The 300 Kilometer Hamster

OK, this guy needs a friggin’ shout out.

Let’s pan over to the Netherlands where Mathijs van der Paauw asked himself the following questions: Have you ever wondered how far and how fast a hamster runs on her treadmill? To find out, Mathijs created a custom HamsterTracker™. Allow me to introduce you to "Lucy" (1.0 and 2.0), the hamster who has clocked 300 kilometers on her hamster wheel.

Check out the stats!

He includes Lucy’s treadmill graphs and water consumption, food expenses, total distance, How to make a treadmill sensor—it goes on and on. This is her treadmill, below:

He also has some delightful treat recipes:

"The recipe is simple:

• Wash apple and some fresh parsley
  • Cut out a piece of apple, preferably dice shaped. And don’t use a large knife! like I did. Ask help if you’re under 40!
  • Use a toothpick to punch a small hole in the apple
  • Place parsley in the just made hole
  • Serve immediately! (So the apple is still fresh)"

Treat

Thanks for sending in, Lee B.

Comments

1. Meow House says:

A hamster with sweet fresh breath! (Parsley is a natural breath “mint.”)

Alternatively, an attractive garnish to Hamster en Croute. [ :-O ]

2. kendosan says:

Hey, stop eating my island!

(damn, that is cute.)

3. Wow, hamster TPS reports.

4. I LOVE LUCY!!

5. Isn’t it funny that the hammies owner is named van der Paauw?

6. Man that is beyond cool! I’m a marathoner, so Lucy’s my hero.

7. I thought that was a very relational choice of names, in a hammie sort of way!

8. that is one industrious hamster.

I heard a story (can’t remember source) about a guy who rigged up his hamster or gerbil’s wheel to charge his cellphone every night–no lie!

9. OMG! What cute hamster treats!

10. dwarf rabbit owner too! says:

This is just a bit too we yahd fa me LOL…But hey, what ever turns the hamster wheel,knock yourself out!

11. E. Collison says:

Gee, look at that little guy eat! He’s (she’s?) very delicate about it – I guess he appreciates the artful presentation.

That wheel is making me think of bottles and bottles of green olives with pimientos…

12. thats so cute in the first picture where the hamster is just peering around the corner at it. he’s all like “ooooooooh tree for me”

13. E. Collison says:

I’m not a big hamster fan, but Lucy 2.0 is very, very kawaii! I like the “exploring the couch” pics on Mathijs’ site.

14. I had two hamsters and none of them liked the treadmill but they were so cute…

Go Lucy!

15. dwarf rabbit owner too! says:

E.C It really does look like green olives…I thought so too!

16. Too cute! :D

17. Beauregard says:

Hammie gourmet! How cute are these hammies and what a great owner for comming up with fun and delicious fresh treats! Thanks Mathijs!

18. AWW! Does he have little doll furniture to go with the decorations?

That food creation is adorable just like he is.

19. Courtney says:

Awww, that hammie is very cute, especially when approaching the treat.

I tried to get my gerbils to use an exercise wheel, but they would have none of it. They would knock it over and bury it.

20. That is so adorable!

21. that cell phone hamster wheel invention is the shit. i had hamsters my whole childhood and being a light sleeper, all i got was bags under my eyes

22. If Lucy only knew…
    (yay Onion)

23. Subhangi says:

Awwwwww, what a cutie. And her owner’s a genius!

24. Jillybean says:

Don’t any of you think this is all alittle…I dunno, disturbing? Stats major meets energetic hamster??? – everybody needs a hobby, but I think I’ll stick to guitar playing.

25. Taking hard drugs is disturbing, sadism is disuturbing, homicide is disturbing, eating hair is disturbing.
    This, however, is a fantastically clever creation and a constructive use of time. ::nods authorititavely::
    :P

26. very cute hammie………MORE!

27. Lee….

That is so cool!!! I love making little party appetizers and you’ve given me a lot of new ideas! Looks like lil palm trees:o) AND your little Lucy is adorable! My son wants a hamster, but we have two cats, I’m afraid it might get loose from his hands and become meow chow :o(

28. AAAAAYYY…..Rooooocieeeeee! I’m Home!

29. it’s the “ask [for] help if you’re under 40″ that really got me.
    40 inches??

perhaps lucy will fill the hole left by baruchito’s Passing.

30. Lucy has the most expressive face! What a total vortex of cuteness!

–TwoDragons

31. Cute Overload: People everywhere suddently develop strange cases of saccharide shock.

32. Awww! The snack is decorative *and* tasty!

33. Lucy leaves the energiser bunny for dead. But how many Lucys would it take to power a light bulb?

34. Jillybean-
    You’re right. Cool and innovative things are disturbing indeed.

35. that treat is cute! perfect match for the ham. :)

36. wonderful recipie.

37. That was like 80% more cute than I really needed. So cute!

38. GB — how many percentage points plus or minus are you allowing for uncertainty, statistically speaking?
    Heh.

39. John Gallagher says:

What a great site.

40. Hey, when the hamster’s lookin’ at the wheel in the top photo, he’s like, “What the hell is that??”