Rule#11: A cute animal + food = even cuter

Alertly point out by photographer extraordinaire Kora Manheimer The bunny "Oolong" has earned his spot on the Internet by balancing dessert items on his head.

Soba3

Please also see my new favorite site photo, submitted by Lora Singleton, of a Daschund puppy in a bun.

Lorasingleton_1

And let’s not forget that we must bow down to the Japanese in every category [Japanese national anthem playing in background] For their brilliant kittens and puppies as sushi and desserts sent in by Rae Wescott:

Rae_wescott_1Raewescott2_1

Comments

1. Mmmmm… yum.

2. The bunny is amusing, but the one with the puppy just looks sick. Maybe it’d be funny if it were a fully conscious, full-grown dog sandwiched in a giant bun, but that puppy just looks so helpless it’s sad.

3. Oolong is the best-known object-balancing rabbit ever – he even has his own Wikipedia article!

Unfortunately Oolong passed away in 2003, but his successor is Yuebing, who is also becoming an accomplished object-balancer.

4. I have a picture of a full grown daschund in a bun costume. I should send that in, since that puppy does look a little sad.

5. Awww I love the picture of the dog in the bun.

6. I have to say that the little kitten and puppy sushi and desserts kind of turns my stomach. Considering all of the strange foods the Japanese like to eat, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if there wasn’t some truth to these little edible creations. (ever watch “Iron Chef” on T.V.??) These things are not my idea of “cute” at all.

7. Puppy sandwich! says:

Another puppy on a bun:

8. RedRabbit says:

Those puppy dessert plush are adorable! Was that image ganked from an online store? I would love to know where I could purchase one.

9. That cotton candy cat is called Nyan-Nyan Nyanko. It’s produced as plushies, stationery, stickers, etc by a company called San-X (kind of like Sanrio/Hello Kitty ?). Just in case you wanted to know.. ^_^

10. The Japanese don’t eat cats and dogs. That’s the Chinese. I should know I live in Japan.

11. ohh! that puppy is so yummy.. I could eat him up!

12. Oh yes, this site would not be complete without a tribute to Oolong.

13. I want to know where I can buy those sushi puppies o.o

14. Dustbunny says:

Do a Google search for “Nyan-Nyan Nyanko” and you’ll find a site that sells the plush kitty and more cuteness.

15. Anyone having any luck finding these? I’ve got some of these plushies, but I can’t find the sushi pups or the cotton candy kitty…

16. As a Chinese person I really take offense to the comment from ashley. I’ve never eaten cat or dog and from what I’ve learned in history books and such many countrys (including European countries like France) have eaten dogs and cats especially in times of war when the country is starving and their cows are too valuable to eat because they produce milk, plow fields, etc.

17. also … if you type in “san-x” and “plush” in ebay search…you will find tons!

18. i don’t find the photo of the little dog between two slices of bread cute at all. i find it shocking. What is it? hot dog??!!!

19. Sorry, but I take large offense to the blatant racism here. It shouldn’t matter that you’re japanese, chinese, whatever, and if you’ve seen iron chef, none of that should lead you to believe that cats and or dogs are eaten. There are some rare instances of people suffering from crippling poverty in every country at some point in time eating small animals. Squirrels are cute, and many americans eat them. Same with bunny. Why, then, does everyone assume a rumor they hear about another people is true? Do some research or say that you heard it, don’t purport it as fact.

20. comeonnow says:

actually people, let’s get this straight.
    I lived in china for a year and i often saw on menus “black dog” or “yellow dog”. While it was disturbing and I didn’t partake in it (i am a vegetarian) you have to realize that it is cultural. In China people don’t keep these animals as pets… so to them it is as normal as eating cow. Also, in the US people often eat rabbit… so let’s remember not to throw stones in glass houses, kay?

21. As to the eating of dogs in China (and Vietnam, I think — I could swear that they have a dog eating festival once a year, no joke), it’s not racist to say that this is so — it’s racist (or culturally biased) to say that it’s wrong.

It is a strange line to draw, and purely relative, that eating cows is right and eating dogs is wrong. Same with the bunnies and squirrels — why is it okay with mainstream Western culture to eat pigs (who are intelligent animals, smarter than dogs, it is said) but not to eat rodents?

Silly.

22. To Rae Wescott, wherever did you find the cute photo of the dog plushes?! A few of us are trying to figure out who makes them and if they can be purchased online. ;) Thanks!

23. I have to find those dog plushies!!!!

There are people in China and elsewhere that eat cats & dogs. But if you eat cows & pigs, you aren’t really one to say that it’s wrong. That’s why everyone should be vegetarian.

24. cats & dogs are eaten all around the world and for different reasons – sometimes there is no alternative and sometimes people just like it.
    http://www.messybeast.com/eat-cats.htm i’ve eaten horse and kangaroo.

25. dark_moonlight says:

the pec of the dog in a hot dog bun mad me lol a LOT!!!

26. zombie sweetheart says:

the bunny looks like it has a big shit on its head

27. i hate those pics. its cruel

28. Lili of the Valley says:

Why dont you just shoot me? O wait! My head exploded, you waited to long!

29. cuteiscool says:

all cat and dog things aside, this whole site is about animal love. the ads about animal friendly items, donate to animal sancutaries, and so on. So WHY is it that the Japanese are so great on this site? They may have good things, but SOMEONE on site site should realize that Japan kills OVER 20,000 dolphins a year, as well as WHALES. don’t believe? go to http://www.bluevoice.org watch the clips. or google it. Then say japan is great. I dare you.

30. Desertrose says:

2 words funny funny

31. The Japanese don’t eat cats and dogs. That’s the Chinese. I should know I live in Japan.

Posted by: ashley | Jan 02, 2006 at 03:17 AM
    actually people, let’s get this straight.

Posted by: comeonnow | Jan 05, 2006 at 09:53 AM

32. ummmm……..poor thing! to bad it can’t see what you guys are doing!

33. Erm, no…Chinese people don’t eat dog. I’ve been to many places in China, and saw no dogs being eaten, or on menus. Some people think that Chinese people are squinty eyed freaks who eat innocent puppies and kittens like babaric savages. Oh, and not to offend Korean people, I heard that in SOME places in Korea they eat dogs. I saw pictures of a crying puppy in a cage by a food stall, and a dude eating a boiled dog. It made me cry. Oh, and in China people do have pets. I saw countless people with lapdogs pet their dogs and kitties. And crickets. :P

Posted by: Moo | Jul 05, 2006 at 08:11 PM

Ditto that. Pets are extremely common in China now, and although I’m certain that there are rare places in which they do eat what is considered unedible or barbaric to eat, it is certainly not on the normal menu.

Comeonnow:Eating dog is not cultural. And… where the hell in China have you been living in?

Ashley: I take offense in that. Excuse you. I honestly don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

34. My word, people.

If you judge peoples’ decision to eat dogs or cats, why don’t you have a problem with eating cow or chicken?

It doesn’t hurt to think outside your own cultural reference point sometime.

Peace out~

p.s. Whaling isn’t the coolest thing in the world, but it doesn’t mean there aren’t people in Japan that are sympathetic to the issue. We often seem to argue with each other instead of banding together for the common good.