Bombay or Bust

Isn’t there some fable about riding on a toad’s back? If there isn’t, there SHOULD be. This little mouse can’t get his paws wet—while crossing a puddle in India.

Reuters_rules

"Ehn! ehn! ehn!"

Reutersrules2_1

Floated in by Flávia A., Philip P., and Frank S., taken by Pawan Kumar for Reuters

Comments

1. I think the fable you’re thinking of is the one about how the Rat became the first sign in the Asian zodiac…the animals were all give the task to swim across a river to see what order they would appear in. The Rat hitched a ride on the back of the Ox, and when the Ox got close to the other side, jumped off and was first. Clever Rattie! =)

2. Tried to send this photo in 2 days ago but was rejected (delivery failure). Oh well ;)

This photo was actually taken during flooding in India. This little froggie is saving this mousie’s life! Tooooo cute!

3. Cute! Capt. Rattie on HMS Bufo.

4. Awwwww That is too cute. The toad is saving the little mousie.

5. Oh that’s where my son’s pets ended up.

6. Okay, going on record once again: ICK TO RATS! ICK ICK ICK!

(please continue with your misguided cuteness)

7. haHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

awwww.

8. dood. i disected a bullfrog in highschool that had a mouse in its stomach.

i’m not kidding – this may be the last photo of this mouse ever taken…

9. omg. now that is truly awesome. why can’t we humans get along together like the animal world does??

10. Fish Eye no Miko says:

Awww.. I saw a link to this on Fark.com and my first thought was, “This has GOT to end upon CO!”
    Maybe Bollywood could make a movie about this… little dacing frogs and toads! ^_^

11. Maybe not *quite* so dangerous as a bear carrying a shark.

12. Meg, there is a tale of a mouse ridng a frog’s back indeed:

13. That is so unbelievable! I can’t image why that frog is allowing that poor little mouse to bum a ride!

14. Oh, sure, Theo, it’s all fun and games… UNTIL SOMEONE’S BABY GETS STOLE!!!

15. brownamazon says:

Funny how Beijing caught on as the proper replacement for Peking, but not even my relatives who live there call it “Mumbai”… Total re-branding failure.

Also, I think the fable is about a scorpion and a toad… and lets just say things don’t turn out too well for Mister Ribbit.

16. ka9q's wife says:

awwww That is really cute, although mice can swim for a bit. I needed this. The hubby has been helping to host an AmSat conference this week and my house is filled with nerds talking about satellites and other geek stuff.

The good bit is the neighbors dog visited for a bit. Then she stole the cat’s food and ran out the door.

17. ka9q's wife says:

18. ka9q's wife says:

19. ka9q's wife says:

20. ka9q's wife says:

21. ka9q's wife says:

22. chunkstyle says:

There’s a not-so-happy fable about a scorpion riding a frog’s back, but I’d rather not bring it up in present cute company.
    :>A

23. I absolutely refuse to believe…(goes to look at pic AGAIN…) dang it, it’s really true…the mouse mouse is riding on the frog. To safety? Or did Mr. Frog just pick up something for take-away from the Tikka Mousela stand?

24. Your think this is cute????

Check out my kitty: http://www.zxocuteboy.com/2006/06/sterling-slepping-in-my-bag.html

25. Your think this is cute????

26. The toad really is that mouse’s Prince Charming! Unbelievably cute, and somehow I feel this could only happen in India.

27. I can’t believe no one has mentioned the cute froggy toes! or toady-toes!

28. Fish Eye no Miko says:

Of COURSE! That toad must be an operative for the Rescue Aid Society, and he’s taking that rat to go rescue someone!
    (Yes, I know the RAS was mice, but… well, they’re less disciminatory now.)

29. Piggalette says:

My mother’s name was Flavia. :) Anyway, very cute pic.

30. ka9q's wife says:

I keep looking at this pic. It’s really charming. I would buy a poster of this.

