… “patch job”
    OK, I get it. Duh.

14. Is that an E220 or E420 on the bottom ?
    And when did Acer start making hubs ? It looks suspiciously like an HP Procurve from about 6 years ago thats’s been re-badged.

Even though I love me some kitteh, I think I would smack whoever brought one into a data center.

15. Toshiro-san, I think this might be somebody’s recycling project. The Sun boxen is all crusty and, y’know, nearly nothing’s actually hooked up.

16. Serious eye beams.

Person caught in their path:

“I live to server you.”

17. Yeek! File under “not-cute.” When my cats do this with the freaky eye, I just assume they’re contacting the mother ship. Then, I quietly leave the room, so as not to get caught eavesdropping on their evil doomsday plans.

18. I hadn’t thought about that Theo. I was just assuming someone had done some neat cabling.
    In that case let the kitty play !
    cat /dev/cute* > /dev/kitteh.01

19. English Chick says:

Beam me up scotty, there’s no life on this planet

20. Christabel says:

Hmmm…Looks like my Crabby-Fat-Tabby.

21. Michelle says:

Boys are just as likely as girls to slap your hand if you try to fondle their racks without permission.

Oh. And ::yeem:yeem:yeem::

22. i’m with redzilla here. this picture is not cute, and laser eyes are scary. and don’t say “but what he’s DOING is cute.” it’s not. it’s what cats do, they climb on things. this is just an excuse to be clever about cats and racks. and once again, clever is not equivalent to cute.

23. AuntieMame says:

And once again “just because you think it” is not equivalent to “you need to say it.”

Laser eyes may not be “cute” but they’re certainly funny.

24. m in athens says:

Aww… Chessie’s a great name for a big ol’ cat like that. I miss the stylized kitten logo on the sides of the boxcars… one of the best ad campaigns ever, even if the connection to freight was a little tenuous (it was a holdover from passenger service days). Shame on you, boring old CSX for phasing it out. There’s a whole series of great (and very cute, I might add) advertisements for the C&O featuring Chessie, Peake, and the Kittens.

25. Because it bears repeating:
    …because it bears repeating.

26. I'm The Decider says:

I think it’s time you start posting what I decide is cute, for I’m The Decider. From now on I demand you no longer post photos of the following:

Non-creatures
    Creatures with rods/cones on their retinas
    Full-grown creatures
    Creatures that eat meat
    Creatures that may become meat
    Purebred creatures
    Slippery-looking creatures
    Scaled creatures
    Human bodies (think of the children!)

I’m sure I’ll think of more later. But for now, don’t post anything I don’t personally find cute. Thank you.

27. I'm The Decider says:

Non-creatures
    Creatures with rods/cones on their retinas
    Full-grown creatures
    Creatures that eat meat
    Creatures that may become meat
    Purebred creatures
    Slippery-looking creatures
    Scaled creatures
    Human bodies (think of the children!)

28. I'm The Decider says:

Non-creatures
    Creatures with rods/cones on their retinas
    Full-grown creatures
    Creatures that eat meat
    Creatures that may become meat
    Purebred creatures
    Slippery-looking creatures
    Scaled creatures
    Human bodies (think of the children!)

29. I'm The Decider says:

Non-creatures
    Creatures with rods/cones on their retinas
    Full-grown creatures
    Creatures that eat meat
    Creatures that may become meat
    Purebred creatures
    Slippery-looking creatures
    Scaled creatures
    Human bodies (think of the children!)

30. I'm The Decider says:

Non-creatures
    Creatures with rods/cones on their retinas
    Full-grown creatures
    Creatures that eat meat
    Creatures that may become meat
    Purebred creatures
    Slippery-looking creatures
    Scaled creatures
    Human bodies (think of the children!)

31. I'm The Decider says:

Non-creatures
    Creatures with rods/cones on their retinas
    Full-grown creatures
    Creatures that eat meat
    Creatures that may become meat
    Purebred creatures
    Slippery-looking creatures
    Scaled creatures
    Human bodies (think of the children!)

32. [snort]
    There is *no* way that wasn’t one of the CO Regulars.
    “Creatures that may become meat” — LOL.
    (Wasn’t me, tho. AuntieM?)

33. Laurie C says:

Quote by John Hodgman, which I love: “Generally speaking, I think it is fair to say that I am a friend to the creatures of the earth when I am not busy eating them or wearing them.”

34. AuntieMame says:

Not guilty. I wish, though. :)

35. shanchan says:

Ok- I’m dumb. What does yeem yeem yeem mean? Is it a laser beam sound effect? (And also please explain “patch job,” if you have time.)

36. The Guy Over There says:

Bad pun alert in 5… 4… 3… 2…

“CPU does NOT mean Cat Operated System!”

*hides from wrath of pun*

37. “Laser eyes may not be “cute” but they’re certainly funny.”

this just supports my point. this isn’t funnyoverload, it’s cuteoverload.

(you’ll just have to forgive me for griping on a cuteness site. my little campers were tyrants today and i’m not allowed to take it out on them. :-p)

38. This photograph of a “rack” offends my tender sensibilities. I am shocked; I thought this was a family site! Also, this photograph further promotes the objectification of servers. This server may not mind its “rack” being exploited so, but the damage done affects all servers. Frankly, Cute Overload, I am disappointed in you.

39. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten!

40. Um… Mr. Acronym Defiler?
    I *can* see you behind that junked PowerEdge 2600. They aren’t THAT big (but yes, I get your point; that’s why it’s in the corner & not the rack… well, maybe the crapped-out RAID controller also had something to do with it).

41. LOL Redzilla @ “contacting the mothership”!!
    What would be cute is if I had managed somehow to get a picture of the lightning bug that strayed into my apartment a few years ago and tried to make out with my computer power button. That would have fallen under “cute or sad?”

42. Kitty — not exactly disagreeing, but *I* think this nerd kitty is cute.

Shanchan — yes, “yeem” is sci-fi-style onomatopoeia; also, the use of “patch job” here could mean either a digitally-altered compositite photo, or LAN wiring connected to a network switch via CAT5 patch cables (which are mostly absent from this photo, actually–see all those empty ports?)

43. …er, that’s spelled “composite”

44. AuntieMame says:

“Kitty — not exactly disagreeing, but *I* think this nerd kitty is cute.”

Well, I am completely disagreeing. I think funny is cute. This picture is funny; therefore, it’s cute.

45. Jackie from Michigan says:

“Coming to stores July 2006: The Amazing Anamorphic Robocat, complete with LED Lazer Eye (TM) Technology. The ultimate feline for the 21st Century!”

I’m surprised Chessie hasn’t clawed that guys arm off trying to get away from those wires…

46. Brak_Silverbone says:

Every single time I take a photo of one of my cats, they’re doing this laser-beam-eye thing. I then have to explain to people that my pets are NOT night lights.

47. Michelle says:

Hey check it out! Chessie is the same kitteh famous on teh InterWebs for this other shot:

48. Michelle — I suspect Chessie (Charlie?) is one of those Boneless Cats that you can stick anywhere & they’ll just keep purring. I mean, how the heck else could a cat possibly get into those pants-hangers and fall asleep?

49. Pure determination, t-o!

50. Laser eyes and cute sound effects (“Beep meep beeep”) make for cute in my book.

Also agree that funny is cute, too.

51. I agree with Auntie Mame. When Cute is overloaded, it is also usually funny.

52. theo’s rack is sexier, ‘shopped cat and all. :)
    and clever can = cute. i like this picture, for the geek factor and cute cat.

53. Heh. It’s all the TRUSSING, you know.
    ;)

54. cuteness lover says:

I hope the kitty has some ear protection, he could go deaf!

55. Cuteness Lover — those old Sun units are pretty quiet, actually. Now, if those were some of my hand-jiggered 1U or 2U boxen, well, that’s why the main server room is down the hall.

56. cuteness lover says:

Yeah, I hear ya, THEO, sometimes I gotta kick the doggies out when I watch Star Wars, lol.

57. “I’m the Decider” LOL

Duly noted, my friend.

Duly.

Noted.

-Meg

58. Rich Fader says:

“Dude, you don’t even want to know where they stuck the power cord….”

59. It’s scary, but you still have the occasional /. er peeking in from April first. Increased pageviews for all!

60. Hey, I still read /. daily, so it’s all good.

61. John-Patrick says:

This is the lamest picture I’ve EVER seen.

62. Then congratulations! YOU WIN!!

63. That… is AWESOME! Who owns that sexy beast? I mean, I count… what, 50 ethernet jacks? And what’s in the monster on the bottom?

The cat is cute, too :3

64. Groxx — fifty 10/100 jacks on crufty *Acer* hubs, and you’re envious?
    ;)