31. ka9q's wife says:

I keep looking at this pic. It’s really charming. I would buy a poster of this.

32. ka9q's wife says:

I keep looking at this pic. It’s really charming. I would buy a poster of this.

33. ka9q's wife says:

I keep looking at this pic. It’s really charming. I would buy a poster of this.

34. ka9q's wife says:

I keep looking at this pic. It’s really charming. I would buy a poster of this.

35. ka9q's wife says:

I keep looking at this pic. It’s really charming. I would buy a poster of this.

36. Denise in Nebraska says:

Have any of our viewing audience read the delightful children’s book “Frog and toad are friends?” Maybe amphibian life are just more inclined to be cordial to guests who attempt to invade their personal space???? It’s possible, you know. :^ )

37. hrh.squeak says:

Has anyone noticed that the photographer’s name is Paw-an? How splendidly appropriate!

38. nightbird says:

Of all the pictures that are posted here, I believe that this one is my new favorite…it is now my new official background.

39. The rat’s lil’beady eyes are all full of anticipation, like when you go on your first plane ride, or roller coaster ride.. And the frog looks like all ‘been there done that, don’t hold on so hard’….

lurvin’ the frog’s feets tho’ and the little ratty feets.

40. pocketfluff says:

F*ck the people who died in the flood, LET’S LOOK AT THE FROG AND THE MOUSE! THEY’RE ADORABLE.

*Calm down, just kidding
    **Went “aww” just like the rest of ya

41. Espilonarge says:

Is that a toad or a frog? o.o

42. Fantastic! I love this place! Whenever I’m feeling a bit sad, I can just go to Cute Overload (very appropriate name) and I’ll be sure to be cheered up. Thanks!
    :-)

43. Yay! Mr toad is the mouse’s friend! Saving the mouse! SEE…good things do happen in the world! This story made me very happy, I saw it in a newspaper yesterday but the photo was only in black and white! I never really liked toads very much until I saw this photo, now I love toads because they are mouse friends! Yay for mouse and toad friendship! The newspaper the caption is “mouse flees the floods on back of frog in Lucknow”

44. Elizabeth says:

I think that toad is having a ferry good day. The mouse definitely is.

Have you heard bullfrogs? The ones in my pond sound like truck horns – perfect for getting through that noon traffic.

45. FroggyMouse says:

Does anyone have a link to the source of these pictures?

46. Marvellous! :)

47. Redzilla! “Tikka Mousela” LOL!

48. Does anyone remember the movie “Milo and Otis?” Where they filmed the dog on the back of the turtle’s back, and the turtle gave him a ride throught the water to the shoreline? I LOVE THAT MOVIE. Dudley Moore did an excellent job in narrating it. (God rest his soul)

This pic reminds me of that, on a smalller scale. We should all learn something from this photo.

49. Tony James says:

FEMA demonstrates the latest innovation for saving lives during flooding. The agency expect to roll out the amphibious rescue units in New Orleans in time for this year’s hurricane season.

50. Holy crap, TJ — they’ve come up with a PLAN?

51. Actually, the fable you’re thinking of isn’t all cute and nice. the fable goes:

A mouse had come to a river, where bountiful oats and seeds grew on the other side. Too little to swim across, he began to cry out, when a toad appeared at the bank and offered him a ride over. the mouse, seeing the toad’s ugliness, was hestiant, but the toad’s words were like honey, and made an oath that the mouse would make it safetly across. Halfway into the trip, however, the toad swam straight down, leaving the mouse to drown.

the moral of the story is not to trust someone by their words or some such, but it’s still depressing.

the original link the Aespo’s fable is here:

52. Brak_Silverbone says:

Bwa ha ha! Good one, TJ!

53. How nice, is the Mouse King in a meeting with Frog Queen hahahaha

54. “I’m Off On This Toad To Morrocco”

55. Ooh, we have forgotten about “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride”!

56. R. Moore says:

I actually thought of the old song of the toad courting the mouse. There is a more American-folksy style that most people seem to recognize when they hear, and an older English version (about 1611, according to this link). I grew up with a cross between the two… Don’t know if this site has it or not.

57. awwww, love it! straight out of Aesops. awesome.

58. Aww. 2 of my fave creatures :) Looks like photoshopped, but wonderful that it’s real!

59. The Guy Over There says:

Whoah… serious “Wind in The Willows” moment here. Okay, the scenario:

Toad just lost his boat from another one of his misadventures when he just acquired a powerful motorboat. Water rat tags along for the safety of his chum, but as soon as they think all is well, the boat crashes into a large waterlogged tree, stranding the two in a large body of water. Toad, as adventurous as ever, offers to swim across with Water Rat on his back.

This aside, I think think Gohan and Aochan are the best.

60. Super cute pic but yeah, frogs definitely eat mice. I saw a nature film where a toad swallowed a mouse in one gulp, including the tail. I hope mousie is smart enough to exit from the rear, not the front.

61. JBo, that’s awesome! Thanks for the link.

62. smokeyJoe says:

that’s a frickin rat!

ugh

63. i knew it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned “photoshop”!

64. Aw let ‘em. I guess they’re happier if their world is fake.

65. adrianna says:

… does the toad even know?

66. If the toad suddenly sprouted two wheels and had a ‘Harley’ label on it’s side, would it be the mouse’s warthog?

67. Ohhhhh that is sooooooo kawaiiiiiii

68. Mice are nice.

More mice, please.

69. A Fine Morsel says:

I love them! Mr. Toad is like, don’t dig in too deep with them mouse nails o’ yourn…!

70. I love these pics… the toad is gorgeous, and it has a delightful fairy tale feel to it.

71. I was just about to send this to you, and someone beat me to it! The Cuteologists are quick. :-) Ehn!

72. cuteness lover says:

I love seeing animals helping eachother, so cute.

73. Hill1727 says:

There once was a mouse named Shivers

And whenever he got wet, it gave him the quivers

But soon a problem he met, because he needed to cross two rivers

That is when he met Randolph the fat friendly Toad Ferry

Who was happy no matter what load he had to carry

Grab onto my warts Randolph said

And be sure not to stand on my head

So Shivers held on tight

and Randolph swam with all his might

To cross two rivers

so that Shivers

could have tea with his uncle Smithers

without getting a case of the quivers.

74. The version I know is a dark fable about your inherent nature defeating you. A scorpion wishes to cross a river and spies a frog. He asks the frog for a ride across, but the frog says that the scorpion might kill him with his stinger. The scorpion points out that if this happens, he would drown as well, so there’s nothing to fear. The frog agrees, they swim across, and as they approach the opposite bank, the scorpion stings the frog. As they sink, the frog asks why did the scorpion doom them both, and the scorpion replies: “I couldn’t help myself – it’s in my nature.”

75. it a puddle i could walk over it

76. There is an ancient Greek parody of the Iliad, attributed to the writer Hesiod, called “The Battle of the Frogs and the Mice.” The war between the two groups begins as you see it in the photo. You can see the first part of it here: http://www.georgewmartin.com/SamplePage1.htm
    (The illustrations for this version were done by the late Fred Gwynne, probably best known as Herman Munster.)

77. Garret Sandow says:

And then the rodent got his level 40 mount.

78. Ewwwwwww! Toads R gross!!!!

79. There’s a book, “Abel’s Island,” where the hero is a mouse that’s been stranded on an island. At some point, he considers escaping the island by swimming away with his friend the toad . . .

80. Toltrin says:

OK, You DO realize that Bufos (Toads) have parotid poison glands (look up the Cane Toad). This sure is a cure picture for sure, nevertheless, this animal is topically dangerous – even to humans. I took 1 year of Herpatology.

81. sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!